Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
15 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
21 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
4 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Gardenofstone10 Gardenofstone10 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Gardenofstone10's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Detroit, MI
203
6
6
48
Default Keep The Lights On

I was wondering if anyone here has seen this (Keep the Lights On). It's coming out on BD later this month and I wanna know if it's worth it before taking a 35 dollar plunge. From what I gather it's about a gay couple and one of them is struggling with a drug addiction. Almost looks like this decade's My Own Private Idaho. Any thoughts?
Hate Kills Us All
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
iScottie iScottie is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
iScottie's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Rhode Island
609
86
197
Default


Quote:
In Manhattan, filmmaker Erik bonds with closeted lawyer Paul after a fling. As their relationship becomes one fueled by highs, lows, and dysfunctional patterns, Erik struggles to negotiate his own boundaries while being true to himself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenofstone10 View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has seen this (Keep the Lights On). It's coming out on BD later this month and I wanna know if it's worth it before taking a 35 dollar plunge. From what I gather it's about a gay couple and one of them is struggling with a drug addiction. Almost looks like this decade's My Own Private Idaho. Any thoughts?
I saw it when it opened in NY. Here are my thoughts copied from the Gay Cinema thread:

I would recommend it. I liked this film, though not as much as I'd hoped to. I really didn't feel the appropriate chemistry between the leads, and that caused me not to care about anything between them during the whole film. Although, when I saw it, afterwards the director spoke quite a bit about the making of it..and knowing that it's a very personal, real story..I kind of came to appreciate it more over time. Just don't expect it to break any of the usual 'gay' conventions (which was what I went into it expecting).

Your own summary of what you think it's about is pretty much entirely correct...it's just that (kinda spoiler-y)
[Show spoiler]when there isn't much chemistry between the characters, and we're supposed to be invested in this decade-long relationship where the one character constantly mistreats the other, you start to become a bit uninterested and start waiting for the relationship to end already.


I look forward to getting this release, personally. If it sounds appealing, I'd say see it.

Last edited by Hawkguy; 01-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
brandon_260 brandon_260 is offline
Special Member
 
brandon_260's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Canada
610
130
9
Default

A top 5 of 2012 for me. Certainly will be picking it up. Hope it comes with some decent bonus features.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Gardenofstone10 Gardenofstone10 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Gardenofstone10's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Detroit, MI
203
6
6
48
Default

Both of you, thank you. Makes me happy to hear. Gay cinema is something that is sooo underrated and I try to keep my eyes open for a good drama and good story. I'll be picking this one up, thank you
Hate Kills Us All
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Arlington Arlington is offline
Expert Member
 
Arlington's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
DC Metro
1
Default

Just a heads up, Deep Discount (I know, I know...a deal breaker for some) has this in their new catalog, so the code DDBB44 will knock 10% off the price, making it $19.27, which I think is the cheapest around...but you would need to be buying more to get free shipping. Carry on!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Just a heads up, Deep Discount (I know, I know...a deal breaker for some) has this in their new catalog, so the code DDBB44 will knock 10% off the price, making it $19.27, which I think is the cheapest around...but you would need to be buying more to get free shipping. Carry on!
Well, it looks like the $21-something price with shipping is really the lowest price to buy this for right now. When I saw your post the other day I thought--it's probably going to be this low elsewhere on release date too--but doesn't look like it. It won't be in stores or anything, so looks to be the best option. I'll still wait a couple days to see if a better price shows up somewhere, I wish it would.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
JMK JMK is offline
Blu-ray reviewer
 
JMK's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
-
Default

Keep the Lights On Blu-ray Review
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Nielsb90 Nielsb90 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Nielsb90's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Denmark
38
481
13
2
6
Default

My teachers brother plays Erik in this..


Useless knowledge I know..
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Tommy0807 Tommy0807 is online now
Active Member
 
Tommy0807's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Omaha, NE
354
523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
Well, it looks like the $21-something price with shipping is really the lowest price to buy this for right now. When I saw your post the other day I thought--it's probably going to be this low elsewhere on release date too--but doesn't look like it. It won't be in stores or anything, so looks to be the best option. I'll still wait a couple days to see if a better price shows up somewhere, I wish it would.
I thought the same thing (that it would be lower priced elsewhere by release date), but no such luck. I got it from deepdiscount--I've had MOSTLY positive dealings with them--for $21.41. It arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to watch it. I haven't seen it before, but am intrigued by the mostly positive reviews, and since director Ira Sachs directed THE DELTA which I loved, up until that film abandons the lead character in the last portion of the film and starts following another more peripheral character.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy0807 View Post
I thought the same thing (that it would be lower priced elsewhere by release date), but no such luck. I got it from deepdiscount--I've had MOSTLY positive dealings with them--for $21.41. It arrived yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to watch it. I haven't seen it before, but am intrigued by the mostly positive reviews, and since director Ira Sachs directed THE DELTA which I loved, up until that film abandons the lead character in the last portion of the film and starts following another more peripheral character.
I got mine from Deepdiscount too...will probably arrive in the next couple days. Do post your opinion on it once you see it. I haven't seen any of his other films, but I plan to...so I will take that as a recommendation. He seemed like a nice guy and the film is really well made...I'd like to see the rest.

Last edited by Hawkguy; 01-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
bookcase bookcase is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bookcase's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Chicago, IL
1340
2
Default

This is a movie I'm dying to see. I somehow missed the Deep Discount lower price, so the cheapest price I can find is on eBay. I think I'll rent it on my Apple TV tonight instead of blind buying it at such an expensive price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Tommy0807 Tommy0807 is online now
Active Member
 
Tommy0807's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Omaha, NE
354
523
Default

I bought The Delta on DVD many years ago. I think it's been out-of-print for years. I haven't watched it in a long time, so it's time to revisit it. I just checked some reviews on imdb.com and people either love it or hate it.

Keep the Lights On has jumped to over $27 on deepdiscount. It's $24.95 on wolfevideo.com, but they add $3.95 for shipping, so it's roughly the same price either place.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
bookcase bookcase is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bookcase's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Chicago, IL
1340
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy0807 View Post
I bought The Delta on DVD many years ago. I think it's been out-of-print for years. I haven't watched it in a long time, so it's time to revisit it. I just checked some reviews on imdb.com and people either love it or hate it.

Keep the Lights On has jumped to over $27 on deepdiscount. It's $24.95 on wolfevideo.com, but they add $3.95 for shipping, so it's roughly the same price either place.
I just checked: if you use the code 5OFF on wolf video.com, you can get $5 -- so the total w/ shipping would be $23.90.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #15
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
I just checked: if you use the code 5OFF on wolf video.com, you can get $5 -- so the total w/ shipping would be $23.90.
How did I not know about this site?!

..$23.90 isn't too bad, but still..watching it first is a better option..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
iScottie iScottie is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
iScottie's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Rhode Island
609
86
197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
How did I not know about this site?!

..$23.90 isn't too bad, but still..watching it first is a better option..
Some of the movies on that site look like pornos lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #17
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Some of the movies on that site look like pornos lol
Yeeeaahh, unfortunately that usually tells you the quality...and as you can see, they're most of it .
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
bookcase bookcase is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bookcase's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Chicago, IL
1340
2
Default

Wolfe Video is a legit company -- they produce a lot of gay-themed movies. I assume they're like TLA Video, who sells "mainstream" movies along with adult-themed fare. I've never ordered from Wolfe, though.

I went ahead and rented this on my Apple TV last night and I loved it. I found it to be a very touching story, and not to sound cliché, but it haunted me once it was over. The fact that it's based on the director's own history makes it even more compelling. I'll gladly add this to my collection.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
Tommy0807 Tommy0807 is online now
Active Member
 
Tommy0807's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Omaha, NE
354
523
Default

I've ordered from Wolfe a few times. They're gay-owned, and they distribute gay-themed (non-pornographic) films. They have some softcore-ish titles, but nothing hardcore. I was surprised when everyone started calling it porn, since I've never thought of them that way.

They released the recent film The Wise Kids, which, unfortunately was only released on DVD and not Blu-ray. I broke down and bought it anyway, and I thought it was great.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the Keep the Lights On thread. I'm hoping to watch my copy this weekend. I'll report back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Hawkguy Hawkguy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
May 2011
NJ
520
20
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy0807 View Post
I've ordered from Wolfe a few times. They're gay-owned, and they distribute gay-themed (non-pornographic) films. They have some softcore-ish titles, but nothing hardcore. I was surprised when everyone started calling it porn, since I've never thought of them that way.

They released the recent film The Wise Kids, which, unfortunately was only released on DVD and not Blu-ray. I broke down and bought it anyway, and I thought it was great.
I want to see that film soon too--glad to hear you liked it. I see a lot of them are released DVD-only..and I often miss them since I get most news from here for blu-rays...I'd love any other recommendations, since you seem caught-up with a lot of stuff

Just to be clear--I wasn't calling them that, I just meant the more exploitive covers usually were a sign of their quality, not that they themselves were 'porn' or anything like that ...I don't think of them that way either

Last edited by Hawkguy; 02-01-2013 at 08:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 PM.