COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ranma : Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.08
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK
Default BAFTA 2013 Nominations Announced - Lincoln Leads With 10

The nominations for the BAFTAS were announced this morning. Lincoln leads with ten niminations (which should give it a nice boost for its British release on the 25th) followed by Les Miserables and Life of Pi with 9 each. Skyfall got a lot of love from BAFTA as well (expectedly and rightfully so) with eight nominations. Other multiple nominees include Argo with 7, Anna Karenina with 6 (possibly the most notice it will get at a major awards ceremony thanks to its British ties) and Django Unchained with 5.

The list in full:

BEST FILM
Argo
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
Anna Karenina
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Seven Psychopaths
Skyfall

LEADING ACTOR
Ben Affleck - Argo
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master

LEADING ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard - Rust and Bone
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Dame Helen Mirren - Hitchcock
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin - Argo
Javier Bardem - Skyfall
Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams - The Master
Dame Judi Dench - Skyfall
Sally Field - Lincoln
Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
Helen Hunt - The Sessions

DIRECTOR
Ben Affleck - Argo
Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
Michael Haneke - Amour
Ang Lee - Life of Pi
Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Amour - Michael Haneke
Django Unchained - Quentin Tarantino
The Master - Paul Thomas Anderson
Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty - Mark Boal

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Argo - Chris Terrio
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi - David Magee
Lincoln - Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook - David O Russell

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
James Bobin (director) - The Muppets
Dexter Fletcher (director/writer) and Danny King (writer) - Wild Bill
Tina Gharavi (director/writer) - I Am Nasrine
Bart Layton (director) and Dmitri Doganis (producer) - The Imposter
David Morris (director) and Jaqui Morris (director/producer) - McCullin

ANIMATED FILM
Brave
Frankenweenie
Paranorman

DOCUMENTARY
The Imposter
Marley
McCullin
Searching for Sugarman
West of Memphis

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Amour
Headhunters
The Hunt
Rust and Bone
Untouchable

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Anna Karenina
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

COSTUME DESIGN
Anna Karenina
Great Expectations
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Snow White and the Huntsman

EDITING
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

MAKE UP AND HAIR
Anna Karenina
Hitchcock
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Miserables
Lincoln

ORIGINAL MUSIC
Anna Karenina
Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Anna Karenina
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

SOUND
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Skyfall

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
The Dark Knight Rises
Life of Pi
Marvel Avengers Assemble
Prometheus

SHORT ANIMATION
Here to Fall
I'm Fine Thanks
The Making of Longbird

SHORT FILM
The Curse
Good Night
Swimmer
Tumult
The Voorman Problem

RISING STAR (public vote)
Elizabeth Olsen
Andrea Riseborough
Suraj Sharma
Juno Temple
Alicia Vikander

Last edited by Buddy Ackerman; 01-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Ehh, BAFTA's have been getting less and less interesting each year.
Films of the Summer I'll check out: Guardians of the Galaxy, The Expendables 3, The Rover, Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood, Calvary, Frank, Godzilla, The Raid 2, The LEGO Movie, Under the Skin
Most Recent Blu-Ray Purchases: The LEGO Movie
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

I think it's a fairly strong line-up this year, at least out of the films I've seen. And, whilst they may follow the rest of the awards season with the big ones, they always have a less grandiose tone that allows stuff like Skyfall, Seven Psychopaths and headhunters to get some awards attention. Even if it's the British connection it's nice to see Dench getting a nod for Skyfall, nowhere else will do that. Plus they fell in love with Hugo last year and I can't fault them for that.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Yeah it seems like the BAFTA's always give some love to some of the smaller films that deserve attention but aren't getting any. So that's why I'm surprised The Perks of Being a Wallflower didn't get anything.

Also, if a film gets nominated for best British film does it not qualify for best film? Seems kinda skewed.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ801 View Post
Also, if a film gets nominated for best British film does it not qualify for best film? Seems kinda skewed.
Les Mis is nominated for both (so guess what's going to win Oustanding British Film)
Films of the Summer I'll check out: Guardians of the Galaxy, The Expendables 3, The Rover, Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood, Calvary, Frank, Godzilla, The Raid 2, The LEGO Movie, Under the Skin
Most Recent Blu-Ray Purchases: The LEGO Movie
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Apr 2010
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ801 View Post
Yeah it seems like the BAFTA's always give some love to some of the smaller films that deserve attention but aren't getting any. So that's why I'm surprised The Perks of Being a Wallflower didn't get anything.

I was also very surprised by Perks getting no noms.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Hobbit with 3. Anyone else notice the Spielberg snub for director? 10 nominations for the movie, no nod for the director.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 01-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Les Mis is nominated for both (so guess what's going to win Oustanding British Film)
Well, no. Not necessarily. Although the logic there sort-of makes sense - if it's good enough to be in the 'Best Film' category then surely it's better than four that are not? - it doesn't always work like that. In 2010 An Education was up for both but lost Best British Film to Fish Tank (which wasn't up for Best Film). The year before Atonement (up for both) lost Best British Film to This Is England. The year before that Last King of Scotland and The Queen were both up for both - Scotland won Best British Film, The Queen won Best Film. Year before that Constant Gardener (up for both) lost Best British Film to Wallace and Gromit. year before Vera Drake (both) lost to My Summer of Love...

BAFTA judge both by slightly different criterea (the British one looking at how Britishy it is -not the main apsect, obviously, but a factor) though, in the case of Atonement and The Queen I think it's a case of splitting their votes to allow smaller films to not get trounced (not that it happened with The King's Speech). So it's not as easy a formula as it seems.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Hobbit with 3. Anyone else notice the Spielberg snub for director? 10 nominations for the movie, no nod for the director.
Good point, I hadn't noticed that. But it's a tough category this year and, although I haven't seen it yet, people who have seen it say a lot of its power comes from the cast and Spielberg steps back and lets that happen. Obviously that still takes skill but I can see why, if that's the case, the five chosen might have pipped him to it as all showcase their directors in a stronger light.

I thoguht Hobbit, despite the critical reaction, might get a couple more (and The Dark Knight Rises, actually) - nothing major but I'm surprised original Music isn't in there along with a couple more technical nods (Production Design, Costumes, etc). Would have thought the Tolkein and British connection would have given it some BAFTA notice but I guess Anna Karenina is taking up a few of the 'obligatory' nods.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Ackerman View Post
Good point, I hadn't noticed that. But it's a tough category this year and, although I haven't seen it yet, people who have seen it say a lot of its power comes from the cast and Spielberg steps back and lets that happen. Obviously that still takes skill but I can see why, if that's the case, the five chosen might have pipped him to it as all showcase their directors in a stronger light.

I thoguht Hobbit, despite the critical reaction, might get a couple more (and The Dark Knight Rises, actually) - nothing major but I'm surprised original Music isn't in there along with a couple more technical nods (Production Design, Costumes, etc). Would have thought the Tolkein and British connection would have given it some BAFTA notice but I guess Anna Karenina is taking up a few of the 'obligatory' nods.
The BAFTAS passed Spielberg over for Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, and every movie he's made in the last 14 years. They did, however, nominate TinTin for animated film...(it lost).
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
The BAFTAS passed Spielberg over for Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, and every movie he's made in the last 14 years. They did, however, nominate TinTin for animated film...(it lost).
True but then how much award recognition has he gotten from anyone in the last 14 years? The only serious contenders were Munich and War Horse and, to be fair, they didn't get much attention elsewhere either (he was up for Best Director for Munich at the Oscars of course but it never really gained much traction).

I don't mean this as a slur, he's my favourite director and I've loved (to varying degrees) everything he's done over the past decade or so but A.I. Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can, the Terminal, War of the Worlds, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Tintin - none of them are really awards bait, even if you could see some slipping in on good will or in a slow year (Catch Me if You Can but then 2002 was a very strong year for directors - Rob Marshall aside but then everyone loved him at the time).

And, again, Color Purple and Empire of the Sun are both great (especially Empire) but they didn't get much serious awards recognition from anyone. And Raiders is a classic but it's a blockbuster so that's not odd that it was overlooked for Best Director. I don't think the BAFTAs have anything against him. He's been nominated five times and won once. And losing to Peter Weir, Richard Attenborough, Alan Parker and Stanley Kubrick isn't too bad.

Last edited by Buddy Ackerman; 01-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
True but then how much award recognition has he gotten from anyone in the last 14 years? The only serious contenders were Munich and War Horse and, to be fair, they didn't get much attention elsewhere either (he was up for Best Director for Munich at the Oscars of course but it never really gained much traction).

I don't mean this as a slur, he's my favourite director and I've loved (to varying degrees) everything he's done over the past decade or so but A.I. Minority Report, Catch Me if You Can, the Terminal, War of the Worlds, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Tintin - none of them are really awards bait, even if you could see some slipping in on good will or in a slow year (Catch Me if You Can but then 2002 was a very strong year for directors - Rob Marshall aside but then everyone loved him at the time).

And, again, Color Purple and Empire of the Sun are both great (especially Empire) but they didn't get much serious awards recognition from anyone. And Raiders is a classic but it's a blockbuster so that's not odd that it was overlooked for Best Director. I don't think the BAFTAs have anything against him. He's been nominated five times and won once. And losing to Peter Weir, Richard Attenborough, Alan Parker and Stanley Kubrick isn't too bad.
Spielberg received the DGA for Color Purple, lost the DGA nomination for Empire of the Sun to The Last Emperor. Not nominated for either by the BAFTAs and the Academy. DGA nomination for Munich, DGA nomination for Lincoln, not nominated for either by the BAFTAs. I'm not suggesting some mass paranoid conspiracy against Mr. Spielberg by the Brits - they nominated him for Jaws when the Academy didn't. But it's a curious trend. Spileberg is crazy talented, and crazy wealthy, and he's a sentimentalist who connects with audiences, and I think people in the industry hate him for it, like Salieri watching the young kid rip it up with Marriage of Figaro.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Spielberg received the DGA for Color Purple, lost the DGA nomination for Empire of the Sun to The Last Emperor. Not nominated for either by the BAFTAs and the Academy. DGA nomination for Munich, DGA nomination for Lincoln, not nominated for either by the BAFTAs. I'm not suggesting some mass paranoid conspiracy against Mr. Spielberg by the Brits - they nominated him for Jaws when the Academy didn't. But it's a curious trend. Spileberg is crazy talented, and crazy wealthy, and he's a sentimentalist who connects with audiences, and I think people in the industry hate him for it, like Salieri watching the young kid rip it up with Marriage of Figaro.
But, DGA nominations (and the win) aside, those aren't films that gained any serious traction elsewhere either. As I say, I'm a huge fan of the guy, a massive fan and his work as a director in any given year would almost certainly rank in my top five for that year (yes, even The Terminal). So I also, with my stated bias, believe he's good enough to be nominated. But your first post seemed to imply that those films being overlooked by BAFTA were something to do specifically with BAFTA, whereas the industry as a whole (as you say above) didn't warm to them in a huge way - not in an awards sense, anyway.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
But, DGA nominations (and the win) aside, those aren't films that gained any serious traction elsewhere either. As I say, I'm a huge fan of the guy, a massive fan and his work as a director in any given year would almost certainly rank in my top five for that year (yes, even The Terminal). So I also, with my stated bias, believe he's good enough to be nominated. But your first post seemed to imply that those films being overlooked by BAFTA were something to do specifically with BAFTA, whereas the industry as a whole (as you say above) didn't warm to them in a huge way - not in an awards sense, anyway.
I hear you - just saying ever since the outrage over The Color Purple's astonishing 0-12 loss at the Oscars (with Spielberg not even landing a nomination despite winning the DGA), people with eyes that see have been sensitive to the man racking up Guild awards yet getting snubbed in industry awards. I don't know what the reason is, its probably foolish to even speculate.

I remember when the first critics circle awards announced for 1993, and they chose Schindler's List for Best Picture but gave Best Director to Jane Campion for The Piano. It was like a bomb went off in the trades and the press, and critics and writers finally said enough. Spielberg won every single awards group after that for Schindler's, but the initial snub was a reminder of what had happened with The Color Purple, and people weren't tolerating it any more.

I had dinner with Allison Anders a few years after that, and she told me she sat through Schindler's List with a sneer on her face the entire time. That's how deep the envy and jealousy of Spielberg goes -- you can watch something like Schindler's List, and sneer at it and hate it because of the success and wealth of the director. Salieri incarnate.

The BAFTA snub may work out exactly like that scenario from 20 years ago (exactly 20 years ago, I just realized). But maybe not -- we shall see.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 01-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Overall, pretty well rounded set of nominations. They even managed to show The Master some love - more than I'm expecting from the Academy tomorrow. In some cases, they nominated the right films and performances without letting some of the popular, cool choices from this awards season to get in over more deserving work.

Obviously, the Academy will nominate more than these 5 Best Picture contenders tomorrow. Otherwise, my only real complains are with Best Director (no Spielberg?).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies