Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rambo 1-3 Box Set (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Man with No Name Trilogy 4K Remastered Edition (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #1

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada
Default Raintree county

"Raintree County" is my number one most wanted film on Blu...it didn't even receive a Region 1 DVD release, although it was released in fullscreen by WB in Spain. I asked the Warner Archive about "Raintree County" just yesterday and received this response: "WHV considering for the future, but certainly not any time soon. This will be a very costly undertaking."

That's the answer I've received for the past 8 years from them in online chats and via their FB page since the launch of the Warner Archive Collection. I came across this interesting post this evening on Film Score Monthly's message board. I guess the reason the film is so problematic is because the full Roadshow Version doesn't exist anymore in 65mm. The 14 minutes or so that were cut out only exist in 35mm, which is why those scenes are so jarring and appear faded when we watch the Roadshow version on TCM. Here's a link to that thread (it's the fifth post down): http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/boar...8870&archive=0

It all seems sort of bleak for "Raintree", but I'm keeping my finger's crossed. It probably won't do much good, but I started a Facebook fan page as sort of a petition. If nothing else it will be a great place for me to share some of the hundreds of rare photos my friend has allowed me to share from her collection. Here's the link if any of you want to like the page: http://facebook.com/RaintreeOnBlu

Andy
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Power Member

Sep 2010

It's certainly my number 1 most wanted BLuray too!!!
Pity that it's not going to be released soon!
Honestly I can't wait any more... :-(

There isn't any decent DVD either!!!
Most wanted Blurays: Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Krull, Free Willy, True Lies, Abyss, Bringing Up Baby, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

It is a shame! I'd be interested in knowing how many copies it would have to sell for it to be worth the investment... I was discussing the film on another site, and someone brought up a good point that I hadn't thought of that a restoration would also mean you'd have a great print for domestic and international TV sales, online streaming, etc.

C'mon, WB!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Power Member

Sep 2010

Well, if they fear that it won't sell good, they could also launch a limited series editions, like Twilight time which makes 3000 copies of one film..
Most wanted Blurays: Raintree County, Star Wars OT, Spacecamp, Spacehunter: adventures in the forbidden zone, Maurice, Explorers, Mayerling, Supergirl, Krull, Free Willy, True Lies, Abyss, Bringing Up Baby, Ulysses 31, Ducktales, Candy Candy (anime series)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

I would also gladly purchase Raintree County on Blu-ray. Excellent film.
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Well, if they fear that it won't sell good, they could also launch a limited series editions, like Twilight time which makes 3000 copies of one film..
They have the Warner Archive collection, which is a better business model than TT.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

Well, I asked someone how much they thought it would cost to restore "Raintree County" for Blu-ray, and they *guessed* that to do it correctly (like Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur or How the West Was Won) it wouldn't be much below a million dollars. That kind of money would require more than a limited run or Warner Archive release for them to recoup their investment. Of course, there are cheaper ways to restore the film, which is the route they might go if they decide against a full blown restoration, and then I think we'd see it in the Warner Archive.

I'm still holding out hope for a full restoration!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

I think the fact that they haven't even put out a DVD version doesn't bode wel for a BD release. It's hard to really gather any real data on how much demand there is for the title when they don't have much (if anything) in the form of home video sales history.

I personally never even heard of the movie until seeing it mentioned here, which is surprising considering the cast. I don't get why the movie has been ignored so much on home video as it was nominated for several oscars in 1958
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

They can't go by DVD sales, no, but it was released on VHS four times (the last time in 1999) and Laserdisc once. (A fullscreen edition was released by WB in Spain a few years back.) A Region 1 DVD was in the planning stages...they were looking for better elements. George Feltenstein (sp?) even mentioned it in an interview about 6 years ago with The Digital Bits that they were hoping to get it out for the 50th anniversary. I agree, it seems bleak, but at least WB isn't flat out saying no. That's the glimmer or hope I'm hanging on to at this point! lol
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2010

Quote:
"RAINTREE COUNTY requires a very complicated and expensive restoration to give it a proper presentation. Warner Home Video is aware of the interest and it is under active consideration. The film was shot in 65mm, and the negative and safety separations were both cut to a shorter length for general release. 35mm prints (now faded) exist with the cut footage, but putting them together for a proper Blu-ray level presentation is an expensive proposition. Hopefully this will come to pass in the future."
https://www.facebook.com/RaintreeOnBlu
Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

That's progress I guess, but I can't see Warner investing so much in something which is pretty much guaranteed to lose them money.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #12

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for linking to my Raintree Facebook page, filmmusic! I really appreciate you helping to spread the word.

I'm thankful Mr Feltenstein was gracious enough to respond to my question. Although it's essentially the same response I've received for years, I'm glad that it's still on their radar, and we might see it somewhere down the line.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Power Member

Sep 2010

Thank you for asking him.

Although, i'm not so hopeful.
it's just the kind of polite response someone would expect.
I mean I wouldn't expect for him to say: No, we're not thinking of it, or we won't release it.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Power Member

Sep 2010

post from https://www.facebook.com/RaintreeOnBlu

Quote:
RAINTREE COUNTY has been shortlisted as one of five titles that fans most want to see released on Blu-ray and DVD in 2014 at the Home Theater Forum. The studios pay close attention to the HTF. "Raintree" is currently in 4th place--let's get it to #1!

(You don't need to register at the Home Theater Forum to vote. You can log-in using Facebook.)

VOTE HERE:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...eased-in-2014/
Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii

There are much better Warner movies out there which needs a blu-ray release. Besides, 20-30 votes on a internet forum won't change much.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
Power Member

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Rothman View Post
There are much better Warner movies out there which needs a blu-ray release. Besides, 20-30 votes on a internet forum won't change much.
Yeah, i'm not so optimistic about it either, but you never know.
Also, Raintree County doesn't even have an official DVD release (besides some bootlegs and R2 DVD of questionable quality)
Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
Yeah, i'm not so optimistic about it either, but you never know.
Also, Raintree County doesn't even have an official DVD release (besides some bootlegs and R2 DVD of questionable quality)
It could be released in '17 on its 60th Anniversary. So don't lose your hope yet!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists