COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Demons 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.46
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
USA The Grifters (1990) - May 7, 2013

The Grifters Blu-ray

Quote:
Director Stephen Frears' tense adaptation of Jim Thompson's novel The Grifters was one of a number of revival film noirs in the first half of the '90s. Updating the setting to contemporary Los Angeles, the film follows a trio of con artists who are intent on out-foxing each other. Roy Dillon (John Cusack) is a simple, two-bit con, whose life is thrown into turmoil when his estranged mother Lilly (Anjelica Huston) returns home in an attempt to evade the law. Lilly doesn't warm to Roy's girlfriend Myra Langtry (Annette Bening), who is too similar to herself. Soon, the two women are competing for Roy in a battle that is more of a power struggle than a pursuit of affection, and the battle quickly turns dangerous. Huston was nominated for an Academy Award for her work.

Last edited by Akijama; 03-21-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I could have sworn this was already out, but good news.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

echo bridge=
glad I have the UK disc.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

Because its Echo Bridge doesnt mean its guaranteed to be crap, does it? They did a nice job with Dead Man. Havent they been getting better as of late?

I love this film. Id hate to see it get a shoddy release....
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I thought people said the bd of Dead Man was not good.
I know the AUS bd is supposed to be far better.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I thought people said the bd of Dead Man was not good.
I know the AUS bd is supposed to be far better.
I have watched this disc a handful of time and cant imagine it looking better than it does unless Criterion got a hold of it. In the user reviews one guy said:

"at 58 seconds into the film there is a pixel problem where the screen looks like a checker board, it lasts for a couple of seconds. Then at 1:14 into the film when the 2 lawmen show up, the color of the screen changes from b/w to a purple tint to a green tint to b/w, and back and forth a few times"

I checked this with my own copy and these problems did not exist. I think it is an excellent transfer. I do know this is one of the rare exceptions when it comes to Echo Bridge but hopefully Miramax gives them good sources to work with. We shall see.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexlerMcStyles View Post
I have watched this disc a handful of time and cant imagine it looking better than it does unless Criterion got a hold of it. In the user reviews one guy said:

"at 58 seconds into the film there is a pixel problem where the screen looks like a checker board, it lasts for a couple of seconds. Then at 1:14 into the film when the 2 lawmen show up, the color of the screen changes from b/w to a purple tint to a green tint to b/w, and back and forth a few times"

I checked this with my own copy and these problems did not exist. I think it is an excellent transfer. I do know this is one of the rare exceptions when it comes to Echo Bridge but hopefully Miramax gives them good sources to work with. We shall see.
Confirmed.

I'd rather have an Echo Bridge than none at all.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
echo bridge=
glad I have the UK disc.
If only it wasn't region locked.

Still, my main complaint with this being Echo Bridge is what I said in the Jersey Girl thread. A complete lack of subtitles. This would have been an easy Day 1 buy if it was from Lionsgate.
Last Watched: 10 Things I Hate About You
Last Bought: Sons of Anarchy: Season Six | The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

How can it possibly bode well for this release that it's pre-order price is $5.99?

Can they make this a reasonably quality release and make a profit when they're selling it at the beginning for the change I have under my seat cushions?

That said, I see most of them at $5.99, but I'd probably give Committed and Jersey Girl a shot if they went down to $5.99, which they haven't. Even then I will leave everything sealed if reviews don't show up before they're released.

Now if their standards improved and were consistent, I would pay $13 (around the normal for smaller catalogs) for a really well done release. I think the business model of just getting these titles out no matter how lazy, because people will pay $6 for crap releases is ass-backwards thinking.

The only title I can't imagine ever sending back, even if it was severely disappointing would be Beautiful Girls. It's not going to be worse than the dvd and that movie is an all-time favorite.

edit: Jersey Girl now at $5.99.

Last edited by Veronica Mars; 01-25-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

another Martin Scorsese film for the collection!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
another Martin Scorsese film for the collection!
It's a little weird to call a movie Scorsese produced "a Martin Scorsese film."
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
It's a little weird to call a movie Scorsese produced "a Martin Scorsese film."
he WAS invloved in the production
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
Special Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii

Great neo noir. So this is BB exclusive now? I'll pick it up Monday
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Rothman View Post
Great neo noir. So this is BB exclusive now? I'll pick it up Monday
This being a Best Buy exclusive and now available is random and out of the blue.
Last Bought: Sons of Anarchy: Season Six | The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season
Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #15

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
This being a Best Buy exclusive and now available is random and out of the blue.
I picked it up a couple hours ago. It is 1.78 (rater than the original 1.85), includes the commentary track from the DVD SE, as well as "The Jim Thompson Story" and "The Making of The Grifters" docs, which were also on the DVD. Im sitting down to watch the film now and will report back.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #16
Expert Member

Dec 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
I picked it up a couple hours ago. It is 1.78 (rater than the original 1.85), includes the commentary track from the DVD SE, as well as "The Jim Thompson Story" and "The Making of The Grifters" docs, which were also on the DVD. Im sitting down to watch the film now and will report back.
It's 1:78 during the intro titles, then it's 1:85 for the rest of the movie.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH

Quote:
Like all other Echo Bridge releases, there's no subtitles on this, correct? That's the only thing that would keep me from getting this on Tuesday.

Last edited by KilloWertz; 01-28-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

My local Best Buy says it has Fortress in stock but not this - hopefully it will show up this week, looking forward to seeing this one again.
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #19

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlakephil View Post
It's 1:78 during the intro titles, then it's 1:85 for the rest of the movie.
Nope. Just like the DVD, during the intro credits the image doesnt entirely fill the screen. On the DVD there are really small black bars on both sides. On the blu-ray theres only a small black bar on the left. When the movie starts it fills in. However, I noticed during a very early scene in Roys apartment on the DVD, that the clown picture (on the far right of the frame) has a small bit of wall space between it and the edge of the frame. On the blu, the clown frame is right up against the edge of the frame. So the film has been cropped to 1.78. Why? I wish I knew, but that seems to be EBs preferred aspect ratio for matted films

As far as how this thing looks. The blu image has more definition in the detail, is sharper, colors are more pronounced and overall it certainly looks more filmic. When I did some back and forth comparison, the DVD definitely looked soft versus the blu. Film grain is intact and I doubt this Blu saw any DNR, at all. There are a couple night scenes (pulling into the hotel in Phoenix, and Mira getting ice) where the grain is pretty heavy and there is some crush, but overall the film looks good. I will say that there are small white dust specs throughout the film and a rare hair here and there. I wish they werent there but overall they didnt bother me that much. I was expecting the worst with this release and ended up being quite happy with it. Especially for six bucks. Im sure some people with 70 inch screens who are looking for imperfection might not be as happy with it. But from what Ive read about Echo Bridge (I only own one other title by them), this might turn out to be one of their best releases. If your a fan of this film, you will want this disc.

Last edited by DrexlerMcStyles; 02-01-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #20

Jul 2011
Cackalack Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Like all other Echo Bridge releases, there's no subtitles on this, correct? That's the only thing that would keep me from getting this on Tuesday.
no subs. you seem to speak pretty good english though.....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America