COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.18
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)
Default Let It Be

Will a Blu Ray/ DVD release for Let It Be ever see the light of day?

Paul and Ringo don't want people to see a film about the Beatles getting on each others nerves.
Many Beatles Fans (including Myself) and the Director would really, really like to see this get released on BD in 2013.
I, personally, would like to see the 4 hour extended cut, but that's just me.
Hopefully, they'll release a box set for it featuring a BD and a DVD, a book, and a soundtrack for the film (just like the Magical Mystery Tour Box Set)
Here's a wikipedia article about the home media releases for Let It Be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_...lm)#Home_media

Last edited by 14728; 03-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

The original record release came with a beautiful high-gloss, bound book - gotta be at least 100 unnumbered pages - of photos by Ethan A. Russell. I still have a mint-ish copy (wish I had kept the whole record and box, one sold on eBay for $5,295.01)!

Sample Pix:

Last edited by Early Memphis; 06-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
The original record release came with a beautiful high-gloss, bound book - gotta be at least 100 unnumbered pages - of photos by Ethan A. Russell. I still have a mint-ish copy (wish I had kept the whole record and box, one sold on eBay for $5,295.01)!

Sample Pix:

Holy K*******************NGE! Not only do I want that, but I won't get it, because it's 5,295 dollars! I don't have that kind of money lying around!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

I'm making my own Beatles Compilation album. It has 8 discs, and it also features the best of the solo careers of John, Paul, George, Ringo, and it features songs by Paul McCartney's band Wings. But it's far from completion. I still need the Complete Beatles Recordings (which I might get today)! The only Albums I own for the solo careers of the Beatles are 2 John Lennon vinyls, and 2 Michael Jackson/ Paul McCartney Duets (on MJ CDs)! The cover (which is a collage) is only almost half way done!
Which do you recommend: the Single versions of Love Me Do and Let It Be, or the album versions?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012
Michigan

Yes, Please.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #5

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

I just nearly missed paying $135 for a Beatles Stereo Box Set. I would have payed 135, but I didn't post it quick enough. So mad
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Aug 2012

I keep hearing rumors that they are remastering it for a 2013 release (said by the director himself), but then I also have heard that Sir Paul doesn't want it released in his lifetime because after crafting the gentle old uncle image he's been riding for the past 15 years or so, seeing him being difficult in the studio contradicts it. But wth... everyone knows the Beatles had an acrimonious breakup and that there was drama between the members, so it isn't like there's anything too shocking in this.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleandWonder View Post
But wth... everyone knows the Beatles had an acrimonious breakup and that there was drama between the members, so it isn't like there's anything too shocking in this.
Many people believe that the acrimony displayed in Let It Be is what broke up the Beatles and that Let It Be was the last Beatles album because of that. Except that it wasn't. Let It Be was the last released Beatles album but Abbey Road, which demonstrates what the Beatles could do when they cooperated, was actually the last recorded Beatles album. Let It Be came out last because no one wanted to deal with the hundreds of hours of tape which is why they finally put it in Phil Spector's hands.

And even Lennon did not expect the Beatles to break up at that point. I remember his appearance on the Tonight show where he made the point after the release of Abbey Road that George Harrison was writing so many great tunes like Something and Here Comes The Sun that they didn't know how they would fit all the songwriting in in the future.

While Yoko Ono usually gets the blame for breaking up the Beatles, it was Paul McCartney who sued the other members of the group to breakup the Beatles' company when they voted down his proposal to let his father-in-law's and brother-in-law's company (Lee Eastman/John Eastman) company to manage the affairs of the group.

Lennon had considered leaving the group as early as 1966, but he said he never had the guts to actually do it. Paul was obviously wrong in this case. Regardless of the merits of Eastman's company, it would have been a conflict-of-interest as far as McCartney was concerned. What's not known (at least not by me) is how much pressure his wife Linda put on him to use the Eastman company. Regardless, one can make the case that it was Linda Eastman, not Yoko Ono, who was the force behind the breakup of the Beatles.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Aug 2012

But with all of that, why is Paul still afraid 40+ years later to let fans see him be a control freak and a prick to George? The fans know this exists but it's like Sir Paul is afraid that the generations who've grown up with him as the lovable old guy who is always trusty to perform a medley of his classics on the Grammys will have their illusions shattered by this film. I think most fans can put aside the differences between 70 year old Sir Paul and the 26 year old Paul depicted in LIB.

I remember someone at Apple said "The film was so controversial when it first came out. When we got halfway through restoring it, we looked at the outtakes and realised: this stuff is still controversial. It raised a lot of old issues.". If audiences could handle it in 1970, they can handle it now.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

In the first place, "the acrimony displayed in Let It Be" was not Paul being "a control freak and a prick to George". That moment is way overblown simply because it was captured on and used in the film. We didn't see John and Yoko nodding off from the heroin they were on at the time and we didn't see much of George's insecure petulance. The real problem eating away at The Beatles - and causing the petty arguments - was who was going to mind the store and take Brian's place. Who could they trust so they could go back to getting high and playing music and stop being "suits".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
While Yoko Ono usually gets the blame for breaking up the Beatles, it was Paul McCartney who sued the other members of the group to breakup the Beatles' company when they voted down his proposal to let his father-in-law's and brother-in-law's company (Lee Eastman/John Eastman) company to manage the affairs of the group.
No. Paul sued when the other three foolishly voted to put Allen Klein in charge, the same Allen Klein who stole the Rolling Stones' copyrights right out from under their coke-addled noses. They battled him in court for 17 years and wound up giving Klein the rights to most of their pre-1971 recordings - "the price of an education", as Keith Richards put it. Although he couldn't prove anything, McCartney never trusted Klein, saying : "If you are screwing us, I don't see how."

At first, Klein got The Beatles some cash from Capitol and helped Apple stay afloat, but then he fired many loyal, long-time workers and closed Zapple Records (famous for records by John and George, but run by a friend of Paul's). Then he failed to prevent the Northern Songs buyout by ATV, which cost the Fabs ownership of virtually all of their song copyrights (sound familiar?). In time (and after being crossed), both John and George came to regret having sided with Klein - George in particular. Klein changed sides and backstabbed him during the "My Sweet Lord" lawsuit and later was convicted of tax evasion after stealing proceeds from promotional copies of The Concert For Bangladesh album.

So, no. Paul would've settled for someone other than his father-in-law, but the others wouldn't move off of Klein. Who knows how many lawsuits and hard feelings could've been avoided if they had compromised on a neutral third party? Or how much more great music would've graced our meager collections?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #10

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

Guess what! I could have won the Beatles stereo box set on eBay! But this time, there where no last minute bidders. I just completely forgot that it was up! I know there where no last minute bidders because I saw the winning price up 1 hour ago. SO STUPID!!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14728 View Post
Guess what! I could have won the Beatles stereo box set on eBay! But this time, there where no last minute bidders. I just completely forgot that it was up! I know there where no last minute bidders because I saw the winning price up 1 hour ago. SO STUPID!!!!!
Sorry, bro. There's another one ending at 8 AM tomorrow (by my CST) [5 Bids - $70.69]. Perhaps there won't be much competition at that hour. It's only Like New, but it looks mint and "13 of the 17 CDs ... are still sealed and unopened". There's also a new one that's just under 3 days out [6 Bids - $68] - but that Like New really looks sweet and the seller's 100% with 724 deals. Both are Free Shipping/No Tax! Good luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleandWonder View Post
I keep hearing rumors that they are remastering it for a 2013 release (said by the director himself), but then I also have heard that Sir Paul doesn't want it released in his lifetime because after crafting the gentle old uncle image he's been riding for the past 15 years or so, seeing him being difficult in the studio contradicts it. But wth... everyone knows the Beatles had an acrimonious breakup and that there was drama between the members, so it isn't like there's anything too shocking in this.
I am of the opinion the breakup was inevitable because of how each of them was individualizing more and more. Paul and John were always competing against each other and George was coming into his own his and material had to be heard. Their creative processes led to the breakup. I know it sounds simple but it's what I believe.
Barnes & Noble has Criterion Collection 50% Off Sales Each November and July
Next Sale: November 2014 (Exact dates TBA)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

Quote:
Sorry, bro. There's another one ending at 8 AM tomorrow (by my CST) [5 Bids - $70.69]. Perhaps there won't be much competition at that hour. It's only Like New, but it looks mint and "13 of the 17 CDs ... are still sealed and unopened". There's also a new one that's just under 3 days out [6 Bids - $68] - but that Like New really looks sweet and the seller's 100% with 724 deals. Both are Free Shipping/No Tax! Good luck!
I really don't want to get a like new box set because the discs might have a lot of scratches on them, even if it is only 4 discs that have been open. But I am getting the one on Saturday. I'm leaving little reminders all over the house so I don't forget.
If any one of you steal it (not literally steal, but you know what I mean) from me, I'll be FURIOUS.

Last edited by 14728; 01-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
I am of the opinion the breakup was inevitable because of how each of them was individualizing more and more. Paul and John were always competing against each other and George was coming into his own his and material had to be heard. Their creative processes led to the breakup. I know it sounds simple but it's what I believe.
I completely agree 100%
Old 01-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
Not to be argumentative, but I can't completely agree. Yes, marriages and musical interests were drawing them apart, but they were moving towards competing with separate individual releases ("Mine sold more than yours. Yes, but mine was better, got better reviews."). However, if not for the poison caused/dredged up by the lawsuits, they could've still joined together for occasional Beatles projects. There was talk of this. But once it got really nasty and they were suing each other ... And then that SOB in NY turned the dream into a nightmare, leaving us with the acrimonious Get Back/Let It Be mess as a final image - hardly a fitting memory for four lads who gave more love to the world than any other "entertainers" ever! Thank God they at least got it back together for the grand farewell of Abbey Road. God bless 'em all!

Quote:
I really don't want to get a like new box set because the discs might have a lot of scratches on them, even if it is only 4 discs that have been open. But I am getting the one on Saturday. I'm leaving little reminders all over the house so I don't forget.
If any one of you steal it (not literally steal, but you know what I mean) from me, I'll be FURIOUS.
Well, bring your checkbook, because even the Like New one (which looked mint!) sold for $132.50! So much for not much competition at that hour.

Last edited by Early Memphis; 01-31-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #16

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

Actually, I think around 130 for a mint condition Beatles Box Set is well priced, as compared to paying $150 on iTunes. But if I don't win the mint condition copy, I'll pay 150 tops for the new one they're giving away on Saturday.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #17

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

Oh. The Mint Condition one ended. But it said it would end at 8 a.m, not 6 p.m the previous night. Aw well, I already have the White Album, Revolver, and Help! on CDs. Since the brand new box sets have wrapped CDs on all 14 albums, I would sell the new versions of those 3 albums, and add in my previously bought CDs to the box set, but those unwrapped CDs in the Mint Condition copy might have been for Help!, Revolver, and/ or the White Album, so I'd have to sell them used! That would get me about 5 dollars instead of 10 dollars a piece.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Oh. The Mint Condition one ended. But it said it would end at 8 a.m, not 6 p.m the previous night. Aw well, I already have the White Album, Revolver, and Help! on CDs. Since the brand new box sets have wrapped CDs on all 14 albums, I would sell the new versions of those 3 albums, and add in my previously bought CDs to the box set, but those unwrapped CDs in the Mint Condition copy might have been for Help!, Revolver, and/ or the White Album, so I'd have to sell them used! That would get me about 5 dollars instead of 10 dollars a piece.
You're existing CDs, the ones you'd keep, are the remasters? In the paper/cardboard covers? If they aren't exactly the same items, switching them out would lower the value of your box set and wouldn't be worth the small savings. Besides, after fees, the used ones (if Like New mint) would fetch at least half of what the new sealed ones would get - more or less). You want a new set, right? So revel in the newness of opening each one in order - like Christmas morning!

BTW : the new one I posted a link to is still only $76 with 45 hours to go.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #19

Sep 2012
Heaven (a.k.a. Hell)

Quote:
You're existing CDs, the ones you'd keep, are the remasters? In the paper/cardboard covers? If they aren't exactly the same items, switching them out would lower the value of your box set and wouldn't be worth the small savings. Besides, after fees, the used ones (if Like New mint) would fetch at least half of what the new sealed ones would get - more or less). You want a new set, right? So revel in the newness of opening each one in order - like Christmas morning!

BTW : the new one I posted a link to is still only $76 with 45 hours to go.
They are exactly the same item. I got them a few weeks ago.
After thinking about it, I will open them up in order from Please, Please Me to The Mini Documentaries. I'll probably sell the ones I got a few weeks ago at a yard sale, since I don't want to go threw the trouble of selling stuff on eBay.
I know that there is one being sold on Feb. 2nd. I've left little reminders all over the house just to make sure I don't forget like last time.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #20

Sep 2012
My 700 foot tall pair of pants in pantstropolis

I Hope the BD version of Let It Be will have:
Disc 1: 4 hour version
Disc 2: Theatrical Version + Bonus Material
Disc 3: Soundtrack (CD)
For the DVD:
Disc 1: 4 hour Version Part 1
Disc 2: 4 hour Version Part 2
Disc 3: Theatrical Version
Disc 4: Bonus Material
Disc 5: Soundtrack (CD)
And for the BD + DVD Box Set (if they release one):
Disc 1: 4 Hour Version (BD)
Disc 2: Theatrical Version + Bonus Material (BD)
Disc 3: 4 hour Version Part 1 (DVD)
Disc 4: 4 Hour Version Part 2 (DVD)
Disc 5: Theatrical Version (DVD)
Disc 6: Soundtrack (CD)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists