Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Purge: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.18
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It (Blu-ray)
$22.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$211.39
Get Out (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.11
Doctor Who: The Complete Ninth Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Expanse: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$20.49
A Dog's Purpose (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Stranger (Blu-ray)
$16.40
A Monster Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Default Cohen Media Film Collection

The Cohen Media Group Collection

PRE-ANNOUNCED/RUMORED TITLES

Cohen Media have acquired the Rohauer Collection (catalog is available as a PDF here) and will be restoring and releasing titles on Blu-Ray.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-01-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Thanks given by:
Tibor Lugosi (09-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Excellent thread, Yami

I would like to post a couple of photos here. I assume that that the rest of the Cohen titles will come in the same cases. The reason: The pictures at Amazon are very misleading. Cohen's titles come in very elegant clear cases. However, they are not like Criterion's cases. They are slightly thinner, but still very beautiful.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is also Jeff's announcement:

NEWS
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10387

Quote:
Charles S. Cohen, Chairman and CEO of the Cohen Media Group, today announced the arrival of the Cohen Film Collection, a world-renowned collection of rare cinematic gems, which will be meticulously restored and enhanced for generations to come. The Cohen Film Collection (formerly The Rohauer Library), will include more than 700 films – from enduring Hollywood classics to foreign masterpieces and seminal avant-garde works – which will undergo complete digital restoration so that the best possible versions of these historic films are available across all platforms of delivery. Many of these films will be theatrically re-released, while others will join the Collection on Blu-ray and DVD.

The first release from The Collection, Tristana, is currently in theaters and will be debuting on Blu-ray and DVD this March. Coming to Blu-ray and DVD on February 19, 2013, will be The Thief of Bagdad, Douglas Fairbanks' 1924 fantasy epic that marked a new peak for action cinema during the silent era. The Thief of Bagdad has been digitally restored in 2k from two 35mm negatives incorporating color tints and tones of the original release prints. Featuring state-of-the-art sound, the Carl Davis orchestral score and accompanied by audio commentary and numerous extras, The Thief of Bagdad Blu-ray and DVD indicates the care Cohen will be taking with all releases from this collection.

Many titles in the collection are rare; the collection has the only known materials for some films. Exclusive licenses and contracts
bring to the Collection original nitrate elements camera negatives, prints and other materials unavailable elsewhere, to assure the best High Definitions transfers possible.

Highlights of The Cohen Film Collection include:

The General (1926). The Collection has the original nitrate camera negative of Buster Keaton's Civil War comic masterpiece and is creating, in partnership with The Library of Congress, a 4K scan from a safety fine-grain positive master newly struck for the restoration. The Collection also includes Keaton's Sherlock Jr., Our Hospitality, The Navigator, Go West and dozens of his remarkable short films.

Intolerance (1916). D.W. Griffith's awe-inspiring epic is receiving a 2K restoration that will include an orchestral score by world renowned composer Carl Davis. Other Griffith masterworks in the Collection include The Birth of a Nation (both the 1915 original and the 1930 cut), Broken Blossoms, Way Down East, Orphans of the Storm and many of the groundbreaking shorts directed by the "Father of Film."

Sudden Fear (1952). David Miller's film noir, starring Joan Crawford and Jack Palance, is receiving a 2K restoration.

L'Etoile de Mer (1928). This and other experimental shorts by the avant- garde photographer Man Ray will be released.

Hangmen Also Die (1943). The Collection is working with Britain's Pinewood Studios on a 2K restoration of this Fritz Lang film that will reinstate a short sequence not in the version currently available here.

Song of Freedom (1936). One of six films in the Collection starring the singer- actor-activist Paul Robeson.

Son of the Sheik (1926). Rudolph Valentino's last film is being restored from nitrate material held at the Library of Congress. Valentino's Blood and Sand and The Eagle are also in the Collection.

Jamaica Inn (1939). The Collection will restore this period adventure, the last film Alfred Hitchcock made in England before moving to Hollywood and his first adaptation of a tale by Daphne du Maurier (Rebecca, The Birds).

Fire Over England (1937). This historical drama marked the first screen pairing of Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier and is being restored to honor, in 2013, the 100th anniversary of Leigh's birth. It's one of four Leigh films in the Collection.

The Strong Man (1926). Frank Capra's first feature film stars Harry Langdon, generally regarded as one of the quartet of great silent-screen comics along with Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd (all of whom are also represented in the Collection). One of 14 Langdon films in the Collection.

Douglas Fairbanks films. In addition to The Thief of Bagdad, the Collection includes such early Fairbanks titles as The Lamb and Double Trouble, both from 1915, as well as his later adventure classics The Mark of Zorro, The Three Musketeers, Robin Hood and The Black Pirate. Among the dozens of other Fairbanks titles in the Collection is The Taming of the Shrew, a screen pairing of Fairbanks and his wife, "America's Sweetheart" Mary Pickford.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
simonjamesconstable (12-09-2014)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

The title should probably be changed as I initially thought this was for the Cohen Bros. Maybe "Cohen Media Film Collection" or something
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I'll probably pick up Tristana down the line, as I enjoy Catherine Deneuve.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
The title should probably be changed as I initially thought this was for the Cohen Bros. Maybe "Cohen Media Film Collection" or something
Ah. Very good point. I changed it. Hopefully, Yami does not mind

Pro-B
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Ah. Very good point. I changed it. Hopefully, Yami does not mind

Pro-B
Course not
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Power Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
What was the original thread title?

And do you mean the Coen brothers?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
What was the original thread title?

And do you mean the Coen brothers?
It was just Cohen Film Collection, and yeah I meant Coen bros. I'm sure I'm not the only ones that totally forgot their actual name and got confused when I saw this thread

MifuneFan - 0
Literacy - 1

Last edited by MifuneFan; 02-01-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Dec 2012

looking forward to getting The Thief of Bagdad
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Banned

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

I first thought it was a Coen Bros thread and that the OP had spelt it wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Literacy is overated.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Spelt? Literacy? You betcha. Also, ain't there an "h" somewheres in Baghdad?

I kid, I kid, I kid. Thanks, OP, for the info!
DVD Profiler SD/HD LibraryMy CriterionFlickChart Rankings
Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV | Oppo 203 UHD Player | Pioneer SC-LX701 Receiver
PSB Imagine T-2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) | Logitech Harmony Hub | Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Here's all the listings, done up in a similar fashion to some of the other collection threads (aka Pro-B style). Feel free to add it to the op, and/or correct anything.

The Cohen Media Group Collection

Last edited by MifuneFan; 02-01-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #16

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I'm interested in Farewell, My Queen. How is Delicacy?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
I'm interested in Farewell, My Queen. How is Delicacy?
I liked Decliacy a lot. It is one of the better comedies with Audrey from recent years. Definitely better than Priceless and Beautiful Lies.

The script is all around better.

Pro-B
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #18

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I liked Decliacy a lot. It is one of the better comedies with Audrey from recent years. Definitely better than Priceless and Beautiful Lies.

The script is all around better.

Pro-B
Thanks for the information.

What are the best rated Audrey Tautou films? I own Amelie, but I'd like to try out some other ones. Specifically Coco Before Chanel and Delicacy. Any other really good ones that are region free?

I know she's in The Da Vinci Code, Dirty Pretty Things, and Priceless too.

Last edited by iScottie; 02-02-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

I really like these Region-B titles. The Spanish Apartment/Russian Dolls films, in particular, are great.

Pro-B
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #20

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Thanks for the list!

Unfortunately I realized I mistyped my message and meant to say what titles that are region free are the best?

I have wanted A Very Long Engagement for a while, but unfortunately it's region locked and I don't have a region free player
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors