Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
USA Africa (BBC / Discovery) -- February 26th, 2013

Africa Blu-ray

This is airing right now in the US on the Discovery Channel, but there are some inconsistencies with the UK version product details. For one, there is only one edition of this series being made available in the US, and the Discovery Channel airings have narration by Forest Whitaker and not David Attenborough. To be clear, David Attenborough is apparently still in the episode "Africa: The Future" in the US version, because he physically appears in this episode.

The US version also appears to have re-edited the series in some way for broadcast, as it is seven episodes instead of six (I read something about the making of portions at the end of each UK episode being cut out and combined into a seventh episode?) and finally, the US version is listed by Discovery as being two discs, while the UK version apparently has three discs according to the BBC shop.

Our news article seems to believe that the US Blu-ray will have the Attenborough narration and be only six episodes, but then I would have to question why Discovery bothered to re-record narration and re-edit the program if the intention was to just release the original UK version on the US market.

Can anyone with an advance copy confirm exactly what is on the US Blu-ray set?
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Last edited by McCrutchy; 02-25-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Mar 2012
Ontario

Only interested in seeing the British version.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

This is the same pattern the Discovery gave to Planet Earth, Life, and Frozen Planet

In all cases although the Discovery channel continues its disgusting practice of cutting the episodes down and dubbing over Attenborough with some two bit actor they hire who knows absolutely nothing about naturalism the American BBC releases have still given America uncut episodes and Attenborughs narration. I so wish Discovery would stop thinking American audiences can't handle a British accent but having the proper versions on Blu-Ray really makes it all better
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books
Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
This is the same pattern the Discovery gave to Planet Earth, Life, and Frozen Planet

In all cases although the Discovery channel continues its disgusting practice of cutting the episodes down and dubbing over Attenborough with some two bit actor they hire who knows absolutely nothing about naturalism the American BBC releases have still given America uncut episodes and Attenborughs narration. I so wish Discovery would stop thinking American audiences can't handle a British accent but having the proper versions on Blu-Ray really makes it all better
This +1000, hated when I actually had to wait until the british version was released as I refused to listen to Oprah, Weaver, etc instead of David. I think I even ended up importing Planet Earth before it was finally released in the US. I would like to believe the original BBC version will be available for us at some point.
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Power Member

Aug 2009
West Des Moines, IA

To be fair, Forrest Whittaker's voice over for Africa was miles better than Oprah's Life, Weaver's Planet Earth, and Mike Rowe's Human Planet efforts.

However, David is the best.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

So any clarification yet? I have this pre-ordered with Amazon.ca but am afraid of getting some lack-lustre version if the UK is getting a far superior set!

Hope something is announced soon so I can rest easy, or cancel the pre-order on time.
Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO141FD Owner
My Flickr
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Africa Blu-ray REVIEW

Sir David's narration is intact, now I'm just wondering if this is native 1080p, or if it was sped up slightly and converted from 25 fps (i.e. 1080/50i).
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Power Member

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Just fyi, I received the UK version yesterday...and it includes 3 blu-rays discs (US release has 2).
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #9

Dec 2009
united states.pa

sure most have seen, but amazon matched best buy, bringing it down to 22.99. i can not wait to hear sir david.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylog View Post
sure most have seen, but amazon matched best buy, bringing it down to 22.99. i can not wait to hear sir david.
Ditto. Just ordered via Amazon this morning. Great price!
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA
USA

is the UK version Region free? Any comparisons between the two versions? I am wondering if is worth the additional cost of importing from the UK....
My trading thread...
Includes Criterion / Disney / Coupons / Regular Blu's / DVD's etc... http://forum.blu-ray.com/trading-for...ml#post4492250
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

watched a bit of this @ my parents last night on cable. my dad was telling me about the giraffe fight and he dvr'd it.

truely amazing!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Oh look, I've been impaled!!"
Old 02-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
is the UK version Region free? Any comparisons between the two versions? I am wondering if is worth the additional cost of importing from the UK....
Yes its region free but its 1080i/50hz so unless your player and TV are 50hz compatible I doubt it will work.

Have so far watched 2 episodes of the UK set and they looked stunning.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

Watched the version I bought from best buy last night for a bit…..watched the Kalahari episode.

It seems like the commentary is different from the original broadcast. I watched the bit w/the mearkat’s and the giraffe fight and it seemed different.

Does the UK set have the original commentary from the original broadcast??
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #15

Mar 2010
Bay Area, CA

I love the part with the spring bucks or whatever they were called from Episode 4. Just watching them jump for joy had my family laughing for a while.

Great show. Cant wait to see what next years Survival series will be like. Hopefully Attenbourgh will still narrate.
"Multitasking - screwing up several things at once!"
Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

is there anywhere to find a list of what has already been produced and what's coming??

i'd like to get more into shows/blu's like this.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #17

Nov 2009
Over There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
PBS Nature recently showed Attenborough's Life Stories. It had clips of how he started, technical advances in filming and sound that allowed him and the team to get those footage, and things that they got away with
[Show spoiler]like taking home an organgutan
. The BD will be released next month.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
Power Member

Aug 2009
West Des Moines, IA

Quote:
Watched the version I bought from best buy last night for a bit…..watched the Kalahari episode.

It seems like the commentary is different from the original broadcast. I watched the bit w/the mearkat’s and the giraffe fight and it seemed different.

Does the UK set have the original commentary from the original broadcast??
This is the real version. The Discovery version is edited and redubbed.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalhouse View Post
PBS Nature recently showed Attenborough's Life Stories. It had clips of how he started, technical advances in filming and sound that allowed him and the team to get those footage, and things that they got away with
[Show spoiler]like taking home an organgutan
. The BD will be released next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkShed View Post
This is the real version. The Discovery version is edited and redubbed.
thanks for the info guys!!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #20

Dec 2009
united states.pa

Quote:
is there anywhere to find a list of what has already been produced and what's coming??

bbc has many natural history/nature titles; the most recent, popular, comprehensive and available on blu ray being:

planet earth
life
frozen planet
human planet
africa

as well as the titles vocalhouse mentioned. check out the reviews here, and if you decide to purchase, i suggest you get the titles that have attenborough doing the narration. he is a joy to listen to.

i hope that helps
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America