Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Special Member

Apr 2012
Hawaii
Default Howl's Moving Castle - 5/21/13 Pre-order

Howl's Moving Castle Blu-ray

Last edited by Deciazulado; 02-15-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

YES!

It's not even one of my fav. Ghibli movies, but I'm so glad Disney is still continuing to release these.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

The best Ghibli.
http://samsinthetic.imgur.com - The Finest Anime Collection

Studio Ghibli Collection (COMPLETE Gallery JULY 2014)

Panasonic 50" ST60 3D Plasma TV
Nikon D3200 DSLR
White Playstation 3 Super Slim Japan
LG 3D 325 Player
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Redding, CA

Honestly, one of my favorite films of all time. I have the UK bluray but I'll double dip for this. Next film I hope they release should be Spirited Away.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Special Member

Jun 2012

Wonder if this means that From Up on Poppy Hill will release on the same day? 2 months from theater to blu-ray? Arrietty took 3 months, IIRC.
"Before we begin, you must all be warned: nothing here... is vegetarian." -- Dr. Hannibal Lecter
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylopez View Post
Honestly, one of my favorite films of all time. I have the UK bluray but I'll double dip for this. Next film I hope they release should be Spirited Away.
They can't since Spirited Away has to be released in Japan first, and that's not scheduled for release over there yet.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2011
Chicago

I was just recently wondering when films like this and Spirited Away would get blu ray releases. Awesome.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys Memory View Post
Wonder if this means that From Up on Poppy Hill will release on the same day? 2 months from theater to blu-ray? Arrietty took 3 months, IIRC.
It's possible--Tales From Earthsea, which Disney did do the dub but had no intention of taking wide, played a few art theaters as "billboard release" to qualify for Oscar status, but was being lined up for quick, quiet disk release as soon as possible.
Poppy is making a brief arthouse run in March/April, and is another local-tastes Goro Miyazaki entry that Disney didn't even consider worth their time to take wide, so it's likely we'll get the trifecta.

And yes, Howl's is a lazy mess (at least Arietty stayed reasonably close to its book), but what's the reasonable expectation for the "classic" retro pre-Mononoke title to round out the three?--Totoro's out in Japan, isn't it?

Last edited by EricJ; 02-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
It's possible--Tales From Earthsea, which Disney did do the dub but had no intention of taking wide, played a few art theaters as "billboard release" to qualify for Oscar status, but was being lined up for quick, quiet disk release as soon as possible.
Poppy is making a brief arthouse run in March/April, and is another local-tastes Goro Miyazaki entry that Disney didn't even consider worth their time to take wide, so it's likely we'll get the trifecta.

And yes, Howl's is a lazy mess (at least Arietty stayed reasonably close to its book), but what's the reasonable expectation for the "classic" retro pre-Mononoke title to round out the three?--Totoro's out in Japan, isn't it?
Totoro is coming May 21st too.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Yes, May will be a great month.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

curious to know the audio specs, since the JPN and HK blus sport 6.1 ES mix. (Disney is notorious for not exactly porting over direct comparative audio mixes).
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

More Miyazaki on Blu is a good thing.
First, ye rubs something furry t'get a charge...then ye picks yer target...!

Selling 3D discs for The Wolverine and Captain America: The Winter Soldier for $20 combined or for possible trade.

Selling $25 Sideshow Collectables gift card for $10.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post

Eh, Howl's still fun, and I'm a huge Diana Wynne Jones fan. Nice to hear someone else has actually read the book for a change! Most people don't realise it had a literary source (not only that, but one that had been around for almost 20 years by the time the film was adapted.)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
Eh, Howl's still fun, and I'm a huge Diana Wynne Jones fan. Nice to hear someone else has actually read the book for a change! Most people don't realise it had a literary source (not only that, but one that had been around for almost 20 years by the time the film was adapted.)
Yes I confess: When the first Harry Potter books came out, I was one of those Wynne-Jones fans who said "Eh, JK was just ripping off 'Witch Week' and the Chrestomanci series!"

Howl SHOULD have been good source for an animated film if it'd been directed by someone who sensed the Harry/Sophie resemblances and knew where to take the tone and Jones' complex interconnecting Harry-like plots, after we'd already gotten a whimsically self-referential taste of Hogwarts--But that depends heavily on sharing DWJ's distinctly British sense for parodying European fairytale cliche's, which the Japanese aren't quite as culturally up on.
Miyazaki may have been attracted by the plot, but he stayed on the surface and went more for "It's a wild, swirling, spiritual world of MAGIC!" as with the wizard in Tales From Earthsea, and just assaulted us with strange and mystical happenings for no reason (except when he heard "War" and slipped in all his old Mononoke curses)--Until, as even loyal Ghibli fan Roger Ebert put it, you just don't care anymore and give up trying

Last edited by EricJ; 02-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

YES! I love that film. Definitely going to pick it up eventually.

Now hopefully we can get Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #16

Jan 2010
Gulf of Mexico

I'll get Howls Moving Castle for sure. Does Disney have Princess Mononoke or does someone else still have the rights? That one's the one I would like most.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post
I'll get Howls Moving Castle for sure. Does Disney have Princess Mononoke or does someone else still have the rights? That one's the one I would like most.
No one knows. I think it might be in licensing limbo right now unfortunately
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFelon View Post
According to this article, Disney still owns the rights.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #19

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Already have the JP release for this, but debating on whether to double dip because of the lossless English dub.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post
Already have the JP release for this, but debating on whether to double dip because of the lossless English dub.
It's one of the best English dubs produced for the Ghibli movies.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime