COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$18.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #441

Jul 2012
Texas, USA

After seeing those screenshots side-by-side, I can see why many prefer 4:3 and of course Whedon's preference. I watched 4-7 widescreen so I was used to it and couldn't think about watching it in 4:3.
I'm leaning towards the original aspect ratio now.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #442
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
That's the thing, none of the 7 seasons were even shot in 16:9. The only episode that was true widescreen was Once More With Feeling. Everything was native 4:3.
But...they were! Where did that extra picture left & right come from?

I understand seasons 4-7 were shot on three-perf 35mm, & the screen shape of that is...16:9. I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be 4x3 or that is wasn't composed for 4x3, but they have 16:9 worth of picture. When they transferred to tape they could have just transferred the middle 4x3 - centre cut-out as we used to call it. They obviously transferred the whole 16:9 picture (anamorphic), did all the post 16:9, & lastly did a tape to tape 4x3 centre cut-out for the American transmissions, & we in Europe got the full 16:9 picture. I can't think Joss Wheedon was very happy about that, but he obviously didn't have the power to do anything about it.

A few years ago I was a telecine colourist doing nothing but TV productions shot on film. I was grading over-cut super 16mm negative, but in the early 90's I was zooming it into 4x3, so that extra picture (right & left) was never on tape, that's not the case with some seasons of Buffy. Again, I'm not saying that 16:9 is right, I'm just saying what must have happened. I'd prefer it, but that's just me.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #443
Power Member

Jun 2011

Nearly everything ever was shot with more information in the frame than what was intended to be seen. It's a moot point.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #444

Apr 2011

I caught a little bit of the first episode on Pivot's live stream. I'm at work so I only had it open for a few seconds but caught it post-credits. It looked nice - the colors were more vibrant and looked like it cleaned up well. It appears they are using the show's original font as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #445

Nov 2011

Early screencaps from pivot MPEG2 ~11mbps HD:
Sadly not so optimistic.. insane DNR and plastic details. Only the credit font looks like true HD.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #446
Special Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Nearly everything ever was shot with more information in the frame than what was intended to be seen. It's a moot point.
I don't think it is a moot point. 1:85 movies were shot full frame, & in the last twenty years, 'scope films were mostly shot super 35mm full frame, but all that spare picture was never seen. The considerable extra picture info of Buffy was seen, all over Europe. As I said I'm not arguing that 16:9 is correct, & am willing to accept that it isn't...but from purely a personal viewpoint, I hope it's widescreen. But then any Blu-ray release hasn't been announced yet, & IF it is, it won't be 'till sometime next year.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #447
Power Member

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
I don't think it is a moot point. 1:85 movies were shot full frame, & in the last twenty years, 'scope films were mostly shot super 35mm full frame, but all that spare picture was never seen.
Nonsense. Most of those films will have been shown full frame 4:3 when first shown on TV, VHS, Laserdisc and in many many cases DVD. A lot of people will have gotten used to watching them that way (probably a lot more than the people who saw them in theatres) , so should we continue to release them full frame or in the intended ratio?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #448
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV1L View Post
insane DNR and plastic details. Only the credit font looks like true HD.

yiiiii!

I think I would just watch the 16mm-derived DVD upscaled. :<
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #449
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

I just finished the first episode and the second has just started and man is it weird watching this in widescreen. I have seen each season more times than I can count and it is going to take some getting used to.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #450

Apr 2011

Quote:
Sadly not so optimistic.. insane DNR and plastic details. Only the credit font looks like true HD.
I've never been a fan of satellite and cable feeds in HD. Depending on the encoding I think Netflix can look better than either of those.

Of course, if it looks like that on Blu-ray I'll be really disappointed. I hate DNR.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #451

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsi View Post
I've never been a fan of satellite and cable feeds in HD. Depending on the encoding I think Netflix can look better than either of those.

Of course, if it looks like that on Blu-ray I'll be really disappointed. I hate DNR.
What bothers me most in this situation, is that false channel advertising: "First time ever in HD".
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #452

Oct 2010

Quote:

Seriously, they zoomed the picture in? The first season was shot in 4:3 wasn't it? I know there's a whole 16:9/4:3 debate going on, but I think everyone agrees that if a season was SHOT in 4:3 they should show it that way.

Anyway, I'm psyched that they're remastering the show. Anyone know where us from other countries will be able to watch it? Perhaps somewhere online?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #453

Aug 2013
France

Adoken you can look here:
http://www.filmon.com/tv/pivot-tv#

Every 3 minutes, you have to press again "HD".

I'm really disappointed. I felt the DNR.
Original aspect ratio on Blu-Ray please !
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #454

Oct 2012

Haven't read too many pages back, but is there any info on whether they are broadcasting some kind of actual HD scan of the negatives or prints (even if they applied too much DNR), or whether this is just an upscale of the SD stuff?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #455
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Those are pretty bad. Either 4:3 or a better remaster job in 16:9 for the Blu-ray.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #456

Aug 2013
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Haven't read too many pages back, but is there any info on whether they are broadcasting some kind of actual HD scan of the negatives or prints (even if they applied too much DNR), or whether this is just an upscale of the SD stuff?
Real HD scan for me.
But it's a bad idea to enlarge the image to 16:9. I guess it forces them to make greater use of DNR ...
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #457
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
There are some caps that reveal extra info on the top & sides of the frame, so I think it's safe to say they worked with the negatives. Still has a large portion cropped though.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #458
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

Later on in the series if they are going to be formatted like the first two episodes it is going to suck. David Boreanaz is 3 feet taller than Sarah Michelle Gellar so we are going to get a lot of chins and foreheads being chopped off.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #459

May 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsi View Post
Hopefully Pivot has done the DNR. I've read somewhere else that they previously showed Buffy from SD masters with season 1 also zoomed to 16:9. So maybe there is somewhere a 4:3 master without DNR. I sure hope there is...

Quote:
It's an actual HD scan. At least that's what pivot said.

Edit:
Since Illuminate Hollywood (HTV) made the remaster for X-Files and 24 I think it's a good guess that they are also doing Buffy. 24 Remastered has so much grain that the low bitrate iTunes encodes are full of artifacts. I don't see why they should start using DNR for Buffy. So maybe it really was done by pivot.

Last edited by d514; 08-26-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #460
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
yiiiii!

I think I would just watch the 16mm-derived DVD upscaled. :<
First thing I thought of when looking at those caps! I'll take the haggard-ass DVD over that any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists