Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Justice League (Blu-ray)
€15.00

Peter Rabbit (Blu-ray)
€19.99

Taxi 5 (Blu-ray)
€11.99

The Shannara Chronicles: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
€21.55

Into The Storm (Blu-ray)
€4.99

Dragon Ball Super - L'intégrale box 1 - Épisodes 01-46 (Blu-ray)
€54.99

L'apparition (Blu-ray)
€15.55

Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.55

Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
€20.50
9 hrs ago
Wonderstruck (Blu-ray)
€15.00

Falling Skies: Season 5 (Blu-ray)
€13.69

Better Call Saul: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
€9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
France Gun Crazy (Joseph H. Lewis)

Gun Crazy Blu-ray

Release date: December 4

From DVDClassik :

Quote:
Wild Side: I had this idea. I always thought there was a real kinship between the two films. But when you look at the material available and what you can find around Moonfleet , I think it was unfortunately not enough to make a book of this size. We are going to do something else this year, much more difficult: Gun Crazy , DVD and Blu-ray for the end of October. Why? First it is a film that I love, which is available nowhere in Blu-ray, and because we got our hands on the iconographic material simply amazing thanks to a French collector and, as of usually at the Academy in Los Angeles. I've never seen photos of filming. The book will be written by Eddie Muller, there will be a very long and nice interview with Peggy Cummings who was shot by Eddie during a presentation of the film. It will not be the template of The Night of the Hunter but something smaller, and always the same, in a limited and numbered edition.

Last edited by Akijama; 08-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

please please have no forced subs.

Otherwise I might be 'forced' to get this anyway and hope my new Oppo can shift the subs out of picture.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006
Vienna, Austria

One of my most favorite films and painfully missing from the wave of catalog titles from that period that are now being released by various studios. The US DVD is by Warner.

I will get it even though I am a fervent hater of forced subtitles and since it is Wild Side hopes that it won't have them are slim converging to zero. Will have to rip it, remove the subtitle track and burn it again to BD-R. Otherwise it is unwatchable for me. But hope dies last. Maybe Wild Side will depart from their tradition and refrain this time from forcing the subs instead of making them optional.
My BD/DVD Collection

The whole principle of censorship is wrong. It's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak (Robert Heinlein).

Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from (Jodie Foster).

Plus tu baises, moins tu cogites et mieux tu dors (Virginie Despentes).

Last edited by Konrad; 03-08-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
please please have no forced subs.

Otherwise I might be 'forced' to get this anyway and hope my new Oppo can shift the subs out of picture.
I have tried that already with my Oppo 93. It was not possible to move the subs far enough down. The top half, when subs consisted of two lines, was still visible. However, after I increased the overscan at the bottom in order to blank out the infected lower part entirely, what remained of the subtitles went together with the image. Even though the strip of image lost is rather small (a bit like cropping 1.85:1 to 1.78:1) it is not really a satisfactory solution.
My BD/DVD Collection

The whole principle of censorship is wrong. It's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak (Robert Heinlein).

Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from (Jodie Foster).

Plus tu baises, moins tu cogites et mieux tu dors (Virginie Despentes).

Last edited by Konrad; 03-08-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
I have tried that already with my Oppo 93. It was not possible to move the subs far enough down. The top half, when subs consisted of two lines, was still visible. However, after I increased the overscan at the bottom in order to blank out the infected lower part entirely, what remained of the subtitles went together with the image. Even though the strip of image lost is rather small (a bit like cropping 1.85:1 to 1.78:1) it is not really a satisfactory solution.
thanks for that, ideally this would just not have forced subs. Here's hoping.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Release date: December 4

http://www.amazon.fr/Gun-Crazy-Combo...735010&sr=1-16

Cover art. Price: 60 Euros (around 80 U.S. dollars)

Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Leeds, England

Holy shhhhhhht

please don't have forced subs.

Hopefully a UK or US release won't be too far behind if it does have forced subs.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #8

Nov 2008
Central, PA

Another excellent release that I'll import from France forced subs or not! I have GHOST DOG on blu and the forced subs aren't very intrusive especially since I'm so used to it. It's a bit distracting because my eye shifts to the words automatically but definitely worth the A/V upgrade. If this gets a decent transfer then I'll pull the trigger since I have zero faith in a US release.
KOROVA THEATRE
  • JVC DLA-RS10 High-Definition Projector; Craig Rounds calibration
  • Draper 106 inch Onyx Screen, 1.0 Gain w/Veltex Frame
  • Lumagen Radiance XD Video Processor
  • Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player; modified region/code free
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2011
Yorkshire

At £50, I think I'll wait for a more basic UK or US release.

I mean I love it, but...

Steve W
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

60 Euros??
holy crap.
hopefully Warner will bring this to the US at some point. kind of goes without saying.
probably will have forced subs.
EDIT: I forgot that Red River didn't have forced subs, so there actually may be reason for optimism on that front.

Last edited by Arkadin; 08-13-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #12

Jul 2011

the optional/forced subtitles thing, dosen't it depend on the rightsholder (which would be Warner), rather tan on Wild Side?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Expert Member

Nov 2009
7800 Namsos

Can someone tell me why this is so expensive?
Got following OOP for trade:
Melancholia Plain Archive, The Wrestler Plain Archive Steelbook Full Slip, Deep End 3-Disc, Last Year At Marienbad, Leon Morin Priest, Le Cercle Rouge, Play Time, Lady Snowblood Steelbook, Terminator 2 UK Steel Skynet Edition, Casablanca Ultimate Collectors Edition, Jour De Fete, The Nightmare Before Christmas Steelbook

Trading thread
Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Banned

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by retask View Post
Can someone tell me why this is so expensive?
It's a limited and numbered edition in the same vein that the limited numbered edition of The Night of the Hunter.
It's coming from an editorial willingness from Wild Side to offer certain movies into a first luxurious limited edition, and then into a more affordable and standard release.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #15

May 2011
Rome, Italy

(marvellous) caps available at http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/view...p?f=32&t=35134
Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #16

Nov 2008
Central, PA

Looks great but will wait for a standard release.
KOROVA THEATRE
  • JVC DLA-RS10 High-Definition Projector; Craig Rounds calibration
  • Draper 106 inch Onyx Screen, 1.0 Gain w/Veltex Frame
  • Lumagen Radiance XD Video Processor
  • Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player; modified region/code free
Old 11-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Banned

Sep 2010
France

I've bought from Wild Side own webstore Gun Crazy.

1- French subs are removable, as they are for Night of the Demon (you can only choose French dub, or English + French subs in the language menus, but once the film has started, you can remove the subs using your remote).
2- The disc is compatible Region A players !
3- Surprisingly, the BD is a BD-25. However, save for the 2 min "Analysis of a scene by Lewis" which is 1080p, all extras are presented in 576i, so they don't even take 2 Gb. The average video bitrate of the movie is thus not harmed (about 25640 kbps).

Overall, the PQ is quite good though not mind blowing. The HD encode is at least natural and neutral respecting an organic and filming look. However, it's lacking the fine details you'd expect from a BD, but I don't know if it's elements/shooting related (it could be). The print is virtually dirt-scratch-moisture free, and the contrast is good and stable.

AQ is not so bad either but sounds expectedly flat and dated. It's clean though, with only a small floor-noise which can be heard from time to time, especially in the last sequence.

PQ : 7.5 out of 10
AQ : 7.5 out 10

Disc Title: GUN_CRAZY
Disc Size: 22,672,593,736 bytes
Size: 19,191,478,272 bytes
Length: 1:27:12.435
Total Bitrate: 29.34 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 25971 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: French / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 832 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 16-bit)
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 917 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 16-bit)
Subtitle: French / 0.607 kbps
Subtitle: French / 23.582 kbps

EDIT : I can now confirm that the BD is Region A compatible. I have been able to screen it on my Region A locked Panasonic BDT-110 player.

Last edited by tenia; 11-30-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #18

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
I can now confirm that the BD is Region A compatible. I have been able to screen it on my Region A locked Panasonic BDT-110 player.
Thanks for the information. Do you know if NIGHT OF THE DEMON is Region Free as well? Can you check out the Pathe Classic releases once they appear in a store? Would love to get most of these if they are Region Free as well.

Last edited by DJANGO; 11-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Banned

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJANGO View Post
Thanks for the information. Do you know if NIGHT OF THE DEMON is Region Free as well? Can you check out the Pathe Classic releases once they appear in a store? Would love to get most of these if they are Region Free as well.
I can check again for the Tourneur, but I think it's Region B locked.

I don't have the Pathe Classic yet, and will probably have them late, because, well, I've already burned my monthly budget with all those boxsets everywhere (Zatoichi, Les tontons flingueurs, Gun Crazy, WCP Vol. 1 and The Night of the Demon ).
Old 11-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #20

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
I can check again for the Tourneur, but I think it's Region B locked.

I don't have the Pathe Classic yet, and will probably have them late, because, well, I've already burned my monthly budget with all those boxsets everywhere (Zatoichi, Les tontons flingueurs, Gun Crazy, WCP Vol. 1 and The Night of the Demon ).
Well, the ZATOICHI is certainly worth it, beautiful set! Word on the Pathe Classics will be appreciated whenever the time is right. Thanks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France