Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Nov 2008
Michigan
Default Milleniata M-Disc Archival Blu-ray Discs

http://blog.cd-info.com/2013/01/mill...blu-ray-discs/

Milleniata Blu-ray @CES2013
"I'd unravel every riddle, For every Individual, In trouble or in pain.

Last edited by img eL; 03-12-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #2

Nov 2008
Michigan

"There will be a Catastrophic Failure in cloud computing......!!

Part 1
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzDk...ature=youtu.be

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihxf...ature=youtu.be

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRjn6...ature=youtu.be

Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go7yX...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by img eL; 03-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Special Member

May 2011

I love how the idea of digital storage always creeps up every once in a while.

My laserdiscs movies from the 1990s have no trouble playing today. I have only had one title not work correctly and it was the movie Gattaca, my DVDs have always kept working, the only issue I ever had was with Driving Miss Daisy which seamed to have stopped working.

I have no doubt that blu ray discs will work 20 years from now.

95 out of 100 discs will not be usable in 12 years, I think not.
The names...Chuff...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemaster View Post

My laserdiscs movies from the 1990s have no trouble playing today. I have only had one title not work correctly and it was the movie Gattaca, my DVDs have always kept working, the only issue I ever had was with Driving Miss Daisy which seamed to have stopped working.

they're talking about storage devices, not professionally pressed discs. Burned discs use a completely different setup and for archival purposes are very dicey. This is meant to replace THAT usage. Unless there's a major f-up in the pressing process pressed discs will last forever
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Nov 2008
Michigan

Quote:

Disc's that are stamped will last a very long time
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
they're talking about storage devices, not professionally pressed discs. Burned discs use a completely different setup and for archival purposes are very dicey. This is meant to replace THAT usage. Unless there's a major f-up in the pressing process pressed discs will last forever
Oh I see.
The names...Chuff...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Oh I see.
I have a very high-end standalone CD-R drive that I use to copy albums, radio airchecks, etc. I replaced the CD-R drive component some years ago after I began to get failures. But I've noticed that even though I spot-checked every CD-R when it was made, a very large percentage of them won't play properly anymore.

Sometimes I can fix them by playing them back on another machine, taking the analog output and remastering them again onto CD-R. But CD-R (and I would guess DVD-R and BD-R) are not really archival formats.

I have almost no problems with commercially pressed discs. I have about 1000 CDs and I think over the years only 3-4 have had problems, but two of those were defective when I received them.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Nov 2008
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
I have a very high-end standalone CD-R drive that I use to copy albums, radio airchecks, etc. I replaced the CD-R drive component some years ago after I began to get failures. But I've noticed that even though I spot-checked every CD-R when it was made, a very large percentage of them won't play properly anymore.
As a last resort those CD-R's could be played back on very super high end CD player like this
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #9

Dec 2007
FL, WV

The little used "DVD RAM" format was claimed to be an archival format with much longer data life than DVD +/- R or RW discs. Panasonic was the major supplier for DVD-RAM drives and standalone DVR recorders that supported this format.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #10

Nov 2008
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjones View Post
The little used "DVD RAM" format was claimed to be an archival format with much longer data life than DVD +/- R or RW discs. Panasonic was the major supplier for DVD-RAM drives and standalone DVR recorders that supported this format.
DVD-RAM is a rewritable media, although it is better than DVD+/-R, DVD-RAM is a Phase transition technology so it would be susceptible to temperature.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

I will definitely be looking in to these. Thanks for the post My inlaws and some other extended family has had old Super-8 film movies sent that they recently sent off through a telecine and burned to DVD-R, but I have been nervous as I know that drive burned DVD-R won't last half as long as the original old celluloid. So I may re-burn them on to a format like this.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Banned

Jan 2013

Quote:

IT is actually true, If you ever look at one of your DVDs (pressed retail) from years ago, and blow your breath on them, you will see no imperfections.

IF you do that to those made in last 3 years (AND ALL BLU-RAYS made) you will see all kind of splotches and marks this is because they have introduced substances that will degrade and render discs unplayable sooner than a non-substance induced discs would.

Think of those old rent and watch dvd's they came up with that lasted 1 time and then were throw away after that, although these new regular dvd's and blurays will last longer, but its the same concept.

Last edited by stts651; 03-23-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
Banned

Jan 2013

To be ARCHIVAL, we NEED DUAL or QUAD LAYER BLU-RAY discs
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by stts651 View Post
IT is actually true, If you ever look at one of your DVDs (pressed retail) from years ago, and blow your breath on them, you will see no imperfections.

IF you do that to those made in last 3 years (AND ALL BLU-RAYS made) you will see all kind of splotches and marks this is because they have introduced substances that will degrade and render discs unplayable sooner than a non-substance induced discs would.

Think of those old rent and watch dvd's they came up with that lasted 1 time and then were throw away after that, although these new regular dvd's and blurays will last longer, but its the same concept.
So are you saying newer blu rays and DVDs that are pressed for retail are not made the same as older DVDs or blurays from the past?
The names...Chuff...
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #15

Nov 2007

Looks like these are finally coming available in August.

http://www.mdisc.com/millenniata-cel...-optical-disc/
Sony KDS60A3000 SXRD 60" RP HDTV
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RS-7
SVS 20-39PC subwoofer
Pioneer VSX-92TXH Elite, Onkyo TX-DS696 Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-ray Player
OTA HD: Radio Shack VU-90XR Roof (All HD Chicago, including channel 2.1)
Omni1000LCD Battery/Surge
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #16

Nov 2008
Michigan

Maybe finally, finally the 25GB Blu ray M-Disc's will be released?

from there facebook page

"The 25GB Blu-ray M-Disc is ready! You can pre-order now at http://www.mdisc.com/. We are happy to announce that the Blu-ray Disc Association has approved our design as a standard Blu-ray with no restrictions on compatibility issues with current standards. Thank you to everyone in the market that have supported us in accomplishing this. We are in full production now and will be able to ship orders before the end of March. All pre-orders from our website will be first in line as the discs arrive in the USA. Thank you."

That above was from March 3rd so who knows, well at least there pre order page states that they will ship before March 31 http://www.mdisc.com/catalog/
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

To be fair, laserdiscs are an analog format so it can read past a lot of scratches and such.

Hard drives are another matter, as the magnetic charge does not last forever and the drives can stick mechanically after a while. That is why even digitally sourced movies are printed back onto film for long term storage. 40 years from now, the only way to watch The Hobbit may be off the 35mm separation masters.

If you had a disc that was completely metallic, it should last forever provided it is not severely scratched. The commercially pressed discs should last quite a long time as they have a metallic layer on them. The glass masters used in the pressing process will last forever if they are taken care of. As mentioned by others here, it is the consumer burned CDs that are the real problem.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
Power Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

This is a very long article but explains the problems with long term storage of digital data- format obsolescence and data corruption.

http://www.oscars.org/science-techno...igitaldilemma/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology