Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
7 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1

Jun 2012
Default Can leaving a blu-ray disc paused for too long damage the disc or player?

Not sure if this is the right place to post my question. I hope it is. Anyway, I'm just curious if leaving a movie paused for too long can damage the disc or player. I use my PS3 to play movies and TV shows on blu-ray. Normally I only leave stuff paused for like 5 minutes to use the bathroom, get something to eat etc. I did have to leave it paused for about 30-40 minutes tonight though. I'm guessing 30-40 minutes isn't really that long, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to my electronics wanting to make sure I don't damage them.

Also, what about rewinding and fast-forwarding? I try not to rewind and fast-forward too much if I don't have to.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Jan 2010

I don't know about other players but universal discs don't stay paused for long and my Sony blu-ray player has a screen saver function.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by celltf View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post my question. I hope it is. Anyway, I'm just curious if leaving a movie paused for too long can damage the disc or player. I use my PS3 to play movies and TV shows on blu-ray. Normally I only leave stuff paused for like 5 minutes to use the bathroom, get something to eat etc. I did have to leave it paused for about 30-40 minutes tonight though. I'm guessing 30-40 minutes isn't really that long, but I'm a little paranoid when it comes to my electronics wanting to make sure I don't damage them.

Also, what about rewinding and fast-forwarding? I try not to rewind and fast-forward too much if I don't have to.
40 minutes, is quite a long time, to leave still images on a HDTV, without a screen saver. It may have been longer than 40 minutes. It won't do any permanent damage to your screen this time, but just don't make it a habit by leaving a movie on pause, for that long period of time. For any reason, if you need to pause a movie that long, use the scrolling bar on the TV, to help prevent burn-in, until you resume the movie or stop the movie completely.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
40 minutes, is quite a long time, to leave still images on a HDTV, without a screen saver. It may have been longer than 40 minutes. It won't do any permanent damage to your screen this time, but just don't make it a habit by leaving a movie on pause, for that long period of time. For any reason, if you need to pause a movie that long, use the scrolling bar on the TV, to help prevent burn-in, until you resume the movie or stop the movie completely.
Or, just turn the TV off while it's paused for any duration that you can forsee becoming longer than 10 minutes. That's what I would do. Then again, if I know it's going to be longer than a 10 minute break, I stop the disc altogether, turn all of my gear off, and restart the film at some other time. I will never watch any film in broken context. It is not the way that it was meant to be seen and ruins the intended experience.

I myself don't technically know how a BD drive works in paused mode. However, I would assume that the laser is still active to some degree in maintaining its position on the disc track for quick resuming once unpaused. Therefore, I would imaging that having a disc paused for that period of time does definitely have some impact on the hardware, albeit a very small one at 30 minutes. It would certainly have no effect on the disc though.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

May 2007
Default Can leaving a blu ray paused for too long damage the disc or player

With the new technogly and new features that come in these newer blu ray players most of them come with a built in auto power off feature that will automatically turn off the machine. My Sony S3100 does it. If you don't use it for 30 minutes it turns off automatically. So leaving a disc in the player will probably not hurt the player or disc but say 5 years ago it might have damaged both the disc and player. Just like other people said don't make a habit of it.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2009
Beaufort SC (British Expat)

Quote:

The only time i rewind is when the film is finished and i rewind it so when i wanna watch it again it will start from the beginning

after 5 min on pause my system flips to the screensaver
LG 47LW5600 (3D) (main room)
Energy take classic 5.0
Phillips 42" Full 1080p HDTV (bed room)
Panasonic BDT220 (3D)
Sony BD S350
Insignia NS BRDVD4 (Region Free)
Denon AVR 1612
Xbox 360...(2 of them with the kinect)
Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Papua New Guinea

Quote:

Rewinding and fast-forwarding should have the same effect as playing. So fast-forwarding to a spot 5 minutes further will have less wear physically than playing to that point because it takes longer for the drive spinning to come to that point when playing.
Living Room HT (In Papua New Guinea) Toshiba 40-inch 1080p (40L2200U); Sony BDP-S5100 region free player; Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver; Polk Monitor 45B's; Polk Monitor 15C; Polk T15's; Harmony 650 remote

My Other Living Room HT (in storage in the States) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player; Onkyo HT-S5600 7.1 HT speaker system w/ receiver
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Aside from burn-in issues on the TV, which can be resolved either by a TV function that turns itself off automatically or by a player function that turns it self off or returns to a screen saver automatically (or by manually shutting the TV off), there's no difference between pause, playing and fast forwarding/rewinding a disc. The laser is on and the disc is spinning, so there's a bit of wear on the player in all those scenarios. There's no negative impact on the disc itself as the laser does not touch the disc.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
Columbus, Ohio

I've been wondering this as well. I often pause my movies to go to the bathroom or make myself some food which takes no longer than 15 minutes. Also my Sony player has a screen saver function.

Could someone explain or link me to a thread that explains what burn in is and how it effects your TV?
Most films that I find good I don't want to experience again.

-iScottie
Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco. View Post
I've been wondering this as well. I often pause my movies to go to the bathroom or make myself some food which takes no longer than 15 minutes. Also my Sony player has a screen saver function.

Could someone explain or link me to a thread that explains what burn in is and how it effects your TV?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in
http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...tv-burnin.html

Last edited by rdodolak; 04-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #11

Sep 2007

and to be clear most of the recent sets its a matter of IR not burn in...Those two seem to get interchanged very easily....Burn-in good luck gettign rid of it, IR is temporary and can be "erased" the length of time it takes to remove can vary form set to set and how "heavy" the IR is.....
Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I would never leave one static image on my TV for 40 minutes. I only ever leave movies paused for about 10 min. If I am leaving something paused fo longer I will turn on the PVR and switch to the my TV so there are no static images.

Fast forwarding or rewinding optical media does no harm to it, because nothing is touching the disc. It was murder on tapes though as the tape was being run beween two magnets.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!

Last edited by Canada; 04-07-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #13

Jun 2012

I know not to leave on my TV with a still image for long periods of time. If I know I'm going to be out of my room for more than a couple of minutes, I always turn it off.

The PS3 darkens the screen when it's been paused for a certain period of time, but it doesn't have a screen saver function or anything like that. I'm pretty sure it's still running though as I don't think it has like an "automatic off-switch" if it's been paused for a long time.

It sounds like the general consensus is that the disc will be fine, but the player really should just be turned off if you're going to leave it paused for that long. I didn't plan on leaving it paused that long, it just happened for reasons I don't feel like discussing here. I don't plan on making a habit of leaving it paused that long. Doing it just that once shouldn't mess up my PS3 though, right?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I know not to leave on my TV with a still image for long periods of time. If I know I'm going to be out of my room for more than a couple of minutes, I always turn it off.

The PS3 darkens the screen when it's been paused for a certain period of time, but it doesn't have a screen saver function or anything like that. I'm pretty sure it's still running though as I don't think it has like an "automatic off-switch" if it's been paused for a long time.

It sounds like the general consensus is that the disc will be fine, but the player really should just be turned off if you're going to leave it paused for that long. I didn't plan on leaving it paused that long, it just happened for reasons I don't feel like discussing here. I don't plan on making a habit of leaving it paused that long. Doing it just that once shouldn't mess up my PS3 though, right?
Yes, your PS3 is fine. You just had the one incident, so it shouldn't had any effect on your PS3, or HDTV at all.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #15

Dec 2009

With the remote I've setup here at the house for the family to use there are fixed power on/off buttons on the LCD screen for each activity. From the "Activities" page these buttons are used to power on/off the whole system.

From each activity based page the power on/off buttons function specific to the activity. A short/normal button press will always turn the particular display on/off based on the zone you are in. A long/extended button press sounds a short tone from the remote, then powering on/off the main component used for the activity instead, in the below case the 2nd Blu-ray changer.

I programmed the power buttons this way while under a given activity for just the reasons being discussed here. The best defense against image retention is having the display powered off. With our plasma display especially it just makes no sense to leave it powered on if someone has paused or stopped playback for instance leaving a static image up on the screen with the intentions of resuming playback in a few minutes or whatever. Makes a lot more sense to just power off the display at that point as well, then powering it back on when you're ready to resume playback. As I programmed the remote to be activity based the power on/off buttons while under a given activity were not getting used anyway. Originally all they did was power on/off the main component used by the activity. I just liked having those commands covered. Now that they are set to power on/off the display they get used all the time, a long/extended button press of course still allowing for powering on/off the main component of the activity.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 04-08-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:

Actually, it does have a built-in function that allows the system to power itself off automatically after a certain period of time. I have it set so that my PS3 will turn itself of automatically after 1 hour without any motion/activity from the controller. However, I've turned that feature off for media specifically. So, this way, if a game is paused or the PS3 was left on sitting in the XMB screen, it will turn off on its own. This feature can also be turned on for media playback as well, however I've avoided trying it because it sounds like the PS3 will likely turn off right in the middle of watching a film. So, I'd have to set the auto-off setting to 3 hours to make that work properly for me. And, as I said above, if I'm going to step away from my PS3 in the middle of a film for any longer than 10 or 15 minutes, I'm turning everything off anyhow when I walk away. That, or I'll sure as shit be back around before 3 hours has transpired anyhow. So, that feature is pointless for my situation.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders