Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steve McQueen Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
4 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
17 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Mar 2013
USA Pioneer elite bdp-62fd

How does the PIONEER ELITE BDP-62FD Blu-ray player compare to a Playstation 3? Apparently the Pioneer has a bunch of features, but what do they exactly do? Is it worth buying a player like over simply using a Playstation 3?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer-...8#tab=overview
TV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800

Last edited by RomanBlade86; 04-08-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

Jun 2011
California

I have an older Elite (BDP-31FD) and my recommendation is that if you go for a stand alone player over the PS3... Get the Oppo BDP-103 instead.
The extra $100 will be worth it.
Steelbook Count: 87
DigiBook Count: 3
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1238 View Post
I have an older Elite (BDP-31FD) and my recommendation is that if you go for a stand alone player over the PS3... Get the Oppo BDP-103 instead.
The extra $100 will be worth it.
What exactly makes a standalone player better than a PS3? What added features does a standalone player add, and what do these features actually do?

Supposedly this Pioneer Blu-ray player is $199 in store only at Best Buy according to a topic on Slickdeals but it says it's unavailable in my area when checking availability but I was still curious.

Last edited by RomanBlade86; 04-08-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #4

Jun 2011
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post
What exactly makes a standalone player better than a PS3? What added features does a standalone player add, and what do these features actually do?

Supposedly this Pioneer Blu-ray player is $199 in store only at Best Buy according to a topic on Slickdeals but it says it's unavailable in my area when checking availability but I was still curious.
Well I cannot really comment on the PS3 since I do not know the internal blurry components.
As for the Oppo... There is an entire thread with over 1,000 posts about the details and features.
I was only hoping to wet your interest so that you may investigate all options.
In a nutshell though, I have heard that the Oppo is the best player on the market for its price. I plan on buying one soon and I am a current Elite owner as mentioned before.
Steelbook Count: 87
DigiBook Count: 3
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #5

Oct 2008

I'm thinking about purchasing this player. I tried the Pioneer BDP150 and it made rubbing sounds on my DVDs when closing the tray. Does the Pioner BDP-62FD make rubbing sounds on DVDs and blu-rays when closing the tray as well?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #6

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing this player. I tried the Pioneer BDP150 and it made rubbing sounds on my DVDs when closing the tray. Does the Pioner BDP-62FD make rubbing sounds on DVDs and blu-rays when closing the tray as well?
Do you know that Pioneer does not make their own blu-ray players? A few years ago they decided to have their bluray players to be built by a low-end electronics manufacturer. Pioneer blu-ray players are now considered junky. If you want to get the Oppo BDP-103 forget about it, most people do not need most of the the features on it.

If you still have a 32 inch tv (I checked in one of your previous posts), you will not be able to tell the difference in picture quality from an entry level blu-ray player to high-end bluray players. Every single blu-ray player has the same HD picture quality. You are better off with the PS3 or an entry level blu-ray player. If you can't decide on which bluray player to get after a few years of posting, just get a streaming device like a Roku 3 to stream movies from Amazon, Vudu, or Netflix.

Last edited by Vor4; 04-09-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #7

Oct 2008

It just seems harder and harder to get a good quality blu-ray player (not in terms of image quality). I remember owning a Sony BDP-N460, although slow at ejecting, it felt that it was a quality player in terms of construction and felt it had a better quality drive than most players do these days. I also owned a Panasonic BD65 a few years ago and I felt it was a quality player overall. Players these days just seem to get louder during playback, at least that's what I'm finding out. Even though I have a 32" screen, I still would be able to tell the difference in terms of drive noise, reliability, and speed between different players, and it was nothing to do with screen size.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #8

Oct 2008

Also these days, all the sub $200 blu-ray players just look cheaply built to me. Compare Sony's BDP-S360 that was released about 6 years ago to Sony's just released BDP5100 in terms of construction. The BDP-S360 in my opinion just looks like a better quality product than the BDP-S5100 by just the appearance.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #9

Aug 2009

Quote:
It just seems harder and harder to get a good quality blu-ray player (not in terms of image quality). I remember owning a Sony BDP-N460, although slow at ejecting, it felt that it was a quality player in terms of construction and felt it had a better quality drive than most players do these days. I also owned a Panasonic BD65 a few years ago and I felt it was a quality player overall. Players these days just seem to get louder during playback, at least that's what I'm finding out. Even though I have a 32" screen, I still would be able to tell the difference in terms of drive noise, reliability, and speed between different players, and it was nothing to do with screen size.
Picture quality has to do with screen size. Each year manufacturers put in faster cheap quality blu-ray drives to drive the cost down on the blu-ray players as well lowering the build quality on them. If you do not want any noise get a Roku 3.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #10

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor4 View Post
Picture quality has to do with screen size. Each year manufacturers put in faster cheap quality blu-ray drives to drive the cost down on the blu-ray players as well lowering the build quality on them. If you do not want any noise get a Roku 3.
If it weren't for my ISP's 150GB data cap and 5mb/s actual dl speed , I would be still using Netflix and Vudu. I have already a Roku 2 XS but stopped using it because I felt that I was getting too close to the data cap with all the streaming TV shows and movies and buying games off Steam, I actually prefer streaming, provided that I didn't have a data cap and had faster connection.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Power Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

Quote:
Also these days, all the sub $200 blu-ray players just look cheaply built to me. Compare Sony's BDP-S360 that was released about 6 years ago to Sony's just released BDP5100 in terms of construction. The BDP-S360 in my opinion just looks like a better quality product than the BDP-S5100 by just the appearance.
I agree somewhat although I have the bdp-s360 and when compared to some older dvd players it looks pretty cheap. But yeah I agree, the newer ones are a hunk of junk. Just eject the tray and grab it with your hand, it feels like it would break any moment. Sad I miss the made in Japan stuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #12

Oct 2008

As to not wanting any noise. I actually prefer the noise from my PC over many blu-ray players I tried out. It's also the kind of noise besides how loud it is. I can't hear my blu-ray drive playing a disc in my PC, since the fans mask the noise, yet the fans are not too loud for me. It's mainly the sound of moving air from fans when play a disc on my PC and I find that more pleasant than a blu-ray player with whiney, loud drive without fans during playback. But then again I like using a remote and don't like sitting in front of a desk when watching a movie so that's why I avoid using my PC most of the time for movie watching.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #13

Dec 2006
Chandler, AZ

Best Buy is selling these for $200, so I jumped at the chance to replace my BDP-33FD which was just a re-badged Sharp. Much better build quality, quieter and quicker.
LG 55LM-7600 3D LED TV
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer Elite VSX-51 Receiver
Sony PS3 60GB
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #14

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor4 View Post
Do you know that Pioneer does not make their own blu-ray players? A few years ago they decided to have their bluray players to be built by a low-end electronics manufacturer. Pioneer blu-ray players are now considered junky. If you want to get the Oppo BDP-103 forget about it, most people do not need most of the the features on it.

If you still have a 32 inch tv (I checked in one of your previous posts), you will not be able to tell the difference in picture quality from an entry level blu-ray player to high-end bluray players. Every single blu-ray player has the same HD picture quality. You are better off with the PS3 or an entry level blu-ray player. If you can't decide on which bluray player to get after a few years of posting, just get a streaming device like a Roku 3 to stream movies from Amazon, Vudu, or Netflix.
I have a 50" ST50 and plan on using my PS3 as a Blu-ray player. Would a standalone Blu-ray player have a better image quality than the PS3?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

Apr 2011

RomanBlade86,
For blu ray play back no the PQ will be the same for every player. If you going to use it for DVD play back then yes. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #16

Oct 2008

A few days ago I bought this player on sale for $200 at a BB but 2 days later I returned it for a refund. What made me return it for a refund was that when I wanted to resume where I left off on a DVD, the player would not show audio or video until a few seconds ahead from where I left off on the DVD. On a BD (non-Java), the player would take slightly longer to show image and audio from where I left off on the BD. The timer on the player would be slightly behind from where I left off and then go past from were I left off for a few seconds ahead before showing image on screen and audio. Only once did it resume exactly where I left off on a DVD. I also was told that this player had the chroma bug by a family member but I'm not sure if that's true or not because I didn't notice it and had the latest firmware installed but then again I'm using a 32" 1080p screen, but I would have kept the player if it were not for that memory disc resume issue I was having with it. I also tried the Pioneer BDP-150, and could not tell the difference in image quality on DVD upscaling. Reason I returned the BDP-150 was because it locked up on me while playing a DVD and I had to unplug it to turn it off as it would not respond to any button presses on player and the remote while it locked up.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

At that price I'm going to upgrade my Elite DV-48AV SACD/DVD-A player to the Elite BDP-62FD. Having 3D Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio all on a player for $300 cheaper than the Oppo makes it a no brainer.

I've wanted to move to one player for all my discs and this will be it...with the exception of PAL DVDs and REGION B (or 1080i50) Blu-ray discs which I'll keep my Orei for.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #18

Oct 2008
Eau Claire WI
Send a message via Yahoo to arc trooper

i did it.. cant wait to get it
GT: ARCx7
PSN: INSANEOFLEX

My Theater thread! check it out! I love answering questions!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=103617
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders