COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Kick-Ass (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.00
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #1

May 2010
California
Default Forget 4K, Now 8K is Coming

I'd love to be at NAB this year:

A highlight of the NAB's 2013 Futures Park will be NHK’s Super Hi-Vision demonstration. It will feature a presentation theater for viewing the system’s 8k video and 22.2-multichannel sound (including content recorded in cooperation with the Olympic Broadcasting Service and the BBC at the London 2012 Olympic Games).

The system’s 7680 x 4320 video format provides 16 times the number of pixels as HDTV, for stunning clarity and an immersive visual experience. Meanwhile, the system’s massive multichannel audio system produces unprecedented immersion into a 3D sound space for viewers located anywhere within a large viewing area. Besides the presentation in the theater, NHK will also show for the first time outside Japan the real-time, over-the-air transmission and reception of Super Hi-Vision broadcasts, using two UHF television channels.

NHK also plans to show its latest developments in production technology for the system, including a 120 Hz Super Hi-Vision camera, as well as the first compact Super Hi-Vision camera suitable for robust mobile use, and a 22.2 multichannel sound production system. The interactive capabilities of a converged broadband/broadcast service will also be presented in a demonstration of the NHK “Hybridcast” system.
Panasonic Viera 50" Class ST50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV - Onkyo HT-S9400THX Home Theater Receiver - BDP-S790 4K and 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Ohio

This is Japan though, they've always gotten super high-tech stuff many years before the U.S. or average consumer. They had HD equipment in the early 90's and best version of T2 on any format.

8K will not be available to the general public for at least a decade or more.

Last edited by Trekkie313; 04-08-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Dammit Japan.
Most films that I find good I don't want to experience again.

-iScottie
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

This is interesting but I don't care we barely have consumer 4K.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #5

May 2010
California

Yeah I know, but it would still be awesome to see the display.
Panasonic Viera 50" Class ST50 Series Full HD Plasma HDTV - Onkyo HT-S9400THX Home Theater Receiver - BDP-S790 4K and 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
I'd love to be at NAB this year:

A highlight of the NAB's 2013 Futures Park will be NHK’s Super Hi-Vision demonstration. It will feature a presentation theater for viewing the system’s 8k video and 22.2-multichannel sound (including content recorded in cooperation with the Olympic Broadcasting Service and the BBC at the London 2012 Olympic Games).

The system’s 7680 x 4320 video format provides 16 times the number of pixels as HDTV, for stunning clarity and an immersive visual experience. Meanwhile, the system’s massive multichannel audio system produces unprecedented immersion into a 3D sound space for viewers located anywhere within a large viewing area. Besides the presentation in the theater, NHK will also show for the first time outside Japan the real-time, over-the-air transmission and reception of Super Hi-Vision broadcasts, using two UHF television channels.

NHK also plans to show its latest developments in production technology for the system, including a 120 Hz Super Hi-Vision camera, as well as the first compact Super Hi-Vision camera suitable for robust mobile use, and a 22.2 multichannel sound production system. The interactive capabilities of a converged broadband/broadcast service will also be presented in a demonstration of the NHK “Hybridcast” system.
I saw this presentation at ibc in amsterdam back in 2011. It was very impressive especially 22.2 sound. It was footage of a shuttle launch and a football match. Outside the theatre there was a live link to a O.B unit filming the B.B.C HQ. Very impressive.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

tech on the edge that is worked on is always a generation away. Obviously as 4k is becoming a reality there will be people working on 8K. There were people taht were working on HD before DVD even hit the shelves.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Banned

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBogey View Post
This just in...12K on the way, forget 8K.
12k? Try 43K.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Banned

Apr 2013

How big would the TV need to be to be able to see the difference between 4K & 8K?
I only dreamed that I could have a 100" TV when I was a kid, maybe in just a couple of years it will be a reality for the masses?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

ridiculous.... they're reaching for levels that the average consumer doesn't care about and will never pay big bucks for....
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Banned

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKORIS View Post
ridiculous.... they're reaching for levels that the average consumer doesn't care about and will never pay big bucks for....
That is not how you innovate. If the same thing was said of any new tech then we would still be using the 8" floppies.

With this you could have an "HD wall" in your room. Think of the possibilities?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novartis View Post
That is not how you innovate. If the same thing was said of any new tech then we would still be using the 8" floppies.

Stuff the masses. They are just sheep.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBogey View Post
This just in...12K on the way, forget 8K.

The higher the pixel density….the better will be the quality of future autostereoscopic (glasses-free) 3D displays.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #14

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novartis View Post

I haven’t checked so I’m not sure if that insight made it into the videoclip linked here - http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....re#post7404949

because it was discussed in the lengthy Q&A following the speaker presentations but, large future television systems (in essence covering much of a wall in your home/apartment) are anticipated/hoped to be derived from rollable OLED tech and tileable (like tiles in one’s bathroom) technology with seamless tiling vis-à-vis something like top emission OLED tiles.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #15

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Stuff the masses. They are just sheep.
Stee, you’re being too professional with your wording.

Scroll (about 7 down) to what Guillermo del Toro said this week at CinemaCon about audiences.
https://twitter.com/Variety_Stewart

Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Stee, you’re being too professional with your wording.

Scroll (about 7 down) to what Guillermo del Toro said this week at CinemaCon about audiences.
https://twitter.com/Variety_Stewart
True. Being different gives one a unique perspective.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #17

Apr 2007

Quote:
Forget 4K, Now 8K is Coming
Well not "Now" but, don't be surprised if it can be accomplished (for things such as TV shows and movies) in the future...
http://www.tvbeurope.com/main-conten...s#.UXGIkrVtjkc

Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
Banned

Apr 2013
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Yeah I know, but it would still be awesome to see the display.
But what content are they going to show on it? Digital cameras don't shoot 8K, and 35mm tops out between 5-6K. Only 70mm (and maybe IMAX) has the equivalent of an 8K resolution.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #19

May 2008
Wash, DC area

I attended an 8K demo last year in DC and it was impressive but won't be available to the consumer until approximately 2020. The 22.2 sound was most impressive but also the fact that no current HDMI could handle the content.

See the pictures/write-up:

http://http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=202838&highlight=ultra+hd[/URL

Last edited by HD Man; 04-19-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Special Member

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock_Jr View Post
But what content are they going to show on it? Digital cameras don't shoot 8K, and 35mm tops out between 5-6K. Only 70mm (and maybe IMAX) has the equivalent of an 8K resolution.
Standard 70mm film has 5 perforations per frame and IMAX has 15 which is why the format is so detailed and why it has a square like aspect ratio. So if 70mm negatives top out at about 8k, IMAX would be roughly 24k.

http://www.ieee.ca/millennium/imax/imax_technical.html

Last edited by singhcr; 04-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology