Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$13.99
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS3)
$46.58
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
$17.49
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
$17.54
Aegis Of Earth: Protonovus Assault (PS3)
$18.98
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, The (PS3)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota
Default Do you guys ever miss how gaming USED to be?

Maybe the younger ppl wont know what Im talking about, but to me gaming has gone downhill from a certain standpoint

Yea the Graphics are life like, and the sound in 5.1, and online play is great, But I miss the days where if you wanted to play games ( for me in the mid 90s - 2005 ish ) You would go to a friends house and play "a game" Games now are so lifelike and technical, it almost seems like work sometimes, or maybe thats just me getting old and missing the simple things.. Grabbing a case of Mountain Dew and playing Goldeneye for 10 hrs on a Saturday, playing Dreamcast Soul Caliber Tournaments, Getting 120 stars in Mario 64, Playing games til you die with no save option, or whatever you can remember.

Im not against the new generation of gaming , but it seems with social media ( Facebook, Netflix, ) and basically having your "video game console " do everything your computer does took away alot of the fun to actually have your opponent sitting right next to you.. Im 33 So I guess Im old ( or old school ) but I do Miss the time when Game consoles were all they ever were
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
UK

You mean games that were difficult and required you to think and didn't give you a checkpoint every two seconds or an achievement for simply completing a level or require you to pay additional money for DLC which should've been part of the game in the first place? Yeah, I miss games like these.
"An angel should never enter the kingdom of heaven without a gift."

"Another person to ignore and GLADLY. dallywhitty, dallyunwhitty, he's the expert on posting etiquette." - bootsy
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

I played Quake online in the mid 90's.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
You mean games that were difficult and required you to think and didn't give you a checkpoint every two seconds or an achievement for simply completing a level or require you to pay additional money for DLC which should've been part of the game in the first place? Yeah, I miss games like these.

Lol that too!

Just in general, Felt like a much better atmosphere back in the day when you had friends over all competing to win the mission, the race, the level, or whatever.. Not saying you cant do that now, but Online play killed alot of the fun of actually wanting to be in the same zipcode as your opponent
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis View Post
I played Quake online in the mid 90's.
Not talking about On;line PC games you play by yourself anyways... Talking about Gaming in general
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
Not talking about On;line PC games you play by yourself anyways... Talking about Gaming in general
I wasn't playing alone. I played with the other people on the server. And we could type at each other.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

me & my buddies played the sh!t out of Goldeneye and Halo!!

here i came into this thread thinking it was going to ask if we missed only have 3 lives to beat a game.
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"May the Force Be With You"
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
me & my buddies played the sh!t out of Goldeneye and Halo!!

here i came into this thread thinking it was going to ask if we missed only have 3 lives to beat a game.

Lol Yup!!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2009
hollister ca

I know what you mean I remember the times going to my buddies house to play streetfighter on Nintendo. There be about six to eight of us and we play for hours lol was alot of fun. Dang that was back in highschool now im 36 wow time flys
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-rob77 View Post
I know what you mean I remember the times going to my buddies house to play streetfighter on Nintendo. There be about six to eight of us and we play for hours lol was alot of fun. Dang that was back in highschool now im 36 wow time flys
yea I dont know what it was, but gaming seemed to be more fun back in the day, and I dont know if it was a mix between the games, everyone being in the same room or what, but I do miss those days.. Waverace, Rush 2, Goldeneye, and even FF7 would keep us busy for months lol
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

Truthfully I don't really miss the way gaming Used" to be because I still buy Used games for my older systems and still enjoy playing those. Sure its nice to put on some Bioshock or some other Fancy Pants Shooter (that is what FPS stands for right ) with accurite character models and shading effects and all the things that make a game great (or wait didn't it used to have something to do with actually having fun regardless of what the damned thing looked like) Atari 2600 for the win.

In truth I don't per say have a problem with modern gaming In fact in a lot of ways it is better then ever having access to Additional content (When DLC is done right not punishing the buyer for pre-ordering and not waiting on a Game of the Year edition). The ability to play with any of my friends online no matter where they are (except that seems to be mostly limited to sports games which I don't care for and Twitch games or FP/TPS which again not really my favorite). However I do miss having my friends over to the house and making a weekend of beating battletoads by handing off the controller as we died and trying in turns to advance that very challenging game and when we succeded at it having that shared memory of how hard we worked at it as a team. Modern day Co-Op has nothing on that as its just 2 or more people playing their own way as a team.

But yes there does seem to be something wrong with gaming now vs then but it could just be the nestlgia settling in. Oh well I may head home tonight and throw on some xenogears or tales of destiny on the old PS1 and get back to ya.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Me & my buddies would literally play all day back during the summers in high school.

We played Goldeneye non-stop…..we’d plant mines all over the map and they’d all go off @ the same time…..so much lag @ that point it was crazy. I’m sure we’re not the only ones that played to the point where that little joy stick wouldn’t even stand up straight by itself anymore.

Halo we’d start playing @ 8 am and go until my buddy had to start work @ 3. he worked in town and we’d be playing @ 2:55 yet when he needed toleave. Up until a few years ago we’d still get together and play halo for 6 or 7 hours on a Friday or Saturday night while the wives took care of the kids.

So much swearing and hitting each other. We always talked about recording ourselves and putting it on youtube.
Blu-Benny’s 7.1 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb PS4 500 gb• Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"May the Force Be With You"
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
Me & my buddies would literally play all day back during the summers in high school.

We played Goldeneye non-stop…..we’d plant mines all over the map and they’d all go off @ the same time…..so much lag @ that point it was crazy. I’m sure we’re not the only ones that played to the point where that little joy stick wouldn’t even stand up straight by itself anymore.

Halo we’d start playing @ 8 am and go until my buddy had to start work @ 3. he worked in town and we’d be playing @ 2:55 yet when he needed toleave. Up until a few years ago we’d still get together and play halo for 6 or 7 hours on a Friday or Saturday night while the wives took care of the kids.

So much swearing and hitting each other. We always talked about recording ourselves and putting it on youtube.
Sounds all to familiar... Reminds me of how many profanities, and bruises Video gaming used to leave
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

I think there's certainly a trend toward easier, more mindless games, but there's still a vibrant core of gamers who enjoy difficulty and aren't scared of it.

Demon's Souls, Catherine, and the older Ninja Gaiden titles (i.e. not NG3) are unapologetic about being difficult.

Downloadable titles like Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, Hotline Miami, I Wanna Be The Guy, and more push the limits of difficulty to extremes that even the old school games never imagined.

Bear in mind that a lot of those old games were difficult because of terrible control schemes or a desire to simply defeat the player as quickly as possible (inherited from arcade roots, where more plays = more money), or simply bad design (see: Castlevania II's completely impenetrable requirement of squatting in a corner with specific things equipped for 5 minutes).

This new breed of difficult games doesn't use any of that as an excuse, and instead promotes difficulty as a virtue for its own sake, which is way better than many older games.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I remember playing Super Mario Brothers, back in those day you couldn't jump online and look for hidden items or levels you had to wait till the next day when you got to school to "share" information on you friends....like Benny said when you 3 lives are done game over.
MOE
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I think it's just a maturity thing in conjunction with overexposure. I just don't feel the NEED to play games immediately these days. I have the patience to wait and enjoy at a reasonable pace. And, these days there are SO MANY good games all coming out a the same time that picking and choosing takes some of the excitement out of it. Add to that the fact that we inherit more time consuming responsibilities as we get older and it all kind of just blends into the "fog of life."

I remember back in the 90s I would have a full month between most games that I was really excited to play. These days I seem to hear of games coming out every other week that I want to play and I just have to say "not yet." I'm sure teenagers with no responsibilities feel differently... as would I if I could just sit at home and play all day.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
I remember playing Super Mario Brothers, back in those day you couldn't jump online and look for hidden items or levels you had to wait till the next day when you got to school to "share" information on you friends....like Benny said when you 3 lives are done game over.
Thats another huge thing I forgot about... No Internet for cheats, or walkthroughs, hints and tricks! If you wanted to know you had to actually PLAY the game or go drop $10-$20 on a guide from babbages or Software etc lol
Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Miami, FL

Ah yes....the days of blowing into the cartridge and hoping the title screen would pop up
But seriously, those were definitely the best days of gaming for me. Ill never forget when Super Mario Bros 3 was released. Mario being able to fly was a big deal. Or when that new issue of Nintendo Power arrived and they would preview new upcoming games. No trailers, no gameplay footage, just a few pics. I remember being floored when they released the first pics of Super Mario World. Damn I'm old!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #19
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

I can't say I fancy the idea of playing the same stretch of a game 100 times in a row or playing for hours only to get sent back to the start because of a lack of checkpoints. I play games for fun and relaxation most of the time, and enjoy challenges and find satisfaction in difficult games, but I find little interesting in obsessively repetitive activities or wasting hours of my leisure time to the effect of experiencing nothing new. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were fine, but I did not enjoy Catherine at all. It did not interest me.

I suspect that much of the nostalgic feeling is simply that...nostalgia. It's pretty common to long for the "good old days" whether your considering gaming or something else. Playing in the physical presence of friends probably had a lot to do with it. It might be interesting to see if you can still perform at the same level when you are 45 years old compared to when you were 15 years old. Your appreciation for that type of difficulty might not be the same 30 years later, whether it's due to maturity and other life obligations and interests or reflexes and ability to learn how to perform new tasks.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2013

Man, Ghosts and Goblins was infuriating but I still have an NES so I get to revisit most of my fave games when I get nostalgic.

But yes, games are so much easier as a whole now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3