Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Duel in the Sun (Roadshow Edit… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.39
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.29
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$8.00
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.28
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (PS3)
$19.99
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (PS3)
$32.01
Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$11.06
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (PS3)
$19.99
LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3)
$18.60
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallima View Post
Man, Ghosts and Goblins was infuriating but I still have an NES so I get to revisit most of my fave games when I get nostalgic.

But yes, games are so much easier as a whole now.
Ghost n Goblins....I'm STILL trying to complete it
Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

I miss it at times, I really loved the old Castlevania's and Contra, E-Swat, Donkey Kong, I miss a lot of those old titles.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #23
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

I know for a fact Im much worse at games now... I flew through super mario world, and Mario 64, and Now after years of playing when I was younger, knowing where everything is, right Techniques etc I still usually go through one life per level lol... Coordination getting worse at old age????

Sad thing is todays games are so much more technical and use about 10 more buttons on avg lol
Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #24
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

I am not so certain it is just nostalgia.

playing through the same level over and over to complete it and once getting through it getting that sense of accomplishment.

Vs.

Call of Duty online multiplayer (not trying to pick on COD but it is a good target) Where users will log hundreds of playthroughs on the same map sometimes win sometimes lose but always repetitive. Where is the grand sense of accomplishment the level will end again and again.

As far as variety of games I think with the Rise to dominance of the FPS/TPS game that it makes us want to try new things from time to time. Some of them fit our profile some of them wont (The example of catherine which is a block puzzle game) which may not be for everyone but man a bunch of people tried it and i think a good number of them did just because it wasn't an FPS/TPS game it was different.

It seems like we are having to look to the indie developers to take chances and only Twitch games are getting AAA status. Even the Developers that used to make good games of other varieties have just gone to $H!t (Looking at you SquareEnix). So back to COD/Halo/Uncharted/Gears/Battlefield/Killzone we go. oh look there is a journey title yeah and back to the twitch fatigue we go. Wash Rince Repeat. With an ocassional odd Actioner or something to provide a couple of hours distraction.

I don't know. Maybe its just not enjoying Aim Shoot run Aim Shoot Run Aim Shoot Run (Sorry got into the zone there ) just would like to see some more odd titles with interesting visual style and changed up gameplay or more relaxing distraction from reality type gaming that I used to remember.

Sorry to Ramble Just thinking out loud.
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
Special Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
Maybe the younger ppl wont know what Im talking about, but to me gaming has gone downhill from a certain standpoint

Yea the Graphics are life like, and the sound in 5.1, and online play is great, But I miss the days where if you wanted to play games ( for me in the mid 90s - 2005 ish ) You would go to a friends house and play "a game" Games now are so lifelike and technical, it almost seems like work sometimes, or maybe thats just me getting old and missing the simple things.. Grabbing a case of Mountain Dew and playing Goldeneye for 10 hrs on a Saturday, playing Dreamcast Soul Caliber Tournaments, Getting 120 stars in Mario 64, Playing games til you die with no save option, or whatever you can remember.

Im not against the new generation of gaming , but it seems with social media ( Facebook, Netflix, ) and basically having your "video game console " do everything your computer does took away alot of the fun to actually have your opponent sitting right next to you.. Im 33 So I guess Im old ( or old school ) but I do Miss the time when Game consoles were all they ever were
I'm old school. I like a game that is a completely new concept, something I play that I've never played before. As in, the way the game works is fundamentally new.

Today's games are like movies -- the story changes, and the tools change, but all the supposedly best games are still me, as a guy, running around and doing stuff.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

Wow, look at all the *****y old men who came out of the woodwork to jerk each other off about "the glory days".

Save if for the obituary gramps.

[Show spoiler]
Waiting for the all female blu-ray.com reboot.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #27
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra_kalbrain View Post
i think it's just a maturity thing in conjunction with overexposure. I just don't feel the need to play games immediately these days. I have the patience to wait and enjoy at a reasonable pace. And, these days there are so many good games all coming out a the same time that picking and choosing takes some of the excitement out of it. Add to that the fact that we inherit more time consuming responsibilities as we get older and it all kind of just blends into the "fog of life."

i remember back in the 90s i would have a full month between most games that i was really excited to play. These days i seem to hear of games coming out every other week that i want to play and i just have to say "not yet." i'm sure teenagers with no responsibilities feel differently... As would i if i could just sit at home and play all day.
+1
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SCXL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Paradigm Studio Sub 15 , Anthem MRX 720,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 TB hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet.Sennheiser RS160 Earphones. Panasonic A410-32 LED TV. Sony PS4 2tb,Xbox One.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #28
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar4 View Post
Yeah, it was a bugger! I broke at least 3 controllers playing that game back in the day.

What about Tomb Raider - that one was tough for me too. Precise timing screwed me a lot. I still like the Tomb Raider series though, combination of platform, shooting, and puzzles!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar4 View Post
Battletoads still eludes me...
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Oppo UHD-203, Oppo BDP-93 & Sony UBP-X800B
PS4 Pro 1TB
Polk Monitor 50s Mains, CSI A4 Center, RTI A1s & 2 SVS PC-12s / PSN ID: Omegaice
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydrugar View Post
I am not so certain it is just nostalgia.

playing through the same level over and over to complete it and once getting through it getting that sense of accomplishment.

Vs.

Call of Duty online multiplayer (not trying to pick on COD but it is a good target) Where users will log hundreds of playthroughs on the same map sometimes win sometimes lose but always repetitive. Where is the grand sense of accomplishment the level will end again and again.
Winning. The same reason people play games like baseball. Or fighting games. Or chess.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #31
Special Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

We wouldn't be grumpy old farts if this newer stuff was satisfying. I sometimes do wish I could look at modern gaming with the same nieve lenses newer gamers have to be impressed by flashy graphics and little substance. But I still manage to find a gem now and then. I am enjoying BioShock 1 again, working my way up to infinite.

Thx
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #32
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
Wow, look at all the *****y old men who came out of the woodwork to jerk each other off about "the glory days".

Save if for the obituary gramps.

[Show spoiler]
Yikes!

Show some respect.

Most of these so called grampas are just kids, anyway.

I agree though that the sudden reemergences are a bit odd.

I like the current gen games, and I am old.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
I like the current gen games, and I am old.
Same.

I'm 38 so I'm old enough to have seen pretty much the entire video game business minus maybe the release of the original Pong home machines.

Modern games are still great if you know where to look. There's a lot more games these days, so you can and should be a lot pickier about what you spend your time and money on, but the overall quality is head and shoulders above the fare that was on offer in past generations.

Even if you're not into 12-button + sticks games that require you to play like you're an octopus (i.e. DmC, CoD, etc. ), there's still literally something out there for everyone. Heck, one of the most interesting games released in the past several years was Canabalt, a one-button game that pretty much single-handedly founded the endless runner genre eventually popularized by games like Robot Unicorn Attack and Temple Run.

I think anyone who thinks the games of today don't measure up to the "classics" is looking back with rose-tinted glasses.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #34
Special Member

Jul 2007
Planet Earth

I'm in my late 30's and I still game alot. Yes I do miss some aspects of the old school gaming but I do like the new games alot more. (minus the DLC add-ons) Take for example the game I'm playing right now. NFS: Most Wanted. I'm just loving this game and like Burnout Paradise, I love to race when I want to race and spend most of my time to rome the large city that they gave us to explore. When I want to play with people, I just hit a button and boom I'm exactly in the same spot in the city but now other players are just scattered about. That's what I love about the new games.

I do not like for example the new Sim City. I refuse to buy it because the old game allowed me to take it on a laptop without an internet connection and build a city to my liking. I refuse to by the latest game until they decide to lose the always connected scheme which I know will never happen.
Jar Jar Binks is so underatted
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #35
Special Member

Dec 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis View Post
I wasn't playing alone. I played with the other people on the server. And we could type at each other.
Not sure bout you but i mostly played Quake on heat.net and Interstate 76. I actually still have that 1st quake disc. But anyway aside from that i do like how my friends would come over or i'd go to them. I still do it when possible. Just seems a little harder to plan with work schedules and so on. For a bit had a pc that had a modem without a speaker then got a better pc which had a 56k modem with the freakin speaker on it. I felt like i was gonna wake everyone up when i'd start it up late at night after 12a lol. For sure fun times.
36" and 30" SONY WEGA 720/1080i CRTs- White PS4, 4 Games PS3-160G. PS3 Games. 52. 32 Plhttp://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/NightShark08.pngus. 3 Psn games. 35 Blus. Elite 120g 360, 7 games.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #36
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopan View Post
I do not like for example the new Sim City. I refuse to buy it because the old game allowed me to take it on a laptop without an internet connection and build a city to my liking. I refuse to by the latest game until they decide to lose the always connected scheme which I know will never happen.
In college I killed hours between classes with the original Sim City. It was a marvel to me, as were computers with mice. I still remember SHIFT-F U N D to get $1,000,000 in your city coffer. I also played a lot of Tetris and the game with the Mah Jongg tiles that isn't really Mah Jongg. I had email, but there was no such thing as internet for casual users. I missed the entire console evolution between Atari 5200 and PS3. I had no time and no money and sometimes no television. I did have my own PC starting around 1994, so I could always find pretty good discounted point and click adventure games and RPG's. You kids were spoiled.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
Maybe the younger ppl wont know what Im talking about, but to me gaming has gone downhill from a certain standpoint

Yea the Graphics are life like, and the sound in 5.1, and online play is great, But I miss the days where if you wanted to play games ( for me in the mid 90s - 2005 ish ) You would go to a friends house and play "a game" Games now are so lifelike and technical, it almost seems like work sometimes, or maybe thats just me getting old and missing the simple things.. Grabbing a case of Mountain Dew and playing Goldeneye for 10 hrs on a Saturday, playing Dreamcast Soul Caliber Tournaments, Getting 120 stars in Mario 64, Playing games til you die with no save option, or whatever you can remember.

Im not against the new generation of gaming , but it seems with social media ( Facebook, Netflix, ) and basically having your "video game console " do everything your computer does took away alot of the fun to actually have your opponent sitting right next to you.. Im 33 So I guess Im old ( or old school ) but I do Miss the time when Game consoles were all they ever were
don't miss it at all!

if I want to play the old games I will.

if all we made were those exact old games id be bored stiff now, and lets not sugar coat the past, we all have a knack of doing that. for every great game back in the day there were 20 absolute pieces of turd.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I have a buddy who still has a working NES, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and several other old school systems.

A lot of those games I loved as a kid? Awful, awful games.

The original Super Mario Brothers is horrible.

There are a few timeless classics, but there are some timeless classics today as well.

The rest is Nostalgia.

So no, I don't miss "how games used to be".
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
for every great game back in the day there were 20 absolute pieces of turd.
Not so different from today, actually.

I don't mind old games, and I still have a soft spot for many of them, but I'd play Scott Pilgrim vs. The World over any of the games it was inspired by (even River City Ransom).

I'd rather play Double Dragon Neon than any of its predecessors.

Where would we be without games like Journey, The Walking Dead (by TellTale), Minecraft, Dark Souls, or even the simplest yet most addicting things like Angry Birds or Super Hexagon?

If anyone thinks that the games of today don't measure up to even the best of the old classics, well, they're just not looking in the right places or just being closed-minded.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

If anything, I've always been floored by how far gaming technology has come.

I used to play on the Atari 2600; it has the value of the classic arcade experience, but playing through actual stories is a stretch, and the experience overall can be dry. You pretty much play for points, or to beat a simple objective, but that only goes to far. I may go back for a quick round of Pacman or something, but these days, a lot of the classics have been revamped, so I don't really miss the Atari.

As a kid, I was more into the PC games of the 90s. I loved the point-and-click games like King's Quest, Space Quest, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, etc. These games are the ones that had the greatest stories, especially since you're the one controlling the storytelling. These games lose their replay value after you beat them once or twice (or twenty times, like I did). But, they all had great experiences that felt incredibly rewarding. These are the types of games I wish they would bring back; you do see a little bit of a re-emergence from games like Heavy Rain or those Back to the Future episodes, but we seriously need more.

I do enjoy the occasional FPS; I was too young (and scared) to play Doom, but I did get a kick out of Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Strife, and other stuff. FPSes seem to be a dime-a-dozen now; I really don't care too much for the military ones anymore (they kinda run together; how many ways can you fight a war, seriously?), but I do have a soft spot for the occasional odd one out. After playing through such games as Max Payne and Bioshock Infinite, I'm actually gratified that games have come so far technically, and have allowed the more intelligent developers to create mind-blowing stories and environments. So, no, I don't miss the old FPSes. In fact, once you play a modern one, it's too hard to go backwards; it's frustrating not being able to look down your sights, or manually reload, or jump, or look up, etc.

I do like RTSes on occasion; haven't really played any recent ones, but comparing something like the original Warcraft to the modern C&C games, I think they've come a long way for the better. They can run together sometimes and become derrivative, but I still buy into them. I don't really miss the old strategy games.

I think fighting games have come a very long way, and are getting better all the time. I never got into Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter; they always seemed so simple and clunky to me. I do enjoy the Soul Calibur series, because it look better and runs smoother, and I love games like Dante's Inferno, DmC, Bayonetta, etc, which all allow you to kick some serious butt and still experience some imaginative worldbuilding and storytelling. So, I don't miss the old fighting games.

Adventure games, much like fighting games, have also come a long way. I think the new Tomb Raider is a shining testament to how strong both the quality and content of an adventure game or fighting game can be. It makes the older TR games look so outdated and shallow. I also can't help but to look at how dated and gaudy Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine now seems. So, yeah, I don't miss those.

Role playing games have been around forever, are still running strong, and haven't changed much, save for graphics, sound, controls, interface, and stuff like that. I think it's just a fundamantal setup that's hard to get wrong. If anything, better graphics and gameplay enriches the experience. Older games seem kinda clunky to me, but newer games like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XIII, Ni No Kuni, Dragon Age, all three Dungeon Siege games, etc are all favorites of mine. So, I don't miss old RPGs.

Racing games have always been fun, and are pretty hard to mess up. Newer graphics and sounds and control schemes have benefitted these games. I don't really miss old racing games.

Puzzle games are always around when you need them, and if anything, are more abundant now than ever before. Not only with the classic Solitaire or Tetris or whatnot, but Bejeweled, Angry Birds, Flower, Peggle, Catherine, and more, are all so simple, innovative, challenging, and strangely addictive. Portal 2 was a work of genius too (never did play Portal 1). If anything, I like the modern selection of small-scale puzzle games more than what we had before, so I don't miss old puzzle games that much.

When I stop to think about it, I'm a progressive gamer. I tried looking back, but it was ugly. I've dabbled with some of my older games on my laptop, but can't stand them, because they become dated, their limitations become so blaring, and the gameplay experience just doesn't compare to modern gaming. Some games just don't work anymore, but most just don't hold my interest. It takes a real diehard classic to make me want to go back decades later and replay a game, and there has been a few. But I can't help but to look at this generation, with games like Fallout 3, Skyrim, Heavy Rain, the new Tomb Raider, the three Bioshock games, and oodles more, and think that gaming is just getting better all the time.

So, in short, I do kinda miss the old point-and-click adventures, and wish there were more story-based games out there, but gaming overall has become so refined across the board that I really don't miss the old-school stuff at all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3