Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Taking of Pelham One Two T… $12.95 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$12.85
XBlaze Lost: Memories (PS3)
$18.44
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.69
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.29
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.99
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
$17.49
Ratchet & Clank Collection (PS3)
$19.99
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, The (PS3)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Middle TN
Send a message via AIM to nremdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
Wow, look at all the *****y old men who came out of the woodwork to jerk each other off about "the glory days".

Save if for the obituary gramps.

[Show spoiler]
Mr. Beautiful Emotionally Handicapped
PSN: nremdn
Battlelog: nremdn
Pigeon Boys #01
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Inside Crystal Mountain.

I definitely prefer the old ways.

I've made a couple of cool friends playing online this generation and I do enjoy the trophy system.

There was just something better about the way we used to play. The friends I have that are under 30 don't understand how I can button mash so quickly.

Track and Field.

"When you think of me, in your multidimensional mind
Try and wash the evil from your mind and open it
When you taste the truth you will see like others
Before me to you, I am past a story to tell to you
I am past a story to tell, tell it
"
~DEATH
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #43
Power Member

Nov 2007
Chicago, IL

I do miss the days when games were more about gameplay than graphics. I was an unstoppable god at MK2. I miss the days of being in a living room and playing mk2, Mario kart, NFS, sonic, hell, even excite bike and the other awesome games with my friends.

My wife and friends are always amazed at how much I remember playing old games. I recently played Super Metroid and beat it in about 2.5 hours and got like 80% of the items without even looking at a book/guide.

I think that's why I love Dark/Demons souls so much. It has some of that old school challenge too it. If there was a bit more story and the word was bigger, it would an unstoppable juggernaut.
PSN: Hellmonkey69
LBP Levels: The Abusement Park, A Stormy Night, The Fantabulous Contraption.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #44
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallima View Post
Man, Ghosts and Goblins was infuriating but I still have an NES so I get to revisit most of my fave games when I get nostalgic.

But yes, games are so much easier as a whole now.
i love ghost and goblins i remember playing it on my sega megadrive.
LG 4K OLED 55 b6v/ Sony PS4 Pro
Currently Playing Horizon Zero Dawn/ Resident Evil 7/BF1/Hellblade
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
Middle TN
Send a message via AIM to nremdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmonkey View Post
I do miss the days when games were more about gameplay than graphics. I was an unstoppable god at MK2. I miss the days of being in a living room and playing mk2, Mario kart, NFS, sonic, hell, even excite bike and the other awesome games with my friends.

My wife and friends are always amazed at how much I remember playing old games. I recently played Super Metroid and beat it in about 2.5 hours and got like 80% of the items without even looking at a book/guide.

I think that's why I love Dark/Demons souls so much. It has some of that old school challenge too it. If there was a bit more story and the word was bigger, it would an unstoppable juggernaut.
So to summarize: I am awesome. My wife and friends say I am awesome.
Mr. Beautiful Emotionally Handicapped
PSN: nremdn
Battlelog: nremdn
Pigeon Boys #01
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

I remember the old days like if it was yesterday: Standing around in the arcade thinking about which game I should blow all of my money on. After I was broke, I would often check the coin slots to see if anyone had left a quarter or token. When the SNES came out, I made fewer visits to the arcade but the gameplay at the arcade was still better IMO. When the PS3 was released, that pretty much put the dagger inside the Nose arcade business. I still see arcade games at movie theaters but I no longer have any interest in investing in them.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
didn't give you a checkpoint every two seconds
What's wrong with lots of checkpoints? I want a game that challenges me without added annoyance. To me, restrictions on saving and excessive penalties for dying don't add challenge, they add cheese. If I lose, I should get to try again from very close to the point of loss, and with most of my power/health still intact.

It's on that note that I started liking old games a whole lot more after being able to play them with save states.

There's a lot of things I like better about gaming today. Yes, some DLC should have come standard on the game disc, but with music games that isn't really feasible with hundreds of licensed songs, plus being able to stack all my songs in one place is huge plus compared to the PS1-2 era DDR games where you had to swap discs and use weaker game engines to play old favorites. I'm also a fan of high definition picture and text that's easier to read. Also like how most games are fully voiced; makes things more immersive in my view.

I agree that playing over the networks isn't the same as in-person multiplayer; I still try to play games in person with friends, but having the network there as an option is nice.

This all being said, I do think developers need to remember fun gameplay (and in the case of RPGs, storytelling) above all else, and remember that throwback style 2-D games are still fun and should still be produced.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood

Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Fanatic View Post
I remember the old days like if it was yesterday: Standing around in the arcade thinking about which game I should blow all of my money on. After I was broke, I would often check the coin slots to see if anyone had left a quarter or token. When the SNES came out, I made fewer visits to the arcade but the gameplay at the arcade was still better IMO. When the PS3 was released, that pretty much put the dagger inside the Nose arcade business. I still see arcade games at movie theaters but I no longer have any interest in investing in them.
Lol, I was lucky and owned the arcade version of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I can't tell you how much joy I felt when I went to a local arcade and whooped up on some dudes that judged me because I was female.

Establishing gender equality one fatality at a time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
What's wrong with lots of checkpoints? I want a game that challenges me without added annoyance. To me, restrictions on saving and excessive penalties for dying don't add challenge, they add cheese. If I lose, I should get to try again from very close to the point of loss, and with most of my power/health still intact.
How is it challenging you with numerous checkpoints that don't require you to successfully beat sections of a game despite a plethora of mistakes? Game play is about timing, anticipation, reflexes and strategy all of which, IMHO significantly decrease if I have a checkpoint available every other minute.

Last edited by kallima; 04-12-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: combined posts to avoid double posting
Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Biggest change is the fact I got older with more responsibilities, having children and friends did as well.

Prior to that we were playing tons of games together still in person, which is far more fun for me than playing online.

Now I play some games with my older son but he is only 7 so that limits the types of games I can play.. he is also part of the iphone generation which I don't care for.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
VA

The only things I really miss about the ancient epochs of ten and fifteen years ago is a competent Square making great Final Fantasy games and the abundance of couch co-op.
Currently Playing: Overwatch, Uncharted 4, Doom

Looking Forward to: Abzu, Titanfall 2, Horizon Zero Dawn
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #51
Special Member

Jan 2008
Texas, USA

What I miss are the good old turn-based RPGs like the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior (Quest) games. Really lost interest in Final Fantasy at #10 (never played 11 as I refuse to pay monthly fees for any game) and got maybe 1/5th of the way into 12 and just couldn't hold my interest so I gave up. FFVII will always remain my favorite. My original PSOne copy got too scratched up to play so I have a Greatest Hits collection version now as well as the PC version & a digital version I downloaded on the PS3 that works with my Vita. I still enjoy playing that game. But I still don't consider it "old school". When I think "old school" games I think of the Atari and NES. Still have a couple old Ataris but they don't work anymore. My NES still works but isn't much need for it when you have a PC or phone that can play all the old NES/SNES/Genesis ROMs.

Saw someone mentioned Contra earlier - don't forget to enter the code "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, start" (Or select, start for 2 player) at the beginning of the menu screen or you will never beat the game. Now if they just had something like that for the old Metroid I would be happy. Never beat it back in the day and it is giving me such a hard time during my lunch breaks playing it on my phone.

Anyway, yes I miss the good old days. There are a few games that still hold my interest (Defiance, Fallout, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls) but I typically spend my gaming time playing Counter-strike or Left 4 Dead with my online friends. So gaming is not dead. My biggest wish is for Square-Enix to go back to the good old days of Airships/swords/dragons/turn-based RPG and away from all the Sci-fi/guns/action RPG.

Last edited by Mouse; 04-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

"Saw someone mentioned Contra earlier - don't forget to enter the code "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, start" at the beginning of the menu screen or you will never beat the game. :P"

Friends and I have completed it without the code. Of course that is with tons of practice using the code as well. Doubt I could do it today.

How about Megaman 2 and all those insanely hard timing platform parts I must have ADHD now compared to then as I don't think I have the same level of patience/commitment to games.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #53
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terjyn View Post
I have a buddy who still has a working NES, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and several other old school systems.

A lot of those games I loved as a kid? Awful, awful games.

The original Super Mario Brothers is horrible.

There are a few timeless classics, but there are some timeless classics today as well.

The rest is Nostalgia.

So no, I don't miss "how games used to be".

I didnt ask if you missed " How games used to be" , I asking if you missed "How GAMING used to be"
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
"Saw someone mentioned Contra earlier - don't forget to enter the code "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, start" at the beginning of the menu screen or you will never beat the game. :P"

Friends and I have completed it without the code. Of course that is with tons of practice using the code as well. Doubt I could do it today.

How about Megaman 2 and all those insanely hard timing platform parts I must have ADHD now compared to then as I don't think I have the same level of patience/commitment to games.
Lol to the old school cheat code! Thank goodness for Nintendo Power
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

I don't think it's all bad.

Portal is proof that occasionally good games are still being made.

That said, I miss tile based RPG's.....Neverwinter Nights was the pinnacle of that genre. Now everything is 3D dreck.

And where in the holy hell is Half-Life 3?!?!?!?!?!?
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-85FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player

Last edited by Pondosinatra; 04-12-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #56
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
"saw someone mentioned contra earlier - don't forget to enter the code "up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, start" at the beginning of the menu screen or you will never beat the game. "

friends and i have completed it without the code. Of course that is with tons of practice using the code as well. Doubt i could do it today.

How about megaman 2 and all those insanely hard timing platform parts I must have adhd now compared to then as i don't think i have the same level of patience/commitment to games.
+1
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Another thing...quit ya *****ing, level is two hard or there is too many enemies to fight at the same time..no "patch" back in the days what made it on the cartridge is what you got...either beat it or give up

Contra, Ghost N Goblins, Castlevania just to name a few.
MOE
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
Power Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
Another thing...quit ya *****ing, level is two hard or there is too many enemies to fight at the same time..no "patch" back in the days what made it on the cartridge is what you got...either beat it or give up

Contra, Ghost N Goblins, Castlevania just to name a few.
Kid Icarus was a bugger too. I don't think you could save unless you beat the level! And who remembers that dreaded eggplant curse?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallima View Post
Kid Icarus was a bugger too. I don't think you could save unless you beat the level! And who remembers that dreaded eggplant curse?
Oh yes! I remember clearly! That games was quite the adventure. I can still hear that music in my head! Awesome game.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #60
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Dont know if you guys remember the Neo Geo console, but Magician Lord, Viewpoint and Pulstar were incredibly difficult games
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3