COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Evilspeak (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Orlando, Fl
Default Epic 3d

Took my daughter to see Jurassic Park 3D at the theater today courtesy of a couple of free codes from TMNTrent doing a big giveaway yesterday, although we enjoyed the movie, I don't think I will be making a purchase on it, as one viewing will probably be enough for me.

What I did like the look of was a preview for this http://www.epicthemovie.com/
It really looked stunning to me and kind of looked like a hybrid of Avatar and Tinkerbell with some rise of the guardians thrown in,"those were the 3 movies that came to mind whilst watching the preview"
Needless to say I am eagerly awaiting the release of this now.

If there is already a thread for this movie, then please merge or delete this.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
Took my daughter to see Jurassic Park 3D at the theater today courtesy of a couple of free codes from TMNTrent doing a big giveaway yesterday, although we enjoyed the movie, I don't think I will be making a purchase on it, as one viewing will probably be enough for me.

What I did like the look of was a preview for this http://www.epicthemovie.com/
It really looked stunning to me and kind of looked like a hybrid of Avatar and Tinkerbell with some rise of the guardians thrown in,"those were the 3 movies that came to mind whilst watching the preview"
Needless to say I am eagerly awaiting the release of this now.

If there is already a thread for this movie, then please merge or delete this.
How did you like the 3D DB5, in JP3D?
Yes, I caught Blue Sky Studio's Epic preview a few times in 3D. They did a nice job with the 3D, though there is still room to push it further for stronger 3D.

The movie Epic looks interesting, kind of a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids + Fern Gully + Avatar + a few others I can't think of at the moment". Plenty of sights for some worthwhile 3D, from an Ant's point of view. They have a big cardboard stand up in the movie theater of this movie.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Orlando, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
How did you like the 3D DB5, in JP3D?
Yes, I caught Blue Sky Studio's Epic preview a few times in 3D. They did a nice job with the 3D, though there is still room to push it further for stronger 3D.

The movie Epic looks interesting, kind of a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids + Fern Gully + Avatar + a few others I can't think of at the moment". Plenty of sights for some worthwhile 3D, from an Ant's point of view. They have a big cardboard stand up in the movie theater of this movie.
I wasn't overly impressed, a couple of times the two main characters looked like cardboard cutouts against the countryside behind them. Not being a connoisseur of 3D and only ever seeing a couple of other 3D movies in the theater, 1 being avatar, I can't really compare it to anything. I saw this in realD 3d, but I assume Imax is better.
I agree with Honey I Shrunk the Kids as well, I think it was the attention to detail also, that caught my eye in the EPIC trailer.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Okay, thanks for the reply. The main character seems nteresting in this one.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao
Just got back from seeing this in 3D.

Quite enjoyed it and the 3D layers are excellent! This'll be a day one purchase for me.

The 3D trailers were nice to see, too!

Anyone else catch this, other than going to "Hangover 3" or "F&F6"?
Mao, thanks for the info on the 3D.
Sounds good. The trailer's 3D does look promising.
How did you like the movie?
I caught a TV spot yesterday on TV, but they only highlighted the Fruit fly growing young to old in a few seconds.

(The search function on basic search isn't the best, no big deal about double threads, but figured I'd post in this one since it has more views, created first.)
Old 05-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2008
The

Saw this today with the wife.
Amazing 3D! This is gonna shine on Blu-ray.
Epic is the only word to describe the experience of seeing this in 3D!
Day 1 preorder. Reference 3D. Stunning surround sound.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #7

Jul 2009

Quote:
Mao, thanks for the info on the 3D.
Sounds good. The trailer's 3D does look promising.
How did you like the movie?
I caught a TV spot yesterday on TV, but they only highlighted the Fruit fly growing young to old in a few seconds.

(The search function on basic search isn't the best, no big deal about double threads, but figured I'd post in this one since it has more views, created first.)
LOL...found this after I posted.

I agree with Ray O. Blu!

Serviceable story, awesome nature them, some good comic relief by the slugs. \3D as good as "Rise Of The Guardians".

Completely worth a blind buy!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
I saw a 3D trailer of Epic (that was on one of my 3D blus) on my projector. It was definitely drool worthy. Can't wait to pick this one up when it comes out.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
The movie Epic looks interesting, kind of a "Honey I Shrunk the Kids + Fern Gully + Avatar + a few others I can't think of at the moment".
How about "Dinosaur" for "When the snail first talked, and brought the beautiful, soaring, dialogue-free trailer down with a discordant crash"?

Otherwise, I was thinking "Ferngully" from the trailer, and all the "Fox wants to be Disney by imitation" vibes that one suggested.
3D aside, I wasn't that crazy about Rio, as it looked like without the Ice Age/Horton guy (now cranking out Despicable Minion movies for Universal), the now hobbled BlueSky is spending its time nervousy and faithfully trying to copy everything Dreamworks does wrong, down to the last painstakingly replicated detail.
They're still making Dreamworks movies, even if Dreamworks isn't as much as it used to. I'll save this one for 3D disk.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Power Member

Jul 2007

Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 05-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

24$ for a new 3D blu-ray??

Ordered!
I hope this trend continues. New 2D blu-rays are priced at 19.99$. 3D should be no more than 21.99$.

The Croods is 34$!!
Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Philips Hue mood lighting | Nvidia 3D Vision
Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post

"That sounds....."

"EPIC."

Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
Walt Disney World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post

Ordered!

I hope this trend continues. New 2D blu-rays are priced at 19.99$. 3D should be no more than 21.99$.

The Croods is 34$!!
+1

But I like the 2D cover better though.

[Show spoiler]
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.― Mae West

Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao View Post
LOL...found this after I posted.

I agree with Ray O. Blu!

Serviceable story, awesome nature them, some good comic relief by the slugs. \3D as good as "Rise Of The Guardians".

Completely worth a blind buy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet
Quote:

Ordered!

The Croods is 34$!!
24.99 is a good deal for new release 3D blu ray. Any more than that and it can make a consumer think twice.

I think $5 extra for 3D is a fair amount for a new 3D blu ray compared to 2D.

Yes, Epic reminds me of Fern Gully and Avatar. Plenty of room for great 3D with all of the plants in the mid/back/foreground.

Years ago, I read movies would be released the same day for theaters and on home video. That doesn't make much sense to me if they want theaters to do well. Hopefully that's not where it's heading, Epic already having pre-orders ready while the movie was just released yesterday.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 05-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Years ago, I read movies would be released the same day for theaters and on home video. That doesn't make much sense to me if they want theaters to do well. Hopefully that's not where it's heading, Epic already having pre-orders ready while the movie was just released yesterday.
That used to sound so neato when we first got our VCR's...No, forget that, when we first got Pay-Per-View in the 80's.
For some reason, Hollywood is still trying to figure out how to attach a money wagon to that dream (they tried the "Same day PPV" stunt once, and would've tried it twice if "Tower Heist" hadn't been bitten in the rear for it), and The Dream Will Never Die.

Right now, the current incarnation for most studios is "Pre-order the Blu-ray BEFORE you see the movie!" (as bragging-rights hype, to announce how much marketing the movie will have, just like a really big one!), but still doesn't quite wash away the ghosts of Monsters Inc. 3D...
Everyone blamed 3D for that one, but sooner or later a regular movie's going to pay the price for it, and they'll run out of scapegoats: Unfortunately, "Waiting to rent it" is also a phrase that's been around since the days of VCR, and it's not one you want the audience to keep in mind when you're charging ten bucks + glasses.

Last edited by EricJ; 05-25-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
24.99 is a good deal for new release 3D blu ray. Any more than that and it can make a consumer think twice.

I think $5 extra for 3D is a fair amount for a new 3D blu ray compared to 2D.

Yes, Epic reminds me of Fern Gully and Avatar. Plenty of room for great 3D with all of the plants in the mid/back/foreground.

I think they want to grab a few pre-orders when the movie is still fresh on everybody's minds.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #17

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to AdulteratedJedi Send a message via MSN to AdulteratedJedi Send a message via Yahoo to AdulteratedJedi Send a message via Skype™ to AdulteratedJedi
Talking

I just watched this at the Cinema with my Wife and my Eldest Daughter, and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was a Great Story, and the 3D was..well..Epic :-) really well Done.

AJ
Need to remember to update my collection on here.....
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
That used to sound so neato when we first got our VCR's...No, forget that, when we first got Pay-Per-View in the 80's.
For some reason, Hollywood is still trying to figure out how to attach a money wagon to that dream (they tried the "Same day PPV" stunt once, and would've tried it twice if "Tower Heist" hadn't been bitten in the rear for it), and The Dream Will Never Die.

Right now, the current incarnation for most studios is "Pre-order the Blu-ray BEFORE you see the movie!" (as bragging-rights hype, to announce how much marketing the movie will have, just like a really big one!), but still doesn't quite wash away the ghosts of Monsters Inc. 3D...
Everyone blamed 3D for that one, but sooner or later a regular movie's going to pay the price for it, and they'll run out of scapegoats: Unfortunately, "Waiting to rent it" is also a phrase that's been around since the days of VCR, and it's not one you want the audience to keep in mind when you're charging ten bucks + glasses.
Good points, EricJ. Sounds like this older plan of releasing a film on same day for video and in theaters isn't the best idea. It gives those who wanted to see in theaters a reason not to, and instead just buy it if it's something they're a fan of.
Jurassic Park 3D came close to this idea, releasing the movie in theaters, and less than a month later, on blu ray 3D.

Quote:
I think they want to grab a few pre-orders when the movie is still fresh on everybody's minds.
That's true. In the store, pre orders are already available for many in theater movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdulteratedJedi View Post
I just watched this at the Cinema with my Wife and my Eldest Daughter, and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was a Great Story, and the 3D was..well..Epic :-) really well Done.

AJ
Sounds good.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #19

Jun 2013

Saw Epic 3D in the theatre last Wednesday. The scope and beauty of this animated feature makes Blue Sky's past efforts like Ice Age 3 and 4 (movies that are awesome in their own right btw) look like amateur efforts by comparison. The variety of stunning locations and sheer amount of animation going on at once is staggering. This easily has to be one of the most technically impressive animation films I've ever seen. I really enjoyed the story too. Blue Sky is an animation studio to be reckoned with.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Trailer in 3D :

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies