Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, From $3.99 »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$27.99
7 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
7 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
2 hrs ago
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
17 hrs ago
The Newsroom: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
15 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Ireland
Arrow Stalingrad - Fedor Bondarchuk

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966566/

Trailer:

Somewhat stylised trailer and inappropriate music but might be worth a watch.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

looks interesting....ill wait for reviews
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

Jude Law as Vasily Zaitsev will need to make a cameo.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

ALWAYS nice to see realistic German armor mockups in WWII films.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

If Zack Snyder directed a WWII movie, that's probably what it would look like.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
If Zack Snyder directed a WWII movie, that's probably what it would look like.

LOL

Yea, I was thinking that also. I sure hope they turn that color grade down for the final product.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

I really hope the actual film isn't that stylized. It would be a horrible fit for a WWII film.
Buffalo Bills 5-5
Miami Hurricanes (Football) 6-5
Miami Hurricanes (Basketball) 4-0
Indiana Pacers 5-8
Buffalo Sabres 6-13-2
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Expert Member

Oct 2008
United Kingdom

This was a great film, hopefully with UK and US cinema releases around the corner, there'll be an English friendly Blu
Pre-Ordered: Bond 50 | The Artist | The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn
Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #9

Oct 2012
Mexico City

I saw the 3D version of this a few weeks ago. The film is good, nothing special, it does have a Zack Snyder-ish feel to it but it's enjoyable.

However... this film looks insanely good with a very pretty set and costume design and the 3D is fantastic.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2013
South Carolina

Looking forward to this.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJuan77 View Post
I saw the 3D version of this a few weeks ago. The film is good, nothing special, it does have a Zack Snyder-ish feel to it but it's enjoyable.

However... this film looks insanely good with a very pretty set and costume design and the 3D is fantastic.
What about the characters and the performances? I love a good war movie, but it's easy to just chuck in bombs and fights, and forget about characters emotions and the turmoil they go through in battle.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

This could be an incredible film, but the trailer looks like an ad for a video game. Looks like the whole thing is CGI....I really hope it has a more life-like appearance when projected.
"All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl" - JLG

Last edited by oildude; 02-09-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I was shocked to see that my local AMC got this for their IMAX DMR theater, and I'm sure it had to do with the double whammy IMAX 3D surcharge, but I went to see it anyway, before Noon, for the cheapest ticket.

The film could only have been made in Russia. There is a very operatic feel to it (though I'm sure some of that was due to the almost deafening volume in the IMAX DMR theater), and I kind of want to say it feels like a poor man's Saving Private Ryan, if the titular character were a young girl instead of a young soldier.

Initially, I was really only impressed by the film's visuals, some of which are quite impressive, but in the days since I have seen it, this little film appears to have grown on me somehow. The story is rather straightforward, and the performances seem to have a sort of theatricality to them, almost like the Hollywood films of yesteryear. I don't know if the warm and fuzzy feelings will remain on a second viewing, but at least for now, this is a film I will want to pick up on Blu-ray 3D when Sony issues it.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

Probably not a good time to release a movie celebrating Russia.

Although they did pretty much win wwii .
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Walking WIth Dinosaurs UV/Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/
Want:BadAss 2 UV/ Great Expectations UV/ Far and away uv
Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Is it subtitled or dubbed? I was thinking of seeing this at my IMAX theater, but I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to read subtitles across a giant IMAX screen.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!

Don't use your UV/digital copy codes? Send them my way! I'll give them a good home!
:)
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #16
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
Is it subtitled or dubbed? I was thinking of seeing this at my IMAX theater, but I can't even imagine what it would be like trying to read subtitles across a giant IMAX screen.
It is completely subtitled, however, I had no problems reading the subtitles, which I was surprised at, because this was in 3D.

One minor issue is that the opening titles are in Russian and not subtitled...so unless you can read Cyrillic, you have to wait for the subtitled end titles to understand each credit.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Looks like a b-grade mix of Snyder's style and Guy Ritchies's slo-mo shots. Did they capture the gigantic scope of the almost 6-month long battle well or not?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #18
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
I was shocked to see that my local AMC got this for their IMAX DMR theater, and I'm sure it had to do with the double whammy IMAX 3D surcharge, but I went to see it anyway, before Noon, for the cheapest ticket.

The film could only have been made in Russia. There is a very operatic feel to it (though I'm sure some of that was due to the almost deafening volume in the IMAX DMR theater), and I kind of want to say it feels like a poor man's Saving Private Ryan, if the titular character were a young girl instead of a young soldier.

Initially, I was really only impressed by the film's visuals, some of which are quite impressive, but in the days since I have seen it, this little film appears to have grown on me somehow. The story is rather straightforward, and the performances seem to have a sort of theatricality to them, almost like the Hollywood films of yesteryear. I don't know if the warm and fuzzy feelings will remain on a second viewing, but at least for now, this is a film I will want to pick up on Blu-ray 3D when Sony issues it.
This movie helped IMAX achieve record profits last year.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/gra...er-1201114477/
Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #19

Mar 2012

"Stalingrad" (2013) got mixed reviews even in Russia where it topped the 2013 box office -- and I can see why but overall its quite a good film. I was rather taken aback that the theater was *empty* when we walked in. So, we got great seats. Only one other person came in to see the film. I told him the good seats were taken. He got a chuckle out of that that.

Great acting and character development, cinematography and film score -- top notch production values front to back. The film strikes a balance between war itself and the people who live through it. The story was very good but could use some judicious alterations (the end cap scenes appear unnecessarily set in a Japanese disaster area) and bolstering of historical background. Still. Its a very good film that falls short of greatness but deserves a wider release. It's very well done. However, judging by last nights box office numbers, thats not going to happen. Too bad.

Throughout the film, subtitles were easy to read. The closing credits lack subtitles, all in Russian. Well, a few English words appeared now and then unit, Columbia Pictures, etc but it was 99.99999% Cyrillic.

Personally, I won't hesitate to buy the Blu-ray when it's released. I hope it includes a factual documentary on the battle as a whole.

I did a little reading before seeing the film to get some historical perspective. The Wikipedia page is very informative. And, of course, its not good news. The Battle of Stalingrad was *devastating* for both the Germans and the Russians. The ultimate Russian victory was a major turning point in the Great Patriotic War --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_stalingrad

The film does not encompass the whole war just a few days out of the grueling six month ordeal which reduced the city to rubble and left for dead upwards of over 1.5M people -- horrid thought. The bulk of the film is set in one square of the city and in one house which is based on real people in a harrowing situation --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov%27s_House

Here is a page about the film itself --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_%282013_film%29

"Stalingrad" is a good war film though perhaps not a good film about the actual battle. For that, perhaps the 1993 German production of the same title comes closer. Still, this is a good film that, critics aside, deserves to be seen -- and see it in IMAX 3D!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #20

Apr 2011

I thought this movie was pretty bad. While there are some nice looking shots mixed in, I thought the narrative was incredibly weak.

We never get to really know any of the characters, and the only exposition on them is really just a quick backstory given for each at various points via voiceover. I think the story takes place over about 2 days, but it's never really clear. That guess is taken by one line late in the film. These characters supposedly formed strong bonds and cared about each other, but we are simply told this, and there is nothing on screen that really shows this development at all. There is no reason for the audience to give a crap about these people at all. Actually, the characters who have the most development, are the antagonist German, and the Russian girl he "loves" and basically forces to have sex with him. It's just not a well constructed story in any way shape or form.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies