Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Ninth Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Get Out (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.39
The Expanse: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$20.49
Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
A Monster Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
A Dog's Purpose (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fences (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$28.19
xXx: Return of Xander Cage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Arrow List of 4K+ Masters for Digitally Shot Films

This list will consist of worldwide BDs that contain a digitally shot movie that was mastered in 4K or higher. If the title uses a master greater than 4K it will be noted. Titles shot entirely on film will not be included in this list. Please add suggestions to this thread.

#s



A



B



C



D



E



F



G



H



I



J



K



L



M



N



O



P



Q



R



S



T



U



V



W



X



Y



Z


Last edited by HD Goofnut; Yesterday at 03:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Grim Reaper (07-04-2014), L'armée des ombres (07-23-2015), Pieter V (02-07-2015)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Reserved
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Reserved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Reserved..
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
42041 42041 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Oct 2008
Default

Battle Los Angeles was mainly shot on 35mm I think...
Skyfall had a 4K DI, though it was shot on the 2.8K Arri Alexa.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
Battle Los Angeles was mainly shot on 35mm I think...
Skyfall had a 4K DI, though it was shot on the 2.8K Arri Alexa.
I double checked B: LA and you're right. Skyfall has been added.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
42041 42041 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Oct 2008
Default

Unfortunately your list is probably very close to complete... not many of these digitally shot movies get 4K finishes.

If we're counting movies that have yet to come out, I believe After Earth will be the first 4K DI made with Sony's new 4K camera.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
Unfortunately your list is probably very close to complete... not many of these digitally shot movies get 4K finishes.

If we're counting movies that have yet to come out, I believe After Earth will be the first 4K DI made with Sony's new 4K camera.
Yeah, I have discovered in my research that virtually every film shot digitally in 4K or even 5K gets a 2K DI. It doesn't make much sense IMHO. I wonder how much money a studio saves by scanning a digitally shot film at 2K instead of its native resolution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
L'armée des ombres L'armée des ombres is offline
Contributor
 
L'armée des ombres's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away
6
1045
151
12
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, I have discovered in my research that virtually every film shot digitally in 4K or even 5K gets a 2K DI. It doesn't make much sense IMHO. I wonder how much money a studio saves by scanning a digitally shot film at 2K instead of its native resolution.
Good luck with the list
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Deciazulado Deciazulado is offline
Site Manager
 
Deciazulado's Avatar
 
Aug 2006
USiberia
6
2608
2802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, I have discovered in my research that virtually every film shot digitally in 4K or even 5K gets a 2K DI. It doesn't make much sense IMHO. I wonder how much money a studio saves by scanning a digitally shot film at 2K instead of its native resolution.
well a few years ago the 4K workflow pipeline was very narrow but 2K you could do with stock components sold in computer stores, 2K monitors, etc. Since pros work with uncompressed files, the bandwidth/processing/storage requirements 4x or more
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Thanks for the info. I have also added Amour.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Does anyone know if the initial release of Total Recall was done with the a 4K master?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
This list will consist of BDs that contain a digitally shot movie that was mastered in 4K or higher. If the title uses a master greater than 4K it will be noted. Titles shot on film will not be included in this list. Please add suggestions to this thread.

Amazing Spider-Man, The
Amour (Region B locked)
Che
District 9
District 9 (Collector's Set)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (3D Release)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Best Buy)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Best Buy Steelbook)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Wal-Mart)
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The (2011)
Girlfriend Experience, The
Holy Motors
Magic Mike
Side Effects
Skyfall
Skyfall (Daniel Craig Collection)
Skyfall (FoxConnect)
Skyfall (Wal-Mart)
That's My Boy
To the Wonder
Total Recall (2012)
Lest us not forget to pay homage to where 4K digital acquisition device Originated from (no, not RED), ergo, add…

Reach for Me (2008)
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
seabterry seabterry is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
seabterry's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Columbus, OH
578
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Does anyone know if the initial release of Total Recall was done with the a 4K master?
The initial release transfer was NOT based on the 4K master.
Lucky #400: Terminator: Genisys (Steelbook)
Lucky #500: Labyrinth 30th Anniversary DigiBook
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Impossible Impossible is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Mar 2010
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
This list will consist of BDs that contain a digitally shot movie that was mastered in 4K or higher. If the title uses a master greater than 4K it will be noted. Titles shot on film will not be included in this list. Please add suggestions to this thread.

Amazing Spider-Man, The
Amour (Region B locked)
Che
District 9
District 9 (Collector's Set)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (3D Release)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Best Buy)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Best Buy Steelbook)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Wal-Mart)
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The (2011)
Girlfriend Experience, The
Holy Motors
Magic Mike
Side Effects
Skyfall
Skyfall (Daniel Craig Collection)
Skyfall (FoxConnect)
Skyfall (Wal-Mart)
That's My Boy
To the Wonder
Total Recall (2012)
Nothing good then
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible View Post
Nothing good then
In your opinion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
67
1323
98
505
133
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Lest us not forget to pay homage to where 4K digital acquisition device Originated from (no, not RED), ergo, add…

Reach for Me (2008)
Done.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
L'armée des ombres L'armée des ombres is offline
Contributor
 
L'armée des ombres's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
In a Galaxy far far away
6
1045
151
12
21
Default

You could add: Men in Black 3, The Green Hornet, April Showers (2009)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
42041 42041 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Oct 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'armée des ombres View Post
You could add: Men in Black 3, The Green Hornet, April Showers (2009)
Don't know about April Showers but pretty sure the first two are primarily 35mm acquisition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
nagysaudio nagysaudio is offline
Banned
 
Aug 2011
274
1
8
Default

Some of these movies have been up converted to 4K after being shot at 2K, or so and special effects rendered at 2K, or so. They should be taken off of the list, because lets be real, what good are they? An ugly movie made uglier by the Alexa is a super ugly movie.

Total Recall was 2K.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.