COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
kristoffer kristoffer is online now
Power Member
 
kristoffer's Avatar
 
May 2010
Denmark
Default Playstation 4 as a BD player.

I wonder how much of an improvement the PS4 will be compared to my PS3 slim. I kinda of hope it will have IR but I think that's a bit of a long shot.
Also the new 8x drive should mean better speeds.[
Hands off the compression button, Music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Lyris Lyris is offline
Senior Member
 
Aug 2007
1
Default

In terms of picture and sound quality, there should be no change at all, because the PS3 already perfectly reproduces what's on the disc.

They could add improvements in the areas of 4K upscaling, chroma resolution refinement, tone jump smoothing (for discs that have it) and usability, though. If the PS3 is anything to go by, the PS4 should be a fantastic player.
The opinions above are my own and not those of my employers or clients.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
kristoffer kristoffer is online now
Power Member
 
kristoffer's Avatar
 
May 2010
Denmark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
In terms of picture and sound quality, there should be no change at all, because the PS3 already perfectly reproduces what's on the disc.

They could add improvements in the areas of 4K upscaling, chroma resolution refinement, tone jump smoothing (for discs that have it) and usability, though. If the PS3 is anything to go by, the PS4 should be a fantastic player.
What is tone jump smoothing?
Hands off the compression button, Music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
mike568 mike568 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2012
171
26
Default

Why do u need the PS4 to have an IR reciever when it probably allow you to control it from your tv if it hooked up to a tv that allows for Hdmi control? The PS3 slim and super slim allow it if you enable it settings on the PS3 and the tv.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Lyris Lyris is offline
Senior Member
 
Aug 2007
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
What is tone jump smoothing?
An algorithm which detects stair-stepping/contouring/tone jumps, like this:


and smooths them over. Normally that should be taken care of during compression with dithering, but that's not always the case. Tone jumps result from a comparatively crude method of downconverting 10-bit (or higher) masters to 8-bit.
The opinions above are my own and not those of my employers or clients.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
kristoffer kristoffer is online now
Power Member
 
kristoffer's Avatar
 
May 2010
Denmark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
An algorithm which detects stair-stepping/contouring/tone jumps, like this:


and smooths them over. Normally that should be taken care of during compression with dithering, but that's not always the case. Tone jumps result from a comparatively crude method of downconverting 10-bit (or higher) masters to 8-bit.
A what discs support it?
Hands off the compression button, Music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
kristoffer kristoffer is online now
Power Member
 
kristoffer's Avatar
 
May 2010
Denmark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike568 View Post
Why do u need the PS4 to have an IR reciever when it probably allow you to control it from your tv if it hooked up to a tv that allows for Hdmi control? The PS3 slim and super slim allow it if you enable it settings on the PS3 and the tv.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I know but my current sony tvs remote is crap for that. For example I can't use it to pause a disc.
Hands off the compression button, Music industry!
Hands off the DNR button, Blu-Ray producers!
Films are supposed to have grain!

https://twitter.com/Kristofferabild
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:25 PM.