Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The LEGO Ninjago Movie (Blu-ray)
€13.90
The Fury (Blu-ray)
€8.73
Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
€22.98
The Lost City of Z (Blu-ray)
€12.04
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
€12.50
The Man with the Iron Heart (Blu-ray)
€12.07
It Comes at Night (Blu-ray)
€12.55
Bernie (Blu-ray)
€8.99
Wind River (Blu-ray)
€22.89
The Blacklist: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
€15.98
LA LONGUE NUIT DE L'EXORCISME (Blu-ray)
€22.89
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
€14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
France The Complete Eric Rohmer

On November 5th, Potemkine are releasing a dual-format box set of Eric Rohmer's entire oeuvre. It will contain:

• A total of 24 feature films and 9 short films (including two that haven't been released before). All feature films and the short film La Carrière de Suzanne will have optional English subtitles.

• Dozens of hours worth of bonus features

• A total of 30 DVDs along with Blu-Ray versions for the 22 films that have been restored in HD

• A 100 page booklet (presumably in French)

• A lucky bag (I have no idea what this is!)

I'm not sure which two films won't be in HD.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

A few extra bits here:

NEWS
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11571

Pro-B
Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Nov 2008
Central, PA

WOW!! This is the release of the year! I was expecting maybe one group of films and not Rohmer's entire filmography!
KOROVA THEATRE
  • JVC DLA-RS10 High-Definition Projector; Craig Rounds calibration
  • Draper 106 inch Onyx Screen, 1.0 Gain w/Veltex Frame
  • Lumagen Radiance XD Video Processor
  • Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player; modified region/code free
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex DeLarge View Post
WOW!! This is the release of the year! I was expecting maybe one group of films and not Rohmer's entire filmography!
Me too! I was waiting for years to see Rohmer coming to blu-ray and I was never expecting so many films at once! I'm truly excited for this release. It's very expensive though so I may wait for news on individual releases or start with the "Contes Des Quatres Saisons" set and wait for a price drop on the others!

I agree though, this is the release of the year, and it has some beautiful art! I hope that we'll get a significant increase on picture/sound quality from the Criterion release and not just a minor upgrade.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Amazing news! Especially the fact that optional English subtitles will be included - unusual for French BD releases.

Pro-B, do you have any info on which of the films has not been re-mastered in HD? I'm wondering whether these might be films that were originally shot in SD video, as there seems no other reason why they should not have been re-mastered in HD.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 08-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

Feb 2011
UK

This release will be amazing! There's a trailer on Youtube for the Japanese releases of Tales Of The Four Seasons and they look great! If anyone wants Rohmer's complete filmography then I would suggest buying the complete boxset though, as the three smaller boxsets won't include a number of films, and at this point in time it seems like those films will only be available in the complete boxset. There's no boxset for the odds and ends. So be warned!

Also in regards to the non-HD films, they're clearly not any of the films in those 3 smaller boxsets, so I'll speculate and say the non-HD films are possibly 'The Tree, The Mayor And The Mediatheque' and 'Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle'. I'll e-mail Potemkine and see if I can find out for sure though.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #7

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA View Post
There's a trailer on Youtube for the Japanese releases of Tales Of The Four Seasons and they look great!
Can you please provide a link for that? Would like to see it.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #8

Feb 2011
UK

Here you go: http://www.eiganokuni.com/dvd/rohmer/index.html. Make sure you change the video rate to 720p or higher.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #9

Oct 2009

Quote:
Here you go: http://www.eiganokuni.com/dvd/rohmer/index.html. Make sure you change the video rate to 720p or higher.
Thank you very much! This makes me more excited for the upcoming release. I don't know if they will be using the same masters as the Japanese version but even so I'm glad that Conte d'ete (which is my favorite) looks great.

Don't know what happened with Conte d'hiver though; from the trailer it looks like it was shot on 16mm which it didn't (as far as I know). It's too grainy and soft compared to the other 3 films.

But anyway, thanks again friend!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #10

Nov 2008
Central, PA

Thanks for the link!

I just checked the pre-order price with euro to US dollar conversion and it's approximately $265 which isn't a bad price for 22 BDs and a whole bunch of extra content.
KOROVA THEATRE
  • JVC DLA-RS10 High-Definition Projector; Craig Rounds calibration
  • Draper 106 inch Onyx Screen, 1.0 Gain w/Veltex Frame
  • Lumagen Radiance XD Video Processor
  • Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player; modified region/code free
Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-

I can't believe a release like this is happening. It might be a while before I go for it, but I'm incredibly excited for this.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
Special Member

Dec 2009
United States

Me, too.

No idea where I'm going to find that kind of money... but I will!

I'm so incredibly happy the films will have English subs!

THANK YOU POTEMKINE!

P.S. - I have a multi-region blu-ray player, but it would be nice if this was all-region. Anyone know?

Last edited by PGW; 08-05-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #13

Jan 2012

Quote:
Also in regards to the non-HD films, they're clearly not any of the films in those 3 smaller boxsets, so I'll speculate and say the non-HD films are possibly 'The Tree, The Mayor And The Mediatheque' and 'Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle'. I'll e-mail Potemkine and see if I can find out for sure though.
Potemkine answered me that the films not in HD are the last three films: L'Anglaise et le Duc ; Triple Agent ; Les Amours d'Astrée et de Céladon.

I had originally assumed it was only 2 features not in HD, but I think they consider the Bakery Girl one of the 22 HD films.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Feb 2011
UK

'Triple Agent' not being on blu-ray in this boxset is surprising given that it has a Japanese blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Triple...Blu-ray/53809/
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot! View Post
Potemkine answered me that the films not in HD are the last three films: L'Anglaise et le Duc ; Triple Agent ; Les Amours d'Astrée et de Céladon.

I had originally assumed it was only 2 features not in HD, but I think they consider the Bakery Girl one of the 22 HD films.
Hmmm... In that case, I think I might save some money and order just the three smaller boxes containing the better known cycles.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #16

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
Hmmm... In that case, I think I might save some money and order just the three smaller boxes containing the better known cycles.
You'd be missing out on an additional 6 films in HD. If you were interested in only one of the smaller boxes, I would say that's a better value, but if you're going to buy all three, you may as well commit fully, I says.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #17

Nov 2013

Anyone know if this will be region locked?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2009
United States

Damn. It's been bumped again until Nov. 27th.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #19

Jan 2012

This is actually currently shipping from the Potemkine shop and available in their physical store in Paris, if you wish to order today. Reviews are starting to trickle in. Hopefully more will be known soon.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #20

Oct 2010

One reviewer from Amazon France stated that 8 films from the collection have been encoded in 1080i/50. Could someone verify this.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France