COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Uta no Prince-sama 2000%: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$23.24
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Pelican170 Pelican170 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pelican170's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager
276
194
2
Default ISF Calibration

Hey guys,

I was curious if anyone could tell me what the normal $ range is for this? I was quoted $450 for a Calibration and that just seems super high to me...
______________________________
Panasonic Vierra TH-50PZ800U
Sharp LC-70LE857U
PS3 320 GB Slim
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Revolver517 Revolver517 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Revolver517's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Michigan
64
428
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
Hey guys,

I was curious if anyone could tell me what the normal $ range is for this? I was quoted $450 for a Calibration and that just seems super high to me...
Hey Pelican, the going rates are normally $300-500. Pricing varies from calibrator to calibrator, experience, and equipment used! How close is the calibrator to you? Are they ISF/and or THX certified? What are you getting done projection or HDTV?

Here's some links!!!
http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php
http://www.thx.com/professional/home-theater-installer/

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Revolver517; 08-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
BluRoo98 BluRoo98 is offline
Special Member
 
BluRoo98's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Tampa- FL
12
522
180
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver517 View Post
Hey Pelican, the going rates are normally $300-500. Pricing varies from calibrator to calibrator, experience, and equipment used! How close is the calibrator to you? Are they ISF/and or THX certified? What are you getting done projection or HDTV?

Here's some links!!!
http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php
http://www.thx.com/professional/home-theater-installer/

Hope this helps!
Yup these prices are correct. So far the BEST I have seen (from reports and graphs) is ChadB and he is around $500. He does incredible work. But if you have a 3D TV he will do daytime, nighttime, and 3D calibration so you really get a lot for $500.
BenQ W1070 3D (*NEW* Theater room)
Elite 120" CineGrey 5D fixed framed screen
Sony BDP-S790 3D
Panasonic PDP TC-P60ST60 3D (living room)
Sony BDP-S590 3D
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (bedroom)
Sony BDP-S2100
Samsung T260HD 26" (den)/Magnavox NB500MG1F
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Revolver517 Revolver517 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Revolver517's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Michigan
64
428
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd2blu View Post
yup these prices are correct. So far the best i have seen (from reports and graphs) is chadb and he is around $500. He does incredible work. But if you have a 3d tv he will do daytime, nighttime, and 3d calibration so you really get a lot for $500.
+1
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Flatnate Flatnate is online now
Special Member
 
Flatnate's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Minnesota
7
149
Default

I never know where to look for great calibrators near me!

Let's face it I'm not paying GeekSquad to do it. I would probably buy a Spectracal CalMan bundle myself and start reading before that.

I even help out with a locally owned A/V installer/store on occasion and we actually don't have anyone on staff doing full ISF calibrations. Where is ChadB out of? If someone has links to really solid independent guys feel free to post them!

Quick edit:

Thanks for the links Revolver. The trick is knowing which installers on that ISF list are really worth their salt. GeekSquad comes up near me and the one other shop in town but.... I know those guys I'm not sure I'd send $300 bucks on them. Word of mouth can go a long way with this stuff.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

Last edited by Flatnate; 08-14-2013 at 04:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Revolver517 Revolver517 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Revolver517's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Michigan
64
428
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
I never know where to look for great calibrators near me!

Let's face it I'm not paying GeekSquad to do it. I would probably buy a Spectracal CalMan bundle myself and start reading before that.

I even help out with a locally owned A/V installer/store on occasion and we actually don't have anyone on staff doing full ISF calibrations. Where is ChadB out of? If someone has links to really solid independent guys feel free to post them!

Quick edit:

Thanks for the links Revolver. The trick is knowing which installers on that ISF list are really worth their salt. GeekSquad comes up near me and the one other shop in town but.... I know those guys I'm not sure I'd send $300 bucks on them. Word of mouth can go a long way with this stuff.
I hear ya take your time and read up on the calibrators in your area. See if anyone has had positive experiences with a particular calibrator. Most people tend to go with the more well known touring calibrators like ChadB, Dnice, and others. I would get on the forums as well as checking there particular sites!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
ZIPPO ZIPPO is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
ZIPPO's Avatar
 
May 2008
Columbus, Ohio
148
472
3
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post
Yup these prices are correct. So far the BEST I have seen (from reports and graphs) is ChadB and he is around $500. He does incredible work. But if you have a 3D TV he will do daytime, nighttime, and 3D calibration so you really get a lot for $500.
+2!
He did both of mine, but back then it was only $350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
I never know where to look for great calibrators near me!

Let's face it I'm not paying GeekSquad to do it. I would probably buy a Spectracal CalMan bundle myself and start reading before that.

I even help out with a locally owned A/V installer/store on occasion and we actually don't have anyone on staff doing full ISF calibrations. Where is ChadB out of? If someone has links to really solid independent guys feel free to post them!

Quick edit:

Thanks for the links Revolver. The trick is knowing which installers on that ISF list are really worth their salt. GeekSquad comes up near me and the one other shop in town but.... I know those guys I'm not sure I'd send $300 bucks on them. Word of mouth can go a long way with this stuff.
ChadB lives in the Dayton, Ohio area. He travels to other states for calibrations too.
http://hdtvbychadb.com/
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS



"What is dead may never die..."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Flatnate Flatnate is online now
Special Member
 
Flatnate's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Minnesota
7
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
ChadB lives in the Dayton, Ohio area. He travels to other states for calibrations too.
http://hdtvbychadb.com/
+1 Thanks guys.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Revolver517 Revolver517 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Revolver517's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Michigan
64
428
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
+1 Thanks guys.
No problem Flatnate good luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Pelican170 Pelican170 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pelican170's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager
276
194
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver517 View Post
Hey Pelican, the going rates are normally $300-500. Pricing varies from calibrator to calibrator, experience, and equipment used! How close is the calibrator to you? Are they ISF/and or THX certified? What are you getting done projection or HDTV?

Here's some links!!!
http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php
http://www.thx.com/professional/home-theater-installer/

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info! As well as the rest of you. This guy is seems very professional and even told me that you get what you pay for. He uses some super expensive equipment and has been doing it for a long time. He offered to do my audio as well for $100 more as a bonus. He is ISF Certified and it is mainly for a new HDTV that I will be receiving next week.

I thought they were usually around the $250 mark but glad to see this is not necessarily the case...
______________________________
Panasonic Vierra TH-50PZ800U
Sharp LC-70LE857U
PS3 320 GB Slim
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Pelican170 Pelican170 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pelican170's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager
276
194
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver517 View Post
I hear ya take your time and read up on the calibrators in your area. See if anyone has had positive experiences with a particular calibrator. Most people tend to go with the more well known touring calibrators like ChadB, Dnice, and others. I would get on the forums as well as checking there particular sites!
The person I will be using is a touring one as well. His name is Jeff Meier and he is with Accucal. I questioned his pricing and he gave me this:

"You will find you get what you pay for in my case. If you look
>>>>>>> at my gear and reputation it is very high end. The difference
>>>>>>> in results is not subtle. Here is a quote from a client of mine
>>>>>>> who is a cinematographer for IMAX in California where there are
>>>>>>> many competitors. Peter Chang - "I've had calibrations done on
>>>>>>> numerous displays in the past, but Jeff's work is singular". I
>>>>>>> would have spent about 3 hours on your video using a $24,000
>>>>>>> spectrophotometer and custom tools that work. I am a real
>>>>>>> engineer with decades of experience and proprietary tools. Be
>>>>>>> very careful in this biz with who
>>>> you hire most are a joke.

I accepted his offer after, haha.
______________________________
Panasonic Vierra TH-50PZ800U
Sharp LC-70LE857U
PS3 320 GB Slim
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Mr.Terry Mr.Terry is offline
Active Member
 
Mr.Terry's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Lindsay Ontario Canada
10
876
340
7
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver517 View Post
Hey Pelican, the going rates are normally $300-500. Pricing varies from calibrator to calibrator, experience, and equipment used! How close is the calibrator to you? Are they ISF/and or THX certified? What are you getting done projection or HDTV?

Here's some links!!!
http://www.imagingscience.com/dealers.php
http://www.thx.com/professional/home-theater-installer/

Hope this helps!
I have been wanting to find a calibrator in my area and have been unable until you posted those links.Found a couple very close to me and will be doing a followup for getting my Panny and my audio calibrated,as soon as I get some extra cash,seems I've been spending too much on Blu's and run low on coin.Many thanks
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Smart VIERA 3D HD Plasma,
Blu-ray Player:Panasonic DMP-BDT500,
Receiver:Pioneer Elite CS-57,
Front Speakers:Paradigm Studio 20,Rear:Paradigm Millenia ADP,Center:Paradigm CC 300,Sub:Paradigm Series 7 Sub 10,
Bell HD Satellite Desk top Receiver/PVR,
Remote:Harmony 650
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
The Passenger The Passenger is offline
Active Member
 
The Passenger's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
Ontario, Canada
4
19
Default ISF Calibration

defiantly have this done! man, very glad I did... what a different it made. WOW!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=257
HDTV - Sony Bravia 65" 1080p 240Hz 3D LED Smart TV XBR65HX950 (calibrated)
Bluray Player - Sony 3D BDP-S590
Receiver - Pioneer Elite 9.2 SC-77
Cable Box - NETBOX 3.0 HD PVR 1TB
Remote - Sony Xperia Tablet SGPT121CAS
Fronts - Sound Dynamics RTS-11, Center - Sound Dynamics CS-5000, Rear - Sound Dynamics RTS-5,
Subwoofer -Sound Dynamics 15" downfiring RTS1500
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Revolver517 Revolver517 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Revolver517's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Michigan
64
428
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
The person I will be using is a touring one as well. His name is Jeff Meier and he is with Accucal. I questioned his pricing and he gave me this:

"You will find you get what you pay for in my case. If you look
>>>>>>> at my gear and reputation it is very high end. The difference
>>>>>>> in results is not subtle. Here is a quote from a client of mine
>>>>>>> who is a cinematographer for IMAX in California where there are
>>>>>>> many competitors. Peter Chang - "I've had calibrations done on
>>>>>>> numerous displays in the past, but Jeff's work is singular". I
>>>>>>> would have spent about 3 hours on your video using a $24,000
>>>>>>> spectrophotometer and custom tools that work. I am a real
>>>>>>> engineer with decades of experience and proprietary tools. Be
>>>>>>> very careful in this biz with who
>>>> you hire most are a joke.

I accepted his offer after, haha.
Pelican your in good hands Jeff Meier is highly regarded for both video and audio calibrations! I haven't dealt with him personally, but from what I've heard and read on many forums that Jeff knows his stuff!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
Pelican170 Pelican170 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pelican170's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager
276
194
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver517 View Post
Pelican your in good hands Jeff Meier is highly regarded for both video and audio calibrations! I haven't dealt with him personally, but from what I've heard and read on many forums that Jeff knows his stuff!
Great to hear!!
______________________________
Panasonic Vierra TH-50PZ800U
Sharp LC-70LE857U
PS3 320 GB Slim
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Revolver517 Revolver517 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Revolver517's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Michigan
64
428
83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Terry View Post
I have been wanting to find a calibrator in my area and have been unable until you posted those links.Found a couple very close to me and will be doing a followup for getting my Panny and my audio calibrated,as soon as I get some extra cash,seems I've been spending too much on Blu's and run low on coin.Many thanks
No problem Mr. Terry just passing information along! I figured Pelican isn't the only one out there in need of a calibration. Once you have your calibration done you can enjoy blu-rays the way it's meant to be seen. You won't be disappointed with the PQ!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 AM.