COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
House of Bodies (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Last Unicorn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Minas Tirith
Thumbs up 'The Hobbit' Blu-ray exclusive? MGM in the game

Quote:
The gem is the James Bond series. Sony will distribute the 22nd Bond film that begins production in January with Marc Forster directing a Paul Haggis script, but MGM takes back distribution after that, and Daniel Craig is locked into a deal for the first three of those films. Studio is also counting on distributing two installments of "The Hobbit," with hopes that a thaw between director Peter Jackson and New Line over "The Lord of the Rings" will return that helmer back to Middle-earth. Also on the docket is a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair," and MGM is still waging a court claim for a stake in "Terminator Salvation."
source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ery=the+hobbit
"Without Blu-ray, your HDTV is just a TV."
Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2007
Houston, TX

Well that would seem to be a ways off, since they will need to first agree to make the movie, than make it, then screen it in theaters, and then release the DVD and maybe Blu-ray...

but I'm all for it!
I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Minas Tirith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
Well that would seem to be a ways off, since they will need to first agree to make the movie, than make it, then screen it in theaters, and then release the DVD and maybe Blu-ray...

but I'm all for it!
indeed, but it would be awesome, since the hobbit will be for sure an awesome blockbuster, i think it will pass the 1billion$ mark at the boxoffice.
"Without Blu-ray, your HDTV is just a TV."
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

May 2007

by then, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will probably be obsolete... I can just see it... Toshiba with Utra HD-DVD and Sony's Hyper-Blu-Ray... why watch 1080P? Watch it in 4032P!! Better than Toshiba's 4032i....

Old 11-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon s View Post
by then, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will probably be obsolete... I can just see it... Toshiba with Utra HD-DVD and Sony's Hyper-Blu-Ray... why watch 1080P? Watch it in 4032P!! Better than Toshiba's 4032i....

Bite your tongue I am not about to replace my current collection for at least 10 years.
Blu-Blood Suicidegirl
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD (Living Room)
Panasonic DMP-BD10 (Bedroom)
PS3 60g (Game Room) Christmas Addition :D
HD DVD - Never got into that bad habit!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #6

Jul 2007

Haha. Blu-ray will last us at least a good decade. The market would not be ready to support the next future generation format anytime soon.

Although the plans look good in the long run (Hobbit, next James Bond) the immediate does not look so appetizing to me. Paramount and Universal seem to have the more interesting line up for theater releases. We'll have to see what the BDA film studios have lined up.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2007
Denver, CO

I always check out the new releases on amazon.com every Wednesday of a new week. They're always updates and new titles of (mainly) SDs, but also there are many more Blu and *cough* those 'other' titles interspersed.

After the first of the year, unfortunately, I'm seeing more of those other titles and not that many new Blu's on the schedule. Those others aren't titles that would float anyone's boat exactly, and nothing that I'd want to purchase anyway. Yet, so far, I'm not seeing much in the way of concrete Blu titles after the 1st of the year that I want to line up and buy either. Let's hope in the next month or two, more Blu announcements/titles will be forthcoming.

Maybe January is a rather slow month anyway for any new titles, Blu or SD.

-Greg
Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV
Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray Player
Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray Player
Sony KDL-55HX800 HD 3D TV
Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray 3D Player
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #8

Oct 2007

Before anybody gets their hopes up on The Hobbit, it has a story full of as much drama as this forum war. To get the most information, head on over to www.theonering.net. That will fill you in. By the way, I thought Sony bought MGM. I could be wrong.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

MGM has always had the rights to distribute The Hobbit, that's part of the reason why they haven't made it yet. It was a big selling point for MGM

NL's rights to make the film expire at the end of the year, and the company that manages LOTR for the Tolkeins was unwilling to renew without PJ, MGM wanted PJ, and the international distributors wanted PJ

Bottom line- People were going to get fired, and we'd still have PJ

I'm glad it's going to be 2 parts, this way we'll get everything
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Special Member

Apr 2007
Canada

I hope they don't wait too much longer to start production. Ian Holm & Ian McKellan (sp?) are getting up there & I'd like to see them reprise their roles as Bilbo & Gandalf.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Ian Holm will not play Bilbo
Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger roach View Post
Oh, but no, no, we HAVE to tie "Can't wait for the Blu-ray" into every single factoid of movie news or new online preview!--
Otherwise, it just wouldn't fit in context!

(And assuming we are geek-drifting about Jackson and Hobbit, what happened to the story that New Line was getting desperate over the rights reverting to Saul Zaentz next year, a known Jackson supporter who was also no friend of New Line?)
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
MGM has always had the rights to distribute The Hobbit, that's part of the reason why they haven't made it yet. It was a big selling point for MGM

I'm glad it's going to be 2 parts, this way we'll get everything
Considering what PJ did to LOTR, we'll get plenty that wasn't in the book.
imperio absenti chaos regit

bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem

si post fata venit gloria non propero
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America