Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nocturnal Animals (Blu-ray)
€6.99
Inferno (Blu-ray)
€6.99
Trainspotting / T2: Trainspotting (Blu-ray)
€11.99
Jason Bourne (Blu-ray)
€6.99
Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
€6.99
Eureka Seven: The Movie (Blu-ray)
€4.99
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (Blu-ray)
€7.67
Kung Fu Panda (Blu-ray)
€7.67
The Lost City of Z (Blu-ray)
€12.99
House of Cards: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
€29.99
Smokin' Aces (Blu-ray)
€12.99
Tremors (Blu-ray)
€13.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy

Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #61

May 2011
Rome, Italy

Easily one of the discs of the year. Colours are very warm, detail is rich and sharpness is excellent (but it's not over-sharpened). There are very few instances of debris/minor damages during the film. I confirm the English track, which is clearly the better option - especially regarding explosions, noises and so on. Like "Once Upon a Time in the West", the disc is B-locked.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #62
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
London

I think it's going to be my first Blu of 2014, a great start to the year.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #63
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan8700 View Post
Easily one of the discs of the year. Colours are very warm, detail is rich and sharpness is excellent (but it's not over-sharpened). There are very few instances of debris/minor damages during the film. I confirm the English track, which is clearly the better option - especially regarding explosions, noises and so on. Like "Once Upon a Time in the West", the disc is B-locked.
You have just sold it to me! Going to stick in a order now.
The World Is Yours

Pre-Orders:Skyfall Steelbook, Who Framed Roger Rabbit Steelbook
My Blu Ray Collection http://youtu.be/7Jk3cPdrmL8
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Thanks for the heads up, will grab with my next Amazon.it order.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #65

Apr 2011
-

How's the English soundtrack? Does it have the swearing, with the music cues correctly synced, or is a remixed catastrophe like the most recent DVD version? And does it have the final flashback?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #66

Feb 2008

Just put in my order but for some reason, it's gonna be the end of January before I get it. Why so long from Amazon Italy?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #67

Dec 2010
Italy A Fistful of Dynamite BD Review

...Just arrived, and I also gave him a look ...

...Few words...

...Since have Magnificently Transfered on BD (finally) and Restored to Art, the Masterpiece (one of the Masterpieces, that I Love a lot) of Sergio Leone, GIU' LA TESTA ! ... A Fistful of Dynamite !!!

...And all is perfect !

...The yield of the images is Extraordinarily Alive, the colors are rendered beautifully and above all natural, there is a lot of grain (beautiful grain) Film grain, prominently and well managed, Excellent detail in close-ups in the middle and in those with long dolly.

...The AVC encoding is highly transparent, and the average bit rate is always very high, with peaks of 36-37 Mbps, and the middle average is about 26-30 Mbps .

...Great, both audio tracks, English and Italian, both are in DTS-HD MA 2.0 (as mentioned earlier), and they travel in both fixed bitrate of 1.6 Mbps, the yield of these, however, is different from one another, and from what I have heard, for now I prefer the more original English track.

...For the extras, there is a special about Sergio Leone, who obviously still have not seen.

... For me, this jumps straight Ranked among the Best BD release of the year, of this late 2013 .
...The eyes let flow with tears, then blood, then the very soul—the whole wrung inside out, dripping down into the blackened puddle of the past...

... THE CINEMA IS AN INVENTION WITHOUT A FUTURE ! ...
Louis Lumière
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #68

Feb 2013

Thanks for the review, Jesse James.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #69
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Wow very nice packaging.
The World Is Yours

Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #70
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Not a fan of that packaging...
Neil Harrison.

50" Panasonic plasma and 6.1 sound.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #71

Jan 2013

Amazon.it decided to not ship mine yet and it says 1-2 MONTHS for backorder
Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #72

Feb 2009

Mine hasn't been send yet but says it will arrive somewhere between 31/12 and 10/01.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #73

Feb 2011
UK

I received an e-mail from Amazon.it with a new shipping estimate of December 31st. Fingers crossed it ships soon!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #74

Feb 2008

Mine changed from January 14th-21st to January 7th. It says that as its arrival date but I wonder if it really means that's the day it'll be shipped.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #75

Feb 2011
UK

Shipped from Amazon.it! Delivery estimate is Saturday!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #76

Feb 2009

Mine also has been shipped. Should be here by the end of the week.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #77

Apr 2011
-

Copy received.

The good news first: as reported earlier, the underlying scans of the negative are of a high quality, without excessive grain management. Also, both the Italian and English audio is the correct version with the music cues in the right place and the English swearing intact. As anticipated, this is the original Italian edit with the final flashback at the end.

The edition however is not without its problems. As with all the recent Leone restorations bar A Fistful of Dollars, the colour timing is questionable. In this case, the gamma is off, meaning that shadows and highlight details are somewhat crushed. There's also so much red and so little blue that it almost looks like two-strip Technicolor. To draw comparisons, I would say that it's more problematic than Once Upon in the West but not as bad as the Italian restoration of Once Upon a Time in America. There's also a strange anomaly whereby a few frames of black have been inserted between the opening credits and the rest of the film, a mistake I presume.

And then there's the English track. Although this is the right version, quality is very poor. Unlike the Italian track, which has been very nicely restored, the English track sounds as if it has been ripped straight off of an old 35mm print with a dull, echoey tenor throughout. It is also out of sync, running 2-3 frames later than it should - this was the first of Leone's films to be shot with sync sound but you wouldn't know it here. To top things off, the film ends with a bonafide screw-up: Steiger's last line on the English track ("what about me?") is in Italian! Although not a flaw, English viewers should also be aware that the titles and the opening quote from Mao are also in Italian.

To conclude, although this is the best release to date of the Italian version of the film, and things could certainly be worse (eg. MGM's atrocious 5.1 remix from 2005), there is certainly room for improvement. The 2003 European DVD release still has the best colour, by far the best English audio track and, for me, the best edit of the film (not being particularly enamoured of the final flashback or the extra two lines of dialogue) - although of course it lacks HD resolution. On balance then, for English audiences, my advice would be to hold on to that version and wait and see what we get from MGM.

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo; 12-24-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #78
Expert Member

Apr 2010
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
Copy received.

The good news first: as reported earlier, the underlying scans of the negative are of a high quality, without excessive grain management. Also, both the Italian and English audio is the correct version with the music cues in the right place and the English swearing intact. As anticipated, this is the original Italian edit with the final flashback at the end.

The edition however is not without its problems. As with all the recent Leone restorations bar A Fistful of Dollars, the colour timing is questionable. In this case, the gamma is off, meaning that shadows and highlight details are somewhat crushed. There's also so much red and so little blue that it almost looks like two-strip Technicolor. To draw comparisons, I would say that it's more problematic than Once Upon in the West but not as bad as the Italian restoration of Once Upon a Time in America. There's also a strange anomaly whereby a few frames of black have been inserted between the opening credits and the rest of the film, a mistake I presume.

And then there's the English track. Although this is the right version, quality is very poor. Unlike the Italian track, which has been very nicely restored, the English track sounds as if it has been ripped straight off of an old 35mm print with a dull, echoey tenor throughout. It is also out of sync, running 2-3 frames later than it should - this was the first of Leone's films to be shot with sync sound but you wouldn't know it here. To top things off, the film ends with a bonafide screw-up: Steiger's last line on the English track ("what about me?") is in Italian! Although not a flaw, English viewers should also be aware that the titles and the opening quote from Mao are also in Italian.

To conclude, although this is the best release to date of the Italian version of the film, and things could certainly be worse (eg. MGM's atrocious 5.1 remix from 2005), there is certainly room for improvement. The 2003 European DVD release still has the best colour, by far the best English audio track and, for me, the best edit of the film (not being particularly enamoured of the final flashback or the extra two lines of dialogue) - although of course it lacks HD resolution. On balance then, for English audiences, my advice would be to hold on to that version and wait and see what we get from MGM.
Thanks for the review bud. Bit worrying to hear the English track is out of sync. Id love to wait for a UK release but judging by MGMs track record here we could be waiting for ever.
The World Is Yours

Old 12-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #79

Apr 2011
-

Looking more closely the sync comes and goes (have adjusted user review to reflect this). It's not so bad at the beginning, but at the half way mark characters have sometimes closed their mouths before the words come out (eg. Steiger shouting at Coburn before the bridge assault). It's the single biggest issue with the disc for sure.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #80

May 2011
Rome, Italy

Sorry, but the previous DVD editions simply cannot feature a more correct colour scheme, since the film was recently restored by the Cineteca di Bologna in collaboration with Leone Films, and the Cineteca has never failed so far. This is the most accurate visual representation of the film.
I can't comment on the out of sync English track, since I don't own a different English-spoken version of the film, but maybe there is more than one English track available and they used the one slightly OoS in some places (probably didn't bother)? But if so, why?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy