COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.25
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Godzilla vs. Megalon (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default Drunken Master and Snake In The Eagle's Shadow!!!

Okay, so I know I started the Japanese Jackie Chan thread, but I felt this REALLY needed its own intro post:



Drunken Master and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow Blu-ray set

Now, the biggest reason to rejoice about these is that we finally get some 70s Jackie Chan films NOT restored by Fortune Star! There's actually a chance for true HD! I did notice Sony logos on the discs, so I'm guessing they still have Japanese rights to them. And I know for a fact that these films had HD masters made, albeit for DVD.

Only downside is that it comes out just five days before Christmas, so unless you know someone leaving Japan the day after, you probably won't get it under the Christmas tree. But hey, you can ask someone for the amount it costs
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Puonti Puonti is offline
Active Member
 
Puonti's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Sweden
Default

Awesome news! Always loved Drunken Master, never seen Snake in the Eagle's Shadow though. Doesn't seem to be any English subs tho.
#include "brain.h"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puonti View Post
Awesome news! Always loved Drunken Master, never seen Snake in the Eagle's Shadow though. Doesn't seem to be any English subs tho.
True, this is the usual downside with these... but for the hardcore fans, it's a start. I can't imagine Sony US actually doing anything with these films... *maybe* pass them off to Twilight Time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
benricci benricci is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
benricci's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
1
Default

Would kill for English subs - I'd even settle for dubs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
whiteberry whiteberry is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2013
Default

It's from Sony so the original language track will most likely revert to the new English dub in parts like the DVD. I hope I'm wrong though and Sony fixes the issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
It's from Sony so the original language track will most likely revert to the new English dub in parts like the DVD. I hope I'm wrong though and Sony fixes the issue.
The info I've read allegedly claims that it has the original Cantonese track. On that note, I should probably update the first post with the translated specs
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
whiteberry whiteberry is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2013
Default

Ran Amazon's page through Google Translate and it looks like it has a bonus disc with the original Japanese versions of both movies on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
whiteberry whiteberry is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
The info I've read allegedly claims that it has the original Cantonese track. On that note, I should probably update the first post with the translated specs
So did the Sony DVD but the Cantonese track reverted to the new English dub in parts during the movie. Very distracting. The only complete Cantonese track was on the HK Video DVD.

I'm excited about this release like everyone else but I just wanted to remind people of the issue with Sony's DVD and the possible likelihood of it being carried over to the blu-ray.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about Drunken Master, not Snake In The Eagle's Shadow.

Last edited by whiteberry; 10-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Puonti Puonti is offline
Active Member
 
Puonti's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
So did the Sony DVD but the Cantonese track reverted to the new English dub in parts during the movie. Very distracting.
Aye, I have Drunken Master on DVD as well, and it confused the hell out of me when they suddenly started speaking in English. I thought I accidently switched the Audio, or that my player was glitching up.
#include "brain.h"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Well, I first found out about this via Facebook through a Japanese collector, who clearly stated "complete original Cantonese" for Drunken Master. Now, there's still that chance that they may accidentally used the "patched" track that was on the original US DVD, but as the complete Cantonese track has indeed been available via HK Video for sometime now... there's hope

Btw, here's everything that comes with it... looks very similar to the Paramount Japan blu-rays:

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
reason108 reason108 is online now
Senior Member
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Well, I first found out about this via Facebook through a Japanese collector, who clearly stated "complete original Cantonese" for Drunken Master. Now, there's still that chance that they may accidentally used the "patched" track that was on the original US DVD, but as the complete Cantonese track has indeed been available via HK Video for sometime now... there's hope

Btw, here's everything that comes with it... looks very similar to the Paramount Japan blu-rays:


OH MY GOD! I JUST SHAT MYSELF!!!! That looks amazing. Snake is one of my favorite Chan movies and have been wanting this on blu. And, I have the English dubbed, slightly cut, US version of Drunken Master II. And, though I would have preferred Drunken Master I & II together, this will do. Man, this would complete my JC collection on blu until someone does true HD on some of his classics (which will probably never happen). So, to clarify, would there be an English track? And, what is the price? And, where to buy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
OH MY GOD! I JUST SHAT MYSELF!!!! That looks amazing. Snake is one of my favorite Chan movies and have been wanting this on blu. And, I have the English dubbed, slightly cut, US version of Drunken Master II. And, though I would have preferred Drunken Master I & II together, this will do. Man, this would complete my JC collection on blu until someone does true HD on some of his classics (which will probably never happen). So, to clarify, would there be an English track? And, what is the price? And, where to buy?
Sadly, like most Japanese releases, this will probably not have English. The only times the Japanese releases have had English was when their theatrical versions used English dubs, such as Wheels on Meals or Young Master.

As for where to order, I've ordered a couple of titles from hmv.co.jp (including the Bruce Lee "extreme edition" blu rays and the Police Story steelbook with the extended cut), and it seems like their shipping is cheaper than Amazon.co.jp... at least to the US. But on that note, it looks like this two-fer will be $60 before shipping is even taken into account

Aside from this, some rumblings I've read on Japanese sites imply that the bonus Japanese theatrical versions (which aren't that different, aside from alternate opening titles... although Drunken Master has a theme called "Kung Fusion"... no, not a joke) will be in HD. This goes in line with Paramount doing the same for the Japanese theatrical cuts of Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and Police Story. Once again, despite being Sony and not Paramount, I'm starting to think it could be the same production team... which is not a bad thing.

Also, looks like Jackie Chan shot an intro to Japan about this set... but, much like the films, the video is in Cantonese with Japanese subtitles:


Last edited by OldPangYau; 10-23-2013 at 06:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
reason108 reason108 is online now
Senior Member
 
reason108's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
-
4
Default

Thanks for your response to my question. These Japanese releases are so frustrating because they are something that I want to own but no English subs or dubs equals no sale. And, somehow I knew this set was going to be in the $60 range. Almost a psychic feeling once I looked at the picture. I really hope that they release that here or at least put the blu`s out. At least FS do not have their hands in this. Might still pick this up at some point.

Last edited by reason108; 10-23-2013 at 11:43 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

I might end up caving and picking this up, just to finally have these movies in HD. At least that's one person who'll bite the bullet to review it
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
almo89 almo89 is offline
Active Member
 
almo89's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
3
Default

This actually looks pretty sick. Of course I will wait until reviews. I haven't picked up any of the Fortune Star upscales due to principle, but if these are indeed real HD, it's a no brainer to pick them up.

It's neat that Jackie Chan does a little video to promote it. He doesn't really do a lot of special features type things for his older films often, so it's cool to see him do a mini promotional video.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
This actually looks pretty sick. Of course I will wait until reviews. I haven't picked up any of the Fortune Star upscales due to principle, but if these are indeed real HD, it's a no brainer to pick them up.

It's neat that Jackie Chan does a little video to promote it. He doesn't really do a lot of special features type things for his older films often, so it's cool to see him do a mini promotional video.
The physical extras are a plus as well, which seem to be small reproductions of the Japanese and Hong Kong posters as well as the theatrical pamphlets... once again, like the Paramount Japan blu-rays As for real HD, as these seem to be from the birthplace of Blu-ray, Sony, I have high hopes. Lord knows they wouldn't let that Fortune Star upscale crap fly.

And yeah, the promo clip (complete with backdrops of both films) does make it seem like he shot new interviews. Of course, expect Cantonese with Japanese subs. But I'm sure someone can translate Also, Chan can probably respect the fact that this one-two punch is what put him on the map, as if it wasn't for SITES and DM, he wouldn't be where he is today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
grim_tales grim_tales is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK
Default

Such a shame there are no English subs
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
almo89 almo89 is offline
Active Member
 
almo89's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
The physical extras are a plus as well, which seem to be small reproductions of the Japanese and Hong Kong posters as well as the theatrical pamphlets... once again, like the Paramount Japan blu-rays As for real HD, as these seem to be from the birthplace of Blu-ray, Sony, I have high hopes. Lord knows they wouldn't let that Fortune Star upscale crap fly.

And yeah, the promo clip (complete with backdrops of both films) does make it seem like he shot new interviews. Of course, expect Cantonese with Japanese subs. But I'm sure someone can translate Also, Chan can probably respect the fact that this one-two punch is what put him on the map, as if it wasn't for SITES and DM, he wouldn't be where he is today.
In that video he basically said Hi I'm Jackie Chan. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master coming out on Blu Ray for the first time. I'm sure you will like it.

He didn't say anything special, but it was just cool to see him in a new video promoting his old films. I wish he did more of that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
OldPangYau OldPangYau is offline
Special Member
 
OldPangYau's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
515
194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
In that video he basically said Hi I'm Jackie Chan. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master coming out on Blu Ray for the first time. I'm sure you will like it.

He didn't say anything special, but it was just cool to see him in a new video promoting his old films. I wish he did more of that.
Indeed, Hong Kong Legends was able to snag him once in a while, like the "Director's Workshop" for The Young Master. Plus I think he did an interview for TYM especially for Fortune Star.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
almo89 almo89 is offline
Active Member
 
almo89's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Indeed, Hong Kong Legends was able to snag him once in a while, like the "Director's Workshop" for The Young Master. Plus I think he did an interview for TYM especially for Fortune Star.
In comparison, Sammo and Yuen Biao has done a lot more interviews in detail about their experiences in their older films.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.