Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Madden NFL 10 (PS3)
$9.55
Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3)
$13.93
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$9.98
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.39
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$13.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City (PS3)
$14.99
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.00
Rogue Warrior (PS3)
$27.89
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$11.06
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default Dead Space 3 - why the beef with this game?

What the hell is wrong with this? I think it's really good so far and i'm only on chapter 2 and it's meant to get even better?

I understand that it might steer a little bit away from the Survival Horror roots of the second and first game, but it's still quite creepy, for me at least. I briefly played the first one, was terrifying. Completed the second one and thought it was a very playable horror, but not one I wanted to immediately visit. And i've just started this third one, and i'm impressed with the gameplay mechanics, visuals and sound design so far. It's very immersive gaming.

So why the hate for it? Everyone knows that the last great survival horror was Resident Evil: Nemesis and maybe Code Veronica. Everything else, including Dead Space has been a shoot em up with survival horror elements.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
KamiAmaya KamiAmaya is offline
Power Member
 
KamiAmaya's Avatar
 
May 2008
Maryland, USA
216
1
4
Default

After the RE series turned to crap, survival horror fans like myself found Dead Space. The problem is, the Dead Space series was supposed to stay terrifying but EA felt the need to appeal to a wider audience (read: FPS players probably).

All DS3 is is wave after wave of enemies popping out again and again, and that does not a scary game make. It's annoying, and pissed me off more than anything. And don't get me started on the DS3 co-op...

EDIT:
Also, they did market research and apparently asked all the wrong gamers about DS1&2. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-re...o-scary/099920 Too scary they said. Bull. ****ing. ****. It's survival HORROR, it's supposed to be TERRIFING. They changed the game to appeal to others who probably weren't going to buy in to the series to start with. I mean, if it was to scary for someone to play DS1 or 2, you really think they'll start DS3? No. This isn't Final Fantasy, where you can pick up anywhere and the games have nothing to do with one another! /rant
Platinum #113: Tales from the Borderlands ~ 100% #214 - Megaman Legacy Collection ~ Working on: Knack, Steamworld Dig, Giana Sisters

Last edited by KamiAmaya; 11-23-2013 at 08:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Mobe1969 Mobe1969 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mobe1969's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiAmaya View Post
After the RE series turned to crap, survival horror fans like myself found Dead Space. The problem is, the Dead Space series was supposed to stay terrifying but EA felt the need to appeal to a wider audience (read: FPS players probably).

All DS3 is is wave after wave of enemies popping out again and again, and that does not a scary game make. It's annoying, and pissed me off more than anything. And don't get me started on the DS3 co-op...

EDIT:
Also, they did market research and apparently asked all the wrong gamers about DS1&2. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-re...o-scary/099920 Too scary they said. Bull. ****ing. ****. It's survival HORROR, it's supposed to be TERRIFING. They changed the game to appeal to others who probably weren't going to buy in to the series to start with. I mean, if it was to scary for someone to play DS1 or 2, you really think they'll start DS3? No. This isn't Final Fantasy, where you can pick up anywhere and the games have nothing to do with one another! /rant
Wow what idiots!

That next gen game, The Evil Within looks spot on for survival horror. I watched that gameplay video and even just as a viewer was pretty unnerving.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiAmaya View Post
After the RE series turned to crap, survival horror fans like myself found Dead Space. The problem is, the Dead Space series was supposed to stay terrifying but EA felt the need to appeal to a wider audience (read: FPS players probably).

All DS3 is is wave after wave of enemies popping out again and again, and that does not a scary game make. It's annoying, and pissed me off more than anything. And don't get me started on the DS3 co-op...

EDIT:
Also, they did market research and apparently asked all the wrong gamers about DS1&2. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-re...o-scary/099920 Too scary they said. Bull. ****ing. ****. It's survival HORROR, it's supposed to be TERRIFING. They changed the game to appeal to others who probably weren't going to buy in to the series to start with. I mean, if it was to scary for someone to play DS1 or 2, you really think they'll start DS3? No. This isn't Final Fantasy, where you can pick up anywhere and the games have nothing to do with one another! /rant

So tell me how you really feel?!

I do feel your pain though, seriously. I too was disappointed when the Resi series turned into Gears Of War, and that hit me hard because I grew up playing Resi and still think that Resi 2 is not only the best survival horror game made, but one of the best games made ever and would easily make it into my top 5.

Dead Space's transformation obviously has impacted you negatively than it has me though. I guess I always saw it as a game that would potentially become a hybrid of all sorts of genre given it's science fiction setting, so it wasn't a surprise that Dead Space 3 ended up the way it did. I'm sure the enemy waves do get repetitive but so far i'm not bored.

I'm not a huge Dead Space fan so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

It is dumb that they didn't even ask proper Dead Space fans about the survey though, makes no sense.



Quote:
Wow what idiots!

That next gen game, The Evil Within looks spot on for survival horror. I watched that gameplay video and even just as a viewer was pretty unnerving.
Oh mate, The Evil Within looks proper wicked, I got chicken feet when I heard about this. Same creator of the ORIGINAL Resident Evil games too

It's also coming out for PS3, so it will be a must buy for me, depending on reviews.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
LegacyCosts LegacyCosts is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
LegacyCosts's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Chicago
2
Default

Dead space 1 and 2 were incredible and very well paced. Dead Space 3 is relentless with the endless monsters as mentioned before. It is meant to be played as coop but I didn't have any friends who had the game and I don't want to play a survival space horror game with another person. Breaks the tension. Also the weapons you made were always crap compared to the weapons EA were selling. Dead Space 3 was a nice game one time through but I have no desire to play through it again unlike 1 and 2, which I played 2-3 times each. Less is more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
KamiAmaya KamiAmaya is offline
Power Member
 
KamiAmaya's Avatar
 
May 2008
Maryland, USA
216
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
So tell me how you really feel?!
lol Yeah, don't mind me, it's just that when DS3 didn't get the sales numbers EA was expecting, DS4 was either canceled or put on hold. Which is really unfortunate cause the series could have been so awesome. It just makes me angry >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
It is meant to be played as coop but I didn't have any friends who had the game and I don't want to play a survival space horror game with another person. Breaks the tension.
^This!!!
Platinum #113: Tales from the Borderlands ~ 100% #214 - Megaman Legacy Collection ~ Working on: Knack, Steamworld Dig, Giana Sisters
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Mobe1969 Mobe1969 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mobe1969's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiAmaya View Post
lol Yeah, don't mind me, it's just that when DS3 didn't get the sales numbers EA was expecting, DS4 was either canceled or put on hold. Which is really unfortunate cause the series could have been so awesome. It just makes me angry >_<


^This!!!
Oh yeah co-op survival horror is a contradiction in terms... Aside from not want I g to spoil my single player experience playing with a random person, playing with AI characters like in re5, I just wanted to kill the partner.

My ultimate survival horror so far would have had to be silent hill 2. RE2 I loved also. SH3 also.

I really miss the cinematic fixed camera survival horror format.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
aboleo angelus aboleo angelus is offline
Active Member
 
aboleo angelus's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
truth or consequences, NM
398
20
4
Default

I think the reason i enjoyed it so much was because it was snowing like hell here while i played :P
the man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
jetjaguar4 jetjaguar4 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
jetjaguar4's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Miami, FL
1
17
Default

Loved DS1 & DS2. Never got around to playing part 3. Still need to give it a shot. My favorite survival horror is hands down RE Remake on Gamecube. I'm still crossing my fingers that one day it'll be released in HD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Oh yeah co-op survival horror is a contradiction in terms... Aside from not want I g to spoil my single player experience playing with a random person, playing with AI characters like in re5, I just wanted to kill the partner.

My ultimate survival horror so far would have had to be silent hill 2. RE2 I loved also. SH3 also.

I really miss the cinematic fixed camera survival horror format.
Absolutely. I don't mind if they add co-op as an option, but to sell off a game as a pure co op experience would be very annoying. That's what they did for Resi 5. At least with Dead Space 3 we've got the option to go at it alone, which is what i'm doing now.

You know, you I never ever got to play the Silent Hill games, i'm not sure why, but I just never got around to it. They always appealed to me but I never got my hands on any. Such a shame as i'm sure it's great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjaguar4 View Post
Loved DS1 & DS2. Never got around to playing part 3. Still need to give it a shot. My favorite survival horror is hands down RE Remake on Gamecube. I'm still crossing my fingers that one day it'll be released in HD.
Plus 1, how do you rep somebody on this site anyways???

LOVED that game, and it seems to have aged remarkably well going by youtube videos. Have no idea why it hasn't been released as a HD port on PS3 Store, but i'd buy that immediately, stunning game. I'm still hoping that they give Resident Evil 2 the same remake treatment, but ONLY in that fixed camera style, Imagine the graphics on that today? Would be amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
jsteinhauer jsteinhauer is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
jsteinhauer's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
120
66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiAmaya View Post
The problem is...the need to appeal to a wider audience (read: FPS players probably).
This is the problem with almost every franchise, is it not? I almost never succeeds, because the end product does not appeal to the real fan base, and those who were not already fans of the franchise are not going to become fans of a mediocre product.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Mobe1969 Mobe1969 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Mobe1969's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
Plus 1, how do you rep somebody on this site anyways???

LOVED that game, and it seems to have aged remarkably well going by youtube videos. Have no idea why it hasn't been released as a HD port on PS3 Store, but i'd buy that immediately, stunning game. I'm still hoping that they give Resident Evil 2 the same remake treatment, but ONLY in that fixed camera style, Imagine the graphics on that today? Would be amazing.
I bought that game but just got too frustrated with it. The incessant tiny inventory juggling turned into the greater part of the game. The actual game was lost in that. RE2 was at least fun. And more epic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
jsteinhauer jsteinhauer is offline
Gaming Moderator
 
jsteinhauer's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
120
66
Default

It wasn't terrible. It just wasn't very memorable. But it was fun enough to play.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
tigertron tigertron is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tigertron's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Weston-super-Mare, UK
286
31
24
2
Default

I met a guy on there and we buddied up for the campaign and it was a blast. That said, the whole co-op experience ruined the horror and reduced the tension because you knew you weren't alone. The feeling of isolation was something that was prevalent in the previous games.

The single player was obviously more scary than the co-op mode, but even then you could tell the whole game was more or less designed with co-op in mind.

Still, I'm a big Dead Space fan so I look forward to the inevitable DS4. I just hope it's more about fear and less about the action. I actually think DS2 got it spot on between action and horror, though I would prefer DS4 to be more like the first.
My top 2017 films: Logan, Ghost in the Shell, Fast & Furious 8, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, War of the Planet of the Apes, IT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
dyne dyne is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
dyne's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
419
7
Default

I loved the first game. Had a very Event Horizon feel to it. Part two was much more actiony and for the 3rd I felt like I was just going through the motions. I just wish companies didn't feel that everything has to be a trilogy and that all 3 didn't have to come out in the same gen.

I'll give a nod to jetjaguar4. I loved the REmake as well. It's not my personal favorite survival horror (I think that still goes to Enemy Zero on the Saturn) but it's still gorgeous and the additions made it feel like a whole new game. Damn those red zombies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
Tony208 Tony208 is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
Tony208's Avatar
 
May 2010
NYC
423
23
496
Default

the game was ruined for me once you got to navigating space debris

cause that is so scary complete 180 from the claustrophobic environments in the first 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
I bought that game but just got too frustrated with it. The incessant tiny inventory juggling turned into the greater part of the game. The actual game was lost in that. RE2 was at least fun. And more epic.
Really? I don't remember too much inventory juggling, at least none more so than the other Resi games. I thought it was a near perfect game, the new horrific sub story about that horrific experiment on that Lisa character was a fantastic edition and added to the unease of the game. Resi 2 is definitely more epic and has more of a fun factor, I agree, but Resi remake is a close second for pure atmospheric terror.

Quote:
the game was ruined for me once you got to navigating space debris

cause that is so scary complete 180 from the claustrophobic environments in the first 2
I'm up to the part where I have to slow down this big massive wheel. Think it's an optional mission on the terra mover, feels claustrophobic enough to me, I am always on edge and I have played Dead Space 1 and completed part 2, so it definitely feels fairly frightening to me. Or maybe i'm just a *****
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

I'm on the final chapter. Think that the game is really good, haven't really changed my mind. It does have a few weaknesses. It CAN get a bit repetitive and most sections can simply feel like an arena for taking on the aliens, and they can feel like fodder for empting your ammo, BUT...it's challenging and relentless and probably one of the more aggressive games I have played in awhile.

The level design is almost on par with The Last Of Us imo, though the gameplay is nowhere as strong. I can see why previous Dead Space fans are put off, but I am not an original Dead Space fan, I only completed the 2nd one, and that was good, but I had no desire to replay it. This one feels more exciting to me and takes you to some unexpected places. Very good game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
ariakon ariakon is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
ariakon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
VA
47
Default

The game plays well, and looks fine enough. But I disliked it immensely. I can see why someone else might enjoy it, but the game took one of my favorite series' and turned it into a generic action game. It turned something special into something mediocre. So, was it fun? Sure, at times. But Dead Space had been something, if not unique, then different, at least.

I would liken it to movies about Aliens. Dead Space 1 was Alien (at least in video game terms. Don't get me wrong, the movies have much better writing and story), Dead Space 2 was Aliens, and Dead Space 3 was Predator 2. (Couldn't go with Alien Resurrection, that would be too cruel). It had some cool moments, but had a poor story and a somewhat bland concept.

At least it was better than Colonial Marines.
Currently Playing: Overwatch, Uncharted 4, Doom

Looking Forward to: Abzu, Titanfall 2, Horizon Zero Dawn

Last edited by ariakon; 12-24-2013 at 01:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 AM.