Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit $6.00 (92% sold out)
Now: Silver Linings Playbook $6.00 (30 mins left)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
2 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.00
1 hr ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49
3 hrs ago
21 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$6.00
1 hr ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.49
3 hrs ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
Noah (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
18 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Blu-ray)
$6.00
1 hr ago
Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
20 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #101
Power Member

Aug 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
I'm honestly a bit confused how any blu-ray enthusiast could suggest that a digital download could in any way satisfy (even if qualifying as less-than-ideal) as an acceptable means of enjoying this film... 3D or otherwise.

Aren't we part of this forum because we care about optimal image and sound? Or do we just come here to debate the merits of packaging borders and cover art?

the worst thing consumers can do in a sitatution like this is send a signal to Disney that digital-downloads are somehow an acceptable alternative to blu-ray quality.

If you want the 3D that much (as I do) then get an import. If you're worried about compatibility then just wait a week after release until other members have their import copies and can post to verify that they are region A compatible.

Or wait.

but either way, don't let Disney think by your action that download alternatives are acceptable.
What signal am I sending when I'm sure I'm one of only a small number of people who even know it's available in 3D digital? It's not exactly well promoted or all that accessible. Besides, if people are still buying physical discs studios will continue to make them. They're not going to just stop because I bought one digital movie. It comes down to which format is most appealing to consumers in the end.

And no, I'm not importing. I don't own any non-North American Blu-rays, and I'm keeping it that way. Call it an OCD thing if you want. And although it may not have "optimal" picture and sound it amazingly was still enjoyable, as hard as that may seem.

I will be buying this movie on 3D Blu-ray on day one, but until then my family can enjoy it now. There, I think I'm done justifying myself.
"If you don't like something, don't watch it again. Why whinge about it on a forum to a load o' divs? Don't worry about it." - Karl Pilkington

Current Setups:
- Epson 8350, 145" display on wall with Behr Silver Screen, Onkyo HT-S3400 HTiB, Samsung BD player
- Vizio 65" M-Series w/ 3D, Vizio 5.1 soundbar, PS3 Slim, PS4, Wii U, XBox360
PSN ID: ozz_soad NN ID: ozzsoad
Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #102
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzsoad View Post
What signal am I sending when I'm sure I'm one of only a small number of people who even know it's available in 3D digital?
If we have to spell it out for you, then you must be the one pictured on the right.
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #103

Mar 2008
Georgia on My Mind

I pre-ordered the UK version, but now wondering which version may be best.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #104

Dec 2011

Digital 3D review
Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #105
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
If we have to spell it out for you, then you must be the one pictured on the right.
Haha, refuses to import, but pays $35 for a Digital ONLY copy. Sounds like a monkey to me.
PSN: BowsersFireBreth

Sony PS4
LG 55UB8500 UHD TV
LG LHB976 HTIB
APC J25B Power Conditioner with Battery Backup
Old 02-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #106
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Something I learned a little while ago--If you want to experience cheaper prices and a wider range of available 3D content (and special editions like SteelBooks), you must be willing to import. Do it once or twice and it may actually become a fun, unique part of your collection. Don't let importphobia prevent you from enjoying the movies you want to see in the best quality possible.

If you're OCD about how the case spine will look on your shelf, get the Zavvi SteelBook. It's beautiful! If you want the cheapest Blu-ray, get the standard edition from Amazon UK. There's good options available for Frozen 3D. You just have to order them from a new website, pay a small premium, and wait a little longer for shipping.

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/frozen-.../10876045.html
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 02-27-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #107
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

I thought this wasn't getting a 3D release anywhere ! Pulled the trigger on the Amazon UK 3D edition. I wish the outer slip was a silver cover as I feel the blue-silver combo illustrates the mood and atmosphere of the movie and the cold very well, but apart from that, I'm just glad there's a 3D BD available for purchase!
I hope Disney doesn't give a DTS-HD HR track or something..
Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Philips Hue mood lighting | Nvidia 3D Vision
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #108
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzsoad View Post
See, I refuse to import it as well, but I really wanted to see it in 3D. Digital 3D may not be ideal, but it was better than waiting for who knows how long for a Blu-ray release.

It made for a nice movie night for my wife and I in any case. The 3D was awesome, I don't think I would watch it any other way. It'll hold me over till Diseny releases the Blu-ray.
Why not import the UK 3D BD, watch it till the U.S version is released, then sell the U.K BD? Why pay 35$ for a digital copy with lossy audio and low bitrate? (Something that can disappear from your library at any given time.)
Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Philips Hue mood lighting | Nvidia 3D Vision
Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #109

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Finally did it and ordered the 3d version from Amazon.uk - comes out to $30 which isnt horrible as Im sure I would have been spending close to $25 if there was a 3d version here in the US. Only problem is I will be buying the US version if its ever released..

on another note -
Do we get slips from Amazon UK? The few items ive ordered came without slips but I think it was well after release.
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #110

Jan 2009
Vancouverish, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
You clearly don't realize who the guy on the left is. Trust me, the one on the right is probably smarter. Go look up "An Idiot Abroad".

Which, when I think about it, is funny. The series on blu ray only exists in Europe.

That said, I do appreciate the desire to have a specific look to one's collection. Having things the way you want them isn't OCD, it's preference and it's yours to decide what you want. Not being able to leave the house without checking the faucet 40 times is OCD, not wanting a tidy collection.

Oh, I forgot to ask: does anyone have the skinny on the extras that'll be offered on the UK edition? The 3D version on Vudu was good, but not $36 good.
“Most of the successful people in Hollywood are failures as human beings.” - Brando
Player: HDA30 / PS3 / LG 645 3D BR / Sony S185
Receiver: Sony STR-DH520 (excellent budget receiver!)
TV: LG 55LW5300 3D LED LCD
Speakers: Energy Encore 5.1

Last edited by andsoitgoes; 02-27-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #111

Sep 2010
Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrod View Post
I'm tempted to pre-order this one, but I'm afraid that it doesn't contains the canadian french language track (daughters don't speak/understand English)
Usually we get the exact same discs as the US version, so if it would've been included there, it should be included here.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #112

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
That said, I do appreciate the desire to have a specific look to one's collection. Having things the way you want them isn't OCD, it's preference and it's yours to decide what you want.
I have almost every Disney 3D release all with Slipcovers in excellent condition neatly lined up on a shelf. But screw continuity. No way I am going to pay $35 for a 3D digital download that doesn't come close to 3D bluray quality even when streaming through VUDU. This will be my first import and I have no problem rebuying a domestic 3D release if and when it finally arrives for continuity sake. However, I'll probably just buy the 2D slipcover from someone in the slipcover trade thread if need be.... and this is coming from someone who has well over 200 ultraviolet HD digital copies in my UV locker so it's not an anti-digital copy thing, it's a $35 for a digital copy is a rip off when I was able to get the UK import preordered awhile back for $28 shipped.
Sony XBR 65HX950 Full Array w/Local Dimming
Yamaha RX3800
Oppo 103 & 93
Original launch PS3 60g fat
Old 02-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #113

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Did anyone see the latest promo email from Vudu? It clearly advertises that Frozen 3D is a Vudu "Digital Exclusive" that is not available on Blu-ray. I think this pretty much confirms that Vudu has an exclusivity agreement with Disney for Frozen 3D in the United States. As soon as this agreement expires, I'm sure Disney will release the 3D version on Blu-ray.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #114

Dec 2013
Yuma, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Something I learned a little while ago--If you want to experience cheaper prices and a wider range of available 3D content (and special editions like SteelBooks), you must be willing to import. Do it once or twice and it may actually become a fun, unique part of your collection. Don't let importphobia prevent you from enjoying the movies you want to see in the best quality possible.

If you're OCD about how the case spine will look on your shelf, get the Zavvi SteelBook. It's beautiful! If you want the cheapest Blu-ray, get the standard edition from Amazon UK. There's good options available for Frozen 3D. You just have to order them from a new website, pay a small premium, and wait a little longer for shipping.

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/frozen-.../10876045.html
Nice post. im totally ocd about not buying imports though I don't have one single reason. I used to feel that way about certain special editions that fit oddly on my shelf. Also about dvds but once I started I love having them. perhaps it'll be the same here. Plus as another poster mentioned... what better way to get Disney to stop doing this than to buy the import and show em were not gonna settle for digital only.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #115
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
Did anyone see the latest promo email from Vudu? It clearly advertises that Frozen 3D is a Vudu "Digital Exclusive" that is not available on Blu-ray. I think this pretty much confirms that Vudu has an exclusivity agreement with Disney for Frozen 3D in the United States. As soon as this agreement expires, I'm sure Disney will release the 3D version on Blu-ray.
That explains a lot. I guess 3D BD / TV manufacture exclusives (Avatar/Panasonic, Dreamworks/Samsung, etc.) weren't bad enough to absolutely kill 3D BDs, now Disney is selling out to Vudu for a 3D Digital Download exclusive.

I wish they would stop this mess and just release awesome 3D BDs all the time.
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #116
Power Member

Oct 2007

Well that pretty much ends my relationship with Vudu. Wal-Mart can go to f-in hell
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #117

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papageorgio View Post
Nice post. im totally ocd about not buying imports though I don't have one single reason. I used to feel that way about certain special editions that fit oddly on my shelf. Also about dvds but once I started I love having them. perhaps it'll be the same here. Plus as another poster mentioned... what better way to get Disney to stop doing this than to buy the import and show em were not gonna settle for digital only.
But it's not an exclusive you can also purchase the 3D digital from the Sony playstation store for 29.00(still too $$$)
Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 AM   #118
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64rhodes View Post
But it's not an exclusive you can also purchase the 3D digital from the Sony playstation store for 29.00(still too $$$)
Last time I checked, PS store was 720p only. Did that change?

Any savings by doing a group buy for the 3D version?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #119

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Last time I checked, PS store was 720p only. Did that change?

Any savings by doing a group buy for the 3D version?
Oh you are correct it's a bare bones release with out any bonus features and yes inferior quality resolution I simply made my post to point out that vudu isn't a true only option version but an exclusive bundle and resolution version trust me hell will be FROZEN before I buy into disney's experiment and purchase a digital 3d copy no reason not to make 3d available on both digital and blu ray at the same time let's face it the entire release of frozen was not planed well at all because Disney had no idea it would become the hit it is (they need to have more faith in their movies) to me that explains the sub par bonus features and no commentary yet they brand the release a "collectors edition" come on Disney you know who collectors are or you would not have a d23 club with tons of "collectible" exclusives in fave today they are pre selling a "overpriced collectible LP soundtrack pressing of the Frozen soundtrack so I think Disney believes in a collector I also get it that the core audience to Disney movies is children that have no use for a commentary but Disney also certainly realizes that plenty of adult collectors are out there or the diamond editions would not be manufactured --- oh buy the way two things.... The new Disney movie app is a ok idea but not all my movies are available in it like they should be (black cauldron is not porting over?) and when we we see the classic Song of the South

Last edited by jeff64rhodes; 02-28-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #120

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64rhodes View Post
It says "Digital Exclusive" which is correct since it's not on disc (at least here in the states)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies