Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$154.15
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Power Member

Apr 2007
Greenville, SC
Default Backwards compatibility with DVD and CD

I'm confused as to why the PS4 won't play CDs. As I understand it, the ability to play audio CDs is required by the DVD spec. In other words, if the hardware has the DVD logo on it, it has to play CDs. Likewise, I thought the Blu-ray Disc spec requires playback of DVD, (and thus CDs, as well). What's the deal?
Sony Bravia XBR KDL-40XBR6
Sony HT-SF2300 5.1 HTiB
Sony BDP-S550
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
I'm confused as to why the PS4 won't play CDs. As I understand it, the ability to play audio CDs is required by the DVD spec. In other words, if the hardware has the DVD logo on it, it has to play CDs. Likewise, I thought the Blu-ray Disc spec requires playback of DVD, (and thus CDs, as well). What's the deal?
It has nothing to do with the hardware, it's the software that's missing, but will be added later at some point, it won't play mp3 either.
Favorite Quote from Father Goose
Lieutenant Stebbings: Mother Goose is requesting a chaplain.
Commander Frank Houghton: A chaplain? Good heavens, he's killed her.
Lieutenant Stebbings: No, sir. They want to get married.
Commander Frank Houghton: Married? Goody Two-Shoes and the Filthy Beast?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

AFAIK backwards compatibility is not required by either BD or DVD specs. Most BD (and DVD) players are backwards-compatible, of course, because BD & DVD each adopted the CD's physical format (5"/120mm optical discs); only laser wavelengths, disc formats and software differ. Still, the BD logo alone does not guarantee DVD playback, nor does the DVD logo alone guarantee CD playback. (Indeed, BD & DVD players aren't even required to read all discs of their own formats; most DVD-Audio discs aren't readable by most DVD players, and reportedly the Xbox One won't read recordable BDs.)
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, TMT 3, 5 & 6, PDVD 11, Nero 11
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch (PC also has Hanns-G HL227 & Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers)
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.

Last edited by RBBrittain; 11-26-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #4

May 2011

It's false outrage, I don't know anybody who bought a launch day PS4 and rushed home so he could play his audio CDs on it. Nobody cares, especially not the younger demographic who buy consoles.

Im sure they will add it in later and 99% of owners will continue not playing audio CDs on their console.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #5

Apr 2011
by the sea

I understand the desire for the end all be all ultimate it plays it all machine, but I don't understand the desire to throw all past tech out when new comes into play, not saying the OP did, but all the negativity to not be the ultimate machine... its sad. But if everyone complaining is chucking their old tech, lets have those addresses. I'm sure some people would appreciate a vintage piece of gaming history like the PS3/Xbox360 or an ancient 3D Blu-ray player.

Not hating, I just don't mind having a few pieces of equipment on my entertainment center.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
AFAIK backwards compatibility is not required by either BD or DVD specs. Most BD (and DVD) players are backwards-compatible, of course, because BD & DVD each adopted the CD's physical format (5"/120mm optical discs); only laser wavelengths, disc formats and software differ. Still, the BD logo alone does not guarantee DVD playback, nor does the DVD logo alone guarantee CD playback. (Indeed, BD & DVD players aren't even required to read all discs of their own formats; most DVD-Audio discs aren't readable by most DVD players, and reportedly the Xbox One won't read recordable BDs.)
yup, it does not cost much to add but it is not required by the formats.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Canada

We couldn't have discussed this is in all the ps4 threads? I hate to be that guy but I'm being THAT guy right now.
Home Theater Setup: Blu-ray player and a TV.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecalm_7 View Post
I understand the desire for the end all be all ultimate it plays it all machine, but I don't understand the desire to throw all past tech out when new comes into play, not saying the OP did, but all the negativity to not be the ultimate machine... its sad. But if everyone complaining is chucking their old tech, lets have those addresses. I'm sure some people would appreciate a vintage piece of gaming history like the PS3/Xbox360 or an ancient 3D Blu-ray player.

Not hating, I just don't mind having a few pieces of equipment on my entertainment center.
agree, not because I want a lot of junk but because at the end of the day if an other tool is better for the job I would use that and , at least in my experience, a multi-tool is always better. I also don't get this outrage even more since Sony said they will add all that crap, but they were busy focusing on gaming until now. So what is the big deal with using what ever you are using now for A/V until it is added. I bought a PS4 to play next generation games that are running at 1080p.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology