Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Blu-ray)
$26.34
12 hrs ago
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 12-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK
Default Ikarie XB-1 (Voyage To The End Of The Universe)

I have the DVD of this 1957 Czech sci-fi classic but IMO it deserves a blu-ray release - with the original Czech ending and not the soppy Americanised one. But I cannot find any news of a BD release.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of this film coming out on blu--ray?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #2

Aug 2011

http://nfa.cz/en/e-shop/films/?a=18267
Old 07-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #3

Sep 2013
Prague
Default Ikarie XB 1 - Czech release

Some info about Czech Blu-ray release from 04/2017 if someone interested:
  • Digitally restored from 4K
  • 88 minutes Uncut Version
  • Region free (ABC)
  • Original aspect ratio 2.35:1 and original Czech audio 2.0
  • English and French subtitles on the main film + English on extras
  • Short booklet in Czech and English about restoration, reception...
  • Extras: trailer, before and after restoration, 3 thematic short films
  • Front and back cover in the profile
From the Blu-ray review 07/2017: "Ikarie XB 1 is one of the best outer space movies ever, and surely the most thoughtful made before Kubrick’s film."

You can find copies on ebay. Or if someone wants little cheaper, PM me.

Trailer to restored version:

Last edited by Jospef; 08-30-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jospef View Post
You can find copies on ebay. Or if someone wants little cheaper, PM me.
Why are you charging so much???
http://www.terry-posters.com/search?...ikarie&x=0&y=0
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Sep 2013
Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admira View Post
Why are you charging so much???
Ebay fees... I sell for 42 $ if you PM (already sent to two members here), which is little less than your link.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Aug 2011

Direct order to US from NFA costs €20,5 including shipping. You can use https://transferwise.com/us/ for cheaper bank transfer.

NFA contact: tomas.fojtik@nfa.cz
Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Mar 2012
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jospef View Post
2 Blu-ray discs: first with film, second with extras
Are you sure it's 2 discs? Why did my copy end up being one disc with film and extras on it?
Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #8

Nov 2010
Pittsfield, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
Are you sure it's 2 discs? Why did my copy end up being one disc with film and extras on it?
It's one disc. I own the NFA.cz blu-ray as well.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:42 AM   #9

Mar 2012
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #10

Sep 2013
Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post
Sorry for not correct info about the discs, but I had it from this review, where they said (when you translate it by google):
The current edition is divided into two discs. The first contains the film itself, accompanied by English and French subtitles. [...] the bonus material found on the second disc.

So the reviewer had to have some "testing, preview edition" or something.
Thanks given by:
qw0aszx (08-30-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Was able to navigate the NFA site and order this, but it would not allow me to pay for it. It said the order was "complete," but I couldn't find any option to process the payment. Do they send an invoice? ??? I wrote and asked them, but thought someone here might be able to help as well.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

Nov 2010
Pittsfield, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
Was able to navigate the NFA site and order this, but it would not allow me to pay for it. It said the order was "complete," but I couldn't find any option to process the payment. Do they send an invoice? ??? I wrote and asked them, but thought someone here might be able to help as well.
They should send you an email in a day or so from Thomas Fotjik telling you how to make a bank transfer to their bank. You can find his name and email within their website page.
Thanks given by:
Professor Echo (09-09-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Can I ask how your purchase turned out? I ran across this thread by accident and this movie has me intrigued...wondering what you thought of it.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonski View Post
Can I ask how your purchase turned out? I ran across this thread by accident and this movie has me intrigued...wondering what you thought of it.
It's in my TO WATCH pile, but I saw a DVD of it many years ago and loved it. At that time I was friends with critic Glenn Erickson (aka DVD Savant) and he loaned me his copy. He is quite the champion of the film and is far more eloquent about its virtues than I am, so you might want to at least glance at his review while contemplating a purchase (being aware of potential spoilers). I'll also chime in and report back after I've watched it.

IKARIE Review
Thanks given by:
lemonski (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #15
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
It's in my TO WATCH pile, but I saw a DVD of it many years ago and loved it. At that time I was friends with critic Glenn Erickson (aka DVD Savant) and he loaned me his copy. He is quite the champion of the film and is far more eloquent about its virtues than I am, so you might want to at least glance at his review while contemplating a purchase (being aware of potential spoilers). I'll also chime in and report back after I've watched it.

IKARIE Review
Thanks. I like his reviews, but I won’t risk any spoilers - would rather try it as a blind buy...B&W Cinemascope sci-fi sounds right up my alley. Look forward to hearing your report
Thanks given by:
Professor Echo (10-03-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonski View Post
Thanks. I like his reviews, but I won’t risk any spoilers - would rather try it as a blind buy...B&W Cinemascope sci-fi sounds right up my alley. Look forward to hearing your report
I decided to move the title to the forefront of my stack and watched it last night. I won't go into detail and potentially spoil a first time viewing, but let me say that it is a very good film on several levels and I think an innovative one that reminded me quite a bit of the later concept for the wondrous German scifi television series RAUMPATROUILLE ORION and all the various incarnations of STAR TREK. It's humanist science fiction more than technology driven, but there is still an inherent imagination to the latter that keeps it from becoming static. It's well written and exceedingly well directed and the beauty of the Blu disc only enhances the brilliant widescreen compositions and the unique score and sound effects.

Sorry to be so generic, but I think it's a film best introduced to with as fresh a viewing experience as possible. Suffice to say, I highly recommend it.
Thanks given by:
djvaso (10-05-2017), lemonski (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:

Sorry to be so generic, but I think it's a film best introduced to with as fresh a viewing experience as possible. Suffice to say, I highly recommend it.
Thanks, that's absolutely perfect, I'm kind of itching to see it now. But I just ordered it and realised I now have to do the bank transfer and wait for it to ship from the Czech Republic. Didn't think it through very well
Thanks given by:
Professor Echo (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #18

Nov 2007

I simply bought it on ebay. Paid a bit more probably but it took me about 5 seconds. Secure payment with Paypal.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #19
Power Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
I decided to move the title to the forefront of my stack and watched it last night. I won't go into detail and potentially spoil a first time viewing, but let me say that it is a very good film on several levels and I think an innovative one that reminded me quite a bit of the later concept for the wondrous German scifi television series RAUMPATROUILLE ORION and all the various incarnations of STAR TREK. It's humanist science fiction more than technology driven, but there is still an inherent imagination to the latter that keeps it from becoming static. It's well written and exceedingly well directed and the beauty of the Blu disc only enhances the brilliant widescreen compositions and the unique score and sound effects.

Has RAUMPATROUILLE ORION ever received a commercial release (that's English friendly)?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #20
Power Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
I simply bought it on ebay. Paid a bit more probably but it took me about 5 seconds. Secure payment with Paypal.
Probably what I should have done, in hindsight. But Ebay was twice the price of nfa.cz, and cheapness overtook me...I now realize that the fees on a bank transfer in CZK are going to make it look like a bargain

Last edited by lemonski; 10-05-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International