Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Misery (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$11.76
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$5.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-
Default The Official Cinema Guild Thread

Cinema Guild Blu-ray Releases

Reviewed

Last edited by SimBelm; 04-11-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-

Tsai Ming-liang's latest masterpiece "Stray Dogs" has just been acquired by Cinema Guild.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Cinema Guild has acquired Tsai Ming-liang's Stray Dogs. With that and Lav Diaz's Norte: The End of History, CG have quite an impressive roster this year.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Cinema Guild has acquired Tsai Ming-liang's Stray Dogs. With that and Lav Diaz's Norte: The End of History, CG have quite an impressive roster this year.
My two most anticipated for 2014, they've certainly been stepping it up. Especially with other interesting acquisitions such as Viola, The Last Time I Saw Macao, Cousin Jules, and What Now? Remind Me. I hope we see a bigger ratio of Blu-ray to DVD this year.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Manakamana as well.

Last edited by SimBelm; 01-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Power Member

Oct 2008

Nice thread.

I ordered Leviathan back in November but ImportCDs never got any stock in. I noticed that B&N only offers the title through 3rd party sellers. Not sure if this is revealing something of CG's distribution or of the retailer's stocking decisions.
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:The Little Foxes (1941 Wyler), The Court Jester (1955 Frank/Panama), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Foreign films that need to be on blu-ray:
Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)

Avatar = For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943, Wood)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Terrific director with a hugely original style. I will immediately purchase Stray Dogs on Blu-ray. I believe that it will be the first English-language Blu-ray, or any Blu-ray, release of a Tsai Ming-Liang film.

I also hope that his older works appear on Blu-ray. I have six of his films in my library and they are all very special.

The Wayward Cloud is utterly atmospheric. Some of the dance sequences are incredibly original.

Face I have on a top-notch release from France. Contrary to what some critics have written in America, the film is sensational. Laetitia Casta is mesmerizing. This film begs to be seen on Blu-ray.

There is also a top-notch French DVD release of Good Bye, Dragon Inn that makes the U.S. DVD look like VHS. Top film!

From The Wayward Cloud:

Pro-B
Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-

Thanks for the home video info Pro-B. So far I only own two of his releases. First is The Wayward Cloud on UK DVD which looks great and comes with a nice interview. Then I also have the Taiwanese Blu-ray of Vive l'Amour which I believe is the only Blu-ray release he's had so far, it looks utterly gorgeous and has decent English subs.

I'm really hoping for The Hole to get a Blu-ray release, the DVD release could look a lot better.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2012
Canada

I've thought about making this thread a few times but never got around to it. Cinema Guild are really one of the best distributors of contemporary films. Unfortunately, I don't own any of these releases yet, but I would like to get my hands on Leviathan and Museum Hours soon.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #9

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_260 View Post
I've thought about making this thread a few times but never got around to it. Cinema Guild are really one of the best distributors of contemporary films. Unfortunately, I don't own any of these releases yet, but I would like to get my hands on Leviathan and Museum Hours soon.
Yeah I thought after the news of Stray Dogs it was about time for a thread, I think I'll do one for New Wave Films as well. They sound like good choices Brandon, Leviathan will probably be my first Blu-ray purchase from them.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2012
Canada

The one major disappointment I've had with Cinema Guild so far is that they didn't give The Day He Arrived blu-ray treatment. That's my favorite of the very few Hong Sang-soo films I've seen. I do hope Norte gets a blu-ray release and I hope it gets a theatrical release here like some of the other recent Cinema Guild titles have.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Terrific director with a hugely original style. I will immediately purchase Stray Dogs on Blu-ray. I believe that it will be the first English-language Blu-ray, or any Blu-ray, release of a Tsai Ming-Liang film.
Pro-B:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Vive-L...Blu-ray/22267/

Also would be nice to keep this thread going so it can go up on those sticky threads.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBelm View Post
Thanks for the home video info Pro-B. So far I only own two of his releases. First is The Wayward Cloud on UK DVD which looks great and comes with a nice interview. Then I also have the Taiwanese Blu-ray of Vive l'Amour which I believe is the only Blu-ray release he's had so far, it looks utterly gorgeous and has decent English subs.

I'm really hoping for The Hole to get a Blu-ray release, the DVD release could look a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBaby View Post
Pro-B:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Vive-L...Blu-ray/22267/

Also would be nice to keep this thread going so it can go up on those sticky threads.
Thank you for the note, guys

I completely forgot about this release. Unfortunately, I do not have it in my library.

The Taiwanese studio that releases plenty of upscales, BitWel, apparently has released a few early films as well.

Pro-B
Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #13

Sep 2010
Antwerp, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBaby View Post
+ 1

I currently own two Cinema Guild blu-rays. (Marwencol & Leviathan.)
And I've ordered two more : Museum Hours & the Turin horse.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #14

Jul 2012
Scottish Highlands
-

Cousin Jules is now available for pre-order at Amazon.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #15

Mar 2012
united states

Good to see this thread SimBelm and I thank you, I have subscribed.

Last edited by jeloid; 04-03-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Finally got around to looking for this thread.

So far, I've got one CG title: The Turin Horse, which is astonishing. Just keeping my eye out for a good price on some others. I've watched three other titles on Netflix: Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Natural Selection, and Neighboring Sounds. The first I loved and want to pick up on BD; the second I liked a lot, and will probably pick up as well; the third I thought was OK, but not something I'd likely want to watch over again.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #17
Power Member

Oct 2008

FYI - You can pick up Cousin Jules for $19.61 during DVDPlanet's sale.
US/UK films that need to be on blu-ray:The Little Foxes (1941 Wyler), The Court Jester (1955 Frank/Panama), Thunderheart (1992, Apted) , Lone Star (1996, Sayles)

Foreign films that need to be on blu-ray:
Raise The Red Lantern (1991, Zhang), The Best of Youth (2003, Giordana), Still Life (2006, Jia), 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Mungiu)

Avatar = For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943, Wood)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

PRESS RELEASE:

Quote:
CINEMA GUILD ACQUIRES THOM ANDERSEN’S LANDMARK DOCUMENTARY “LOS ANGELES PLAYS ITSELF”

Plus, three additional films by Andersen: “Red Hollywood,” “Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer” and “Reconversao”

“Red Hollywood” to receive theatrical premiere next month, nearly 20 years after completion.

NEW YORK, NY— Cinema Guild announced today the acquisition of U.S. distribution rights to four renowned films – never before released on home video or digital – by filmmaker Thom Andersen, including his landmark documentary “Los Angeles Plays Itself.”

Originally released in 2003, “Los Angeles Plays Itself” is Andersen’s fascinating film essay on the tangled relationship between the movies and their fabled hometown. Kenneth Turan, writing in the LA Times, has called it “the best documentary ever made about Los Angeles.” This remastered and re-edited version will be released on home video and across all digital platforms in the fall.

“Red Hollywood” (1996), also newly remastered and restored, will receive its theatrical premiere – nearly 20 years after it was made – on August 15, 2014 in New York at the Film Society of Lincoln Center, followed by a home video and digital release. Working from extensive original research, this revelatory documentary reconsiders the films produced by the victims of the Hollywood blacklist between the 1930s and 1950s.

Andersen’s classic early film, “Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer” (1975) is at once a biography of Muybridge, a re-animation of his historic sequential photographs, and an inspired examination of their implications on film and media. A restored 40th anniversary edition will be released on home video and digital platforms in 2015.

“Reconverso” (2012), Thom Andersen’s latest film, is a captivating documentary exploring the work of the often-controversial Portuguese architect Eduardo Souto de Moura—winner of the 2011 Pritzker Prize. It will be released digitally in 2015.

The deal was negotiated by Ryan Krivoshey of Cinema Guild with director Thom Andersen.

The Cinema Guild is a distributor of independent, foreign and documentary films, whose recent releases include Lav Diaz’ “Norte, The End of History, Stephanie Spray and Pacho Velez’s “Manakamana” and Jem Cohen’s “Museum Hours.” Upcoming releases include Joaquim Pinto’s “What Now? Remind Me,” Tsai Ming-liang’s “Stray Dogs,” Corneliu Porumboiu’s “When Evening Falls on Bucharest or Metabolism” and Sergei Loznitsa’s “Maidan.”
Pro-B
Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #19
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14344

Quote:
The Cinema Guild has officially announced that it will release on Blu-ray Stephanie Spray and Pacho Velez's critically acclaimed documentary Manakamana (2013). The release will be available for purchase on August 19th.

Official synopsis: From the producers of Leviathan, comes a stunning new journey, an exhilarating documentary that takes place entirely in the sky. High above Nepal's lush, mountainous landscape, a cable car carries pilgrims, villagers and the occasional American tourist to an ancient Hindu temple. For centuries, devoted followers had to undertake an arduous multi-day trek to reach the shrine of the wish-fulfilling goddess Manakamana. Today, the trip takes just under 10 minutes. Filmed entirely inside these cable cars as they glide over fog-enshrouded peaks and remote villages, Manakamana captures the conversations of its passengers personal exchanges, anecdotes, shared observations on the landscape below and emerges with a rich, vibrant view of Nepal, a land of ancient traditions and rituals on the brink of a technologically-powered future.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary with filmmakers Stephanie Spray and Pacho Velez
Additional cable car rides
Theatrical Trailer
Trailers from the Sensory Ethnography Lab
Booklet featuring an essay by Dennis Lim
Pro-B
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Blu-ray Insider

Sep 2007
New York

Follow up on Thom Andersen press release - Los Angeles Plays Itself will be available on Blu-ray and DVD September 30th
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors