Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #1

Jun 2006
Default Blu-Ray meeting next week. Fox titles and "key partner" announcement

Interesting.

http://w.hdbeat.com/2006/08/23/blu-r...ust-31-at-ifa/

Old 08-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2006

How clutch would it be if the "key partner" announcement was Universal? In all probability I don't think it will be, but that would definitely be clutch.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2006

I'm very interested in seeing the titles that Fox is going to launch... I also want to know who this new 'partner' is. And I know this is a far fetched one, but maybe Apple will announce that they are going to start shipping BD drives in their newer computers.
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #4

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL
Default I'll try to get my contact at Sony to talk !!!

This evening, I'll contact my insider at Sony and find what I can about this "key partner announcement" We'll see. I let you know what I'll know !

Jim

Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPullan View Post
This evening, I'll contact my insider at Sony and find what I can about this "key partner announcement" We'll see. I let you know what I'll know !

Jim

Thanks. The sooner we can put the speculation down and get concrete facts, the better.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2003
California

Looking forwawrd to Fox titles. I hope they deliver by year end.

If there are more BD titles by year end than HD DVD, it will certainly show a trend that will be disturbing to the HD DVD fanboys.

Heh

It is so weird, I have an HD DVD player and it is fine. But this rabid support of HD DVD over Bluray still confounds me
---
Content is the key. See the stats

Old 08-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

This is exciting! Let us know what you find out if you can Jim

Old 08-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Power Member

Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloyd View Post
If there are more BD titles by year end than HD DVD, it will certainly show a trend that will be disturbing to the HD DVD fanboys.
yeah, except if they continue producing crappy BD titles like it's been untill now, then it's a lot more disturbing to all of us, BD supporters.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #9

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvi View Post
yeah, except if they continue producing crappy BD titles like it's been untill now, then it's a lot more disturbing to all of us, BD supporters.
Exactly. Quantity would be nice but let's start with quality.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2003
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvi View Post
Indeed. Though the more we here the more it seems that VC-1 or H.264 will be used on Disney, Warner and probably Paramount releases. So the image quality fiasco will stay with the Sony encoded discs with any luck.
---
Content is the key. See the stats

Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvenFlipper View Post
I'm very interested in seeing the titles that Fox is going to launch... I also want to know who this new 'partner' is. And I know this is a far fetched one, but maybe Apple will announce that they are going to start shipping BD drives in their newer computers.
Hmm, that would be pretty freakin sweet. What you have me thinking even more about Apple, is what if they announce software for easy H.264/MPEG4 encodes for movies? Hmmmm. It's plausible, heh, seeing how they want to push their highly adopted H.264/MPEG4 format.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #12

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL
Default Sketchy Information

SONY is being tight lipped about who the "key partner" is. My contact as well as other SONY staff will not be priveleged to that information until after the Press Conference, then it will be Public. The conference is being held in Germany. my contact will 'try' to squeeze out who it is. This person believes it might be a partnership with Universal Studios, which negoitiations have been underway for the past few weeks. Well see soon !!!

Jim

Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
Power Member

Jul 2006

Quote:
Indeed. Though the more we here the more it seems that VC-1 or H.264 will be used on Disney, Warner and probably Paramount releases. So the image quality fiasco will stay with the Sony encoded discs with any luck.
Agree. Except the fact that Sony, theoretically THE MOST interested party, is stubbornly using MPEG2 on SL is disturbing as well. They can't be that ignorant not to know MPEG2 on SL (espeically with PCM eating lots of space) is vastly inferior to VC-1 or MPEG4 or H.264. What gives?

Do they really think consumers and espcially early adopters will swallow anything they throw at them(us)? Are they dumb enough to continue dong that? I mean, something is seriously wrong with this picture, pun intended

Has Sony grown so big and burocratic that it can't handle its own products and left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing?
Who let the RoboCop out like that? Or Fifth Element? Who was the genious behind the idea of using uncompressed sound on 25GB discs with mpeg2 codec? Someone who couldn't to the simple math or thought BD buyers wouldn't tell the difference? Come on, releasing movie in HD, and screwing up PQ for sound, for god's sake it's a movie! Not that scratchy and dirty masters help there either.

Pardon for the rant, I am really pissed off on this whole mess. I've waited so long for HiDef dvds

Old 08-24-2006, 08:01 PM   #14

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPullan View Post
SONY is being tight lipped about who the "key partner" is. My contact as well as other SONY staff will not be priveleged to that information until after the Press Conference, then it will be Public. The conference is being held in Germany. my contact will 'try' to squeeze out who it is. This person believes it might be a partnership with Universal Studios, which negoitiations have been underway for the past few weeks. Well see soon !!!

Jim
Jim you're going to give people heart attacks.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazar View Post
Jim you're going to give people heart attacks.
LOL!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #16

Jan 2005

Universal would really be one of the biggest bombshells against HD-DVD to date. It really is about the only remaining big thing out there that Blu-ray hasn't been able to get. Yes, there are some technical and pricing hurdles to overcome, but they are things that will need to be worked through. The addition of the last holdout major studio would be very significant for those who are considering buying into Blu-ray as it would offer (basically) 100% studio support for Blu-ray.

"Gee, I can get ANY major studio movie on Blu-ray and no Disney (read: Pixar) on HD-DVD? I'll take Blu-ray!"

No solid word yet - guess we play the Blu-ray game... otherwise known as waiting.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #17

Aug 2006

Quote:
But Sony discs have been getting better, right? That's at least the trend I saw with most recent reviews.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #18
Banned

Aug 2004
Seaattle

I doubt the partner is Universal

However either way you slice it if the studios are the ones the decide the what the consumers have access to then in my eyes they have no foundation in which to stand on if/when people begin to bootleg their films.

Frankly the studios have been the most disappointing facet of this format battle with their partisanship. If a format is superior then it should win even with a level playing field for content. If Blu-Ray wins because of the studio politicking then it is WE that have lost.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #19
Power Member

Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shido View Post
But Sony discs have been getting better, right? That's at least the trend I saw with most recent reviews.
Yeah, they are geting better, but I find comments about mpeg2's "potential which isn't fully used" rather alarming That Codec is what, 10 years old?
Anyway, what's more important is that despite of getting beter, at twice the hardware price, they're still no match for HD DVD... Sux

Old 08-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #20

Jul 2006

14 years old...!
Current Blu Ray Collection: 50 disks

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology