Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Road to Bali $13.02 (4 hours left)
Soon: Gator ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4)
$29.99
Destiny 2 (PS4)
$24.88
Call of Duty (PS4)
$19.88
Prey 2 (PS4)
$19.99
The Evil Within 2 (PS4)
$32.00
Destiny 2 Collector's Edition (PS4)
$149.99
Everybody's Golf (PS4)
$19.96
Akiba's Beat (PS4)
$18.33
Wolfenstein II (PS4)
$59.99
Star Trek: Bridge Crew VR (PS4)
$29.50
WWE 2K18 (PS4)
$79.84
Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind (PS4)
$55.78
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation

Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia
Default PS2 aspect ratio question

I've had a PS2 for a long time but have never had it connected to any of my 16:9 displays. I'm just wondering are the mid to late games released on the console presented in 16:9? or are they in 4:3? For obvious reasons the earlier tittles no doubt were made to be played in 4:3 because 4:3 TVs were the mainstream standard back when the console launched, but how about the more later games?

I ask because I was playing King Kong: The Official game of the Movie on the PS2 earlier today and in the options it can be adjusted to 16:9.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2010

Yeah, most of the later games have the option, though all of them I ever played came in 4:3 by default. It opens the picture to fill a 16:9 display, however, a thin black frame remains around the entire picture. I assume this was to compensate for possible over scan since that was a bigger issue when the games were produced.
PSN ID: GamerBoy14

VIZIO E420d-A0 42-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart 3D HDTV
250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System
Old 03-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Apr 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Here is the list of ps2 games that can do various things like progressive scan, 16:9, and 1080i. The things like progressive scan and 1080i require component cables, but they are worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ith_HD_support
Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

I'm thinking of using component cables and optical digital audio cable for my ps2

will I notice a difference?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

Apr 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

You will notice a massive difference in picture and sound quality. When I got component cables for my ps2 I decided to never ever go to composite again because of how much worse it looks.

This link has photos which shows you how much better component looks.

http://naraku.net/2006/12/13/ps2-com...-cable-factor/
Old 04-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

This isn't PS2 but I remember that Goldeneye 64 had a 16:9 option, my friend had a PS2 and they I believe that one of the early Grandtheft Auto games had 16:9 and DTS.
HDMI cable CBC
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! In home theater and in life, itís my firm belief that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! Canadian hero "Your like a gas leak, we don't see you, we don't smell you, but your silently killing us all." PSN: blurules
Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
You will notice a massive difference in picture and sound quality. When I got component cables for my ps2 I decided to never ever go to composite again because of how much worse it looks.

This link has photos which shows you how much better component looks.

http://naraku.net/2006/12/13/ps2-com...-cable-factor/
The first game I used component cables on were FF XII and yeah I noticed a significant difference
Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Power Member

Jul 2013

I still have and use a PS2, in fact I just hooked it up to my new TV the other day and was looking for a game to test it.

I pulled a game off the shelf called Primal, I think Sony published it. Sony games tended to use more A/V options.

A lot of games have 16x9 view and some have 480p mode (a smaller group has both).

I used to use a web site that tracked A/V game options, but it's gone now (link is dead).

Anyway, back in day some people checked into PS2 16x9 mode and decided it was 'fake'.

For example, in God of War games it was found that turning on 16x9 just cut off the top and bottom of screen (with game protecting the HUD).

Some people were upset when they found out that 16x9 was giving less not more.

Anyway, now that everyone has larger 16x9 TVs (compared to then) it's probably a moot point now.

Use component cables and check settings for every game you run, play around with settings to see what they really do.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 05-31-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #9
Power Member

Jul 2013

This link still works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ith_HD_support
Old 06-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #10

Mar 2010
Scotland

Interesting thread. Last year i hooked up my old PS2 to my 42" plasma using components and was surprised i got a really good picture. But on the subject of widescreen, i remember setting Legend of Spyro to it, but noticed the top and bottom was cropped off and image zoomed in to achieve the ratio, and in fact gave a worser picture than 4:3.

That link is handy, so that's a list of all games that support native 16:9? I notice Legend of Spyro isn't on there at all, so we know it can't do proper widescreen!

I have my PS2 hooked up to my Yamaha receiver, and annoyingly the picture cuts out when the game loads up, so i always miss the 'PlayStation 2' logo after the start up screen, before the picture comes back on about 10 seconds later. Wish there was a way to fix this.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
I've had a PS2 for a long time but have never had it connected to any of my 16:9 displays. I'm just wondering are the mid to late games released on the console presented in 16:9? or are they in 4:3? For obvious reasons the earlier tittles no doubt were made to be played in 4:3 because 4:3 TVs were the mainstream standard back when the console launched, but how about the more later games?

I ask because I was playing King Kong: The Official game of the Movie on the PS2 earlier today and in the options it can be adjusted to 16:9.
Actually that is somewhat false. Sony and Microsoft and even Nintendo all pushed Progressive Scan and 16x9 out the gate with those consoles. Sony was trying to sell the PS2 as a premium DVD player just like they sold the PS3 as a premium Blu Ray player. It always had really good DVD functionality despite the myth it was a terrible player. If you had a remote control it was heaven for DVD's. It supported progressive scan out of the box if you had component cables. Games did take a little longer but I think the big blockbusters offered at least progressive scan and 16x9 early on. Sure it improved as time went on but they were trying to use it to help push HD Tv sales back in the day too, remember Sony was a TV company first Video Game company third or fourth. Things have flipped in recent years.
It was really only the models made in 2000-2001 that couldn't do progressive scan without converters. But all models after the Xbox and Game Cube launched could.

I had component cables for my Game Cube and it was very cool playing Metroid Prime in 16x9 when my friends all were playing Madden on PS1 in 4x3. It wasn't mainstream by any means but the enthusiasts of the day sure were into it. I even had a friend who bought an Xbox JUST for the Progressive scan DVD functionality.

You do need the component cables no matter what though. I have mine and while I rarely use my PS2 anymore I wouldn't at all if I didn't have those.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation