Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Madden NFL 10 (PS3)
$9.55
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$9.98
Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3)
$13.93
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.39
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$13.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City (PS3)
$14.99
Rogue Warrior (PS3)
$27.89
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.28
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Disney Infinity 2.0 - Toy Box Starter Pack (PS3)
$34.94
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai
Default Pulse Elite Vs Gold Headset - Which one is good?

I was going to buy the Pulse headset but I stopped. The thing is that I read several bad reviews about the pulse. Horrible battery life and many people say that these Pulse ones crack pretty easily and no matter how good you handle them they tend to break at last in like 5 to 7 months. There are even videos on youtube where people showed there cracked sets and I also read negative reviews about the same on Amazon and on forums.

Strangely here in Dubai Gold headset is more expensive than the elite plus. The elite plus are 80 USD and the Gold headset is 120 USD and this is the special price for me from the shopkeeper because I am his regular customer so I bought the 'Gold' headset. I know you must be saying that what is the point of asking if I have bought the headset. I just want to read your comments and suggestions. So what you guys think which one is better? Gold or Pulse?
PSN ID: Corleone3142

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Giuseppe Sulfaro near the end credits - (Malèna)

Last edited by kashif; 04-25-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

I have the Pulse Elite. I can't really compare the battery life since this is my first wireless headset. I used to use regular bluetooth earpieces that only last 3-4hrs per charge, but I am getting around 6-7hrs of use on the Pulse Elite before it needs charging.
I never used headphones before because my ears would get too warm after a half hour, but with these, my ears are really comfortable. My only complaint about it is the padding for the head looks nice, but is actually insufficient as it squeezes my head and starts to hurt after an hour..so I either readjust every so often or wear it tilted forward.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

The Gold is fantastic. Audio quality better too. I'd keep getting transmission burps on the old ones, but not the golds. There are some really good reviews on the gold on youtube. There was a comparative one I found that was done by a buy in the recording industry.

You should be able to order online - say from Amazon. I'm in Australia and got them from Amazon.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Had the Pulse.

PS Gold is more comfortable for longer gaming sessions.
PS Gold lasts twice as long as Pulse battery life.
PS Gold is over-ear, noise cancellation.

Having some time with the PS Gold now, I have 0 regrets.
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BackfromSanity

2016 Game of the Year - The Last Guardian

PS4 Pro 2TB SSD ~ Xbox One 4TB WD ~ Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD
Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psybits View Post
I have the Pulse Elite. I can't really compare the battery life since this is my first wireless headset. I used to use regular bluetooth earpieces that only last 3-4hrs per charge, but I am getting around 6-7hrs of use on the Pulse Elite before it needs charging.
I never used headphones before because my ears would get too warm after a half hour, but with these, my ears are really comfortable. My only complaint about it is the padding for the head looks nice, but is actually insufficient as it squeezes my head and starts to hurt after an hour..so I either readjust every so often or wear it tilted forward.
Thanks for the reply. Yes my problem is the same that I dont like headphones which are too tight or heavy. So far Gold is comfortable to wear. I watched a movie and also played games but didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
The Gold is fantastic. Audio quality better too. I'd keep getting transmission burps on the old ones, but not the golds. There are some really good reviews on the gold on youtube. There was a comparative one I found that was done by a buy in the recording industry.You should be able to order online - say from Amazon. I'm in Australia and got them from Amazon.
Can you please post that youtube link? Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Had the Pulse.

PS Gold is more comfortable for longer gaming sessions.
PS Gold lasts twice as long as Pulse battery life.
PS Gold is over-ear, noise cancellation.

Having some time with the PS Gold now, I have 0 regrets.
Thanks for the reply bro. So now I am glad to buy the Gold instead of pulse. My question is that how is the audio quality of Gold as compared to the pulse? I am not a big 'bass' fan. I prefer clarity of sound instead of rumbling. So far I am loving the sound of my Gold but I need to know that how it is as compared to the pulse since you have both.

"Time has passed, and I have loved many women and as they've held me close, and asked me if I'll remember them, I've said, "Yes, I'll remember you."
But the only one I've never forgotten, is the one who never asked:.............Malena..."

Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Guys I have two questions:

1) I want to know something. There are two "on" buttons (1 & 2). They say in the manual that the 2 is for more bass and 1 is regular. However I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. Is there a difference or am I doing something wrong between switching 1 to 2?

2) Also I downloaded the companion app from store but I need to know that shall I use it or not? I mean if the default 2 profile is good or if I should customize it? and can I revert back to default if I customize it?

Please reply. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Bass or LFE in general is better with the Pulse by comparison but there are just too many downsides to that headset. Biggest one is weight.

To answer yours questions

1st, yes there is a bit of a difference in Bass output when you select "2" I prefer to keep all sound on that setting. The bass isn't powerful & or ear shattering, it's a great mix & doesn't drown out any highs.

2nd, I think you can set it back to default through the companion app but if I'm wrong then I wouldn't change the other settings period. "2" can be replaced with custom mixes but I have found from past experience with the Pulse (same thing) every game sounded off. BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, GTA V etc. compared to my 5.1 speaker set-up. That said, I think its possible to copy the "2" default settings & put it on "1" so you can experiment around with the app without worry of losing the best sound.
PSN = derb

Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

I find the level of detail in the sound is so much better in the Gold. I watched Gravity on the gold and it made it so easy hearing all the radio chatter. It was a great experience. Bass wise, not sure...
Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
I find the level of detail in the sound is so much better in the Gold. I watched Gravity on the gold and it made it so easy hearing all the radio chatter. It was a great experience. Bass wise, not sure...
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Bass or LFE in general is better with the Pulse by comparison but there are just too many downsides to that headset. Biggest one is weight.

To answer yours questions

1st, yes there is a bit of a difference in Bass output when you select "2" I prefer to keep all sound on that setting. The bass isn't powerful & or ear shattering, it's a great mix & doesn't drown out any highs.

2nd, I think you can set it back to default through the companion app but if I'm wrong then I wouldn't change the other settings period. "2" can be replaced with custom mixes but I have found from past experience with the Pulse (same thing) every game sounded off. BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, GTA V etc. compared to my 5.1 speaker set-up. That said, I think its possible to copy the "2" default settings & put it on "1" so you can experiment around with the app without worry of losing the best sound.
Thanks for the detailed reply bro What I read is that you can only apply custom settings to the "2" profile and you cant change or copy anything to "1" profile so please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly even after your detailed reply I am still confused to apply custom settings to "2" profile or not. Did you change settings of your "2" profile? I mean the ones where you can select bass etc according to your levels? I searched the net and forums but I didnt get anything on this topic at all. I mean what are the best custom settings or if one should just leave the "2" profile as it is and never change it.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the detailed reply bro What I read is that you can only apply custom settings to the "2" profile and you cant change or copy anything to "1" profile so please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly even after your detailed reply I am still confused to apply custom settings to "2" profile or not. Did you change settings of your "2" profile? I mean the ones where you can select bass etc according to your levels? I searched the net and forums but I didnt get anything on this topic at all. I mean what are the best custom settings or if one should just leave the "2" profile as it is and never change it.

Hmm. Ok.. I wasn't sure about the ability to change setting "1" must have mixed that up with the ability to calibrate "2" any way you want.

One advantage the Pusle has is the ability to hold 5 or 6 customs. I tried most of them on the Pusle but none on the PS Gold. I have the app but decided to look at detailed YouTubes of the interface. Other then specific game modes, the others like "movies" "music" is still there. I just really don't think its worth changing personally. "Game" default sounded best using the Pulse when comparing that to all the customs including game tailored ones. "2" on the PS Gold default has a bit more bass & sounds a bit more clearer then my Sennheiser's. Kinda shocked me a bit. IMO I wouldn't mess with that sound but if you wanna try others, just look for the default or current setting within the app to make sure that you can get it back.
PSN = derb

Old 04-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Hmm. Ok.. I wasn't sure about the ability to change setting "1" must have mixed that up with the ability to calibrate "2" any way you want.

One advantage the Pusle has is the ability to hold 5 or 6 customs. I tried most of them on the Pusle but none on the PS Gold. I have the app but decided to look at detailed YouTubes of the interface. Other then specific game modes, the others like "movies" "music" is still there. I just really don't think its worth changing personally. "Game" default sounded best using the Pulse when comparing that to all the customs including game tailored ones. "2" on the PS Gold default has a bit more bass & sounds a bit more clearer then my Sennheiser's. Kinda shocked me a bit. IMO I wouldn't mess with that sound but if you wanna try others, just look for the default or current setting within the app to make sure that you can get it back.
Thanks a lot bro for the detailed reply. I highly appreciate your continuous support. Best Regards.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Power Member

Jun 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Harlock415 Send a message via AIM to Harlock415 Send a message via Yahoo to Harlock415

I got the Gold when Amazon had it for $69 and it sounds great, relatively comfortable, but I got big ears.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post
I got the Gold when Amazon had it for $69 and it sounds great, relatively comfortable, but I got big ears.
So far I am very happy with the performance. The most important thing for me is the comfort and also the battery life. You can put it on for hours without worrying of charging it again and like I said its very very comfortable. I got big ears too

Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010

So the Pulse Elite made me give up on headsets (too heavy, couldn't use it for more than a few minutes at a time), but I'm considering getting the Gold, how do they compare weight wise? and is it comfortable?
[Show spoiler] can I forget I have it on?
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/TalalHmd.png

Display: Samsung KS9500 65"
Player: Samsung UBD-K8500
AV Receiver: Marantz SR6010
Old 11-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
So the Pulse Elite made me give up on headsets (too heavy, couldn't use it for more than a few minutes at a time), but I'm considering getting the Gold, how do they compare weight wise? and is it comfortable?
[Show spoiler] can I forget I have it on?
They are very comfortable as compared to elites and they do have a very long battery charge. They feel a little tight when opened out of the box but after a day or two they become very comfortable. Yes you will feel that you have something on your head but if you have used elites than you will feel the difference and ease. Honestly for me they are the best and the audio is top notch.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3