Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
No Holds Barred (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Default Holiday Classics we wish on BD

I did a search and didn't find anything about this. We already have a Christmas Story and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on Blu Ray, but what about any other Holiday movies you enjoy that aren't on Blu Ray? I was hoping to get Scrooged, but since Paramount jumped the fence I will have to wait to. I would like to see what they could do with the Frank Capra classic It's A Wonderful Life. Not sure who has the rights to this but I bet it could be amazing. As for something more recent I am going with Home Alone and Elf. I thought Will Ferrel did a great job as Buddy, not to mention Bob Newhart as Papa Elf. The first Home Alone was the best of the bunch IMO. Anyone else have a Holiday Classic they would like to see in Blu?
Cliff
Old 11-20-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Power Member

Sep 2007
The Tragic City

The CBS Alcoa Hour live-action TV musical The Stingiest Man In Town featuring Basil Rathbone as Scrooge and music by Tutti Camarata---best musical adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, even apart from the fact that it's CBS, it probably doesn't exist anymore...but at least they reissued the soundtrack on CD last year.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN

I would love to get the original Black and White version of A Christmas Carol. Aside from the animated ones they made with the Flintstones and Mickey Mouse this is my favorite version of this classic story.
Cliff
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cain View Post
The CBS Alcoa Hour live-action TV musical The Stingiest Man In Town featuring Basil Rathbone as Scrooge and music by Tutti Camarata---best musical adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, even apart from the fact that it's CBS, it probably doesn't exist anymore...but at least they reissued the soundtrack on CD last year.
From basilrathbone.net:

Showcase Productions Inc., the copyright owner of "The Stingiest Man in Town," continues to search for a film or kinescope copy of that program. So far, NBC has not been able to locate a print or negative in its vaults; also no copy has been located at the Library of Congress. At one time Showcase Productions was very close to obtaining a kinescope from a former Alcoa executive, but negotiations fell through. If the company is able to obtain a kinescope, it will use state of the art equipment and digital enhancement technology to restore the film, and make videotapes commercially available. But at the present time no videotape of "The Stingiest Man in Town" exists.
http://www.basilrathbone.net/faq.htm#stingiest
Old 11-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post
I would love to get the original Black and White version of A Christmas Carol.
If you mean the Alastair Sim (there are earlier ones, but we'll assume your meaning of "the Original"), VCI puts out a new edition every year by the clock--They're a little PD shack, it's their one annual moment of glory.

This year's latest annual pimp-my-PD has 2-disk, commentary, restored print, and choice of normal, colorized, or cropped "Tilt-and-scan" wide option
And thus you can be fully armed to participate in any debate about who was the ultimate hall-of-fame Scrooge, Alastair Sim or George C. Scott.

(Or Henry Winkler, if you're so inclined.)

Last edited by EricJ; 11-20-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2007
The Tragic City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
From basilrathbone.net:

Showcase Productions Inc., the copyright owner of "The Stingiest Man in Town," continues to search for a film or kinescope copy of that program. So far, NBC has not been able to locate a print or negative in its vaults; also no copy has been located at the Library of Congress. At one time Showcase Productions was very close to obtaining a kinescope from a former Alcoa executive, but negotiations fell through. If the company is able to obtain a kinescope, it will use state of the art equipment and digital enhancement technology to restore the film, and make videotapes commercially available. But at the present time no videotape of "The Stingiest Man in Town" exists.
http://www.basilrathbone.net/faq.htm#stingiest
Niiiiiiiiice. Thanks for that news, RUR. It's good to know it hasn't been forgotten. Stingiest has been a family tradition for decades, even though we've all been relying on cassette recordings of our original soundtrack LP; most of the surviving clan have never seen the production, but generations of us can sing along with the score. I don't know what demand might exist for the property, but I could personally guarantee at least 2 dozen pre-orders.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
If you mean the Alastair Sim (there are earlier ones, but we'll assume your meaning of "the Original"), VCI puts out a new edition every year by the clock--They're a little PD shack, it's their one annual moment of glory......you can be fully armed to participate in any debate about who was the ultimate hall-of-fame Scrooge, Alastair Sim or George C. Scott....
Shoot, I've always thought the ultimate was Jim Backus as Mr. Magoo

VCI also puts out some fine '30s Max Fleischer animation.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cain View Post
Niiiiiiiiice. Thanks for that news, RUR. It's good to know it hasn't been forgotten. Stingiest has been a family tradition for decades, even though we've all been relying on cassette recordings of our original soundtrack LP; most of the surviving clan have never seen the production, but generations of us can sing along with the score. I don't know what demand might exist for the property, but I could personally guarantee at least 2 dozen pre-orders.
My pleasure! Damn greedy studio execs....

Personally, I'd be looking for Wonderful Life, Christmas in Connecticut and Holiday Inn.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America