Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.22
1 hr ago
Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Suspended

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca
Default Northern Exposure

I just recently heard that Northern Exposure had been available fairly recently as a Stream on Net Flix and/or Amazon Instant Video.

NX has been available as DVDs for quite a while, but has been thoroughly and rightfully pilloried by NX Fans because of Universal's awful but common practice of not including the Original Music in a lot of their releases (Quantum Leap is another example). They did the first Season (Eight Episodes) of NX right with the Original Music but after that, most of the Original Music was replaced by awful generic Muzak.

The Music on the Original Northern Exposure is pretty fantastic and amounts to an actual Character in the Stories and Editorial Commentary of the Story Arcs... so its pretty awful that that Character was removed from the Stories.

Here's hoping that if NX is released on Blu-Ray, that they take the time and money to Do The Right Thing and give us NX fans the Original and Actual Northern Exposure as it was Meant to be Experienced!

Anyone have any information?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Mods, please move to Wish List section.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2013

Universal HD used to show it in HD so HD masters do exist.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
Suspended

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Mods, please move to Wish List section.
Hey GoofNut: How do I do that?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
Suspended

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
Do you know if they had the Original Music? I really doubt it, but I can hope.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Do you know if they had the Original Music? I really doubt it, but I can hope.
The episodes I saw did and Universal HD also kept the original aspect ratio (4:3). Unfortunately, Universal HD hasn't broadcast the show in a long time and Universal doesn't seem interested in releasing old TV shows on blu-ray. The only exception is Universal Japan who released Columbo on blu-ray in Japan and will release Knight Rider in November. Knight Rider used to be shown on Universal HD too so maybe there is a slight chance that the other old TV shows broadcast on Universal HD (Northern Exposure, The Equalizer, and Quantum Leap) will get a release in Japan. The UK is another possibility since Airwolf got released in April.

Last edited by whiteberry; 08-15-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
Suspended

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Really? The Original Music? That would be awesome. They replaced so much of it on the DVD Seasons, they sometimes seem like different episodes.

As an example: There's the one about the sick Tree that Maurice cuts down and then feels bad about it. The original ends with the Byrds: Turn Turn Turn, and it's really moving and uplifting. All that Byrdsian Pete Seegery/Book of Ecclesiastes stuff (I'm not Religious in the least). The DVD version has some awful Muzak and it just ruins an amazing show.

Maybe the High-Def Stream of those episodes were just copied from the original cans. Maybe because they weren't for sale, they didn't have to license all the toons the same way they would for a DVD.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #8

Apr 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
Wow
Old 06-07-2016, 03:43 AM   #9

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Really? The Original Music? That would be awesome. They replaced so much of it on the DVD Seasons, they sometimes seem like different episodes.

As an example: There's the one about the sick Tree that Maurice cuts down and then feels bad about it. The original ends with the Byrds: Turn Turn Turn, and it's really moving and uplifting. All that Byrdsian Pete Seegery/Book of Ecclesiastes stuff (I'm not Religious in the least). The DVD version has some awful Muzak and it just ruins an amazing show.

Maybe the High-Def Stream of those episodes were just copied from the original cans. Maybe because they weren't for sale, they didn't have to license all the toons the same way they would for a DVD.
I'm not sure how the streaming rights would differ from broadcast rights. NX is likely re-broadcast in syndication on television with its original music. The problem is is that they never secured future home video rights for the music, and they didn't want to pay out for the dvd's. I'm guessing the same situation would exist if it hit streaming.

The good part about it is that the German limited edition wooden box released has all of the original music. However, it's pricey (150 euros) and limited to 3k copies. It would of course require a region free player if you aren't in europe.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

I would gobble this up on bd and stream it regularly if I could. What an incredible show this was for most of its run. I have the DVDs but I rarely watch any of my DVDs anymore.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #11
Banned

Jun 2015
CA, America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
I would gobble this up on bd and stream it regularly if I could. What an incredible show this was for most of its run. I have the DVDs but I rarely watch any of my DVDs anymore.
I own the series from season 3 to the final season 6. Northern Exposure peaked in quality in season 5. The quality of the shows with this series is unfortunately all over the place and season 1-2 are pretty awful. Season 6 is not that good either. Mixed in there are some truly great American shows.

All my DVDs have been ripped and I stream them to my Apple TV with no visible quality loss. So convenient. My Blu-Rays will likely never get ripped. I also only rip the best episodes, basically the ones I will watch again.

The people that complained about mostly no original music are wrong. Most of the episodes on DVD have the original music. See the more knowledgeable Amazon reviews.

I hope it makes it to Blu-Ray as the DVD quality is not very good. Would look great in Blu-Ray. Disgusting and disgraceful how these now anti-American studios continually refuse or take forever to release great American classic TV shows on Blu-Ray. Most TV series from the 70s, for example, are not available in Blu-Ray.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #12

Feb 2011

Great news about the German set. Gonna check it out.

EDIT: It has dropped to €135
Old 08-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #13
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mph View Post
Great news about the German set. Gonna check it out.

EDIT: It has dropped to 135
I'd love to buy the German Set but I don't want the last Season.

Even bought my Ma all the USA Seasons on DVD and stopped at Season 5 on purpose. Could've sworn a random DVD release from another part of the world had the original music intact.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #14

Feb 2011

They're releasing a standard DVD set in Germany for slightly cheaper price.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #15

Nov 2012
WA, USA

Man, a set with the original music. Must have. Anyone own this care to comment on the PQ/is it re-encode PAL?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #16

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpolini View Post
Man, a set with the original music. Must have. Anyone own this care to comment on the PQ/is it re-encode PAL?
PQ is great! I see no evidence of PAL speedup. (Voices sound fine).
I'm using a region free Panny Blu ray player in the US, and bought the Box set.
There have been reports of errors in some places on some discs. I can confirm a few glitches - but a few glitches here and there are a small price compared to having the original soundtrack!
Turbine was very aware of the glitches and offered replacements.
With the new set (coming out this month) I expect Turbine will have fixed all the errors.
Blufans VIP
Thanks given by:
albabe (01-12-2017), harpolini (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #17

Nov 2012
WA, USA

This is from an amazon review of the german set. Interesting notes on hardcoded subtitles for certain scenes.

I thought I would post some info for English-speaking Northern Exposure fans who may be interested in this box set. Some key things to know are:
-As Mentioned above, all music from the original TV airings is included
-The English audio track is available for all episodes
-No closed-captions are available in Either language
-where there are hard-coded subtitles ( a few places When characters speak a foreign language), They are only in German (so there is the German logo in opening credits)
-All DVD menus and episode names are in German only
I-it's a region 2 DVD, in case region-locking is an issue with your DVD player
-So includes all the deleted scenes, bloopers, etc. from other DVDs
Thanks given by:
albabe (01-12-2017)
Old 10-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #18

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
PQ is great! I see no evidence of PAL speedup. (Voices sound fine).
I'm using a region free Panny Blu ray player in the US, and bought the Box set.
There have been reports of errors in some places on some discs. I can confirm a few glitches - but a few glitches here and there are a small price compared to having the original soundtrack!
Turbine was very aware of the glitches and offered replacements.
With the new set (coming out this month) I expect Turbine will have fixed all the errors.

Did you get replacements from Turbine?

I have issues on every disc. Normally the end of the 2nd ep and start of the 3rd ep on each disc.

I had to rip it on my computer in end. But even the PC has issues reading it and I have to try several times.
Thanks given by:
C.C. 95 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #19

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:

I have issues on every disc. Normally the end of the 2nd ep and start of the 3rd ep on each disc.

I had to rip it on my computer in end. But even the PC has issues reading it and I have to try several times.
I have not tried getting replacements. I haven't had the TIME to watch them to FIND the errors!
(This is the real downside to buying series discs. I only just found out that one of the seasons of X Files discs are bad)
So, EVERY disc had issues for you? Did you try multiple players and computer?
So the episodes had no issues Once you were able to rip it to the computer?
Well, I still think it is worth it to have them with the original music despite issues. I have planned all along to rip them and put them on Blu ray discs (because who wants that many DVDs for this?)
I have a rip of the regular U.S. DVDs. So what I may do is edit the problem episodes and replace to the faulty minutes with the the ones from the U.S. Disc.
(Not the whole ep, just the 5 or so minutes that are faulty).
Seems like some work...but I already had the series from Canadian TV rips that I spent time reframing and remastering! I've been there before!
If you find any news of people with a list of the problem discs that would be great. I just can't jam through 6 Seasons of the show right now just to check for errors!
I did check an episode someone mentioned a problem with (it may have been you) and it did have a few points when it would freeze. If I knew for sure which discs were problematic I would contact Turbine for replacements. But I have no idea if it is one disc or all, or just a handful.
I also have no idea if there is any time limit or moratorium on getting replacement discs. I am also curious as to whether the new slimmer edition that just came out on October 14th has fixed the issues.
https://www.amazon.de/Ausgerechnet-A...7374320&sr=8-1
Blufans VIP

Last edited by C.C. 95; 10-25-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #20

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:

UPDATE: I contacted Turbine (info@turbine.de) and explained the situation, and sent them a copy of my Amazon.de receipt with the email.
Within 24 hours they responded and are sending me replacement discs!!!
GREAT customer service!!
Blufans VIP
Thanks given by:
88mph (10-30-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
amazing stories, great tv, northern exposure