Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Night at the Museum 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
6 hrs ago
Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99
10 hrs ago
The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99
6 hrs ago
Tomorrowland (Blu-ray)
$8.99
6 hrs ago
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Blue Velvet (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Default Strand Releasing

Quote:
Strand Releasing was formed in 1989 and its goal has been to fuse quality art films with commercial product. Strand Releasing was honored with a ten and twenty year retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Other honors have included retrospectives at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, the Seattle International Film Festival, the Provincetown Film Festival and the Eastman-Kodak House in Rochester, New York.

Strand Releasing has produced or executive produced ten feature films including Gregg Araki's THE LIVING END, Richard Glatzer's GRIEF, Tommy O'Haver's BILLY'S HOLLYWOOD SCREEN KISS, Todd Verow's FRISK, Robert Lee King's adaptation of Charles Busch's PSYCHO BEACH PARTY, Brian Sloan's I THINK I DO, the films of Bruce LaBruce and Paul Cox's INNOCENCE.

Strand Releasing’s current slate includes Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s Palme D’or winner UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES, Francois Ozon’s HIDEAWAY, Joao Pedro Rodrigues’ TO DIE LIKE A MAN, Craig McCall’s THE LIFE & WORK OF JACK CARDIFF: CAMERAMAN, Pablo Trapero’s CARANCHO and Claude Miller’s I’M GLAD MY MOTHER IS ALIVE.

Strand has distributed the works of such renowned international artists as Manoel de Oliveira, Lino Brocka, Jon Jost, Terence Davies, Gaspar Noé, Lodge Kerrigan, Cindy Sherman, Nigel Finch, Raoul Ruiz, John Maybury, Ferzan Ozpetek, Jacques Audiard, Benoît Jacqout, Hal Hartley, Nina Menkes, Jon Moritsugu, John Duigan, François Ozon, Lou Ye, Marcelo Pineyro and John Curran.

Strand Releasing also has a vibrant home media library which has over 300 titles from its 22 years in business.

Strand is headquartered in Culver City, California and is run by business partners and founders, Jon Gerrans and Marcus Hu.
UPCOMING RELEASES:

REVIEWED

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-25-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
unjichan (09-06-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Astral City: A Spiritual Journey Blu-ray

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15262

Quote:
Strand Releasing is bringing Astral City: A Spiritual Journey to Blu-ray, starring Renato Prieto, Fernando Alves Pinto, and Rosanne Mulholland. The Blu-ray will be released on November 18th.

Based on the best-selling book by medium Chico Xavier, the film tells the story of André Luiz, a successful doctor who experiences an enlightening spiritual awakening after his death. When he wakes up in the spiritual world, he embarks on a new journey of self-discovery and transformation, from his first days in a dimension of pain and suffering, until when he is rescued and taken to the spiritual Astral City. With magnificent art direction and special effects that have never been seen before in a Brazilian production, and featuring an amazing score by composer Philip Glass, the film brings to the screen what life is like at the Astral City that hovers in the upper layers of the Earth's atmosphere.

Specs:

2.0 PCM Audio

1080p HD

English Subtitles

Bonus Features:

Making-Of (SD)

Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Other Strand Releasing Trailers (HD)
Pro-B
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

I can't say I'm familiar with the studio or any of the titles unfortunately.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Feb 2010

it's an interesting label with some choice films & directors (Noé comes to mind -I'd love if they gave I Stand Alone a decent bluray as the dvd is sorely lacking).

While I wasn't a huge fan of The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears when i saw it cinematically I do hope it gets a good release as that's one gorgeous looking film.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombivish View Post
it's an interesting label with some choice films & directors (Noé comes to mind -I'd love if they gave I Stand Alone a decent bluray as the dvd is sorely lacking).

While I wasn't a huge fan of The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears when i saw it cinematically I do hope it gets a good release as that's one gorgeous looking film.
I have it preordered. Strand hasn't been "as good" as Synapse...but each Blu isa step up from DVD.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
Thanks given by:
zombivish (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

I hope they do a Psycho Beach Party blu-ray. DAY ONE!
Thanks given by:
ghostsofjoy (05-21-2015), Kap6289 (11-16-2014), zombivish (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #7

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
I hope they do a Psycho Beach Party blu-ray. DAY ONE!
OMG! Yes! That needs to happen.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

I'm still peeved their Refuge was DVD-only. I get that it was little-seen but it's 2014. Get it together.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Power Member

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

After reading the DVD Beaver review of Refuge I was hoping for a Blu-ray release. Maybe a UK label might acquire the UK rights and release it on Blu-ray?
Film holy grail titles: Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll, Coda, Death Carries a Cane, Death Steps in the Dark, Death Will Have Your Eyes, Edge of the Axe, Killer Without a Face, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Next of Kin, The Night Brings Charlie, Phobia, Puzzle, Too Scared to Scream

TV holy grail titles: Bosch, Cardinal, Falcon Crest: Season 4, The Hitchhiker, Knots Landing, Lady Blue, Leg Work, A Man Called Hawk, Midnight Caller, Freddy's Nightmares, Red Shoe Diaries, Stranger Things
Old 11-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Wetlands Blu-ray

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15462

Quote:
Strand Releasing is bringing Wetlands to Blu-ray, starring Carla Juri and Christoph Letkowski. The Blu-ray will be released on January 13th, 2015.

An unapologetically sexy and subversive comedy based on the best-selling novel by Charlotte Roche. When a bizarre shaving accident lands rebellious teen Helen (Carla Juri) in the hospital, she develops an unlikely bond with her male nurse (Christoph Letkowski) who she seduces with stories of her sexual adventures while using her illness to try and reunite her divorced parents. Both shocking and hysterically funny, WETLANDS is a unique roller coaster of erotic thrills.

Specs:

5.1 DTS-HD MA Audio

1080p HD

Optional English Subtitles

Bonus Features:

Alternate Artwork

Original Theatrical Trailer

Pink-Band Trailer

International Trailer

Other Strand Releasing Trailers
Pro-B
Old 11-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #11
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Love Is the Devil: Study for a Portrait of Francis Bacon Blu-ray

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15403

Quote:
Strand Releasing is bringing Love is the Devil to Blu-ray, starring Derek Jacobi, Daniel Craig, and Tilda Swinton. The Blu-ray will be released on January 20th, 2015.

John Maybury's searing portrait of the English painter Francis Bacon (Derek Jacobi) at the height of his fame in the 1960s is one of the nastiest and most truthful portraits of the artist-as-monster ever filmed. It's the story of the colossally self-absorbed painted and his self-destructive younger lover, George Dyer (Daniel Craig), begins when Bacon awakens in his studio one night to discover a burglar on the premises. Sizing up the thief as an appetizing piece of rough trade, Bacon makes a proposition: if the robber sheds his clothes and comes to bed with him, he promises, he can have anything he wants…in presuming to take you inside the mind and heart of a major artist, confronting the demonic aspect of the human condition, LOVE IS THE DEVIL, goes as far and as deep as any movie has dared.

Specs:

2.0 PCM Audio

1080p HD

English SDH Subtitles

Bonus Features:

Commentary with director John Maybury and actor Derek Jacobi

Original Theatrical Trailer

Other Strand Releasing Trailers
Pro-B
Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Banned

Feb 2014
QLD, Australia

Time they gave Show Me Love a Blu.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Expert Member

May 2013

Does anyone know if Wetlands will be Region Free?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Power Member

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Yeah, unfortunately most of their releases are still DVD only; but they have good stuff.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #15

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
Does anyone know if Wetlands will be Region Free?
Wetlands is region-free!
Also the review of the disc just got posted the other day. Really good marks on A/V.

WETLANDS REVIEW
Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 AM   #16
Expert Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffef View Post
Wetlands is region-free!
Also the review of the disc just got posted the other day. Really good marks on A/V.

WETLANDS REVIEW
Thanks for that. I will order it next time I place an order.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Just wanted to thank Strand. I won The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears in the giveaway and they sent me Wetlands by mistake. Then they turned around and also sent me the first title when they realized their mistake. So now I have two great titles to indulge myself in. Thanks Strand!
Thanks given by:
zombivish (01-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #18
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

PRESS RELEASE:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/str...gaile-20150311

Quote:
Strand Releasing has acquired all U.S. rights to "The Summer of Sangaile" from Films Distribution. Directed by Alanté Kavaïté, the film was selected to open this year's Sundance Film Festival, where it won the directing prize in World Cinema Dramatic Competition. The film was also an official selection for this year's Berlin Film Festival.

The film follows 17 year-old Sangaile (Julija Steponaityte) who, despite her fear of heights, is fascinated by stunt planes. At a aeronautical show near her parents' lakeside villa one summer, she meets a local girl, Auste (Aiste Dirziute), who lives her life to the fullest. As the two girls grow closer, Sangaile allows Auste to discover her most intimate secret, and in the process finds the one person that truly encourages her to try.

"This film captures a delicate coming-of-age tale, much like Lukas Moodyson's classic, 'Show me Love,'" said Jon Gerrans of Strand Releasing in a statement.

Strand plans to release "The Summer of Sangaile" late this summer.
Pro-B
Old 03-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #19

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombivish View Post
(Noé comes to mind -I'd love if they gave I Stand Alone a decent bluray as the dvd is sorely lacking).
I'd love that too. The DVD is shit.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:08 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

In 1995, Strand Releasing reissued the great cult film WHO KILLED TEDDY BEAR (1965) to art house theaters. I certainly wish that they would release a Blu-ray (or even a DVD) of the uncut theatrical version of the film. The film has never been released on commercial US home video (not even on VHS). The British PAL DVD is definitely missing footage.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors