Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.90
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Post (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Default Flicker Alley

Quote:
Flicker Alley was born out of a passion for cinematic history and a desire to bring filmmakers and films from out of the past to new audiences and renewed recognition. The company was founded in 2002 by Jeffery Masino who drew on a lifelong enthusiasm and fascination with silent, classic, and independent cinema as well as on many years of experience in film and television production and post-production. A goal of Flicker Alley is to contribute to the on-going interest in our film heritage through the creation of new, high-quality digital editions for broadcast and through home video distribution.

Each Flicker Alley publication is the culmination of hundreds of hours of research, digital restoration, graphic design, music composition and scoring. Collectively, they reflect the creativity, expertise, and shared passion of many talented collaborators. The Flicker Alley brand has grown to enjoy national and international critical acclaim and is regularly featured in annual "Best Of" lists. The company is a 2009 National Society of Film Critics Film Heritage Award recipient for publishing "rare early U.S. and foreign silent film." The name "Flicker Alley" was the nickname of Cecil Court, London W.C.2., the business center of the British film industry during the silent film era.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-23-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Thanks given by:
*PREACHER* (09-06-2014), erlinmeyer (09-06-2014), RipleyLV426 (09-07-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Illinois

Looks like The Hunchback of Notre Dame is missing. It belongs after We're in the Movies: Palace of Silents & Itinerant Filmmaking and before
Cinerama: Holiday.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2007
Canada
Buy.com

Ordered Mack Sennett and the Chaplin Mutuals. Can't wait.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Thank you, zbinks

Pro-B
Old 09-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Any chance of a late review of The Curtis Harrington Short Film Collection pro-b?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Any chance of a late review of The Curtis Harrington Short Film Collection pro-b?
This release actually isn't with me. It is with my colleague Brian Orndorf. I will ask him to see if we can post one

Pro-B
Thanks given by:
billyearle (11-06-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

I've watched the two feature-length documentaries and a couple of the shorts on the WE'RE IN THE MOVIES Blu-ray, and highly recommend the disc to anyone with any interest in silent cinema, independent filmmaking, movie theatres, local-regional moviemaking, or any combination of the above. Fascinating, often touching films with interesting subject material effectively presented.

Very nice picture quality, as well, although PALACE OF SILENTS looks like it's been upscaled from a good SD digital video original, and some of the shorts are just an SD transfer.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Flicker Alley is trying to start a MOD dvd program.
Hope they plan to release some of these classics on bd as well.
info here-- https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...-flicker-alley
Old 10-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Some already are on Blu-ray, or soon will be from other international distributors. This doesn't exactly seem the best way for FA to compete, especially when they hold the largest market.

Last edited by EddieLarkin; 10-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

I have supported a number of traditional Flicker Alley releases on DVD and blu-ray, but I really can't bring myself to support an MOD program. It just seems like a half-step on the way to streaming only.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

I trust many here would be more eager to pledge to this campaign if instead it was to remaster and release on Blu-ray one of those titles, say The Lost World?
Thanks given by:
davidsal (11-06-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

yeah it's a shame they aren't trying to raise money for quality bd releases.
I have to say MOD dvd from Flicker Alley doesn't interest me a whole lot either.
While I guess this news will be seen as good news by someone out there that simply wants a copy of the film, it really seems like they are very late for this sort of thing imo.
They should focus on blu-ray and HD streaming, and if they simply can't make enough money doing this, maybe it's time to throw in the towel.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Vertov should be on blu-ray, not MOD. Pass.
Thanks given by:
oildude (12-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Flicker Alley is trying to start a MOD dvd program.
Hope they plan to release some of these classics on bd as well.
One would assume, that if these are only coming on MOD DVD-R, they would not be coming to Blu-ray. They are probably for older DVD titles that have gone OOP.

Having said that, this is a poor idea, and not something that I will support. By all means, re-press titles on DVD if absolutely necessary, but MOD DVD-R is the lowest form of home media, and I certainly won't be supporting any initiative to produce more of them.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Yeah, that would probably help sell a few more copies too. I'm sure releases like these need all the help they can get.
Importcds has a good price on this set and is having a 10% sale, so I finally ordered this, since it was usually pricey elsewhere. Since this release came out, I had thought he was just an experimental filmmaker. I'm a fan of Kenneth Anger and had hoped to check this guy out eventually. Now I discovered he also directed some of my beloved odd-ball horror flicks as well, Queen of Blood (one of the only DVD-Rs I bought BTW)etc. Makes me even more interested to check him out. I haven't seen Devil Dog since I was a kid, will be interesting to look at that in a new context.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.

Last edited by billyearle; 11-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #16
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Cinerama: Seven Wonders of the World Blu-ray REVIEW

Pro-B
Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

I have the 2015 Flicker Alley promo calendar now, and here's the titles mentioned each month. I'm gonna list them all, though some will be redundant to announced/released titles.

Jan - "Images from select titles from Flicker Alley's Manufactured-On-Demand (MOD) DVD program, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection"

Feb - "Images from The Most Dangerous Game, Nanook of the North and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, all and more available to stream soon from www.FlickerAlley.com"

Mar - "Ivan Mosjoukine in the Albatross serial The House of Mystery, presetned by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection. (Coming soon to DVD)"

Apr - "Image from N.Y., N.Y. (1958) from Masterworks of American Avant-Garde Experimental Film 1920-1970, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

May - "William Gillette in the previously thought lost 1916 edition of Sherlock Holmes, presented by Flicker Alley, Cinémathèque Française, and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

Jun - "Image from M.L. Gunzberg Presents Natural Vision Three-Dimension from 3-D Rarities, presented by Flicker Alley and the 3-D Film Archive. (Coming soon to Blu-ray)"

Jul - "Lillian Gish and Henry B. Walthall in The Birth of a Nation (1915), directed by D.W. Griffith, presented by Flicker Alley and the BFI, in association with Photoplay Productions. (Coming soon to Blu-ray)"

Aug - "Charlie Chaplin with Edna Purviance in 1915's By the Sea from Chaplin's Essanay Comedies, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

Sep - "Image from The Lost World (1925), directed by Harry O. Hoyt with technical direction by Willis H. O'Brien, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection, part of the Manufactured-On-Demand (MOD) DVD program (MD3005 - DVD-R), and coming soon in a brand-new Blu-ray edition.

Oct - "Images from the 1963 spectacle The Best of Cinerama, presented by Flicker Alley and Cinerama Inc. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

Nov - "Mabel Normand, as featured in The Mack Sennett Collection, Volume One (FA0035), films from which are soon to be available in a DCP format for theatrical rentals."

Dec - "Images from French Masterworks: Russian Émigrés in Paris 1923-1929, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection in association with the Cinémathèque Française. (FA0029 - DVD)"

----

To my recollection, this is the first confirmation of upcoming Blu-ray releases of:

- Sherlock Holmes (1916)

- The Birth of a Nation (1915) - presumably a 100th Anniversary edition w/ bonus unique from the 2011 Kino release

- Chaplin's Essanay Comedies

- The Lost World (1925)

- The Best of Cinerama (1963)
Thanks given by:
jlk5844 (04-06-2015), movieben1138 (04-05-2015), parklife (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I've never heard of a film from 1963 entitled BEST OF CINERAMA. Was this released in the US? Was it later retitled as CINERAMA'S RUSSIAN ADVENTURE?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
[Show spoiler]I have the 2015 Flicker Alley promo calendar now, and here's the titles mentioned each month. I'm gonna list them all, though some will be redundant to announced/released titles.

Jan - "Images from select titles from Flicker Alley's Manufactured-On-Demand (MOD) DVD program, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection"

Feb - "Images from The Most Dangerous Game, Nanook of the North and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, all and more available to stream soon from www.FlickerAlley.com"

Mar - "Ivan Mosjoukine in the Albatross serial The House of Mystery, presetned by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection. (Coming soon to DVD)"

Apr - "Image from N.Y., N.Y. (1958) from Masterworks of American Avant-Garde Experimental Film 1920-1970, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

May - "William Gillette in the previously thought lost 1916 edition of Sherlock Holmes, presented by Flicker Alley, Cinémathèque Française, and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

Jun - "Image from M.L. Gunzberg Presents Natural Vision Three-Dimension from 3-D Rarities, presented by Flicker Alley and the 3-D Film Archive. (Coming soon to Blu-ray)"

Jul - "Lillian Gish and Henry B. Walthall in The Birth of a Nation (1915), directed by D.W. Griffith, presented by Flicker Alley and the BFI, in association with Photoplay Productions. (Coming soon to Blu-ray)"

Aug - "Charlie Chaplin with Edna Purviance in 1915's By the Sea from Chaplin's Essanay Comedies, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

Sep - "Image from The Lost World (1925), directed by Harry O. Hoyt with technical direction by Willis H. O'Brien, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection, part of the Manufactured-On-Demand (MOD) DVD program (MD3005 - DVD-R), and coming soon in a brand-new Blu-ray edition.

Oct - "Images from the 1963 spectacle The Best of Cinerama, presented by Flicker Alley and Cinerama Inc. (Coming soon in a Blu-ray + DVD edition)"

Nov - "Mabel Normand, as featured in The Mack Sennett Collection, Volume One (FA0035), films from which are soon to be available in a DCP format for theatrical rentals."

Dec - "Images from French Masterworks: Russian Émigrés in Paris 1923-1929, presented by Flicker Alley and the Blackhawk Films Collection in association with the Cinémathèque Française. (FA0029 - DVD)"

----

To my recollection, this is the first confirmation of upcoming Blu-ray releases of:

- Sherlock Holmes (1916)

- The Birth of a Nation (1915) - presumably a 100th Anniversary edition w/ bonus unique from the 2011 Kino release

- Chaplin's Essanay Comedies

- The Lost World (1925)

- The Best of Cinerama (1963)
I'll be in for the Chaplin set. Wouldn't mind a steelbook to match the Mutual set.
You mean the movie lied?!
Thanks given by:
movieben1138 (04-05-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobla View Post
I've never heard of a film from 1963 entitled BEST OF CINERAMA. Was this released in the US? Was it later retitled as CINERAMA'S RUSSIAN ADVENTURE?
It's essentially a compilation film made up of previous Cinerama feature segments. http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/...erama/overview
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors