Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek: Enterprise: The Full Journey (Blu-ray)
£32.79
Mr. Robot: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
£9.38
The Atom Egoyan Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99
The Eiger Sanction (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£39.99
Play Misty for Me (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Ran (Blu-ray)
£9.99
Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
£17.99
Ashton: Rhapsody/The Two Pigeons: The Royal Ballet (Blu-ray)
£29.99
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel: Five Films by François Truffaut (Blu-ray)
£19.99
The Leos Carax Collection (Blu-ray)
£19.99
Star Trek Beyond 4K (Blu-ray)
£22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #1

Jun 2007
Croatia, Europe
United Kingdom The Eagle has Landed

The Eagle Has Landed Blu-ray

Anyone in Europe saw this one? I am very curious about PQ only, otherwise it is a masterpiece, of course, not like some incredibly stupid and boring Transformers (how for chrissake anyone can say it is a great film and yet make it a hddvd-myth?? ahh, hd Americans, bad taste, fellows in blu...).
Nice view from Orthanc inspite of theese psychotic trees.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 11-12-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #2

Sep 2007
Sussex UK

I have the Blu-Ray UK ITV "The Eagle Has Landed", and is very good quality.
Yes there is some grain, but overall a very pleasing HD transfer. A stereo track with some good pumping bass at times. 2:35:1 ratio , theatrical version, no extra's.

hope this helps
Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #3

Jun 2007
Croatia, Europe

thx a lot! yes, this pleases me indeed. no need for extras, no big deal of some grain, i expect to be like the wild bunch i bought recently... thx again!
Nice view from Orthanc inspite of theese psychotic trees.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I just noticed that shout has released this with the 131 min USA cut. This is the 135 min UK cut correct?'

edit....

er... I just noticed it says 118 min on the back cover. That is a typo right?

Last edited by #Darren; 05-13-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
I just noticed that shout has released this with the 131 min USA cut. This is the 135 min UK cut correct?'

edit....

er... I just noticed it says 118 min on the back cover. That is a typo right?
It is the same theatrical with extra scene version as on the ITV BD, so not the longer TV edit which was on the old Carlton and ITV 2 disk DVDs in the UK. That longer one was also restored in HD so pity it has never come to BD.

The Shout also has some of the extras from the later ITV 1 disk DVD including the short TV programme where the return to the village it was filmed in.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

Sep 2010
East Anglia, GB

The UK ITV Blu-Ray disc of the film is 2 Hours and 15 minutes long. (135 mins) The running time of 118 mins on the rear cover is wrong.

I've just bought it from Amazon UK for £5.70. The PQ is pretty good overall, sometimes it is really really good and other times it is a bit soft but it is definitely better than the DVD. It's about a 3.5 out of 5.0. No extras though.

The U.S Shout Factory release is the theatrical version as well like the UK one. I've also bought the UK region 2 Carlton special edition 2 disc DVD with the extended version of the film and the theatrical version. Lots of bonus features too. The PQ of the extended version on the DVD is surprisingly good and very watchable.

I have put all the discs together in the Bluray box, I thought that owning the UK discs would be the better option.

Last edited by Bourne1886; 11-16-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Banned

Jun 2010

Like most of the itv discs, its a nice honest master
Old 11-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Both actually feature the extended version of the theatrical version which IIRC is 2 minutes longer than the original theatrical as has one extra scene, which does help with plot continuity. This slightly longer version is also on the various DVD versions.

It only has a 2.0 stereo track whereas the theatrical on the old ITV 2 disk SE had a 5.1 mix as well.

The extended version was the extended US TV broadcast version which had a long prologue added and other scenes. This is in the DVD 2 disk SE and later 1 DVD reissue. It is discussed in the booklet which came with the 2 dusk SE.

Shout Factory on their RA locked US release have the extras from both the 2 disk SE (mainly made at time of original film release) and later 1 disk SE (the on location feature has appeared on ITV3), as were different. If you can play this is version to buy.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

Sep 2010
East Anglia, GB
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
Both actually feature the extended version of the theatrical version which IIRC is 2 minutes longer than the original theatrical as has one extra scene, which does help with plot continuity. This slightly longer version is also on the various DVD versions.

It only has a 2.0 stereo track whereas the theatrical on the old ITV 2 disk SE had a 5.1 mix as well.

The extended version was the extended US TV broadcast version which had a long prologue added and other scenes. This is in the DVD 2 disk SE and later 1 DVD reissue. It is discussed in the booklet which came with the 2 dusk SE.

Shout Factory on their RA locked US release have the extras from both the 2 disk SE (mainly made at time of original film release) and later 1 disk SE (the on location feature has appeared on ITV3), as were different. If you can play this is version to buy.
Hi,
I did think about buying the Shout version but I plumped for the Carlton DVD as it was about three quid and the BD £5.70 both with free postage as I have Prime. There are still quite a few extras on the Carlton DVD. The single disc Special Edition DVD in the UK with the white cover has the same extras as The Shout Factory version including The Revisited featurette, the Tom Mankiewicz featurette and a load of photo galleries not on the Shout one. Unless the features on the Shout Blu-Ray are in HD I'll just buy the UK SE Single Disc DVD to supplement my other UK discs. Also am I right in thinking the interviews on the Shout version aren't as long as the 40 minute ones on the Carlton 2 disc?

Is that right?

Last edited by Bourne1886; 11-16-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #10

Sep 2012
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne1886 View Post
Hi,
I did think about buying the Shout version but I plumped for the Carlton DVD as it was about three quid and the BD £5.70 both with free postage as I have Prime. There are still quite a few extras on the Carlton DVD. The single disc Special Edition DVD in the UK with the white cover has the same extras as The Shout Factory version including The Revisited featurette, the Tom Mankiewicz featurette and a load of photo galleries not on the Shout one. Unless the features on the Shout Blu-Ray are in HD I'll just buy the UK SE Single Disc DVD to supplement my other UK discs. Also am I right in thinking the interviews on the Shout version aren't as long as the 40 minute ones on the Carlton 2 disc?

Is that right?
Also been considering the Shout version. This site says region A and B but everywhere else seems to think region locked. Is the Shout definitely region B compatible?
Blu Ray Most Wanted: After Hours (Scorsese), Bringing Out the Dead (Scorsese), Femme Fatale (De Palma), Panic Room (Fincher), The Tenant (Polanski), Night Moves (Arthur Penn), Something Wicked This Way Comes (Jack Clayton), Someone to Watch Over Me (Ridley Scott), The Hitcher (Robert Harmon), The Parallax View (Alan J. Pakula), The Ghost and the Darkness (Stephen Hopkins), Young Sherlock Holmes (Barry Levinson), The Keep (Michael Mann), What Lies Beneath (Robert Zemeckis).
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey 6 View Post
Also been considering the Shout version. This site says region A and B but everywhere else seems to think region locked. Is the Shout definitely region B compatible?
My Oppo 93 definitely reads it as RA locked.
Thanks given by:
mikey 6 (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #12

Sep 2012
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
My Oppo 93 definitely reads it as RA locked.
Thanks for that - thought I'd better double check.
Blu Ray Most Wanted: After Hours (Scorsese), Bringing Out the Dead (Scorsese), Femme Fatale (De Palma), Panic Room (Fincher), The Tenant (Polanski), Night Moves (Arthur Penn), Something Wicked This Way Comes (Jack Clayton), Someone to Watch Over Me (Ridley Scott), The Hitcher (Robert Harmon), The Parallax View (Alan J. Pakula), The Ghost and the Darkness (Stephen Hopkins), Young Sherlock Holmes (Barry Levinson), The Keep (Michael Mann), What Lies Beneath (Robert Zemeckis).
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

I finally decided to get this and had a quick look at it earlier. However, I noticed a strange edit during the opening credits. Right after Jenny Agutter's name fades away and the camera moves past a castle with a flag, does everyone else's copy have a weird jump there? It sort of goes in slow motion too for a moment. I'm guessing this is on the original negative and not a glitch on my disc, but just wanted to check .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland