Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99
 
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99
23 hrs ago
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Blue Velvet (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default Film Movement Classics Discussion Thread




Film Movement Classics webpage







The Pillow Book (Peter Greenaway) - June 9, 2015

The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe (Yves Robert) - July 7, 2015

Francesco (Liliana Cavani) - September 1, 2015

Full Moon In Paris (Eric Rohmer) - October 20, 2015

The Marquise of O (Eric Rohmer) - October 20, 2015

Antonia's Line Blu-ray (Marleen Gorris) - April 19, 2016

The Best Intentions Blu-ray (Bille August) - June 7, 2016

Once Were Warriors Blu-ray (Lee Tamahori) - September 6, 2016

Kamikaze 89 Blu-ray (Wolf Gremm) - September 27, 2016

Violent Cop Blu-ray (Takeshi Kitano) - October 11, 2016

Boiling Point Blu-ray (Takeshi Kitano) - October 11, 2016

Ugly, Dirty and Bad Blu-ray (Ettore Scola) - November 1, 2016



[Show spoiler]FOREIGN MOVIES ALERT!

Right off the bat, I'd like to clear up one thing: it has been confirmed to me that these titles will also be released on blu-ray (see here
[Show spoiler]
).



Press release:

Quote:
FILM MOVEMENT LAUNCHES CLASSICS LABEL WITH
ERIC ROHMER RE-RELEASE AT FILM SOCIETY OF LINCOLN CENTER

March 19, 2015 (New York, NY) – Film Movement (http://www.filmmovement.com), the New York-based film distribution company, announces today the launch of Film Movement Classics, a new label the company will use to restore and re-release out of print but highly sought-after films from the recent and distant past alike. The first two films to see theatrical re-releases in vibrant HD restorations are Eric Rohmer’s acclaimed FULL MOON IN PARIS, screening at Film Society of Lincoln Center, and THE MARQUISE OF O, which will see a theatrical release in select cities alongside Jessica Hausner’s AMOUR FOU.
The new label, launching with four titles scheduled for release in 2015, is the latest evolution for Film Movement since Michael E. Rosenberg joined the company in 2014. “There are so many wonderful, important films that are not available in the US,” Rosenberg said. “Launching our Classics label allows us to expand how we can serve our audience. Our core business will remain with highly-acclaimed new independent films, but now we can also bring back favorite titles from decades ago, newly restored.”
FULL MOON IN PARIS is the 1984 relationship drama about a young woman balancing several romantic interests; called “the very best of Eric Rohmer” by the New York Times on its original release, the film opens April 17 at Film Society of Lincoln Center, part of the complete Comedies and Proverbs series – six films Rohmer made between 1980 and 1987, each based on a proverb of Rohmer’s own creation. Pascale Ogier, who would die tragically young just months after the film’s U.S. release, won Best Actress at the Venice Film Festival that year. Film Movement also premieres a brand new U.S. poster and trailer for the film Time Out London calls “elegant and incisive.” See both here.
With the March 18 theatrical release in New York (March 20 in Los Angeles) of Cannes Film Festival darling AMOUR FOU, Jessica Hausner’s meticulously executed observation of the love and death of writer Heinrich von Kleist, Film Movement also announces the release of Rohmer’s 1976 adaptation of von Kleist’s THE MARQUISE OF O, winner of the Special Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival that year. This classic period piece starring Bruno Ganz, called “witty, joyous and so beautiful to look at” by Vincent Canby of the New York Times, will screen in select arthouse theaters across the country alongside AMOUR FOU’s modern retelling of the end of von Kleist’s life. It will also stream on Fandor before releasing to wider On Demand platforms.
Other Film Movement Classics titles will include THE TALL BLOND MAN WITH ONE BLACK SHOE, Yves Robert’s 1972 blockbuster French comedy about a bumbling violinist mistaken for a secret agent, and Peter Greenaway’s THE PILLOW BOOK, the 1996 erotically-charged homage to calligraphy starring Vivian Wu and Ewan McGregor. Film Movement will release each restored title on DVD an Bluray, as well as include exclusive bonus content on each; THE PILLOW BOOK includes a newly-recorded director’s commentary from Greenaway. Home video release dates and additional special features for each titles will be announced as each release approaches.
“We are proud of the first several films we are able to restore and make available again, and we look forward to many more to come,” said Rosenberg.
http://reviewsbyamoslassen.com/?p=35297


Last edited by Scottie; 03-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (04-27-2016), GenPion (03-21-2015), Joeyseven (06-04-2015), movieben1138 (03-24-2015), noirjunkie (12-16-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
BobbyMcGee BobbyMcGee is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BobbyMcGee's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA
3058
206
Default

Great news! Thanks for sharing. Film movement has some wonderful films in their catalog. Glad to see these will be released on Blu-ray.
The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. -The Big Lebowski (1998)

HT: Sony XBR65Z9D, Denon AVR-X3300W, Emotiva XPA-3 (Gen3), Oppo 203 (region-free), Polk CSiA6 (center), Polk RTiA9 (x2), Polk FXiA6 (x4), SVS SB-2000 (sub), Roku Ultra, PS4, PS3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Subscribed to them for a while. Hopefully Blu will be a monthly send out as well.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
javi92 javi92 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dec 2013
3254
868
Default

Good news. Glad to see another distributor of foreign films. I had hoped Carlotta US would take up some slack, but they've been quiet for some months.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #5
erlinmeyer erlinmeyer is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
erlinmeyer's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
Minnesota
3392
310
19
570
566
8
10
Default

Never seem to find where the Blu-rays are on their site, just DVD and streaming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #6
pro-bassoonist pro-bassoonist is offline
Blu-ray reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
X
47
-
-
21
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Good news. Glad to see another distributor of foreign films. I had hoped Carlotta US would take up some slack, but they've been quiet for some months.
They won't be quiet

Pro-B
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
javi92 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 03:08 AM   #7
GenPion GenPion is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
GenPion's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
480
3
157
Default

This is excellent news. However, I was kind of hoping it would be a way to release the "best" catalog titles from Film Movement's main label on Blu-ray. I would love something like that to happen. They release a lot of great movies that have never seen a release on Blu-ray anywhere.

In fact, I would be thrilled if Film Movement switched to a subscription option where you get a monthly Blu-ray instead of a DVD. Having both options would be excellent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

The Pillow Book is coming to BD on June 9, according to VideETA.

The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe should arrive on July 7, according to Film Movement's page http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=417
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
1627
295
2
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlinmeyer View Post
Never seem to find where the Blu-rays are on their site, just DVD and streaming.
I don't see the bluray denotion either ... I let my membership to the film subscription series lapse
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

Indiewire's press release is a mess. Here's the more detailed one:

Quote:
FILM MOVEMENT LAUNCHES CLASSICS LABEL WITH
ERIC ROHMER RE-RELEASE AT FILM SOCIETY OF LINCOLN CENTER

March 19, 2015 (New York, NY) – Film Movement (http://www.filmmovement.com), the New York-based film distribution company, announces today the launch of Film Movement Classics, a new label the company will use to restore and re-release out of print but highly sought-after films from the recent and distant past alike. The first two films to see theatrical re-releases in vibrant HD restorations are Eric Rohmer’s acclaimed FULL MOON IN PARIS, screening at Film Society of Lincoln Center, and THE MARQUISE OF O, which will see a theatrical release in select cities alongside Jessica Hausner’s AMOUR FOU.
The new label, launching with four titles scheduled for release in 2015, is the latest evolution for Film Movement since Michael E. Rosenberg joined the company in 2014. “There are so many wonderful, important films that are not available in the US,” Rosenberg said. “Launching our Classics label allows us to expand how we can serve our audience. Our core business will remain with highly-acclaimed new independent films, but now we can also bring back favorite titles from decades ago, newly restored.”
FULL MOON IN PARIS is the 1984 relationship drama about a young woman balancing several romantic interests; called “the very best of Eric Rohmer” by the New York Times on its original release, the film opens April 17 at Film Society of Lincoln Center, part of the complete Comedies and Proverbs series – six films Rohmer made between 1980 and 1987, each based on a proverb of Rohmer’s own creation. Pascale Ogier, who would die tragically young just months after the film’s U.S. release, won Best Actress at the Venice Film Festival that year. Film Movement also premieres a brand new U.S. poster and trailer for the film Time Out London calls “elegant and incisive.” See both here.
With the March 18 theatrical release in New York (March 20 in Los Angeles) of Cannes Film Festival darling AMOUR FOU, Jessica Hausner’s meticulously executed observation of the love and death of writer Heinrich von Kleist, Film Movement also announces the release of Rohmer’s 1976 adaptation of von Kleist’s THE MARQUISE OF O, winner of the Special Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival that year. This classic period piece starring Bruno Ganz, called “witty, joyous and so beautiful to look at” by Vincent Canby of the New York Times, will screen in select arthouse theaters across the country alongside AMOUR FOU’s modern retelling of the end of von Kleist’s life. It will also stream on Fandor before releasing to wider On Demand platforms.
Other Film Movement Classics titles will include THE TALL BLOND MAN WITH ONE BLACK SHOE, Yves Robert’s 1972 blockbuster French comedy about a bumbling violinist mistaken for a secret agent, and Peter Greenaway’s THE PILLOW BOOK, the 1996 erotically-charged homage to calligraphy starring Vivian Wu and Ewan McGregor. Film Movement will release each restored title on DVD an Bluray, as well as include exclusive bonus content on each; THE PILLOW BOOK includes a newly-recorded director’s commentary from Greenaway. Home video release dates and additional special features for each titles will be announced as each release approaches.
“We are proud of the first several films we are able to restore and make available again, and we look forward to many more to come,” said Rosenberg.
http://reviewsbyamoslassen.com/?p=35297
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

I might have to pick up Pillow Book...again.

Depending how "newly recorded" the Greenaway bit is.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #12
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
1627
295
2
5
Default

Quote:
Film Movement will release each restored title on DVD an Bluray, as well as include exclusive bonus content on each; THE PILLOW BOOK includes a newly-recorded director’s commentary from Greenaway. Home video release dates and additional special features for each titles will be announced as each release approaches.
oops typo there...

a commentary track! holy shit!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

Tall Blond Man With One Black Shoe (1972) is now available for pre-order on Amazon. Release date: July 7

http://www.amazon.com/Tall-Blond-Bla...90054&sr=1-136


  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

Next up is Liliana Cavani's Francesco, starring Mickey Rourke!

Release date: September 1

http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=437

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

Eric Rohmer's THE MARQUISE OF O and FULL MOON IN PARIS will be released on blu-ray on October 6.


http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=444
http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=443
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:37 AM   #16
BobbyMcGee BobbyMcGee is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BobbyMcGee's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA
3058
206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Eric Rohmer's THE MARQUISE OF O and FULL MOON IN PARIS will be released on blu-ray on October 6.


http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=444
http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=443
Did these get pushed back? DVD Planet and Amazon has them both listed now for 10-20-15.
The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. -The Big Lebowski (1998)

HT: Sony XBR65Z9D, Denon AVR-X3300W, Emotiva XPA-3 (Gen3), Oppo 203 (region-free), Polk CSiA6 (center), Polk RTiA9 (x2), Polk FXiA6 (x4), SVS SB-2000 (sub), Roku Ultra, PS4, PS3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee View Post
Did these get pushed back? DVD Planet and Amazon has them both listed now for 10-20-15.
It seems so. They're also listed on Film Movement's site for October 20.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #18
llj llj is offline
Special Member
 
llj's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Default

Anyone got the Rohmers yet?

I got Full Moon in Paris yesterday and watched a bit of it. As far as I can tell, visually it looks about the same as what I've seen from the Potemkine release. Blu ray comes with a 6 page booklet with an essay by David Thomson.

I'm interesting in hearing if anyone has Marquise of O and what they think of it. The trailers on my Full Moon disc for Marquise seems to suggest quite a bit of noise reduction in that one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:29 AM   #19
pro-bassoonist pro-bassoonist is offline
Blu-ray reviewer
 
pro-bassoonist's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
X
47
-
-
21
23
Default



NEWS
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18137

Quote:
Film Movement, the New York-based film distributor of first-run, award-winning independent and foreign films, has announced its 2016 Film Movement Classics line-up, which includes films from an array of auteurs and features various genres, such as sci-fi, thrillers, yakuza and period films.

Japanese actor/director Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano's acclaimed first two films as a director, VIOLENT COP and BOILING POINT, lead the list, as well as a new 4K restoration of Wolf Gremm's cult classic KAMIKAZE 89, starring Rainer Werner Fassbinder in his last film role, and Marleen Gorris' ANTONIA'S LINE, which is celebrating the 20th anniversary of its Academy Award win. Other titles include Italian director Ettore Scola's Cannes-winning film, UGLY, DIRTY AND BAD (originally released as DOWN AND DIRTY in the U.S.); Bille August's THE BEST INTENTIONS (with a screenplay by Ingmar Bergman); Lee Tamahori's ONCE WERE WARRIORS; and Geoffrey Murphy's post-apocalyptic THE QUIET EARTH.

All films will be available for theatrical runs and retrospective screenings and will be released on Blu-ray and DVD with newly commissioned essays and bonus material in 2016.

Below, please find descriptions of the 2016 Film Movement Classics line-up (alphabetical order):

ANTONIA'S LINE (Marleen Gorris, 1995, Netherlands, Dutch, 102 min) - In the aftermath of WWII, strong-willed Antonia returns to her small hometown where she has inherited her mother's farm. Antonia, joined by her free-spirited artist daughter Danielle, ingratiate themselves with the town's tight-knit and eccentric community. As the years unfold, love and tragedy come to Antonia and Danielle and the pair foster a vibrant circle of strong, liberated women. ANTONIA'S LINE won the Academy Award® for Best Foreign Language Film, 1996 and will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of this win in 2016.

THE BEST INTENTIONS (Bille August, 1992, Sweden, Swedish, 182 min) - Swedish master Ingmar Bergman penned this loving tribute to his parent's epic romance. In 1909, poor, idealistic theology student Henrik Bergman falls in love with Anna Åkerbloom, the intelligent, educated daughter of a rich family in Uppsala. After their wedding Henrik becomes a priest in the north of Sweden. Urbane Anna can't stand living in the rural county and grows increasingly restless. She returns to Uppsala and the couple's love and commitment are put to the test.

BOILING POINT (Takeshi Kitano, 1990, Japan, Japanese, 97 min) - In the second film from action auteur Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano, two members of a Japanese junior baseball team get mixed up with the local yakuza after their coach is attacked by gangsters. The pair gets more than they bargained for when they travel to Okinawa seeking revenge in this violent and strangely humorous revolutionary take on the yakuza picture.

KAMIKAZE 89 (Wolf Gremm, 1982, Germany, German, 106 min) - In his last acting role, legendary director Rainer Werner Fassbinder plays Jansen, an expert cop living in a dystopic future (and clad in a sharp leopard skin jacket) where a mysterious organization known as The Combine controls all media. After The Combine?s headquarters receives several bomb threats, Jansen is tasked with infiltrating the nefarious conglomerate. This cult classic features a soundtrack by Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream and an array of New German Cinema stars, including Brigitte Mira (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul), Frank Ripploh (Taxi Zum Klo), and Gunter Kaufmann (The Marriage of Maria Braun).

ONCE WERE WARRIORS (Lee Tamahori, 1994, New Zealand, English, 102 min) - Jake Heke lives with his family in a tenement house for native Maori in the slums of Auckland. Despite his love and devotion, Jake?s battle with alcoholism frequently results in terrifyingly erratic outbursts in front of his children and violent beatings of his wife Beth. After Jake loses his job, each member of the Heke family is forced to face their own personal demons and the societal constraints that shackle native New Zealanders.

THE QUIET EARTH (Geoff Murphy, 1985, New Zealand, English, 91 min) - In this sci-fi cult classic, Zac Hobson, a mid-level scientist working on a global energy project, wakes up to a nightmare. After his project malfunctions, Zac discovers that he may be the last man on Earth. As he searches empty cities for other survivors, Zac's mental state begins to deteriorate - culminating in the film's iconic and hotly debated ending.

UGLY, DIRTY, AND BAD (Ettore Scola, 1976, Italy, Italian, 116 min) - Acclaimed Italian auteur Ettore Scola (celebrating his 85th birthday in 2016) pairs up with legendary actor Nino Manfredi in this irreverent Cannes-winning grotesque comedy. Giacinto (Manfredi), along with four generations of his sprawling, crooked clan, lives in a cramped, dilapidated home on the outskirts of Rome. When a work accident leaves him blind in one eye, the derelict suddenly finds himself rolling in insurance money. Refusing to share the wealth, Giacinto?s relatives concoct several harebrained plots in hopes of wrenching the riches away.

VIOLENT COP (Takeshi Kitano, 1989, Japan, Japanese, 103 min) - In his directorial debut, and one of his first dramatic roles, writer/director Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano plays Detective Azuma, a hostile cop who?s not afraid of using violent means to catch his culprits. When his sister is kidnapped by a sadistic drug lord, Azuma's Dirty Harry-style tactics escalate in his quest for vengeance in this stunningly innovative cops-and-robbers thriller.
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-16-2015 at 12:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Akijama (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #20
Akijama Akijama is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Oct 2011
Default

The Quiet Earth, still can't believe it. Kudos to FM! Once Were Warriors, Kitano's etc...just awesome.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 AM.