Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.90
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
While the City Sleeps (Blu-ray)
$17.71
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Post (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Default FilmRise Discussion Thread

FilmRise seems to be a new acquisition company that specializes mostly in documentaries (so far at least, they have just a handful of titles announced).

I can populate this post with info about the releases in a more general fashion if people are interested, but right now I'm kind of just curious if anyone has seen any of these titles.

My interest was piqued first by The Nightmare (the follow-up to Rodney Ascher's Room 237, and another pseudo-documentary that is more about people's perceptions of things than the things themselves), and again by the announcement that they had licensed Going Clear (the HBO Scientology documentary).

However, some things currently seem shady about the company. Their website mentions nothing about physical releases, and is more like a digital download hub for what (at first glance, without looking too much into it yet, to be fair) YouTube-esque garbage. Their Facebook is even less useful, with the same handful of link-bait-esque posts made over and over ("Did Ben Affleck cheat?", "Look at Beyonce's new style", etc.). And their DVDs on Amazon are marked as DVD-Rs made on-demand. Their BDs don't have any BD-R notification, but I don't know if that's because they aren't BD-Rs or because Amazon doesn't have a BD-R notification as one of their preset options. I know I've accidentally purchased BD-Rs from other companies through Amazon and there was no warning on them.

I have The Nightmare on the way and I'm cautiously optimistic that FilmRise will be putting out some BDs I'm interested in, but there are still a lot of questions, in my mind at least.

So what do people know? Who has had experience with this company's releases?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Sigh... The Nightmare, and presumably all their films, are BD-Rs...
Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

FilmRise has now picked up some of Screen Media's titles, including Sherrybaby (a title I was really interested in, but it looks like it will be a BD-R, so it looks like I'll wait for a European release). They have also begun a deal with Breaking Glass Pictures, another smaller indie label (they mainly distribute horror films and documentaries).
Old 09-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_reloaded View Post
Sigh... The Nightmare, and presumably all their films, are BD-Rs...
Thanks for posting that info...its been in my wishlist for awhile since it's crazy pricey ($46 on amazon.ca). But now I'll wait til it drops even further than I was originally waiting for.
MOST WANTED MODERN:
Irréversible, Inside, Visitor Q, A Tale of Two Sisters, Cold Prey, Hidden, Hora, The Monitor, Next Door, Noroi: The Curse, Cure, Trouble Every Day
Old 09-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscemi View Post
FilmRise has now picked up some of Screen Media's titles, including Sherrybaby (a title I was really interested in, but it looks like it will be a BD-R, so it looks like I'll wait for a European release). They have also begun a deal with Breaking Glass Pictures, another smaller indie label (they mainly distribute horror films and documentaries).
Great, more titles for them to mess up... I emailed the company (politely) and never got any response back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junyab View Post
Thanks for posting that info...its been in my wishlist for awhile since it's crazy pricey ($46 on amazon.ca). But now I'll wait til it drops even further than I was originally waiting for.
There's a German BD of The Nightmare coming out in October, and no German labels seem to ever use BD-R, so I have high hopes for it. No idea if it'll be region free or not yet, but something to consider.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

I see they are releasing Atari: Game Over. I'm guessing it will probably be a BD-R which is a shame as I was looking forwarding to seeing that documentary.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

I think I also saw Paramount (via Transmission) is doing The Nightmare in Australia. It will likely be region free (though a few Transmission titles are region locked).
Old 09-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

I received my copy of The Nightmare yesterday and at first I thought it was a 'bootleg' since the artwork printing didn't look as good, and then to find out it's a BD-R disc, I was very surprised! So what's up with that? I watched the disc and it played fine, no issues. Is there a chance since it's a BD-R that it wont last as long? Why would they go down that route..?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsynth View Post
I received my copy of The Nightmare yesterday and at first I thought it was a 'bootleg' since the artwork printing didn't look as good, and then to find out it's a BD-R disc, I was very surprised! So what's up with that? I watched the disc and it played fine, no issues. Is there a chance since it's a BD-R that it wont last as long? Why would they go down that route..?

Thanks.
They went down that route because it's cheaper, presumably... Most replicators enforce a 1000-disc minimum pressing, so I guess FilmRise doesn't think anything in their catalog will ever sell 1000 discs...

As for BD-Rs not lasting as long - that's my concern as well. It's pretty well documented how CD-Rs and DVD-Rs don't last as long as CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs, plus CD-Rs and DVD-Rs are so sensitive to temperature, humidity, and light. I see no reason to think BD-Rs would be any different.
Thanks given by:
slasherdisc (09-27-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010

What a bummer. Here I was excited to see Sherrybaby coming to Blu-ray but I guess I'll just stick with my DVD.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

FilmRise is also now distributing Monterey Media titles on Blu. Nothing too interesting in this batch (mostly little-known indie films from the past few years) but I imagine a few here may have some good thoughts in what they got.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:58 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Booo this really sucks. Screen Media is releasing quite a few titles I've wanted on BD in the coming months, but presumably they're all BD-R.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Banned

Sep 2015

pretty sure you are not allowed to sell BD-Rs at retail due to the licensing fee associated with pressing blu-rays. this company also seem like a very poor company when it comes to customer service.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms45 View Post
pretty sure you are not allowed to sell BD-Rs at retail due to the licensing fee associated with pressing blu-rays. this company also seem like a very poor company when it comes to customer service.
I wish that were true - who could they be reported to, Sony or the BDA?

And yes they suck at customer service. Their Facebook and homepage are both jokes, they look like a celebrity news gossip rag. And they never had the decency of getting back to me after I sent a politely worded inquiry into what was going on with their company. I don't understand how they're raising the investment money that they brag about, nor why these other companies are interested in signing over their catalogs to them...
Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

I talked to the BDA, and you can sell BD-Rs at retail, but you CANNOT sell BD-Rs and use the BD Logo and various trademarks to present them as Blu-rays because they are not official Blu-rays. So the BDA is looking into this now.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #16

Feb 2013
California

Well here's proof that Sherry baby is a BD-R as well http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...RL._SY606_.jpg

Notice instead of a blu-ray logo it just says blu-ray disc?

This really sucks, I was hoping to get this on Blu-ray but, now I'm just going to have to stick with my dvd, and hope another label releases this in the future.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #17

Jun 2013

Found "Sherry Baby" in the $7.88 bin at Walmart last night for $3.00 and picked it up. It is a BD-R. PQ is solid, basic menu with play and chapter links, audio is PCM 2.0.

The real downer, it's edited down to 91 minutes minutes for TV. The "TV MA 14" pops up right at the beginning. F-bombs are muted out, amongst other things.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

I noticed VideoETA is listing a number of FilmRise titles that are not listed here. Mainly titles from the Screen Media library but you want to buy United Passions as a gag gift, you can buy a BD-R from Amazon and relish in one of the decade's worst films.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscemi View Post
I noticed VideoETA is listing a number of FilmRise titles that are not listed here. Mainly titles from the Screen Media library but you want to buy United Passions as a gag gift, you can buy a BD-R from Amazon and relish in one of the decade's worst films.
They've been buying up huge catalogs from a lot of small labels - there are probably 100 BD-Rs from them on Amazon now, and growing every month. Sad state of affairs. I hope they're not selling.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:05 AM   #20
Banned

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Prosthetic Prophet View Post
Well here's proof that Sherry baby is a BD-R as well http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...RL._SY606_.jpg

Notice instead of a blu-ray logo it just says blu-ray disc?

This really sucks, I was hoping to get this on Blu-ray but, now I'm just going to have to stick with my dvd, and hope another label releases this in the future.
I've ordered Ride (2014) from Amazon for $5-something and it's not bad for a BD-R. Has artwork, artwork on the disc so it doesn't look like a BD-R, has the blu-ray logo in the top of the case, menu is decent, PQ could be a bit better but oh well. The only way to tell it's really a BD-R is if you look at the bottom of the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors