Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Fastball $12.56 (6 hours left)
Soon: The Taking of Pelham One Two T… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$12.85
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.77
XBlaze Lost: Memories (PS3)
$18.44
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.69
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.29
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.99
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
$17.49
Record of Agarest War 2 (PS3)
$14.31
The Last of Us (PS3)
$18.90
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 08-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Retail video game industry begins bidding farewell to PS3, Xbox 360

The end of an era is upon us.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 video game consoles are on their way out and the game industry appears ready to move on.

That's according to the data in the latest report from industry tracker NPD Group.

After more than a year and a half of fluctuations and uncertainty with the arrival of new hardware from Microsoft and Sony, the US retail game industry grew in July -- its second consecutive month of growth, according to NPD. Overall sales of game hardware, software and accessories grew 6 percent while hardware sales rose 2 percent, despite a steep 56 percent dropoff in sales of the older Xbox 360 and PS3.

Such a dropoff has in previous months dragged hardware sales down into double-digit declines on a percentage basis. But sales of the newer Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles are starting to offset those declines.

The end of the Xbox 360 and PS3 has been a long time coming, with Microsoft publicly stating that support for its console will end next year, while Sony has hinted that it will follow suit. Meanwhile, many game makers have publicly dropped support for older consoles. For instance, Electronic Arts' upcoming Star Wars Battlefront space shooter with be available only for the Xbox One, PS4 and PC. The sharp dropoffs in older hardware sales reflect the lack of consumer enthusiasm for the near-decade-old devices.

Since the introduction of new game hardware from Microsoft and Sony in November 2013, the retail game industry has been struggling to stabilize itself as it transitions away from old hardware, released almost 10 years ago, to new devices released in the past two years. Sales of these upgraded consoles have been strong, but software sales have fluctuated. On the whole, game sales have tended to fall from year-ago comparisons as the industry waited for a larger number of consumers to upgrade to new hardware, which has been dependent on game makers offering compelling reasons to upgrade.

That appears to be changing now, as both newer hardware and software sales for those devices begin taking up a larger chunk of the overall market. Last month, sales of software for the Xbox One and PS4 grew 63 percent year over year, NPD said.

Software sales of games on discs on the whole remained flat at $184.4 million due to a lack of new games in the middle of the summer season. The best-selling retail game of the month was Warner Bros.' toy-film hybrid Lego: Jurassic World, followed by Warner Bros.' other big summer hit, the comic-inspired Batman: Arkham Knight in second. Microsoft's pixel-building game Minecraft came in third.

Although overall game console sales rose only 2 percent in July to $202.1 million from this time a year ago, sales of newer hardware like the Xbox One grew 9 percent. "After 21 months, combined Xbox One and PS4 hardware unit sales are close to 50 percent higher than the combined sales of Xbox 360 and PS3 after 21 months on the market," NPD analyst Liam Callahan wrote.

Sony was pleased with the results in July thanks mostly to a special bundled version of its PlayStation 4 along with Batman: Arkham Knight. The PlayStation 4 was yet again the top seller last month, the company said in a statement.

Sony expects the momentum to continue into the fall as it preps yet another hardware bundle with Activision Blizzard's space shooter Destiny, which releases a large update in September.

Microsoft said sales of its Xbox One console were up 44 percent year over year in July, yet it still fell behind Sony, which has brokered deals with big-name game makers to get exclusive hardware bundles like Destiny and Batman. Microsoft, however, is gearing up for a hardware boost of its own with the release of the next installment in its acclaimed sci-fi shooter franchise Halo in October.

As has been the case in previous months, sales of games over the Internet are an even brighter spot for the industry. SuperData Research, which tracks sales and deliveries over the Internet of games and game add-ons, said the market grew 12 percent in July to $1.03 billion year over year.

"The biggest growth drivers in July were mobile and PC, which combined accounted for about 60 percent of the total digital games market," wrote SuperData CEO Joost van Dreunen.

http://www.cnet.com/news/retail-vide...-xbox-360-ps3/
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Well if true that is a bummer since i'm not ready for PS4 or Xbox One. (PS4 would be my choice between the 2 when I am). In fact I can't even keep up with all of these games for PS3 as it is.
Thanks given by:
BlueAlchemy17 (11-11-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland

When the PS4 has backwards compatibility THEN I will buy one.

The Xbox does!!!
PlayStation ID: gator_macready

"No! No, no, no, no, no...well yes."

-Homer Simpson
Old 08-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

PS4 isn't getting B/C according to Sony. I don't think they well even consider it at the rate they are selling PS4s they have no reason to put money and resources in to it.

Not to mention they have PlayStation now which will offer a wide range of old PlayStation titles, adding B/C would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Who's going to pay for that service if they can just pop the old ps3 disc in the ps4.

I think it's good we are seeing less and less cross gen games so we can get better current gen games.
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Since the 7th gen was more "connected" & multiplayer focused I can see how people are reluctant to move forward even if they carry some of the same assets.

No mention of Wii
That was 7th gen & I am finding it tough to find a U.S. Console. $$$

May soon be the end of PS3 & 360, but not for Collectors or people who appreciate physical media. Enjoy it while it's real & not in the cloud folks.
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BackfromSanity

2016 Game of the Year - The Last Guardian

PS4 Pro 2TB SSD ~ Xbox One 4TB WD ~ Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD
Thanks given by:
Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
PS4 isn't getting B/C according to Sony. I don't think they well even consider it at the rate they are selling PS4s they have no reason to put money and resources in to it.

Not to mention they have PlayStation now which will offer a wide range of old PlayStation titles, adding B/C would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Who's going to pay for that service if they can just pop the old ps3 disc in the ps4.

I think it's good we are seeing less and less cross gen games so we can get better current gen games.
If that's Sony's attitude, I'd want nothing to do with them. lol Well we could do it, but uh, we're still counting our cash & in the meantime, here have this sub because we almost are done counting.
PSN = derb
Xbox Live = BackfromSanity

2016 Game of the Year - The Last Guardian

PS4 Pro 2TB SSD ~ Xbox One 4TB WD ~ Nintendo Wii U 2TB WD
Old 08-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Enjoy it while it's real & not in the cloud folks.
The day gaming goes completely (or even mostly) digital, I will be done.

And thatís ok. I have enough games in my backlog (that I havenít played) to last me a lifetime with the rate I play video games.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (09-29-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
If that's Sony's attitude, I'd want nothing to do with them. lol Well we could do it, but uh, we're still counting our cash & in the meantime, here have this sub because we almost are done counting.
I think it's the only reason really

Could they do it? Most certainly. Even Microsoft are hinting that after 360 support is ironed out they may get some og Xbox games working too.

I think Sony have just gone down a totally different road, mainly because of PlayStation Now. If that didn't exist then I think we might have seen backwards compatibility.

It would be interesting to see hard numbers on how many people actually use Xbox one bc more than just once or twice as a nostalgia trip.

As you say collector's will continue to buy them, and in reality that's the best way to play them. On their original console not emulated on future hardware.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

The writing has been on the wall for a while. The PS3 game selection at retailers like Best Buy and GameStop has been dwindling for some time, and much of what's left is discounted.

I do feel like Sony has been trying to force people to buy a PS4 by not releasing some games on the PS3 that should run just fine on the PS3 (an example is the remastered version of Grim Fandango). The PS4 for me is not the huge upgrade the PS3 was over the PS2, but it seems like the plan is to push everyone into adopting the PS4 because there eventually won't be any new content on the PS3.
Thanks given by:
Old 08-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Well my original PS3 got YLOD 2 years ago, so bought another PS3. I do own several games that are digital, mostly old arcade games like X-men, Simpsons, and old RPGs (Suikoden 1&2 ). If they are stopping with PS3 soon and PS4 being not backward compatible, I might just buy extra PS3 system for back up this Black Friday. Really don't want to lose those classic games, because my understanding is that all those old digital games are not transferrable to PS4, right?

And depending on price, I might just buy PS4 or XBOX One this Black Friday too. Mainly because of Rare collection from XBox, I'm leaning twoards XBox right now. - really want to play the Battletoads Arcade. But I don't want to buy entire system for just one game. Do XBox have other old classic arcade games for sale on disc or digital? How about PS4?

PS4 is more popular but which one is better if I like old arcade games, fighting, and RPG?
Never liked the first person shooter, so exclusive like Halo never interested me. So i never owned or did extensive research on XBox before.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Now that the PS4 has DLNA support I've found myself barely using my PS3. I'll keep it around for if some good PS+ games arrive for it but that's about it. I will say that it has been solid since purchase. I got the limited Metal Gear Solid gunmetal gray version.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Well if true that is a bummer since i'm not ready for PS4 or Xbox One. (PS4 would be my choice between the 2 when I am). In fact I can't even keep up with all of these games for PS3 as it is.
If you can't keep up with current PS3 games then this shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to keep playing the existing PS3 games for a few more years before you'll need a PS4.
Thanks given by:
Old 11-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #13

Jun 2007

Well I dont have any hurry to buy PS4 or Xbox One. I have 2 good PC systems. So multiplatform games for PC for best graph quality. There is not enough PS4 or XboxOne only titles yet.

I have Ps3 and Xbox 360. I'm gonna keep those, not sell. I did that too Xbox and PS2.
HomeTheater
PS2, PS3 60 GB-model (320 GB HDD) 41 BD-games, Xbox, Xbox 360 + HD DVD AddOn 54 DVD-games, Media Center PC, Sony Str-dg 820b + 5.0 Soundsystem, TV 40" FullHD Sony Bravia V4000-series, HDready Projector, Collection + 10 BD, 90 HD DVD
Work/Gaming PC
PC, Monitor 24" FullHD, Monitor 19", 5.1 Sound System (DD + DTS)
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #14

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post

That's all well and good with the Digital Download legacy games (PS1, PS2, PS3). Except that they only offer a fraction, and I mean less than 25%, of the massive library of legacy games. Personally, I just bought a refurbished PS3 CECHA01 so that I have B/C with PS2 and PS1. When the whole library is available for download, even if I have to repurchase the games I want, then I'll consider PS4 a true possibility and necessity to get. Until then, I'm sticking to my B/C PS3.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #15

Nov 2015

Quote:
Since the 7th gen was more "connected" & multiplayer focused I can see how people are reluctant to move forward even if they carry some of the same assets.

No mention of Wii
That was 7th gen & I am finding it tough to find a U.S. Console. $$$

May soon be the end of PS3 & 360, but not for Collectors or people who appreciate physical media. Enjoy it while it's real & not in the cloud folks.
Honestly, I kinda like the idea of digital downloads and everything in the cloud, as long as they don't take the same stance as Apple with iTunes (suddenly you're missing tracks randomly from the album you purchased from us and the same tracks are missing from your cloud copy, tough $hi7, not our problem). But what really angers me is this arrogant assumption by the whole tech industry that everyone has access to unlimited and reliable broadband Internet access when it's been well documented, in the US, that the penetration of broadband Internet outside major urban areas is abysmal at best, especially when you compare to countries like South Korea which offers 5G cellular data nation wide.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #16

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefan77 View Post
Well my original PS3 got YLOD 2 years ago, so bought another PS3. I do own several games that are digital, mostly old arcade games like X-men, Simpsons, and old RPGs (Suikoden 1&2 ). If they are stopping with PS3 soon and PS4 being not backward compatible, I might just buy extra PS3 system for back up this Black Friday. Really don't want to lose those classic games, because my understanding is that all those old digital games are not transferrable to PS4, right?

And depending on price, I might just buy PS4 or XBOX One this Black Friday too. Mainly because of Rare collection from XBox, I'm leaning twoards XBox right now. - really want to play the Battletoads Arcade. But I don't want to buy entire system for just one game. Do XBox have other old classic arcade games for sale on disc or digital? How about PS4?

PS4 is more popular but which one is better if I like old arcade games, fighting, and RPG?
Never liked the first person shooter, so exclusive like Halo never interested me. So i never owned or did extensive research on XBox before.
Read a review, I think on Make Tech Easier dot com, comparing PS4 and Xbox One. They basically said that as an all round game system PS4 is superior, but as a Media Center with everything connected to it, Xbox One is superior. I can say personally, that my brother uses his Xbox One exactly as that, games, Internet, movies, Cable, all through his Xbox One. My preference though is still PS4. I'm a die-hard PS fan.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #17

Oct 2010

I am still waiting for the PS4 slim to make an appearance before I upgrade.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #18

Aug 2012
NJ

Disappointing that they're not even going to release games for it...is there an actual cutoff date for when there'll cease to be PS3 games?

Don't know if I'll ever get to a PS4...I think I have like 15 or so PS3 games and don't even have the time to play them. With a new system not being able to play the games I have, no sense in getting a new one.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
Expert Member

Jan 2010

There's only like 2 PS3 games I know of coming out this year (Lego Star Wars, Madden). I'd say the end is here
Old 06-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadaluholla View Post
There's only like 2 PS3 games I know of coming out this year (Lego Star Wars, Madden). I'd say the end is here
There was that many this week alone and a lot more still coming. Especially in Japan so it is far from a complete death. But also far from relevant beyond people that have not moved on since a lot of the games have either superior PS4 versions or slightly better mediocre PS4 versions still being held back by cross gen development.
🎮 XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax 🎮 PSN: Hayabusa85 🎮 Wii U: Hayabusa85 🎮
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3