Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Torso (Blu-ray)
$29.33
8 hrs ago
The Birth of a Nation (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 hrs ago
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 hr ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$43.27

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Sep 2010
Woodstock, CT / Chatham, MA
Default Alice, Sweet Alice (Communion / Holy Terror) Blu-ray from Warner Archive Collection

Warner Archive Collection has confirmed they are working on a Blu-ray of Alice, Sweet Alice (AKA Communion / Holy Terror)!
https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchi...53647528471563
Blu-ray Wishlist: Silent Night, Bloody Night; Prom Night 2-4; Let's Scare Jessica to Death; Alice, Sweet Alice; Fright Night, Part II; Where the Truth Lies; Ginger Snaps II & III; Perfect Blue; The Swan Princess; Mother of Tears; The Nightmare Before Christmas 4K; Suspiria 4K; Halloween (1978) 4K; Jaws 1 & 2 4K; Alien Anthology 4K
Thanks given by:
*PREACHER* (09-17-2015), AKORIS (09-17-2015), AlexIlDottore (09-18-2015), bipbop13 (09-18-2015), dissention (09-17-2015), FelixFlankin (09-18-2015), grape_jelly (12-10-2015), jlk5844 (09-17-2015), Kap6289 (09-17-2015), lolwut (09-18-2015), Losey (09-18-2015), Martin_31 (09-17-2015), movieben1138 (09-17-2015), Mr. Thomsen (09-17-2015), NoirFan (09-17-2015), The Great Owl (09-17-2015), TripleHBK (09-17-2015), tylerdurden10 (09-17-2015), WesReviews (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

I'm not convinced that they we're necessarily referring to a Blu-ray release.

Ask them for the confirmation, otherwise this should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #3

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
I'm not convinced that they we're necessarily referring to a Blu-ray release.

Ask them for the confirmation, otherwise this should be taken with a grain of salt.
They have been working on this for a long time and are creating a new transfer from the best possible elements. I doubt they'd waste all that time and money just to downconvert it to 480p and do a DVD-only release. If they were planning on doing a DVD only release, they'd probably just take the previous transfer and remove the letterboxing to make it anamorphic. For the WAC DVD-only release of Ten Little Indians, they just used the old transfer from the previous DVD. I asked them on Facebook but it might take them a few days to get back to me, as it did last time.
Blu-ray Wishlist: Silent Night, Bloody Night; Prom Night 2-4; Let's Scare Jessica to Death; Alice, Sweet Alice; Fright Night, Part II; Where the Truth Lies; Ginger Snaps II & III; Perfect Blue; The Swan Princess; Mother of Tears; The Nightmare Before Christmas 4K; Suspiria 4K; Halloween (1978) 4K; Jaws 1 & 2 4K; Alien Anthology 4K
Old 09-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaysaysHAHA View Post
They have been working on this for a long time and are creating a new transfer from the best possible elements. I doubt they'd waste all that time and money just to downconvert it to 480p and do a DVD-only release. If they were planning on doing a DVD only release, they'd probably just take the previous transfer and remove the letterboxing to make it anamorphic. For the WAC DVD-only release of Ten Little Indians, they just used the old transfer from the previous DVD. I asked them on Facebook but it might take them a few days to get back to me, as it did last time.
They're a numerous (or at least few) DVD only releases on which WAC have worked for a long time, before they finally released them on DVD (The Lusty Men and the upcoming Twice Upon a Time comes to mind).

The thing with WAC is that they're only providing valuable information about their DVD releases, whereas their lips are tightly sealed on their BD releases. We'll find out soon.

Again, I'm not saying that this is a DVD only release per se, but merely that it should be wise to wait for any kind of confirmation.
Thanks given by:
drak b (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

Well, they've also been working on LAST SUMMER for years, piecing it together from various sources, and that was never intended for a Blu release, although it would be great if it got one. But I'd settle for a DVD-R at this point, because it doesn't look like it's ever going to come out.
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2014
California

Here's hoping it's released on Blu-ray! I've been wanting to see this movie for years.
Thanks given by:
redrunner97 (09-18-2015), TripleHBK (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
There have been a lot of restorations from WAC, marked as such, that you'd think would be no-brainer for Blu-ray

Brewster McCloud
Savage Messiah
Pretty Maids All in a Row
The Boy Friend
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
The Green Slime
Killer Party
The Legend of Lylah Clare
The Night Digger
Night School
No Blade of Grass
The Pack
The Strawberry Statement
The Traveling Executioner

that all went DVD only. Their choices for Blu-ray are almost always on the more conventional and safer end of the spectrum, and to a title has been something that was long ago released by WHV on DVD.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Well, they've also been working on LAST SUMMER for years...
Re: LAST SUMMER, I asked Warner about this on BF last month and got this reply:
Sorry to say that we are still at an impasse to complete a new master. However, our team is still working to try and resolve the outstanding element issues which preclude our ability to complete the work. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (09-18-2015), Jobla (12-10-2015), schlock (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Connecticut

I hope this comes to fruition! It is one of my most wanted titles.
"A lust for Blu-rays keeps us alive."

HD Digital Codes For Sale (PM me): Die Hard, It Follows, Nocturnal Animals
Thanks given by:
grape_jelly (12-10-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

As others have said, WAC has restored many films that went straight to DVD. I think there's a snowball's chance in hell that they'd choose a title like Alice Sweet Alice for a Blu release. And their facebook post makes no reference to a Blu. Until they were to confirm a Blu (which I doubt they will), this really should be in the wish list forum.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
There have been a lot of restorations from WAC, marked as such, that you'd think would be no-brainer for Blu-ray

Brewster McCloud
Savage Messiah
Pretty Maids All in a Row
The Boy Friend
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
The Green Slime
Killer Party
The Legend of Lylah Clare
The Night Digger
Night School
No Blade of Grass
The Pack
The Strawberry Statement
The Traveling Executioner

that all went DVD only. Their choices for Blu-ray are almost always on the more conventional and safer end of the spectrum, and to a title has been something that was long ago released by WHV on DVD.

I want all of these on blu ray!!!! IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #12

Sep 2010

Warner also said they have the original negative. https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchi...51313728346563
Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009
UK

Given that this is a Section 3 title (e.g. something that was almost a video nasty but wasn't), it's a must-see for me. I've been curious about it for a while.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is out September 14th 2018
"Also, The Last Jedi would've been a better movie if it was Blade Runner 2049." - GLaDOS
"Another person to ignore and GLADLY. dallywhitty, dallyunwhitty, he's the expert on posting etiquette." - bootsy
"I knew I would hate you with every ounce of my fiber the first day I joined these forums. I wish nothing but the worst to befall you." - Kylo Ren
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Killer Party
Night School
I'd definitely buy these on BD, along with Eyes of a Stranger and He Knows You're Alone. Oh yeah, and Alice Sweet Alice too.
Thanks given by:
donidarko (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Warner also said they have the original negative. https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchi...51313728346563
Holy hell, that's from three years ago. They sure are taking their sweet time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Given that this is a Section 3 title (e.g. something that was almost a video nasty but wasn't), it's a must-see for me. I've been curious about it for a while.
It's FANTASTIC. The first time I saw it was on television when I was home alone & sick from school; it scared the hell out of me. The atmosphere is unlike any other film I've seen, honestly. I even have the novelization wrapped in plastic, hidden away with my "valuables," haha.
If God exists, why isn't Mo'Nique one of the new Ghostbusters?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
Holy hell, that's from three years ago. They sure are taking their sweet time.
They've been talking about Last Summer since I think 2010 or so. Things only move so fast with them, and as I said they've never put out a Blu-ray of a title that wasn't previously released years ago on DVD by WHV. That said I'll definitely go in on an Alice, Sweet Alice WAC MOD DVD, would surely be a big improvement over my old school Goodtimes VHS (with handwritten label).

[Show spoiler]

Old 09-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
I'd definitely buy these on BD, along with Eyes of a Stranger and He Knows You're Alone. Oh yeah, and Alice Sweet Alice too.
Night School was pretty good. Killer Party was boring up till the last 20 mins. Then it's a blast!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 AM   #18
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

Quote:
They've been talking about Last Summer since I think 2010 or so. Things only move so fast with them, and as I said they've never put out a Blu-ray of a title that wasn't previously released years ago on DVD by WHV. That said I'll definitely go in on an Alice, Sweet Alice WAC MOD DVD, would surely be a big improvement over my old school Goodtimes VHS (with handwritten label).

[Show spoiler]

You never picked up the Anchor Bay DVD? It wasn't perfect, but at the time (1999) it came out, it was a revelation for the film on homevideo. Unfortunately, the movie has fallen into "PD" in some circles, at least in some of its alternate titles/cuts, which is also a big negative in thinking WAC is going for a Blu. I'd love to be proven wrong and that WAC is actually working on a Blu of this film, but I can't remember WAC ever mentioning they were 'working' on an upcoming Blu until it was already completed and ready to go and already had a release date. I seriously doubt a WAC Blu on this particular film will ever happen.

Last edited by schlock; 09-18-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
You never picked up the Anchor Bay DVD? It wasn't perfect, but at the time (1999) it came out, it was a revelation for the film on homevideo. Unfortunately, the movie has fallen into "PD" in some circles, at least in some of its alternate titles/cuts, which is also a big negative in thinking WAC is going for a Blu. I'd love to be proven wrong and that WAC is actually working on a Blu of this film, but I can't remember WAC ever mentioning they were 'working' on an upcoming Blu until it was already completed and ready to go and already had a release date. I seriously doubt a WAC Blu on this particular film will ever happen.
I actually wasn't really aware of the movie until I got the VHS at a flea market in 2011 for $1. After I watched it I looked over the discs available and figured I could live with the tape until a new one came around.

It's kind of interesting that WAC hasn't looked to exploit more cult/horror/genre titles on Blu-ray. Until something breaks the rule I'm honestly not even considering the possibility of WAC releasing a Blu-ray of a title not long ago released on DVD by WHV.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
North Carolina, USA

Hopefully this does get released, and on blu-ray.

I wouldn't hate Night School or Killer Party either.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
alice sweet alice, blu-ray, communion, warner archive collection