Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
15 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
15 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
3 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007
Default Sony STRDA5300ES Speaker Calibration Error

Today we moved all of the hardware, and I got it mostly set up (except rear speakers) such that we can use it tonight. I was going to quickly autocalibrate the 5.1 speakers that are connected. I get an error 33, which says speakers are incorrectly connected, but I checked all of the connections and they seem to be correct. I get test tones from them all. I doubt anyone can help, but I don't know what else to do, other than guesstimate what all of the new levels should be.
PSN: jsteinhauer
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 AM   #2

Dec 2007
Sacramento, CA

Jon,

I have the same AVR (I really like it), and I don't have an answer for you. Have you checked the phase of your subwoofer? That's about all I can think of, if you've already checked all your connections for the other speakers.

This review of an earlier Sony receiver indicates that turning the receiver off and then back on and then re-running the test seemed to fix their (same?) problem: http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-32331246.html

Mark
To know that one doesn't know is best. - Laozi

Sony KDS-60A3000 TV, Sony STR-DA5300ES AVR, Sony PS3 40GB, Oppo 980H, SureWest IPTV DVR, AppleTV 160GB, Hsu Research speakers with a Hsu VTF-3 MK 3 subwoofer.

Blu's: 34
Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

from the User Manual pg.51:

Code 33

• None of the front speakers are connected or only one front speaker is connected.
• The optimizer microphone is not connected.
• Either the left or right surround speakers is not connected.
• Surround back speakers arc connected even though surround speakers are not connected.
Connect the surround speaker(s) to the SURROUND terminals.
• The surround back speaker is connected only to the SURROUND BACK SPEAKERS R
terminals. When you connect only one surround back speaker. connect it to the
SURROUND BACK SPEAKERS L terminals.

...have you checked all of these? how many speakers do you have connected?

Last edited by crackinhedz; 12-16-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 AM   #4

Dec 2007
Sacramento, CA

Thanks, Crackinhedz. I just assumed that he had done all of those checks... Not a safe assumption.

Mark

Sony KDS-60A3000 TV, Sony STR-DA5300ES AVR, Sony PS3 40GB, Oppo 980H, SureWest IPTV DVR, AppleTV 160GB, Hsu Research speakers with a Hsu VTF-3 MK 3 subwoofer.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
PSNetwork: groovyone

Other than that, how do you like the 5300? I am still eyeing the 4300 but no local stores have it.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyone View Post
Other than that, how do you like the 5300? I am still eyeing the 4300 but no local stores have it.
I've just started playing with my 5300. I'm still setting up the basement and HT but so far the sound is very nice. I was running a Yamaha before but this is amp is at least as nice sound wise to my ears.

once I get the 7 speakers set up and really start running this through it's paces I'll update somewhere.
Sony 52" XBR5 Bravia | Sony STRDA5300ES Reciever | Panasonic DMP-BD30
80GB PS3 | XBOX 360
Bose Speakers: 2 x 701 + 4 x 191 + 1 centre
12" JBL LFE Speaker
Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

I can and do read, so I used the owner's manual. I have not tried the power off/on. Everything is otherwise set up like it was in the original location where it worked fine. Irrespective, the new location makes both the video and audio so much better. Dark wall colors and ceiling with low level ambient light and appropriately spaced front speakers make a huge difference. Also, not being near the steel fireplace that rattled with the woofer is nice. I still have to finish up some trimwork, and from my personal history, finishing projects takes a lot longer once the functional part is up and running.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #8

Dec 2007
Sacramento, CA

Jon,

Sounds like a nice setup. Let us know how things work out, and check out AVForums.com and AVSforums.com (if you haven't already). With the latter, be prepared, even with searching, to wade through hundreds of posts, though.

Mark

Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

After struggling with this issue for three days now, on the internet, via email and via phone with Sony tech support, it is not resolved. However, I think I have narrowed it down to either a calibration microphone problem, or a calibration microphone connection problem. Any other reasonable cause for error 33 would have no sound or inappropriate sound coming from the speakers, or there would be a short that would induce a "protector" error from the receiver. Even with only the front L/R speakers connected, the same error arises. I have not tried with no speakers connected, however.

I ordered a sound meter that will arrive tomorrow, so that I can calibrate manually, but I am left with the issue of whether I should send my receiver for service, since it really is malfunctioning. It's difficult, since the malfunction will in no way affect my ability to get full functionality from it. I also keep thinking that one day, I will stumble upon what idiot thing I am probably doing wrong. I really think it's a microphone connection issue, though.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #10

Dec 2007
Sacramento, CA

I had to return my first 5300 (firmware upgrade), and they had the replacement to me in under 48 hours. I would hope that if you have to send yours in for service that they will treat you equally well.

For the money I paid, I'd feel a bit squeamish about some function being broken, even if the rest of the functions all seemed to work fine.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtaber View Post
I had to return my first 5300 (firmware upgrade), and they had the replacement to me in under 48 hours. I would hope that if you have to send yours in for service that they will treat you equally well.

Mark
My problem is not firmware associated, according to them (that is HDMI connectivity), so it does not qualify for advance exchange. I have not had any of those issues, but I also have not sent bitstreamed HD audio to the reciever, yet, so it may still arise. I tried to explain this to the rep, but it was like talking to a wall. So they will service my unit free now (under warranty) and replace it later (firmware issues).
Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #12

Dec 2007
Default I had the same issue - but resolved

Hi

I just joined the forum and I read lots of useful information.

I got my receiver two days back and ran into same 33 error. I struggled with it for a couple of hours, checked, rechecked everything and finally found out my issue.

On one of the surround speakers i have pushed the cable slightly inside, the copper was not in proper contact. Once I found that and I fixed everything worked great.

The way I diagnosed the problem by running test tone (available under speaker option). I found out the 4 out 5 speakers produced sound except the one i had the wires pushed in far.

Error 33 may not be always on the receiver side.

Hope this helps
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers