Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Tristan & Isolde ()
Soon: Road to Bali ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
Expert Member

Sep 2011
Default Who in here apply EQ to their subs?

And how do you like it? I'm of the impression that many bassheads and HT enthusiast don't apply eq to their subs.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2011

No one?
Thanks given by:
TaxiTodd (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 03:02 AM   #3

Sep 2011
New Joisey

Anyone who cares about sound quality would almost surely use some type of EQ. Rooms/boundaries/walls do strange things to bass, and one of the most effective ways to tame those anomalies is with proper equalization. Bass traps and room treatments are another good method, but electronics is the fastest and easiest way to mitigate most issues.
- Jim
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT. Like the results.
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Parasound: JC2, Pass Labs: X150.5,Yamaha: T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Modded Klipschorns.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Thanks given by:
prerich (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
Anyone who cares about sound quality would almost surely use some type of EQ. Rooms/boundaries/walls do strange things to bass, and one of the most effective ways to tame those anomalies is with proper equalization. Bass traps and room treatments are another good method, but electronics is the fastest and easiest way to mitigate most issues.

There are two excellent ways to get your ass whooped: staggering, stone drunk, into a biker bar and shouting, "Who's riding that piece a crap out front?", and depending on electronics to equalize your subs.

Either way, you wind up spitting teeth, and bystanders will tell you - to your face, if you still have one - that it was a serious mistake to even go down that road.

I adjust subs, manually, and I stay out of biker bars altogether. Voice of experience here.
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (02-20-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #6

Sep 2011
New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
There are two excellent ways to get your ass whooped: staggering, stone drunk, into a biker bar and shouting, "Who's riding that piece a crap out front?", and depending on electronics to equalize your subs.

Either way, you wind up spitting teeth, and bystanders will tell you - to your face, if you still have one - that it was a serious mistake to even go down that road.

I adjust subs, manually, and I stay out of biker bars altogether. Voice of experience here.
I'll definitely take my chances against phony aggressors and wannabes who allege to have experience. You're free to waste your life fiddling with knobs and dials, but that's a fools errand reserved for those stuck in the stone age. Those of us who want to spend our time enjoying what we bought, and not dicking around with minutia that will has no perceptible value, will laugh as you while away your time in a vain effort to eke out the inaudible last percentage or two.

Be sure to bring your little sister the next time you go to a bar. That way, you'll have some protection.
- Jim
Thanks given by:
Spookymulder (02-17-2016), TaxiTodd (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
I'll definitely take my chances against phony aggressors and wannabes who allege to have experience. You're free to waste your life fiddling with knobs and dials, but that's a fools errand reserved for those stuck in the stone age. Those of us who want to spend our time enjoying what we bought, and not dicking around with minutia that will has no perceptible value, will laugh as you while away your time in a vain effort to eke out the inaudible last percentage or two.

Be sure to bring your little sister the next time you go to a bar. That way, you'll have some protection.

Hostile, much? I don't have any sisters.

Currently, I have four theaters in my home. All are mixed use, and the living room is the biggest. Four subs - two Fathom F-113 units (one is the more recent Series 2) and two SVS SB-13 units.

There's other gear in there, but of note is the Marantz 8802A, pushed by a Marantz power amp. It's a fairly complex setup, but not too bad.

The real problem is that everything has electronic adjustments for sound. The amp uses Audyssey. JL Audio has one type of parameter setter; SVS another. Which one should run first?

Should the audio environment (sound treatments) be dealt with on an individual basis, per speaker, or in concert somehow? Is fancy equipment like spectrometers necessary, or should it stay rudimentary, and subjective for the knob-twiddler?

It took about half a day to figure out the so-called electronics were overwhelmed by all this stuff. There is more (and less) involved than all these pyrotechnics - it's fine for one sub, dead in the water for four, especially for a basshead like myself. It took another (separate) half day for some basic sound treatments and adjustments, level matching and whatnot.

I started out in radar, moved to computers, and I don't understand why you consider that a wasted life. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even about the Stone Age. In fact, I'd rather have one of those guys with me in a rough bar, than somebody's little sister, unless it was
Ronae Rouse or Gina Carino or somebody like that.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
And how do you like it? I'm of the impression that many bassheads and HT enthusiast don't apply eq to their subs.
I always apply eq to my subs....all of them. MathAudio Room EQ.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #9

Dec 2007

Quote:
Hostile, much? I don't have any sisters.

Currently, I have four theaters in my home. All are mixed use, and the living room is the biggest. Four subs - two Fathom F-113 units (one is the more recent Series 2) and two SVS SB-13 units.

There's other gear in there, but of note is the Marantz 8802A, pushed by a Marantz power amp. It's a fairly complex setup, but not too bad.

The real problem is that everything has electronic adjustments for sound. The amp uses Audyssey. JL Audio has one type of parameter setter; SVS another. Which one should run first?

Should the audio environment (sound treatments) be dealt with on an individual basis, per speaker, or in concert somehow? Is fancy equipment like spectrometers necessary, or should it stay rudimentary, and subjective for the knob-twiddler?

It took about half a day to figure out the so-called electronics were overwhelmed by all this stuff. There is more (and less) involved than all these pyrotechnics - it's fine for one sub, dead in the water for four, especially for a basshead like myself. It took another (separate) half day for some basic sound treatments and adjustments, level matching and whatnot.

I started out in radar, moved to computers, and I don't understand why you consider that a wasted life. Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even about the Stone Age. In fact, I'd rather have one of those guys with me in a rough bar, than somebody's little sister, unless it was
Ronae Rouse or Gina Carino or somebody like that.
I think sound treatments like bass traps are included in the eq scenario.

I do any EQing after I've measured with sound treatments. I generally find that I need fewer filters. With MathAudio - its even easier, I measure (about 8-20 measurements), save the sum measurements, put it into the VST in JRiver and adjust my curve. Comes out very nice.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I think sound treatments like bass traps are included in the eq scenario.

I do any EQing after I've measured with sound treatments. I generally find that I need fewer filters. With MathAudio - its even easier, I measure (about 8-20 measurements), save the sum measurements, put it into the VST in JRiver and adjust my curve. Comes out very nice.

Yeah, but you're some kind of genius, unlike myself. I'm a knob-jockey from way back, unfortunately. Using the built in gear is inadequate, and can result in language that would make a sailor blush.

I've watched the gearheads from MIT and Caltech go from casual beer-drinking to name calling and non-contact fisticuffs more than once, and it scares the crap out of me. Obviously, you have it under control, simply by doing it yourself. I do it by ear, Neanderthal style, but at least it keeps my nerves from jangling like an old-school firehouse bell.

It's rough out here, man.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......

Quote:
I do it by ear, Neanderthal style
As do I.

Seeing as I'm using older gear, that's the only option I have. Let me just say, NOT ONCE has anyone ever had anything negative to say; even those with newer equipment costing A LOT more than mine....the only thing they say is wow! I have no problem taking the time and effort to do the best I can, with what I have.

I guess I'm a Neanderthal
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS

Last edited by Billy13; 02-17-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (02-18-2016), prerich (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of Diamond Capital of North America™

I got the PBK kit when I got my first Paradigm sub. In a review I read somewhere, I ran PBK first before running YPAO on my AVR. I can't tell the difference wether it improved or not. As far as I know, it didn't degrade the sound, but that sub is fairly small.
I now have a different AVR that can eq LFE, but just to certain level, which I don't know.
I haven't bothered to eq either of my subs. I'm not too crazy about what YPAO did with my last AVR and won't be doing it again.
I won't be using my PBK kit again. When I bought it, my stepson had a pc, which is what operates the PBK, but he now has a Macbook, like myself, and PBK doesn't work with Mac.

I like the above posters who tweak their bass themselves. Maybe someday, I'll do the sub crawl, but so far I like what I hear and don't feel the need to atm.

Best of luck to you!
I feel like our ship's going down tonight.
But it's always darkest before the light.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #13

Dec 2007

Quote:
Yeah, but you're some kind of genius, unlike myself. I'm a knob-jockey from way back, unfortunately. Using the built in gear is inadequate, and can result in language that would make a sailor blush.

I've watched the gearheads from MIT and Caltech go from casual beer-drinking to name calling and non-contact fisticuffs more than once, and it scares the crap out of me. Obviously, you have it under control, simply by doing it yourself. I do it by ear, Neanderthal style, but at least it keeps my nerves from jangling like an old-school firehouse bell.

It's rough out here, man.
As long as you're pleased with your sound....Nothing Else Matters !
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (02-18-2016), Krelldog1977 (02-20-2016), Scarriere (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

Aug 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

I use the Velodyne Auto-EQ feature on my sub. I like it although I haven't played around with many of the preset values.
McIntosh C220 - McIntosh MC252 - EAD T1000 - EAD DSP7000 III - Castle Acoustics Howard S3 - Velodyne SPL 1500R - RGPC 1200C/400 Pro/400 MKII...and other stuff
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
I use the Velodyne Auto-EQ feature on my sub. I like it although I haven't played around with many of the preset values.

With one sub, it works great. Two of the same model, you can get away with it if you're careful with room modes and things that affect room treatments.

Four - especially different models - and you've got a robot fight. You can try to sell tickets to it, but if you wind up like me, everybody will just throw tomatoes at you and cover their ears.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #16
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:

You have 4 subs, do you have them placed symmetrical?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
You have 4 subs, do you have them placed symmetrical?

Yeah, they're in each corner of the room, with the Fathom up front. They have noticeably greater output (and they come with microphones, the SVS units don't.) I still twiddle with everything, despite my wife giving me crazy looks. But I don't move the subs.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:23 AM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Yip I do.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and the SVS inbuilt software.

If I don't use it my room is like an earthquake. Makes films unwatchable.
Source: 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Bluray, CD, and SACD), PS3, PS4, Project 1.3 turntable.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Siglos 3 Tentation Ltd.
Headgear: iPod in Arcam Dock, Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Woo WA22(tube amp), Violectric V281(SS amp), Ether Flow and AudioQuest NightHawks.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:44 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Yip I do.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and the SVS inbuilt software.

If I don't use it my room is like an earthquake. Makes films unwatchable.

With two SVS Ultras running in there, you need to do something to tame them down. Otherwise your eyeballs will jitter and you'd have to go outside and look through a window to see a movie.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Quote:
With two SVS Ultras running in there, you need to do something to tame them down. Otherwise your eyeballs will jitter and you'd have to go outside and look through a window to see a movie.
Ya described it perfectly.

For some reason I had a massive bass bump. For memory it was around 53hz. It was 13db hot. So the SVS EQ software was set to reduce it 12db. It has worked well. Not perfectly smooth but a tolerable solution.
Source: 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Bluray, CD, and SACD), PS3, PS4, Project 1.3 turntable.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009, 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Siglos 3 Tentation Ltd.
Headgear: iPod in Arcam Dock, Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, Woo WA22(tube amp), Violectric V281(SS amp), Ether Flow and AudioQuest NightHawks.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers