Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Duel in the Sun (Roadshow Edit… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
Default Connecting 3 subwoofers

I have two 12-inch subs and one 10-inch sub that I would like to hook up to my 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Home Theater...
Any ideas of what the best setup could be in this case? Or would I be better off just connecting the two 12-inch subs by themselves?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

You are not going to get any useful feedback if you do not give us more details. Current system equipment? Subs in question, model numbers, watts, etc.? Size of room, layout? 4 walls full enclosed or open to rest of house? Etc.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
You are not going to get any useful feedback if you do not give us more details. Current system equipment? Subs in question, model numbers, watts, etc.? Size of room, layout? 4 walls full enclosed or open to rest of house? Etc.
Current system equipment Denon 910 AVR, Polk cs10 Center, Polk Tsi200 Surrounds, Onkyo Front/Upfiring (Dolby Atmos) speakers (which came with the Onkyo 7700 HTIB bundle)

Subs in question Two 12-inch Acoustic Audio HD12 and one 10-inch Onkyo (which came with the Onkyo 7700 HTIB bundle)

Size of room, layout 400-450 SqFt studio apartment, distance from MLP to front speakers 12 feet

4 walls full enclosed or open to rest of house As stated before, studio apartment with living room open to the kitchen with a piano bar dividing the two

Thanks for the help and please let me know if more info is needed
Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Current system equipment Denon 910 AVR, Polk cs10 Center, Polk Tsi200 Surrounds, Onkyo Front/Upfiring (Dolby Atmos) speakers (which came with the Onkyo 7700 HTIB bundle)

Subs in question Two 12-inch Acoustic Audio HD12 and one 10-inch Onkyo (which came with the Onkyo 7700 HTIB bundle)

Size of room, layout 400-450 SqFt studio apartment, distance from MLP to front speakers 12 feet

4 walls full enclosed or open to rest of house As stated before, studio apartment with living room open to the kitchen with a piano bar dividing the two

Thanks for the help and please let me know if more info is needed

At 12 feet, make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff between the front subs and the MLP. The ten inch unit should go in back as a sound filler.

Use splitters with proper gender connections. Avoid couplers, if you can, especially if you have only one sub output.

With all that stuff, you run the risk of sound attenuation (decreasing volume), and you don't want that if you can avoid it. Anything that cuts down the sound will just have to be made up at the sub amp.

Use one splitter to divide the signal; piggyback another splitter to get enough connections. Try to keep the AR's on the same splitter. They will get the same sound. Use the other connector for the Onkyo, which will be a longer run.

Use good splitters and cable. It doesn't need to be Monster or some other pricey kind; but get the best Monoprice has to offer, or if you're close to Best Buy or somebody, break down and get the good kind. Don't get cheap stuff, it will never sound right.

Adjust gain and crossover as needed. Don't push the little guy too hard - it will be for balance, not volume, and will not keep up with the bigger drivers for sound pressure. It's tempting to try, but different source material will do different things and you'll just wind up getting pissed off.

Make it smooth at mid-volume. That way, when it gets loud, it will deliver cleanly.

Good luck! With that stuff, it will sound great.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
At 12 feet, make sure you don't have a bunch of stuff between the front subs and the MLP. The ten inch unit should go in back as a sound filler.

Use splitters with proper gender connections. Avoid couplers, if you can, especially if you have only one sub output.

With all that stuff, you run the risk of sound attenuation (decreasing volume), and you don't want that if you can avoid it. Anything that cuts down the sound will just have to be made up at the sub amp.

Use one splitter to divide the signal; piggyback another splitter to get enough connections. Try to keep the AR's on the same splitter. They will get the same sound. Use the other connector for the Onkyo, which will be a longer run.

Use good splitters and cable. It doesn't need to be Monster or some other pricey kind; but get the best Monoprice has to offer, or if you're close to Best Buy or somebody, break down and get the good kind. Don't get cheap stuff, it will never sound right.

Adjust gain and crossover as needed. Don't push the little guy too hard - it will be for balance, not volume, and will not keep up with the bigger drivers for sound pressure. It's tempting to try, but different source material will do different things and you'll just wind up getting pissed off.

Make it smooth at mid-volume. That way, when it gets loud, it will deliver cleanly.

Good luck! With that stuff, it will sound great.
My Denon has two subwoofer plugs in the back, so what is the best way to connect the 3 subs? The bigger subs dint have LFE connections but they come with a Y splitter
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Jan 2013
Albuquerque, NM

If it were me, I'd place the two 12's equidistant to the MLP and connect the two, using a splitter, into sub out 1. That way your receiver will treat the subs as one and you'll have an easier time with calibration.

As for the 10, using sub out 2, I'd place it right behind the MLP if possible. If not, the closest you can. That way, with a near-field 10", it won't struggle to keep up with the other two.
PSN: cezbaggins
Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookymulder View Post
If it were me, I'd place the two 12's equidistant to the MLP and connect the two, using a splitter, into sub out 1. That way your receiver will treat the subs as one and you'll have an easier time with calibration.

As for the 10, using sub out 2, I'd place it right behind the MLP if possible. If not, the closest you can. That way, with a near-field 10", it won't struggle to keep up with the other two.
MLP is against back wall so smaller sub cannot go behind it. I can only put smaller sub somewhere on the MLP left side. My entry-level Denon AVR does not allow me to measure dB levels for each individual speaker so that I can ensure they are all at 75dB. So what's the easiest way to have reveiver use the two larger subs as the main ones and only use the smaller one to a lesser extent?
Should I set Gain slighly lower on the smaller sub compared to bigger subs before using autoEQ (since Audyssey will detect all three subs as a single channel)?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

Jan 2013
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
MLP is against back wall so smaller sub cannot go behind it. I can only put smaller sub somewhere on the MLP left side. My entry-level Denon AVR does not allow me to measure dB levels for each individual speaker so that I can ensure they are all at 75dB. So what's the easiest way to have receiver use the two larger subs as the main ones and only use the smaller one to a lesser extent?
Should I set Gain slightly lower on the smaller sub compared to bigger subs before using autoEQ (since Audyssey will detect all three subs as a single channel)?
Regardless of where, I would just position the smaller sub as close to you as possible. You might have to play with the crossover if you bump into localization issues.

Having a SPL is super handy. Grab a cheap one (RadioShack ones on ebay, I think; amazon has a gazillion; heck, I'd even give a smartphone app a try).

As for your receiver recognizing all three subs as one... yikes, you might have to tinker with it for a while. Remember: in the end, it doesn't matter what Audyssey does, what graphics tell you or what you read online. All that matters if it sounds good to you. Best of luck!
PSN: cezbaggins
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookymulder View Post
Regardless of where, I would just position the smaller sub as close to you as possible. You might have to play with the crossover if you bump into localization issues.

Having a SPL is super handy. Grab a cheap one (RadioShack ones on ebay, I think; amazon has a gazillion; heck, I'd even give a smartphone app a try).

As for your receiver recognizing all three subs as one... yikes, you might have to tinker with it for a while. Remember: in the end, it doesn't matter what Audyssey does, what graphics tell you or what you read online. All that matters if it sounds good to you. Best of luck!
My Denon 910 recognizes 2 or 3 subs as one entity, also it does not have the capability of check dB levelsof each individual speaker to make sure they are all at 75dB .
I will have to probably connect the 12-inch subs to sub out 1 and the smaller one to sub out to and then set the gain level lower on the smaller one as comapred to the gain on the bigger one before running calibration...after that,it's all about just manually tweaking things by trial and error
Old 02-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
My Denon 910 recognizes 2 or 3 subs as one entity, also it does not have the capability of check dB levelsof each individual speaker to make sure they are all at 75dB .
I will have to probably connect the 12-inch subs to sub out 1 and the smaller one to sub out to and then set the gain level lower on the smaller one as comapred to the gain on the bigger one before running calibration...after that,it's all about just manually tweaking things by trial and error
That's fine, you want the 3 subs recognized as one. Anyway, it seems like you're on the right course. Yep, it might take 4-6 weeks tweaking to get it right, especially since you are using mismatched subs. You might have to set the levels on each sub to about 71 dbs because when combined, you get a 3-4 dbs jump to 75 dbs, if there is no bass cancellation.

Anyway, good luck down the rabbit hole of getting LF in small room right, see you in 6 weeks.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

What's weird is that when Audyssey runs calibration, there is no sound coming out of the two larger subs, but only out of the two bigger subs. However Audyssey does not suggest to check the connections, and all three subs seem to be working just fine when I listen to them while playing blurays or streaming online
Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
What's weird is that when Audyssey runs calibration, there is no sound coming out of the two larger subs, but only out of the two bigger subs. However Audyssey does not suggest to check the connections, and all three subs seem to be working just fine when I listen to them while playing blurays or streaming online
I'm lost, do you have 3 subs or 4 subs? you reference 2 larger subs, then 2 bigger subs, then all 3 subs in the same post!
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I'm lost, do you have 3 subs or 4 subs? you reference 2 larger subs, then 2 bigger subs, then all 3 subs in the same post!
Sorry, I am at work multi-tasking LOL...
What I meant is that I have 3 subwoofers, two 12-inch subs and one 10-inch sub. All three work just fine, but when I run calibration and Audyssey is moving from one speaker to the next during calibration, when it comes to the subwoofer I hear the intermittent sound only come out of the smaller sub but not out of the two larger subs
Old 02-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Sorry, I am at work multi-tasking LOL...
What I meant is that I have 3 subwoofers, two 12-inch subs and one 10-inch sub. All three work just fine, but when I run calibration and Audyssey is moving from one speaker to the next during calibration, when it comes to the subwoofer I hear the intermittent sound only come out of the smaller sub but not out of the two larger subs
ok, is there a setting under sub woofer for sub1 & sub 2 if so, does it show both subs are present (i.e. both are shown and neither is "grayed out") which sub(s) are connected to which outputs (understanding that there will be 2 subs connected to one of the outputs.

if that's not the case and you only have sub1, but, you are still only getting one sub engaged, what are the physical settings on the other two subs?

also, do all the subs have an indicator light that changes color (or is in an on or off condition) when it receives signal and when it's sleep? example, my sub light in the back is red when sleep/standby, but, changes to blue when active/receiving signal.
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #15
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
ok, is there a setting under sub woofer for sub1 & sub 2 if so, does it show both subs are present (i.e. both are shown and neither is "grayed out") which sub(s) are connected to which outputs (understanding that there will be 2 subs connected to one of the outputs.

if that's not the case and you only have sub1, but, you are still only getting one sub engaged, what are the physical settings on the other two subs?

also, do all the subs have an indicator light that changes color (or is in an on or off condition) when it receives signal and when it's sleep? example, my sub light in the back is red when sleep/standby, but, changes to blue when active/receiving signal.
The receiver comes with two sub outputs (1 and 2).

The on-screen speaker configuration only displays one sub, but I understand that it's just how the display was designed regardless of how many subs are actually plugged in.

I have the two bigger 12-inch subs connected to sub out 1 (with a Y splitter) and the smaller 10-inch sub connected to sub out 2.

All three subs have indicator lights and all three subs can be set into "Auto" where they will activate depending of the audio signal. They stay in sleep mode if there is not much action or just dialogue going on, for example, and they activate when music or intense action scenes come on..

Even though the test tone during calibration only seems to take place with the smaller sub, when I play a movie or music they all work. However I notice that the smaller sub is the first one to activate, whereas the bigger subs activate as the audio gets busier and louder
Old 02-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
The receiver comes with two sub outputs (1 and 2).

The on-screen speaker configuration only displays one sub, but I understand that it's just how the display was designed regardless of how many subs are actually plugged in.

I have the two bigger 12-inch subs connected to sub out 1 (with a Y splitter) and the smaller 10-inch sub connected to sub out 2.

All three subs have indicator lights and all three subs can be set into "Auto" where they will activate depending of the audio signal. They stay in sleep mode if there is not much action or just dialogue going on, for example, and they activate when music or intense action scenes come on..

Even though the test tone during calibration only seems to take place with the smaller sub, when I play a movie or music they all work. However I notice that the smaller sub is the first one to activate, whereas the bigger subs activate as the audio gets busier and louder
Turn all three subs to "always on." They really don't use much wattage when left on and not receiving a signal. After changing the setting try and run Audyssey again.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Old 02-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #17
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Turn all three subs to "always on." They really don't use much wattage when left on and not receiving a signal. After changing the setting try and run Audyssey again.
Dont get me wrong, all three subwoofers are set to "on" during calibration, and only after calibration I set them to "Auto on/off"
Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, all three subwoofers are set to "on" during calibration, and only after calibration I set them to "Auto on/off"
What model is the two 12" subs?
AL

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #19
Suspended

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
What model is the two 12" subs?
Acoustic Audio HD12
Old 02-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Acoustic Audio HD12
Is your crossover set all the way up to the 130hz mark, like this:

AL

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers