Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$10.00
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Logan Lucky (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Kingsman: The Golden Circle 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42
Default occasional sub rattle

I have a pair of Technics THX subs that started to rattle at times.Yesterday watching the new Star Wars BD it happened several times.In some scences bass vibrated the sectional---no rattle.Then in some others there it was.These are dual subs with two 8" subs with 10" passive radiators.I inspected one of the speakers last week,no rips in the surrounds.Anyone know what might be the problem?
Old 04-09-2016, 04:28 AM   #2

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
I have a pair of Technics THX subs that started to rattle at times.Yesterday watching the new Star Wars BD it happened several times.In some scences bass vibrated the sectional---no rattle.Then in some others there it was.These are dual subs with two 8" subs with 10" passive radiators.I inspected one of the speakers last week,no rips in the surrounds.Anyone know what might be the problem?
This audible rattle may be originating from somewhere other than the speaker possibly....not from the driver. Exactly when ( times ) in the new SW movie did the rattles occur?

You have some really cool gear, I must say. Try playing music with consistent bass hits to give the speakers a workout,. ..If there is a rattle you should have enough time to isolate the sound exactly where it originates. Keep us posted- good luck!
B
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )
Old 04-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #3

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

[QUOTE=Krelldog1977;12087629]This audible rattle may be originating from somewhere other than the speaker possibly....not from the driver. Exactly when ( times ) in the new SW movie did the rattles occur?

You have some really cool gear, I must say. Try playing music with consistent bass hits to give the speakers a workout,. ..If there is a rattle you should have enough time to isolate the sound exactly where it originates. Keep us Thanks..I can't remember exactly but I listened to a DVD Audio disc the other day and heard no rattle.I put my head in front of the speaker and that is where the rattle is coming from.Both subs are doing it at the same time.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

[quote=lghaze42;12087802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
This audible rattle may be originating from somewhere other than the speaker possibly....not from the driver. Exactly when ( times ) in the new SW movie did the rattles occur?

You have some really cool gear, I must say. Try playing music with consistent bass hits to give the speakers a workout,. ..If there is a rattle you should have enough time to isolate the sound exactly where it originates. Keep us Thanks..I can't remember exactly but I listened to a DVD Audio disc the other day and heard no rattle.I put my head in front of the speaker and that is where the rattle is coming from.Both subs are doing it at the same time.

They're clipping, from being overdriven. Ported subs fall victim to this all the time, but sealed subs, too. Some knob-twiddling will probably eliminate it.

At the outset, remember where the gain or volume is set. Play the same passage that is clipping, again, as you slowly lower the gain, until it's gone. You like that loudness, but you want to eliminate rattling noises. Note where it goes away.

Then return you setting to where it was, and do the same to any frequency setting - higher or lower - and see if that eliminates it. This may not work, but use your judgement - all amps are different, and it may be "unloading" from insufficient power when it's playing at a certain frequency. It will change, getting better or worse depending on the situation. Usually the higher the frequency, the more power it wants, but try both.

Play with both the gain/volume, and the frequency. It sounds like the speaker driver itself is doing fine, and it's the amp that's giving you the problem. In your case, it's just an overdriven amp, most likely. And test all this with the same source - a deep one - and after you're happy with it, try others.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #5

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

[quote=Blu-Dog;12088469]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post

They're clipping, from being overdriven. Ported subs fall victim to this all the time, but sealed subs, too. Some knob-twiddling will probably eliminate it.

At the outset, remember where the gain or volume is set. Play the same passage that is clipping, again, as you slowly lower the gain, until it's gone. You like that loudness, but you want to eliminate rattling noises. Note where it goes away.

Then return you setting to where it was, and do the same to any frequency setting - higher or lower - and see if that eliminates it. This may not work, but use your judgement - all amps are different, and it may be "unloading" from insufficient power when it's playing at a certain frequency. It will change, getting better or worse depending on the situation. Usually the higher the frequency, the more power it wants, but try both.

Play with both the gain/volume, and the frequency. It sounds like the speaker driver itself is doing fine, and it's the amp that's giving you the problem. In your case, it's just an overdriven amp, most likely. And test all this with the same source - a deep one - and after you're happy with it, try others.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia

Thanks.I was also thinking it might have something to do with the amps.Although it seems odd that both of them would act up.I don't think the amps were made by Technics.If I could figure a way to run the power to my Technics SE-A5MK2 power amp I would hook them to my B speakers and use it to power them.150 wpc, and would also be able to control the subs' volume with the preamp.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers