Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Avengers: Infinity War (Blu-ray)
€19.99
 
Justice League (Blu-ray)
€15.00
 
Better Call Saul: Season Three (Blu-ray)
€9.99
 
I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
€15.60
32 min ago
Les Bleus 2018 au coeur de l'épopée russe (Blu-ray)
€15.99
17 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super - L'intégrale box 1 - Épisodes 01-46 (Blu-ray)
€54.99
 
Sakura (Blu-ray)
€57.26
17 hrs ago
True Blood: The Complete Season 6 (Blu-ray)
€10.00
 
Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.55
 
Tout le monde debout (Blu-ray)
€12.00
17 hrs ago
Passengers 3D (Blu-ray)
€13.96
 
Lang Lang: At the Highest Level - Documentary on the Recording & Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3 (Blu-ray)
€10.90
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 AM   #1
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2787
137
5
12
France Showgirls (Paul Verhoeven) (4K Restoration) -- September 14th, 2016



Pathé will release a new edition of Paul Verhoeven's Showgirls (1995) in France on September 14th, 2016. This release will be sourced from a new 4K scan of the original camera negative, with image restoration by Technicolor and sound restoration by L.E. Diapason, under the supervision of Pathé and Paul Verhoeven. It seems that the new master was screened via DCP at the Cinémathèque française back in February 2016, with Verhoeven in attendance.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Last edited by McCrutchy; 06-04-2016 at 01:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (09-15-2016), Leslie Dame (06-04-2016), sleeperbloke (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
ThisKid ThisKid is offline
Special Member
 
ThisKid's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
You will have to find me to figure that out!
419
52
2
Default

Wow. The thought of this film getting a 4K Restoration from the Original Negative has always been a joke, but now, people took it too seriously.
Criterion is nice,
Arrow is too.
Mention Echo Bridge,
Well, no one will miss you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2787
137
5
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisKid View Post
Wow. The thought of this film getting a 4K Restoration from the Original Negative has always been a joke, but now, people took it too seriously.
It's not that surprising, really. Most of Verhoeven's films are beloved in Europe, including this one. If you are not as twitchy about nudity and sex as "most" Americans are, then the film is simply a campy burlesque drama. The most unpleasant and adult part of the film--what happens to Nomi's friend in the hotel--went unmentioned by the MPAA in the NC-17 rating, and more importantly, barely registered here anyway, which is deeply disturbing. Instead, the outcry was over the amount of breasts in the film, which if you think about it, is absolutely ludicrous.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (09-15-2016), OutOfBoose (11-27-2016), PoloPony (01-03-2018)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
Socko Socko is online now
Power Member
 
Socko's Avatar
 
Jun 2009
Netherlands
4
627
9
Default

The number one NC-17 movie according to Boxofficemojo
It made twice as much as the number two movie. That's impressive.
This is also the only movie that's not my cup of tea.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
adlantis adlantis is offline
Junior Member
 
adlantis's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Paris
1
Default

I was at the Cinematheque at the showgirls projection (Paul Verhoeven was there and it was for a night or there was Total Recall, Showgirls and Starship Troopers), the dcp was indeed the new master 4k beautiful, the colors, the definition!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Arch Stanton Arch Stanton is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Arch Stanton's Avatar
 
Oct 2014
626
61
Default

Great movie.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (09-15-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2787
137
5
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko View Post
The number one NC-17 movie according to Boxofficemojo
It made twice as much as the number two movie. That's impressive.
This is also the only movie that's not my cup of tea.
This is the only NC-17 film that has ever had a wide commercial release, though. Indeed, if Box Office Mojo is correct, it opened in over eighteen times as many theaters--1,388 locations--in 1995 as Henry and June (the "second place" NC-17 film) did in 1990. When Showgirls failed at the box office, the studios and theater chains got cold feet about NC-17, and, to this day, NC-17 is considered the kiss of death for any Hollywood film, and it's enormously rare to see one outside of an independent theater in a major city. Almost all of the NC-17 films that opened after Showgirls played in less than ten theaters, and most of them played in less than five theaters.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Rockercub Rockercub is offline
Power Member
 
Rockercub's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA
964
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlantis View Post
I was at the Cinematheque at the showgirls projection (Paul Verhoeven was there and it was for a night or there was Total Recall, Showgirls and Starship Troopers), the dcp was indeed the new master 4k beautiful, the colors, the definition!
Very cool! So how did it play? I assume people were more respectful because Verhoeven was there, but when I saw it at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery screening recently, people were laughing and yelling back at the screen. I felt kind of bad because Elizabeth Berkeley was there and a lot of the laughs were at her expense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
adlantis adlantis is offline
Junior Member
 
adlantis's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Paris
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockercub View Post
Very cool! So how did it play? I assume people were more respectful because Verhoeven was there, but when I saw it at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery screening recently, people were laughing and yelling back at the screen. I felt kind of bad because Elizabeth Berkeley was there and a lot of the laughs were at her expense.

In France we have a lot to be fans of Showgirls and Paul Verhoeven, the film is now in our worship.
Everything went well for Verhoeven, he was acclaimed a great ovation when he came at the Cinematheque in Paris, he presented Hitchcock's Vertigo, and these films during the night with Showgirls, Total Recall, Starship troopers, he talked to for 45 minutes;
He also made the day a master class and presented Spetters director cut, and there by cons I've seen some people be shocked, there was also in the audience children of the staff of the Cinematheque, one of girls of the staff should have at most 13 or 14 years ...
If I saw her last film "SHE" I loved it, although very French as film, however it may be controversy usa
To view the master class here is the link, I'm the one with the scarf back at the end of the applause (Verhoeven speaks English in the video):



Last edited by adlantis; 06-05-2016 at 12:52 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (09-15-2016), Visionist (11-25-2017), whiteberry (08-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #10
Rockercub Rockercub is offline
Power Member
 
Rockercub's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA
964
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlantis View Post
In France we have a lot to be fans of Showgirls and Paul Verhoeven, the film is now in our worship.
Everything went well for Verhoeven, he was acclaimed a great ovation when he came at the Cinematheque in Paris, he presented Hitchcock's Vertigo, and these films during the night with Showgirls, Total Recall, Starship troopers, he talked to for 45 minutes;
He also made the day a master class and presented Spetters director cut, and there by cons I've seen some people be shocked, there was also in the audience children of the staff of the Cinematheque, one of girls of the staff should have at most 13 or 14 years ...
If I saw her last film "SHE" I loved it, although very French as film, however it may be controversy usa
To view the master class here is the link, I'm the one with the scarf back at the end of the applause (Verhoeven speaks English in the video):


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRN995BJSfk
Interesting! Here in the U.S., it's more of a cult film. I can't wait for Elle. I think it's being released here in November. Hopefully no controversy, but you never know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:27 AM   #11
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2787
137
5
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockercub View Post
Interesting! Here in the U.S., it's more of a cult film. I can't wait for Elle. I think it's being released here in November. Hopefully no controversy, but you never know.
Count me in for Elle, also. The combination of Verhoeven and Huppert was more then enough, but the strong reviews are the icing on the cake. As with Showgirls, I will try hard to wait for the American Blu-ray, and while we're practically guaranteed one for Elle next year from Sony, I may have to give in to my desires and import a French Blu-ray, which is hopefully coming in September, too, as long as France is still trading in physical media in September...
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (09-15-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 01:47 AM   #12
adlantis adlantis is offline
Junior Member
 
adlantis's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Paris
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Count me in for Elle, also. The combination of Verhoeven and Huppert was more then enough, but the strong reviews are the icing on the cake. As with Showgirls, I will try hard to wait for the American Blu-ray, and while we're practically guaranteed one for Elle next year from Sony, I may have to give in to my desires and import a French Blu-ray, which is hopefully coming in September, too, as long as France is still trading in physical media in September...

For the blu ray of "ELLE" in France, I think it was not until October / November ... If there is a blu ray dvd and not just a ...
With us the blu ray is selling very bad, especially for French films ... But it Verhoeven so I hope a blu ray!
And also a CD of film music by Anne Dudley, but this is not at home it out.
His next film will still be with us thanks to producer Said Ben Said, and it will be on the French resistance, and resistance networks that brought the fall of Jean Moulin ... He gave as provisionally "Lyon 1943" as ca this will be his trilogy of historical resistance after Soldier of Orange and Black Book
But I wish he returns to us, for a more ambitious movie ...
Paul Verhoeven (n°1 the best) ; Roman Polanski; Woody Allen; Catherine Breillat; Michael Mann ; William Friedkin ; Michael Cimino ; Brian de Palma ; Martin Scorsese ; Steven Spielberg ; James Cameron ; Mel Gibson ; Luc Besson ( just Gaumont ) Jean Jacques Annaud ; Dario Argento; Maurice Pialat ; Henri Georges Clouzot ; Alfred Hitchcock ; Stanley Kubrick ; Pier Paolo Pasolini ; Sergio Leone ; David Lean ; ... And more and more...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rockercub (06-05-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
billyearle billyearle is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan
2736
467
5
Default

Wow really exciting and unexpected! So, any hints or speculation as to when we'll see a blu-ray? I always thought this was another great Verhoven film with his trademark humor and edge, even though I haven't seen it since it first came out on VHS. I bought the US BD but haven't gotten around to it, will put off watching it if we get a non forced subs remastered BD.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Mierzwiak Mierzwiak is offline
Senior Member
 
Mierzwiak's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
126
Default

Here's a little comparison between US Blu-ray and new transfer from Pathe. Take it with a grain of salt since this images, obviously, doesn't fully represent quality of both Blu-ray and the new transfer.

What do you guys think? If the youtube trailer of new Blu-ray shows what we can expect in terms of color, I like the new transfer better, looks much more natural to me.

MGM Blu-ray (TOP) - Pathe 4K restoration (BOTTOM)





  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
billyearle (09-16-2016), DADDYCOOL187 (08-23-2017), JackForrester (09-15-2016), whiteberry (08-06-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
tenia tenia is offline
Banned
 
Sep 2010
France
2
2452
103
Default

I'll see more in detailed when I'll have the disc in my hands, but if these caps are relatively representative, it seems that the old disc is too pink-ish (which wouldn't be unusual with older MGM discs) while the new one seems to favor a color-scheme which reminds me of some Pathé's releases like 2 hommes dans la ville or 3 hommes à abattre (ie yellowish + metal-blue) for which I'm not sure if it's faithful or not to the original color-scheme.

1st cap looks pretty nice, though, but I'm not sure about the last one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
P-Rock P-Rock is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2015
The Netherlands
3
Default

Isn't the MGM supposed to look like that? It's like they removed the entire colour filter for the remaster.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
PoloPony (01-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #17
Sleazeaddict Sleazeaddict is offline
Expert Member
 
Sleazeaddict's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
It's not that surprising, really. Most of Verhoeven's films are beloved in Europe, including this one. If you are not as twitchy about nudity and sex as "most" Americans are, then the film is simply a campy burlesque drama. The most unpleasant and adult part of the film--what happens to Nomi's friend in the hotel--went unmentioned by the MPAA in the NC-17 rating, and more importantly, barely registered here anyway, which is deeply disturbing. Instead, the outcry was over the amount of breasts in the film, which if you think about it, is absolutely ludicrous.
That part always remind me Haitian Jack & 2Pac rape case, wonder if Verhoven was aware of the story before shooting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:17 AM   #18
Jlouisbarrett Jlouisbarrett is offline
Power Member
 
Jlouisbarrett's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Maine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rock View Post
Isn't the MGM supposed to look like that? It's like they removed the entire colour filter for the remaster.
Yeah, uhh... I'm wondering the same thing. The previous transfer looks to me like the film had stylistic filters applied and they were removed for the new scan... Hmmm!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
PoloPony (01-03-2018)
Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #19
BluPat BluPat is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BluPat's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Texas
835
72
2
Default

I love this movie. I actually like the original MGM color scheme more.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
PoloPony (01-03-2018)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #20
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
2787
137
5
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Rock View Post
Isn't the MGM supposed to look like that? It's like they removed the entire colour filter for the remaster.
I doubt it, really.

I suspect that the 2010 MGM BD/DVD combo was probably based off of the 2004 VIP Edition DVD master (in between, Fox/MGM re-released the DVD in 2007 as a single-disc "Fully Exposed Edition", but I believe that just dropped the trailer) which was probably done in 1080p, and probably the second time the film was scanned beyond the first video editions of the film in 1996.

More importantly, even if MGM did go back and make a new 2K/HD master for the BD, I can't help but notice that Mr. Verhoeven has been conspicuously absent from every single video edition of the film released in the US, which probably means he didn't supervise those two/three transfers, or at least not their mastering onto DVD or Blu-ray.

Now, I have no evidence that Mr. Verhoeven has done this with Pathé, and I don't believe they have specifically stated he has in publicity materials. However, we do know he appeared in France with Pathé's new 4K DCP, and we know he will also appear in extras on their upcoming video release, making this the first home video edition of Showgirls with the kind of obvious participation Mr. Verhoeven has on most or all of his other films.

I won't comment on the colors in the trailer, because they could be unfinished versus the BD (I know the DCP is done), but I'm not too sure we should be holding the MGM BD up as "how the film is supposed to look", given the film, and the circumstances surrounding it. I should think it more likely that Pathé have finally gotten the look of the film to Mr. Verhoeven's satisfaction, even if that means it looks different than the MGM video editions.

Which is why it is so frustrating that Pathé will probably have forced subtitles on this release. The film isn't even uncut in the UK, and I don't know if it would skate by the BBFC unscathed even today. But I also don't see this 4K master coming out anywhere else, considering that Germany has yet to indulge in any Pathé master, and Japan just released a disc last year, which may or may not be censored.

My fingers are crossed, but my hopes are ready to be dashed. I'm hoping for a miracle, as surely Mr. Verhoeven doesn't want to view the Blu-ray with imposed French subtitles, either...
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 PM.