Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
BTOOOM!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #41
Banned

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post
cliffs?

just to let you know...HDMI cables run for 6 - 10 bucks each, no need for overpriced stuff like monster cables

the 605 can be found for under 400 bucks...

and for the money you paid for the SONY 50" SXRD, you probably could have gotten a great LCD set..
Thanks a million for making me feel even better about the mistakes I made buying into this technology; so you are saying that LCD is that much better than the rear projection displays, is that right? I had a feeling about this and it was too late after my purchase to realize the mistake. So rear projection is that much worse than LCD?

I got a great price on my 605; that wasnt the issue at all. The Monster Cable was another story; I knew I was going to get flamed for that. How about the remainder of my post? Any suggestions on that? I already know the mistakes I made so no need to reaggrevate that wound.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #42
Banned

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Linear PCM and Bitstream theoretically should sound identical. But since the player does not send high resolution via bitstream, Linear PCM is your only option...and doesnt really matter, its the same in the end. (by the way, not many players send via bitstream anyways.)

second, you should turn "downmix" to off.

third, you got zapped on the Monster HDMI cable. (www.monoprice.com)
Thanks.....indeed, I have PCM DOWNCONVERSION to OFF....but what is the deal with the MASTER AUDIO tracks as I indicated above....what is my player doing to these things when I set it to PCM or BITSTREAM being that the player cant handle these? And why does BITSTREAM sound better when playing Master Audio tracks from discs like "Live Free or Die Hard"?

And is my 605's display reading right when it says "MULTICHANNEL" when playing these uncompressed PCM tracks? Am I HEARING the actual uncompressed audio?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #43
Special Member

Nov 2007
Minnesota
Default Along the same line of questioning...

I went to my Sister-in-Law's place to get her PS3 (20G) to work with her stereo (which I was able to do) but was unable to get video playback for a BD movie. I set up output to accept 720p and 1080i as her TV is not full HD (1080p) - she had it set for only 480. I was able to get sound but no picture. I am able to get picture for the PS3 menu screen but as soon as the BD movie starts, the picture is gone. The HDMI cable is hooked from her PS3 into the receiver and then the other out of the receiver into the TV.

I spent 2 hours trying to get it straight and left frustrated. I wanted to keep at but had to get kids of the school bus.

Does HDMI prevent picture for TV resolutions under 1080?

I have a 60G PS3 and a 60" Sony full HD TV and Sony receiver and I don't think I spent even half that time setting up mine last year.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #44

Feb 2007
Send a message via AIM to powersfoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scotty View Post
Thanks a million for making me feel even better about the mistakes I made buying into this technology; so you are saying that LCD is that much better than the rear projection displays, is that right? I had a feeling about this and it was too late after my purchase to realize the mistake. So rear projection is that much worse than LCD?

I got a great price on my 605; that wasnt the issue at all. The Monster Cable was another story; I knew I was going to get flamed for that. How about the remainder of my post? Any suggestions on that? I already know the mistakes I made so no need to reaggrevate that wound.
It's definitely debatable as to which is better SXRD (rear projection) or LCD. I think the SXRD looks absolutely fantastic at 60" and probably just as good at 50". My brothers Sony Bravia 46" LCD looks great too. So the difference is minimal. LCD cost more so it must be better, right? lol I think they both look fantastic. I don't think you wasted money... okay, except for the 2 HDMI cables you bought. You can get them both at amazon.com right now for $0.37 each, marked down from $19.99: http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Feet-Supe...6110447&sr=8-1

Great setup, btw.
Sony 40 (x2) & 60 GB PS3
Sony KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD
Sony STR-DG810 5.1/6.1 Receiver
blu-ray.com folding@home rank: 4

Last edited by powersfoss; 11-27-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #45
Expert Member

Jan 2007

I'm in the market for an Onkyo605 as well. Sure am curious about solutions to OP's queries...

Sir Terrence: Any thoughts?

Rup.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #46
Special Member

Feb 2007
Just left of the Alpha Quadrant

Quote:

For LCD vs RP it depends on the brand & model #, everyone that I know that has a LCD (they got sonys & samsungs) always go OOH ooh when they see my SXRD.

you want to use MULTICHANNEL with PCM. BITSTREAM for DTS & dolby
'A verbal agreement is as good as the paper it is writen on'

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #47
Special Member

Jun 2007
Clearwater FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon View Post
but a sxrd tv is better then a lcd.
yes, if you feel like exchaging bulbs every few months...

its been reported by consumerreports that people with LCD or Plasma sets are better off than peeps with rear projection units..
Warner Brothers needs their blu-ray department remastered!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #48
Special Member

Jun 2007
Clearwater FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon View Post
For LCD vs RP it depends on the brand & model #, everyone that I know that has a LCD (they got sonys & samsungs) always go OOH ooh when they see my SXRD.
no need to compare my Sammy 4665 with and SXRD, SXRD is not even close to my set
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #49

Apr 2007
Queens, NY

Quote:

Hey DJ Scotty, don't feel bad at all. Congrats on your new system. Sincerely. We here just need to put our heads together to see how we can improve it. Don't feel bad at all. We just like to put our $.02 in. Don't feel bad about your display. Everyone has their reasons for buying a certain type of display. I chose an LCD because I play games and I was afraid of burn ins. Not once, while I was in the buying process, that I thought that LCD was superior to all and that is why I'm buying it. Good luck with your setup. Now i gotta continue reading your first 2 posts.
---------------
52" Bravia KDL-XBR2 (now old school)
Launch Playstation 3 60GB (upgraded HD 320GB)
---------------
PSN: Adamantium_balls
Now playing: COD Black Ops II
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

Quote:
Rear Projection tv bulbs are rated for more than 8000 hours and some more than twice that. That is an entire year of your television being on 24/7 before the bulb has reached it's halflife. My parents have had a projection tv for twenty years and never replaced the bulb.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #51
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:

its been reported by consumerreports that people with LCD or Plasma sets are better off then rear projection units..
CR is for cars NOT electronics. & I have read that report, it said DPL's tv are not that reliable.

Where did you get a few months, I have had my tv for about 8 months same lamp. The lamp will last me about 3+ years with 8 hours a day.

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein
Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #52
Special Member

Jun 2007
Clearwater FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3plus52XBR2 View Post
Hey DJ Scotty, don't feel bad at all. Congrats on your new system. Sincerely. We here just need to put our heads together to see how we can improve it. Don't feel bad at all. We just like to put our $.02 in. Don't feel bad about your display. Everyone has their reasons for buying a certain type of display. I chose an LCD because I play games and I was afraid of burn ins. Not once, while I was in the buying process, that I thought that LCD was superior to all and that is why I'm buying it. Good luck with your setup. Now i gotta continue reading your first 2 posts.

I agree, if you are happy with your set, enjoy it, dont let myself burst your bubble
Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #53

Feb 2007
San Diego

Quote:

its been reported by consumerreports that people with LCD or Plasma sets are better off than peeps with rear projection units..
Had my SXRD and used it A LOT for over a year and never had to replace the bulb and the picture is AMAZING. Not all rear projections are created equal, the SXRD is definitely the best one of them all that I've seen.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #54
Expert Member

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliesr View Post
I went to my Sister-in-Law's place to get her PS3 (20G) to work with her stereo (which I was able to do) but was unable to get video playback for a BD movie. I set up output to accept 720p and 1080i as her TV is not full HD (1080p) - she had it set for only 480. I was able to get sound but no picture. I am able to get picture for the PS3 menu screen but as soon as the BD movie starts, the picture is gone. The HDMI cable is hooked from her PS3 into the receiver and then the other out of the receiver into the TV.

I spent 2 hours trying to get it straight and left frustrated. I wanted to keep at but had to get kids of the school bus.

Does HDMI prevent picture for TV resolutions under 1080?

I have a 60G PS3 and a 60" Sony full HD TV and Sony receiver and I don't think I spent even half that time setting up mine last year.
I could be mistaken - and am suggesting the most simple point that I've found some people overlook. After you changed the PS3's setup to output through the HDMI, did you change the TV's input channel to the one connected to the HDMI? The audio signal may have come through the receiver - and the video (i.e. black screen) may have been the one connected to the component cables.

Forgive me if you've already tried this.

Rup.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #55
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup_Muk View Post
I could be mistaken - and am suggesting the most simple point that I've found some people overlook. After you changed the PS3's setup to output through the HDMI, did you change the TV's input channel to the one connected to the HDMI? The audio signal may have come through the receiver - and the video (i.e. black screen) may have been the one connected to the component cables.

Forgive me if you've already tried this.

Rup.
Or It could be a hdmi hdcp issue, what is the model # of that tv?
Did try to bypass the reciever & run the hdmi stright to the tv?

A very few recievers with HDMI will only pass a 420p signal, so you got a model # for the receiver?

Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

You should probably trade in that BD10A for a BD30

It cannot pass TrueHD and DTS-HDMA via bitream over HDMI to your reciever. You don't need the internal decoding and you gain profile 1.1 compliance and picture in picture.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #57
Expert Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
At triple the price, I should hope so.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 AM   #58

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkelley View Post
Rear Projection tv bulbs are rated for more than 8000 hours and some more than twice that. That is an entire year of your television being on 24/7 before the bulb has reached it's halflife. My parents have had a projection tv for twenty years and never replaced the bulb.
20 year old RP TVs did not have bulbs, they had CRT tubes. Typically rated at 10-12,000 hours to half brightness.

Mfrs rate the lamps in their RPTVs at 8000 hours, but they get horrendously dim by that time if they last that long. I would expect a more realistic usable life of 3-4000 hours.

That said, An SxRD TV has probably the best picture on the market for a TV. The downsides are size of the box, and as pointed out, at some point you will need to change the lamp.

BB
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #59

Oct 2007
Melbourne, Australia

I am running the onkyo 674 amp that does not support the new codecs but does support PCM/bitstream. I configured my pioneer lx70 to converter all sound ie dolby truhd to bitstream and pass it through to the amp. The amp displays exactly as described in your first post.

I was curious at the beginning as well but when tested the uncompressed movie to the origional dolby digital version the difference was enormous!

I also rang the onkyo tech support and they confirmed it was working exactly how it should.

even my fiance turned around and said "so that is why we spent so much money on these new bloody speakers i didnt want "
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #60
Banned

Nov 2007

Thanks For The Reply,

It's definitely debatable as to which is better SXRD (rear projection) or LCD. I think the SXRD looks absolutely fantastic at 60" and probably just as good at 50".

Hmmmmm....interesting....I feel the $1500 we spent on this SXRD set (on sale) was kind of a letdown because when watching even 1080p Blu ray discs the quality...well.....just "isn't that great"....I mean there tends to be a great deal of film grain running in the background of most of the Blu ray titles I have seen and/or own. The thing is....I saw a Blu ray demo at Sears, being shown on one of Sony's new LCD "floating glass frame" sets where they were running a Pirates of the Caribbean clip....the scene looked absolutely amazing....there was a three dimensional character to the sequence which made Johnny Depp look like he was coming out of the screen right at us; I had never seen anything like it. Unfortunately, we could not afford the price tag on the LCD sets, and like I said, I got our SXRD on sale for $1500, so I dont know what the other poster was saying about "for that money you spent on the SXRD 50" you could have gotten a good LCD...." At any rate, the installer who worked with me on the project said, after I complained about the way 1080p looked on this SXRD, "well, this is not going to look like LCD....this has bulbs producing the color and image....it just wont look like LCD...." making me feel bad about going rear projection.

My brothers Sony Bravia 46" LCD looks great too. So the difference is minimal. LCD cost more so it must be better, right?

Indeed -- thats what they had me thinking too...we had to stay within a budget, and this $1500 SXRD seemed to make sense; but I cant help but think LCD looks better than rear projection....yet, like you said, the difference must be minimal....

lol I think they both look fantastic. I don't think you wasted money... okay, except for the 2 HDMI cables you bought. You can get them both at amazon.com right now for $0.37 each, marked down from $19.99: [url="http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Feet-Super-Resolution-Cable/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196110447& sr=8-1&tag=blurayforum-20"]http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Feet-Supe...6110447&sr=8-1

Well....I am kicking myself for buying this $70 HDMI cable from the installer; I mean, I trusted him because this thing is THICK and heavy, which he claimed would make for great isolation and shielding; I hope this is not where my problem of grain and pixelation is coming from on the display, whereby he sold me some shit cable.

Great setup, btw.

Do you mean my setup? If so, thank you; it sure cost us a bundle! Are you referring to the Onkyo and Panasonic and such?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion