Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Split (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #1141
Special Member

Jan 2010
In my theatre room
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbofett View Post
1:1 straight direct caps from the blu-ray used, saved as uncompressed *.BMP and the only re-compression used is on imgur

check out the pink in #7, Liam Neeson's face in #11, the blacks in #18, the yellows in #'s 19-20, or, the fine image detail in #'s 20-21, the jacket in #26, or even Castillo's facial acne scars

Looks great, can't wait to binge watch over the Holidays. This will look amazing on my Epson projector with Darbeevision
Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #1142
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

Looks like old masters to me. Faces look waxy with little to no grain. Of course that is just my opinion from the screencaps above.
He'll Be Back...
Thanks given by:
Trekkie313 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #1143
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

Those caps look very good. My only experience with this show (other than when I was a kid) was streaming it on NetFlix, and this is miles ahead of that.

Looking forward to picking this up soon.

Edit: Well now I just saw the news of the series being released in the UK with more room on the discs per episode, etc.. Hmmm...
Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60 - Yamaha Aventage RX-A860 - (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, (Rears) Infinity P163's

Last edited by DasRetroKid; 10-13-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #1144

Sep 2016

Watched "Brother's Keeper" last night. Looks great, although I noticed distracting heavy grain in some darker scenes (the scene where Sonny is talking with his ex-wife in the living room, especially - and just in shots of him, not her) and a couple of moments when the audio seemed a little out-of-sync. Not a huge deal compared to the overall quality.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #1145

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
You can buy these cases, but be warned: They are thicker than the cases Mill Creek used in this set so they won't fit in the cardboard cover.. At least not all 5 of them. The cases in the link are same ones used in The Sopranos set and you can see in the pic that I posted earlier that they are thicker:

If you care about that, that is. But I don't know, some might even throw the cardboard slip cover away.

But these cases used by Mill Creek are actually rare. I don't know where they could be bought.
Thanks big time for this post. To me, if replacing the case makes them not properly fit in the box anymore, its not worth it. If the discs are not already damaged when I receive them, I don't think they will ever get damaged in my possession. Besides, I cannot remember a time when I had a Blu-ray disc that was too scratched to play.

Almost NEVER bought used DVDs, but I have become more comfortable with buying used BD over the years when the price or the item (or both) are right. Ironically, the only BDs I own that I can remember not working are ones I bought NEW. I want to say there is a disc or two of some Smallville seasons that don't work on some episodes (not scratched in the slightest) and recently I could not get my Skynet edition of T2 to load to the menu (not scratched).
Old 10-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #1146

Nov 2010

Also, I was going to say that I thought 4 disc-ers existed in this size, but after taking a look at my shelf, maybe not. Dollhouse seasons, Firefly, and Hannibal are all in regular-sized cases, but they all only have 3 discs.

EDIT: Just checked with my case sources and sure enough, the only way you can fit four discs into that size is on a stacker.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #1147

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOz View Post
Also, I was going to say that I thought 4 disc-ers existed in this size, but after taking a look at my shelf, maybe not. Dollhouse seasons, Firefly, and Hannibal are all in regular-sized cases, but they all only have 3 discs.

EDIT: Just checked with my case sources and sure enough, the only way you can fit four discs into that size is on a stacker.

True!
MC MV cases are 14mm stackers...

15mm is the closest non-stacker case and will not fit in the MC MV Slipbox.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #1148

Dec 2014
Raleigh NC

Got Amazon to send me a replacement order for the one they messed up by sending it in a bubble mailer. Free one day shipping along with ups exchange at my door for the messed up one. Hoping they send it in a box this time around. I did mention it in my complaint to customer service a million times to send it in a box lol
Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #1149
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Finished disc one tonight. The picture quality really depends on the scene, it is very up and down. Some stuff looks flat and washed out, not a ton of detail. Some stuff looks vibrant and detailed, a huge boost over the DVD. Really just depends. Yes a lot of night scenes have a lot of grain, as someone else said, but that is GOOD. Some daytime scenes look almost grain-managed as I said before, but I think it's the just the film and conditions.

Still no audio issues at all, but again I use the 2.0 track for purity's sake and because I use headphones anyway. Show is still great, though obviously finding it's footing after the pilot. "Return of Calderone" is so good though.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-13-2016), rufusswigwell (10-13-2016), The Great Owl (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #1150

Sep 2016

I know grain is logically good, I hear aficianados say that all the time, but it still looks hideous to me in some instances. The low-lit scene I mentioned of Sonny in his ex-wife's house looks like it was shot on a crappy cell phone cell without flash and hi-def only highlights this. I can't fool my eye into thinking it's good. It's just the reality of it.

I know Limburger Cheese is a delicacy to some but it still smells like feet to me.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #1151
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveFork View Post
I know grain is logically good, I hear aficianados say that all the time, but it still looks hideous to me in some instances. The low-lit scene I mentioned of Sonny in his ex-wife's house looks like it was shot on a crappy cell phone cell without flash and hi-def only highlights this. I can't fool my eye into thinking it's good. It's just the reality of it.

I know Limburger Cheese is a delicacy to some but it still smells like feet to me.

Whether you think it looks good or not the only way to get rid of it is to manipulate the image and lose detail, and that is objectively bad. It's really just that simple.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #1152

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Whether you think it looks good or not the only way to get rid of it is to manipulate the image and lose detail, and that is objectively bad. It's really just that simple.
Heretical, I know, but I wouldn't mind if they implemented a digital filter that smoothed over grain and intuitively filled in missing areas like cloning in Photoshop. You have a show like Star Trek TNG that has been cleaned up and is bright, but the grain on the Blu-Ray can just jump out at you. I accept it but it bothers me, and I kind of wouldn't mind manupulation to remove it.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #1153
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Heretical, I know, but I wouldn't mind if they implemented a digital filter that smoothed over grain and intuitively filled in missing areas like cloning in Photoshop. You have a show like Star Trek TNG that has been cleaned up and is bright, but the grain on the Blu-Ray can just jump out at you. I accept it but it bothers me, and I kind of wouldn't mind manupulation to remove it.
Make those changes with your TV, and don't expect studios to give you that on a disc. That way, the rest of us have the choice to do the right thing
The plural of GIALLO is GIALLI
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (10-13-2016), TheOneWithThePrize (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #1154
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Wow! The PQ in those above MV Blu screen-shots is unbelievable - very sharp! You can actually see the texture details on some of the clothing. And, the gray/white in Castillo's hair is a lot more obvious here; not sure I noticed this (as much, if at all) on the DVD's.

I know the whole show on Blu won't look this good, but the examples above are, at the least, samples of how at least some of the MV PQ is on Blu. Very impressive.

I still haven't had a chance to delve into my Blu set yet, but am especially looking forward to this now.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 10-13-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #1155
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Metro Detroit Area

12mm 4-disc cases that aren't stackers exist, but I've only seen Lionsgate use them so far, and I haven't found them available to purchase anywhere.
Obsessed with TV shows on Blu-ray.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #1156

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
Make those changes with your TV, and don't expect studios to give you that on a disc. That way, the rest of us have the choice to do the right thing
We're getting to the point, if we're not there already, where the scourge of film grain can be removed to preserve a crystal-clear picture for future generations and you wouldn't even know that the picture you're seeing isn't completely original.

Then again, I wish the Star Wars "Special Editions" were just an effect I could turn off on my TV!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #1157
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
We're getting to the point, if we're not there already, where the scourge of film grain can be removed to preserve a crystal-clear picture for future generations and you wouldn't even know that the picture you're seeing isn't completely original.
But then it wouldn't look like film any more.
Thanks given by:
jvonl (10-13-2016), kidglov3s (10-13-2016), TheOneWithThePrize (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #1158

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
But then it wouldn't look like film any more.
True, although no one seems bothered that modern HD films don't show heavy grain. For the sake of argument, it could be a reduction rather than removal to simulate modern visual standards. (NOTE: I don't actually expect this and also have qualms about old shows and films being tinkered with.)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #1159
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
True, although no one seems bothered that modern HD films don't show heavy grain. For the sake of argument, it could be a reduction rather than removal to simulate modern visual standards. (NOTE: I don't actually expect this and also have qualms about old shows and films being tinkered with.)
Sorry. I'm done here.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #1160
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
Those caps look very good. My only experience with this show (other than when I was a kid) was streaming it on NetFlix, and this is miles ahead of that.

Looking forward to picking this up soon.

Edit: Well now I just saw the news of the series being released in the UK with more room on the discs per episode, etc.. Hmmm...
Where did you read that, if I may ask? Knight Rider too?
When are they gonna release these movies on BD?:Crossroads (W. Hill; Steve Vai),Fun with Dick & Jane (Jim Carrey, Tea L.), Man on the Moon (Jim C.),Diana Krall-LiveattheMontrealJ.F., Alien Autopsy,Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys (Jodie Foster),Housesitter(Steve M., Goldie H.),Bowfinger (S. M.), Shopgirl (S. M.),OutofTowners (S.M.),Spanglish,Odd Couple 2 (Jack L., Walter M.),Wallace and Gromit-The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America